Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223177 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 8:04pm On May 08, 2012
Wow, this RGU people are really specific about naija applicants O. Imagine, not just grade barrier but school barrier too. Mean!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ibudes: 8:06pm On May 08, 2012
Hello

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by deenee: 7:02am On May 09, 2012
@ olu16, too bad you are graduating with a 2.2. The additional qualification is still a bit of a gamble if you don't have cognate experience to compliment your qualifications. This is because the job market is not what it use to be. There is a glut and supply far outweighs demand even in the oil and gas industry. Also, why petroleum economics? I presume you are an engineering student so why the 360 degree change?

I want to opine that as far as life changing career decisions are concerned, we all need to have a long term perspective in mind! I can't just decide to enroll for a course just because I like the name of the course or the school that offers it but rather see how such would be a strategic fit in the long term.

More so there is a huge capital investment involved so you need to be very sure that you are on the right track whilst analyzing all plausible outcomes from this intended endeavor. All the best!

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kristofa09(m): 9:59am On May 09, 2012
tanimola22:

I have always known that only high quality people acknowledge their limitations. I hail the highlighted statement above.

Truly yours,
T22
and 4 agip and addax whts there take hme pakage?slum n haliburton 2.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:56pm On May 09, 2012
kristofa09:
and 4 agip and addax whts there take hme pakage?slum n haliburton 2.

Hi,

I do not have answers to your questions. Let us await those who had worked or currently works for the above named oil companies.

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 9:09pm On May 09, 2012
After 4 years down the stream, I finally moved up the stream. I missed out on Shell by whiskers 4 years ago, and Total 2 years ago, but with God having His own plan, now entering the sub-sector as experienced hire.

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kristofa09(m): 9:44pm On May 09, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

I do not have answers to your questions. Let us await those who had worked or currently works for the above named oil companies.

T22.

k...thank u.its like u work wth total?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:18pm On May 09, 2012
kristofa09:
k...thank u.its like u work wth total?

No, I don't.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 11:32am On May 10, 2012
Tanimola22 seems to have such widespread knowledge of people who've gotten jobs with IOCs. . . .whether from UK schools, US schools, French schools or even 'jaiye jaiye' schools sef. cheesy

Were you are recruitment consultant in a previous life? cheesy

@ topic

Total do appear to pay well above their contemporaries in Nigeria, partly due to accelerated development projects that they have underway. Another reason for this pay differential may be the fact that their production fields offshore tend to have a high proportion of gas/gas condensate, which is not subject to OPEC quotas and hence they can sell as much as they produce with few limitations.

Jarus: After 4 years down the stream, I finally moved up the stream. I missed out on Shell by whiskers 4 years ago, and Total 2 years ago, but with God having His own plan, now entering the sub-sector as experienced hire.

Congrats egbon Jarus - more power to your elbow. . . .abeg you fit find work for your broda? grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:18pm On May 10, 2012
debosky: Tanimola22 seems to have such widespread knowledge of people who've gotten jobs with IOCs. . . .whether from UK schools, US schools, French schools or even 'jaiye jaiye' schools sef. cheesy

Were you are recruitment consultant in a previous life? cheesy

@ topic

Total do appear to pay well above their contemporaries in Nigeria, partly due to accelerated development projects that they have underway. Another reason for this pay differential may be the fact that their production fields offshore tend to have a high proportion of gas/gas condensate, which is not subject to OPEC quotas and hence they can sell as much as they produce with few limitations.

Congrats egbon Jarus - more power to your elbow. . . .abeg you fit find work for your broda? grin

Not really. Though I have lived in many of these countries and have come in contact with many naijans in the diaspora. Plus the school I graduated from in naija, people there are known to pursue further studies abroad, especially at above average US or UK schools.

All these contributed to my having a panoramic knowledge of all these things.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 1:20pm On May 10, 2012
Panoramic knowledge indeed! If you don't mind me asking, what university did you attend in Nigeria and when did you graduate?

For all I know I might also be within the scope of your panoramic knowledge, in which case I'd like to tap into your extensive network. wink
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:48pm On May 10, 2012
debosky: Panoramic knowledge indeed! If you don't mind me asking, what university did you attend in Nigeria and when did you graduate?

For all I know I might also be within the scope of your panoramic knowledge, in which case I'd like to tap into your extensive network. wink

hahaha.

Unilag and 06/07 set.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ayox2003: 4:56pm On May 10, 2012
Jarus: After 4 years down the stream, I finally moved up the stream. I missed out on Shell by whiskers 4 years ago, and Total 2 years ago, but with God having His own plan, now entering the sub-sector as experienced hire.
Gods plan must always prevail. Is it Exxon Mobil? And did you write an article on Yekini, lately? I saw an article in Punch that has your name on it.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by hobat4cash(m): 12:52am On May 11, 2012
just curious to know what next when ones name is shortlisted after the application process. Just that i need to start preparing early for whatever will come cos am optimistic of being shortlisted, God willing though. kiss
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:16am On May 11, 2012
hobat4cash: just curious to know what next when ones name is shortlisted after the application process. Just that i need to start preparing early for whatever will come cos am optimistic of being shortlisted, God willing though. kiss

Long and grueling tests and interviews and assessment centers. There are no guarantees until you resume work. My counsel for you is to do your best but never attach your emotions. This strategy has been known to work, in fact it worked for the guy whose corpulent salary started this particular thread (I refer you to page 1). He never shouted eureka until he got in. Someone that some of us were doing big boys for, he just became a very big boy overnight. This life na wa. grin

Anyway, you may want to employ his carefree and less hypertensive strategy.

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by OdunetLbs: 9:52am On May 11, 2012
Good day, I'm a recent mech grad with a "superior" undergraduate degree from a public uni in nigeria...I would be through with Nysc by june nxt yr...I intend to get into the o&g industry immediatly I'm done...I would like to know the things I could do btw now and june next year to improve my chances...already I have self taught myself SolidWorks, pipeflow, matlab, c++, autocad suite...I'm also a member of p/bodies like spe, asme...

tanimola22:

Many things in naija have always depended on whom one knows.

Yes, it is God whose help we need.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 11:18am On May 11, 2012
tanimola22:

hahaha.

Unilag and 06/07 set.

Interesting. . .I attended Unilag as well, but a few years earlier than you did.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:17pm On May 11, 2012
debosky:

Interesting. . .I attended Unilag as well, but a few years earlier than you did.

Great!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 11, 2012
debosky:

this guy don old oh. grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by candylips(m): 4:52pm On May 11, 2012
oil company good o. See as these heavy things dey hit my account. UK is becoming a distant memory these days grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 5:29pm On May 11, 2012
candylips: oil company good o. See as these heavy things dey hit my account. UK is becoming a distant memory these days grin

Hit dem back now cheesy
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 8:17pm On May 11, 2012
Debo, T, never knew u guys attended Lag, Debo in particular, thought you had all your degrees abroad.

Anyway, unlike we Ife wey dey carry signboard for face, flaunting our school. Lol

Interesting, but not surprised sha. I have always known Lag to produce loaded and exposed grads, plus the swagga. cheesy
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 8:40pm On May 11, 2012
davidylan:

this guy don old oh. grin

You still old pass me sha! cheesy

Jarus: Debo, T, never knew u guys attended Lag, Debo in particular, thought you had all your degrees abroad.

Anyway, unlike we Ife wey dey carry signboard for face, flaunting our school. Lol

Interesting, but not surprised sha. I have always known Lag to produce loaded and exposed grads, plus the swagga. cheesy

Dem don add Akoka and Nsukka to abroad? cheesy

Like you said, all na swagga, film trick dey work sometimes.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 8:45pm On May 11, 2012
Odunet Lbs: @tanimola

Good day, I'm a recent mech grad with a "superior" undergraduate degree from a public uni in nigeria...I would be through with Nysc by june nxt yr...I intend to get into the o&g industry immediatly I'm done...I would like to know the things I could do btw now and june next year to improve my chances...already I have self taught myself SolidWorks, pipeflow, matlab, c++, autocad suite...I'm also a member of p/bodies like spe, asme...

Right from my 200 level days, I had always dreamt of working in the O&G industry. Firstly because I hated bank job and banking was the largest absorber oflabour then, and I knew after bank, only O&G can be more financially rewarding. Secondly because winning Chevron scholarship in year 2, I had the illusion that I stood a bright chance with Chevron after graduating(forgetting that hundreds of other students are also Chevron scholars). Well, I always prayed to get O&G job then, till I graduated. And the prayer was answered: aside the few months I spent in investment banking pre-NYSC all my post-NYSC career has been in O&G, just crossed to upstream after 4 years in downstream. I observe that more than half of Nigerian company grads, when asked the sector of dream, in final year, will say Oyel. Well, truth is the sector cannot absorb more than 10%. In my set for example(Economics), only 3 are in the sector: me, one in Shell and the 3rd in Mobil. Accounting has up to 10. Engineering courses surely have more. Another interesting thing is that it may not follow the order of 'effico' in class. Although the best grad in my class and the set after mine are both in Shell now, this is not always the case. In many sets, while the best grads are just sitting in banks(or lower jobs), the students that were not seen among the frontliners in class may be the ones that will be get O&G jobs, and on merit. So a number of dynamics go into it. In general, try to equip yourself for it, most oil coys, esp IOCs, are merit-driven, but hey, pls don't wait for O&G only pls.

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 9:01pm On May 11, 2012
ayox2003:
Gods plan must always prevail. Is it Exxon Mobil? And did you write an article on Yekini, lately? I saw an article in Punch that has your name on it.
Not Mobil.
Yeah, I wrote the article. Published in Punch on Tuesday.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 11, 2012
Jarus:
Not Mobil.
Yeah, I wrote the article. Published in Punch on Tuesday.
I Also have that Dream too ( Working in O & G) and surely know one day it will come to pass, by then i lo make reference to this post.. Can u give us a link the article u wrote on tues.. Your blog seems to be down for now
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 11, 2012
Jarus:

Right from my 200 level days, I had always dreamt of working in the O&G industry. Firstly because I hated bank job and banking was the largest absorber oflabour then, and I knew after bank, only O&G can be more financially rewarding. Secondly because winning Chevron scholarship in year 2, I had the illusion that I stood a bright chance with Chevron after graduating(forgetting that hundreds of other students are also Chevron scholars). Well, I always prayed to get O&G job then, till I graduated. And the prayer was answered: aside the few months I spent in investment banking pre-NYSC all my post-NYSC career has been in O&G, just crossed to upstream after 4 years in downstream. I observe that more than half of Nigerian company grads, when asked the sector of dream, in final year, will say Oyel. Well, truth is the sector cannot absorb more than 10%. In my set for example(Economics), only 3 are in the sector: me, one in Shell and the 3rd in Mobil. Accounting has up to 10. Engineering courses surely have more. Another interesting thing is that it may not follow the order of 'effico' in class. Although the best grad in my class and the set after mine are both in Shell now, this is not always the case. In many sets, while the best grads are just sitting in banks(or lower jobs), the students that were not seen among the frontliners in class may be the ones that will be get O&G jobs, and on merit. So a number of dynamics go into it. In general, try to equip yourself for it, most oil coys, esp IOCs, are merit-driven, but hey, pls don't wait for O&G only pls.

lol same here. I even went to chevron in year 4, armed with my scholarship letter to ask (demand is more like it) an internship. For where?
Thankfully i am a few days away from getting an offer to join the number 1 company on the fortune 500 list. Who says God no dey answer prayer? Abegi! Oyel is where the money is at.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 10:16pm On May 11, 2012
Hmmmmmm, oyel money
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:28am On May 12, 2012
Jarus: Debo, T, never knew u guys attended Lag, Debo in particular, thought you had all your degrees abroad.

Na so now. It is the pride that comes with being an alumnus of Ife.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:37am On May 12, 2012
davidylan:

lol same here. I even went to chevron in year 4, armed with my scholarship letter to ask (demand is more like it) an internship. For where?
Thankfully i am a few days away from getting an offer to join the number 1 company on the fortune 500 list. Who says God no dey answer prayer? Abegi! Oyel is where the money is at.

Congrats in advance. Exxon is definitely a great place. There is a nairalander there. Perhaps you both may meet someday, especially if you are an engineer.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Toughluv(m): 7:05am On May 12, 2012
@tanimola22:
You have really done well with all ur posts. Also i have read ur conversation with olu16, that girl will go places cos of her young age. Am studing mech engr in LAUTECH, will soon round off as well, a semester to go, i like to do my MSC in IFP too, i wont decieve u am cumin out 2:2. I have started studing materials for GRE GMAT and tofel, but the problem is my age and am even thinking of shenking NYSC sef...lol. So i need guidelines and your adv on hw to go abt it. Am looking at technical courses cos of my background unlike olu16. I hope to make 2013 addmission, which starts dis nov as u have said ealier. Do i need to do both Gmat and Gre ? I believe with God impossible is nothing! Hope to read from you. Here is my email address, should you deemed it fit to email me with any info (bussabossng45@gmail.com). And if requesting for ur email is not a SIN,i will be most honoured to have it! Thanks in anticipation. Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.