Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,253 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic (31953 Views)

Talented Nigerian Artist That Draws Hyper Realistic Portraits (photos) / I'm Scared About My Future, Career Wise / Drama As Scared Nigerian Cadet Refuses To Jump During Military Training. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by odenkirk: 2:22pm On Apr 28, 2023
i will be 30 next year im depressed and afraid

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Letlovelead213: 2:23pm On Apr 28, 2023
Raalsalghul:

My thoughts too when reading his posts.

He's doing very well compared to most Nigerians.

It's just he's very ambitious.

There is nothing wrong with very being ambitious. It’s better you should be smart early in life and make others think you are stupid while you already have a blue print already to tackle solutions. Day there day play brother na one life you get. No be nine

3 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by klawaaa: 2:24pm On Apr 28, 2023
The guy is going okay. You have gotten what's esential of life. Material things are relative and you can't have them all. He has gotten a happy home and childern which money can not get him. He just have to be hopeful and keep working to actualize his dreams!
tensazangetsu20:
I think you are doing okay. You are feeding your family so be very grateful as many Nigerian families can't feed.

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by tonicyril: 2:24pm On Apr 28, 2023
Raalsalghul:

What are u guys saying...he said he doesn't even have savings to process something like international passport which is like ordinary 50k....which means he can't afford to borrow someone 50k for up to a month not to talk of gifting someone 20k..

Op.. forgive me, u re trying but u need to put more effort sir...this is life where men are born to suffer but u can turn tins around only if Ur wife is striving to help out.

If u can get a lone from Ur company pls do and open a foodstuffs shop for Ur wife..

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by LavishINC: 2:26pm On Apr 28, 2023
Bro take this serious, just start counting your blessings and with a grateful heart..peace
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by leisuretym: 2:27pm On Apr 28, 2023
Sorry Bro, it’s not easy in Nigeria, most are just faking it, some are fraudulent, only very few figures it right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Gaddafih001(m): 2:28pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:

My wife is an NCE holder. She previously worked with a fast food Mon-Sun before she left to start trading in crates of egg.
No plan to have another child for now sir
Where do you stay?
There are early bloomers and there are late bloomers.
Do not blame yourself,just walk with your pace.
REMEMBER,for by strength shall no man prevail.
Put God first in all your affairs and he will direct your paths.
That’s my own advice.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Munamu: 2:28pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders
I will be 40 on Oct 19 this year and I am scared the kind of life I have always desired may not be
achievable. Let me list these things that worries me so that you can probably advise me or assist me in achieving any of them.
1) By 40 I had wished I will be living in my house with cars in my garage
Current situation- I am a salary earner who eagerly waits for the salary to drop before my family can eat conveniently every month.
2)I love cars and driving. Was thinking of getting a good car for Uber business.
Current situation- I have not been able to gather enough money to buy a car for Uber or personal use.
3)Seeking greener pasture abroad.
Current situation- I have not been able to have enough disposable income to even get a passport to start with in the first place.
4)Self development. I had interest in programming so I decided to learn coding and all that. I started with free code camp and also this thread by iyenimofe on nairaland has been so helpful https://www.nairaland.com/1383359/learn-web-design-live-nairaland/6#17571611
The issue I have progressing is that of enough data subscription to watch more tutorials.
5)Acquisition of at least Masters.
I have a passion for learning and self development but I struggled to have my HND with distinction. Gathering enough funds to start my masters program has been an uphill task.

Little about my background
I am an HND graduate
I have a sister who am responsible for also.
I have a wife and two kids.
I work 8-5weekdays
Be thankful you are alive, many have achieved greater feat but had their lives cut off prematurely.

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by MrHighSea: 2:29pm On Apr 28, 2023
It's scary.
The younger ones might smirk it off, until it dawns on them.

Something like have been in my thoughts.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 28, 2023
Welcome to reality 101. Most of those dreams should have been achieved before marriage and two kids.

6 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Voiceofthestree: 2:30pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders
I will be 40 on Oct 19 this year and I am scared the kind of life I have always desired may not be
achievable. Let me list these things that worries me so that you can probably advise me or assist me in achieving any of them.
Current situation- I am a salary earner who eagerly waits for the salary to drop before my family can eat conveniently every month.
2)I love cars and driving. Was thinking of getting a good car for Uber business.
Current situation- I have not been able to gather enough money to buy a car for Uber or personal use.
Current situation- I have not been able to have enough disposable income to even get a passport to start with in the first place.
4)Self development. I had interest in programming so I decided to learn coding and all that. I started with free code camp and also this thread by iyenimofe on nairaland has been so helpful https://www.nairaland.com/1383359/learn-web-design-live-nairaland/6#17571611
The issue I have progressing is that of enough data subscription to watch more tutorials.
I have a passion for learning and self development but I struggled to have my HND with distinction. Gathering enough funds to start my masters program has been an uphill task.

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

Is not too late go do ritual

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by diogo23: 2:30pm On Apr 28, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I think you are doing okay. You are feeding your family so be very grateful as many Nigerian families can't feed.
So he should be grateful and remain like that right because he can feed his family? He is a tight thinking man not people like you

4 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2023
GboyegaD:
Life is no competition. Keep working towards them. If you have passion for learning, with your HND, you should be able to get into a fully funded PhD in America and that will answer your migration quest.

HND to fully funded scholarship in the US with an HND?

E ni pe?

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:32pm On Apr 28, 2023
diogo23:

So he should be grateful and remain like that right because he can feed his family? He is a tight thinking man not people like you

It could be worst. He could be a family man with hungry kids and not be able to pay school fees like millions of Nigerian families.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by jedaii(m): 2:33pm On Apr 28, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Very ambitious kwama, he just wants a better Life

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by tbliss22(m): 2:34pm On Apr 28, 2023
SmartyPants:
Well for you I think it may be too late - you may need to adjust your dreams a little.

But I think this thread should be a warning to the unmarried - don't rush into marriage. Before you do, you need to work and build up to the stage where marriage will help you develop your dreams, not hinder them.

2 years ago, a colleague from the university who had gotten married looked me in the eye and said Smarty don't do it! - until you've accomplished your self development dreams otherwise marriage may become a trap.

Get that master's first. Build that side business first. Buy that car first. if within reach, build that house first. And not getting married early doesn't mean running around with women either.

Is it possible to like this comment 100 times?

You said it all... We are all wired differently, with different upbringing... So many advisers and pressure inducing persons everywhere... But just very few will be ready to help with that resources of life you need to climb up.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Angelfrost(m): 2:35pm On Apr 28, 2023
There is a reason we advise people to have S.M.A.R.T dreams or goals (look up the meaning of the acronym)!

Many young people in Nigeria and beyond don't have realistic or SMART dreams.

We think what is portrayed by yeyebrities on social media is real! Lol!

No wonder a lady had the guts to say she can't date any man earning less than 800k a month! Lol! grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by tosinhtml: 2:38pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:

Focus on just one or two goals, that is how you will achieve it. Your goals are too much, calm down & re-focus.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 28, 2023
The truth is you are afraid to take risks. Nothing will come on a platter of gold, you need to work for it. You are not a failure, you just have to take risks towards actualizing your dream. That's what I did.

I was once a salary earner, I apprenticed cinematography and video editing. I quit my job against all odds, I became a well known film maker. I saved so hard, now am studying Vfx in Barcelona and that's besides other things I have achieved as a film maker.

You can achieve if you believe but first you need to take risks

7 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by dafeoroyo: 2:39pm On Apr 28, 2023
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his interest in soul winning and ALL this thing shall be added unto you in 100 folds...I swear

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by lendahand(m): 2:39pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

quit salary earning fast bro abeg. I have a lot to tell you later. You can still make it but do business first.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by gaddafe(m): 2:41pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

Please don't sweat yourself over it. This is the true situation of most people in Nigeria. I'm just a bit different from you. I'm 38 and the only difference I can take from your post is that I have a degree and I already have my passport. That data for learning programming also hindered me from learning it even though I've started. I also have a side hustle. Please don't kill yourself over it. Everyone have what he or she is facing, we can't just kill ourself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by bepositive11: 2:42pm On Apr 28, 2023
One advice I will give you is focus on one thing first. You talk about Uber then self development then moving abroad then getting Masters. Prioritize them and focus on the one that is most important to you first.

greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by IbroMaka(m): 2:42pm On Apr 28, 2023
Dude , we share almost same story

All I gotta tell you is "Never give up without a fight!"

Life they say begins at 40

80% of the world billionaires made their billions from 40... Mostly after 50 years of age

Never abandon Hope!

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Zeezenho: 2:46pm On Apr 28, 2023
Oga chill. All you need to do in life is plan preparation and executions and further plan prepare and more executions you may fail 100times with time nature will reward you far more than expected.

At 45 i had nothing even my loved wife left me and remarried. Now at 47 my company it yielding over 20m monthly projecting 100m monthly in 5 years so chill bro.

I strongly advice you be strong spiritually if you are xtian or Muslim pray more. me am a traditionalists I went back to my ancestors and they are providing me guidance.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by GboyegaD(m): 2:46pm On Apr 28, 2023
Skyview01:

HND to fully funded scholarship in the US with an HND?

E ni pe?

Can't count the number of those who have done it and many will still do. Just go to travel section and read up the US Student Visa page. I am no longer active on there but you can get all necessary information needed on there.
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by SeriouslySense(m): 2:47pm On Apr 28, 2023
Maybe you can make your goals a bit flexible, are there any other things you can do, or that take less time to achieve and pay modestly.

For instance, food production, its not difficult, it takes good planning and consistency and pays well also.

Could be catering, could be cleaning service, could be repairs could be some kind of added value, and demonstrating this and reliability.

You always want to be trustworthy and have others interest at heart smiley

Its always good to have a good team, sometimes people walk alone and move at a slower pace.

Most graduates do not have good associates or could not form teams across different specializations, or interconnections, which are trustworthy, reliable and on the same page.
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by bepositive11: 2:51pm On Apr 28, 2023
SmartyPants:
Well for you I think it may be too late - you may need to adjust your dreams a little.

But I think this thread should be a warning to the unmarried - don't rush into marriage. Before you do, you need to work and build up to the stage where marriage will help you develop your dreams, not hinder them.

2 years ago, a colleague from the university who had gotten married looked me in the eye and said Smarty don't do it! - until you've accomplished your self development dreams otherwise marriage may become a trap.

Get that master's first. Build that side business first. Buy that car first. if within reach, build that house first. And not getting married early doesn't mean running around with women either.

There are lots of men who married early before they had anything but still became very successful. It really depends on the women you're marrying.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by MondayOsunbor(m): 2:52pm On Apr 28, 2023
Solsix:
That's the situation of many Nigerians don't loose focus u will get there

guy it is heart breaking

another expired men will rule Nigeria again

wasting young men useful age

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Metrofox(m): 2:52pm On Apr 28, 2023
didroon43:
Well it is not easy in Nigeria especially these past 8 years under Buhari.

What I can advise is to try to save and create another source of income. With two sources of income, you would be closer to your dreams than you can imagine.

Save, save, save .. So many goal keepers in Nigeria grin you can't save without satisfying your basic needs. He needs to find ways to boost his income, that should be the primary goal

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by elonize(m): 2:55pm On Apr 28, 2023
U don marry ,av not.
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Georgejeez: 2:56pm On Apr 28, 2023
grin grin just be contented bro , you aren't destined to be rich or be fortunate enough to jakpaa .
Just continue enjoying your wife , train your kids and fvck some side chicks in peace ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Discovery About Private Schools / She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back / The #nairalife Of A Finance Man In The Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.