Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More (10473 Views)

Imagine If Nigeria's Past Heroes Were Instagram Users... Lmao See For Yaself / If Nigeria Was To Divide.... / If NIGERIA Was To Divide Which Region Will SUFFER Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Nobody: 6:16am On Sep 26, 2011
I might have to log off now, my babe is kicking.

Enjoyed the convo, my people. Thank you cool
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by lagcity(m): 6:16am On Sep 26, 2011
^^^ of course Ekiti indigenes are in kwara. we have a local govt to ourselves. Ekiti LGA. but i still think it's messed up cutting Ekiti state from Ondo, then leaving us stranded in Kwara angry angry angry angry
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Nobody: 6:18am On Sep 26, 2011
lagcity:

^^^ of course Ekiti indigenes are in kwara. we have a local govt to ourselves. Ekiti LGA. but i still think it's messed up cutting Ekiti state from Ondo, then leaving us stranded in Kwara angry angry angry angry

If I should catch you ehnn angry Na me you dey joke with?o dun mi angry sad
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by lagcity(m): 6:18am On Sep 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I might have to log off now, my babe is kicking.

Enjoyed the convo, my people. Thank you cool

ok tk care. another day.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Onlytruth(m): 5:11pm On Sep 26, 2011
Posted by: LogicPower

Onlytruth: "Minus SE and parts of SS; SW would not be economically better than the North believe me."

I find it very, very difficult to believe this, simple because of the three obvious advantages I think the SW has over the North: access to the sea, much higher level of educational advancement and ethnic homogeneity.

The two bolded points are not too important, believe me.
If you doubt me, take a look at Somalia, and compare it to Chad.
Somalia has the longest coast in East Africa; while Chad is completely landlocked.
Chad is more than double richer (Per capita income: $1,600 (2010 est.); Somalia (Per capita income: $600 (2010 est.)

Northern Nigeria is rich in agriculture and so many minerals. If they get a fair parting share of offshore oil proceeds, they would be hard to beat economically FAR INTO THE FUTURE. Quote me on that.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Onlytruth(m): 5:13pm On Sep 26, 2011
. . .As for education, the North can always catch up if they see that they have no choice.
I believe they have been spoilt by current Nigerian system, whereby a hardly educated Northerner is made the overall boss in an institution propped up by educated Southerners .
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Onlytruth(m): 5:16pm On Sep 26, 2011
. . And BTW Somalia is also ethnically homogeneous.  cool
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Onlytruth(m): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2011
@LogicPower

Another beautiful examples are Mozambique and Zambia
Mozambique has the longest coast in South Eastern Africa, while Zambia is completely landlocked.

Zambia is richer by half.

So, what matters is what people are doing inside the country to grow the economy, not all these nature endowed stuff.
Some Nigerian journalists who returned from Mozambique stated that they have never seen a worse country.
One said he was happy to see a country that Nigeria is better than, hehe! grin
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by LogicPower(m): 12:21am On Sep 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

@LogicPower

Another beautiful examples are Mozambique and Zambia
Mozambique has the longest coast in South Eastern Africa, while Zambia is completely landlocked.

Zambia is richer by half.

So, what matters is what people are doing inside the country to grow the economy, not all these nature endowed stuff.
Some Nigerian journalists who returned from Mozambique stated that they have never seen a worse country.
One said he was happy to see a country that Nigeria is better than, hehe! grin

I agree all these present some good and valid instances whereby a land-locked country is doing better economically than a country with a long coastal area. However, they might still be exceptions, rather than the norm. !

I am not an economist (I only studied economics in secondary sch), but I still believe that having access to the sea offers a big, obvious economic advantage to a country, while being land-locked is such a big, obvious disadvantage to a country.

I also believe that ethnically homogeneous societies tend to be less susceptible to political instability than countries that are made up of several unwilling, often warring, ethnic entities.
And the more stable a country is, the greater its potential for achieving rapid economic growth.

So I still think these two factors (access to the sea and ethnic homogeneity) would offer some added advantages to the SW, which the North would not have, in the event of a break-up.

But does it mean any country with all the three advantages I mentioned would necessarily fare better than any country that does not have them? My answer is, of course, a big NO.

This is simply because there is a whole plethora of OTHER FACTORS that can help determine the economic progress of a country.

And we were also taught in secondary school that although economics as a subject is described in our textbooks as a 'science', it is very much different from physical sciences, hence its 'laws' are not as 'scientific' as, say, those of physics. 

But all the same, I think you did justice to the topic by spicing your highly logical and enlightened arguments with those concrete examples that appear so effortlessly comprehensible, even if they happen to be exceptions rather than the rule.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Beaf: 12:39am On Sep 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: LogicPower
The two bolded points are not too important, believe me.
If you doubt me, take a look at Somalia, and compare it to Chad.
Somalia has the longest coast in East Africa; while Chad is completely landlocked.
Chad is more than double richer (Per capita income: $1,600 (2010 est.); Somalia (Per capita income: $600 (2010 est.)

Northern Nigeria is rich in agriculture and so many minerals. If they get a fair parting share of offshore oil proceeds, they would be hard to beat economically FAR INTO THE FUTURE. Quote me on that.

I don't know where you got this dream that offshore oil will ever be shared with anyone if the country splits. Whoever has their shore abutting the ocean and their navy in offshore waters will own 100% of the oil and won't be sharing it with any phucker.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Beaf: 12:48am On Sep 29, 2011
IMHO, if the country were to split today, the SS would do best followed by the Middle Belt and SE (the Western parts of the SE would do exceedingly well). The core-North will really suffer and the SW will see a lot of brain drain, port business, oil coy hq's, banks etc following the money and heading for the SS. They will fare much better than the core-North though.

The SS will either stay together or form three countries; Cross River, Akwa Ibom and parts of Rivers could form one; Bayelsa, parts of Rivers and Delta could form another; parts of Delta and Edo could form a third.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by geez1: 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2012
Beaf: IMHO, if the country were to split today, the SS would do best followed by the Middle Belt and SE (the Western parts of the SE would do exceedingly well). The core-North will really suffer and the SW will see a lot of brain drain, port business, oil coy hq's, banks etc following the money and heading for the SS. They will fare much better than the core-North though.

The SS will either stay together or form three countries; Cross River, Akwa Ibom and parts of Rivers could form one; Bayelsa, parts of Rivers and Delta could form another; parts of Delta and Edo could form a third.

[b] The SS may have oil but no market for it but if they can take advantage of it through efficient leadership, they just may succeed but the SS leaders I see are all ravenous wolves

Other countries on the west African coast have already discovered oil and even in Ogun and Lagos, large deposits of oil have been discovered.

However, I believe the SE will lose the most simply because it is a landlocked state and the pressure on the limited and in some cases non existent infrastructure will be unthinkable as Igbos from other regions of Nigeria congregate in Igboland which barely larger than Oyo State.

The North can also prosper if they take advantage of their vast agricultural resource and thrive on agro allied industries

For the SW, the story of its development will be in the inherent potential it has in its people, its rescources and the enlightened elite it has. Rewind back to the Western Region and compare the rate of development of each region and do the maths. If the SW had not been bundled under the guise of federalism into the One Nigeria project, by now SA would have been second best in Africa. [/b]
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
geez*:

[b] The SS may have oil but no market for it but if they can take advantage of it through efficient leadership, they just may succeed but the SS leaders I see are all ravenous wolves

Other countries on the west African coast have already discovered oil and even in Ogun and Lagos, large deposits of oil have been discovered.

However, I believe the SE will lose the most simply because it is a landlocked state and the pressure on the limited and in some cases non existent infrastructure will be unthinkable as Igbos from other regions of Nigeria congregate in Igboland which barely larger than Oyo State.

The North can also prosper if they take advantage of their vast agricultural resource and thrive on agro allied industries

For the SW, the story of its development will be in the inherent potential it has in its people, its rescources and the enlightened elite it has. Rewind back to the Western Region and compare the rate of development of each region and do the maths. If the SW had not been bundled under the guise of federalism into the One Nigeria project, by now SA would have been second best in Africa. [/b]

Your hatred and bigotry will not let you reason properly. This is how you fail exam...I pity you!
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Malawian(m): 2:36pm On Dec 04, 2012
@ ekt bear, are you actually a guy? you sound so much like a woman. what gender are you pls?
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by Malawian(m): 2:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
how exactly is igboland landlocked? do river niger and imo river not flow out to sea or will someone prevent our vessels from using it? everybody uses the suez canal which is not even wider than any of the two rivers.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:42pm On Dec 04, 2012
Malawian: how exactly is igboland landlocked? do river niger and imo river not flow out to sea or will someone prevent our vessels from using it? everybody uses the suez canal which is not even wider than any of the two rivers.

They claim to be educated yet sound so blindly ignorant so ignorant and illogical! I am laughing at these fools.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by vicenzo(m): 5:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
geez*:

Finally,this guy has lost it.
Re: If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More by demmie1: 6:10pm On Dec 04, 2012
look at it this way; a scale over 10 to predict performance.
The North ups: agricultural potential and non oil mineral resources that can be tapped to create a strong economy. downs: will be a divided state in itself where the hausa/fulani try to impose themselves on the igala, tiv jukun and others who will resist because them eye don open. they also have unfinished crisis with SW over ilorin and yagba teritories, verdict 6/10

The South-South downs: will be divided on Ijaw versus others crisis; and will be prey to the SE who will try to bully them directly over oil and former links with biafra, the SW that will try and use its relationship with bini and itshe to try and carve up more oil lands from SS. ups: if the edoids/bini refuse SW, itsekiri will not, SS(edoids+ijaws)can invite the USA as guardians if the get themselves united. 8/10

The South-West ups has untapped oil in ondo, lagos and ogun states, and can also claim itshekiri lands as part of its own, with its highly developed industrial sectors and fertile land for agriculture, the SW can also unite with bini that will take along other edoid territories to join with it creating a strong, homo cultural nation Downs: edoids may refuse to join the SW and there will be war over ilorin and yabga territories with the north. 9/10

[b]The South East[/b]ups: hardworking, industrious and survival of the fittest attitude and with most of the population sourjorning outside the nation will make it succeed as a nation. downs: a nation of wanderers as evidenced by majority living out of the lands, landlocked and not fertile enough to support population, may not really have friends around it due to past histories. 7/10

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gen Muhammadu Buhari And Matters Arising... / Photos Of The Fattest Python You Will Ever See! As Big As A Tree Trunk / Saraki And Dogara At Joint Public Hearing On The Budget (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.