Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting (29229 Views)

I Fainted On The Road Today While Searching For A Job / START A SIDE BUSINESS TODAY WHILE SEARCHING FOR JOB / The Day I Got Stranded At Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by Bigsunny01(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2023
So sorry bro

Make sure to go for scan to be sure of internal injury very important...speaking from experience
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by Etranshub(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2023
Sorry chief... May God continue to protect all the wiork men out there
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by sonature1: 2:28pm On May 11, 2023
If you work at height, you are supposed to have a watcher who will always help you hold the ladder firmly to the wall while you work. We advise people against working without a watcher.

Please stop putting your life at risk because you have kids whose future depends on you - don't shatter their future. Don't work without a watcher. Let this be a lesson.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by Nuelebenz(m): 2:28pm On May 11, 2023
Sorry dude, in any career you take safety first.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by dotedote: 2:35pm On May 11, 2023
And i can also say with certainty that if OP had purchased the needed safety items to wear for the job, his total wage wouldnt cover the cost. You wan bet ?
airsaylongcome:
Zero safety awareness in the country. I can say with very certainty that OP did not have a harness to strap him to a secure point. Get well soon OP

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by kinkydude: 2:41pm On May 11, 2023
Sorry bro, it's ok to be a better person, even more than our mentors.Go for an x-ray pls.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by mechanics(m): 2:43pm On May 11, 2023
Wish you speedy recovery.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by Kaykay(m): 2:46pm On May 11, 2023
Have you ever heard about fall arrest before? That is the technology/safety equipment when working at a height in developed environment. Google it and learn.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by MumEmdy(f): 2:48pm On May 11, 2023
Sorry Sir, go for scan as advised. Divine intervention and may God bless the work of your hand🙌🙌

1 Like

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by phorget(m): 2:53pm On May 11, 2023
May God continue to protect us as we go about seeking for our daily bread...
God is your strength.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by alyarmouk(m): 2:54pm On May 11, 2023
Sorry, brother bernard
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by isabi2lof: 2:54pm On May 11, 2023
So sorry about that
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by Killermamba: 2:54pm On May 11, 2023
Blossommind:
I want to share what could have landed me in death or in a disfigured state but God said NO, having seen that I only came to hustle for my daily bread. There are cases of this type that people don't live to testify. I shall not die before my time.

Note: please I dont know how to write without errors and as I am in an unstable state now. So apology to English teachers and students in advance if you see errors. I'm a product of evening school.

First of all, I am a hustler and I have this strong desire to become a better person in life despite my background. 30+, father of two who still went back to school to study for a degree for the sake of the future, which is also putting additional pressure on me.

I do house painting and farming. So I got this small painting work that could have help me earn some money which I really needed it, thus, I grabbed it with joy. A one story building. It is one side of the house, given to me by the main contractor. Everything was going fine until at some point when i shifted the ladder to another position, put a stopper at the base so that the ladder won't slip. Everything looked good just like l have been doing all the while before I climbed it. While still climbing far up with a bucket of paint and long roller on my left hand, suddenly, the ladder slipped backwardly and with speed like siooooooooooood....... (like in a second or two) till it crashed landed. You know that kind sioooood sound. Meanwhile, I can't explain when the paint left my hand back to the ground and when I also left the ladder without even knowing, on free fall until I crash landed too. There was nothing to hold or anyway to help myself to land well. Chai, may we not die while looking for our daily bread. That was how I landed on my back roughly and hit the head on the wall. Chai, come and see me in this condition, no how you won't pity me. I didn't even know what to do immediately on crashing on the ground, to cry hungry me but I no fit cry at the same time.

Worse thing is that this kind of fall does not give any room to defend yourself. You just fall helplessly like a bag of fufu and land anyhow. Poor me! This hapoened after 10am today.

As it were, that was the end of the work and am back in the house now licking my wounds. Since the job is at personal-risk, whatever you see, you take. Nobody to complain to for sympathy.

Meanwhile, my second child is less than a month old. Praise be to God for not letting this moment of joy turn to tears, assuming injuries required medical emergency or even death.

To be a man is not a day job. It takes a lot to build to become a man especially, financially.

Right here at home, back/body pain, swollen head with serious headache (as I hit on the wall), dislocated joints (right wrist) and sharp pain around the left part of the waist, all going on around me.

"Brother Bernard" happened to me.
Bro go do scan for that head, to avoid story that touch the heart, you could have a fractured skull or internal bleeding. Please do the scan to be sure
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by phorget(m): 2:55pm On May 11, 2023
Kaykay:
Have you ever heard about fall arrest before? That is the technology/safety equipment when working at a height in developed environment. Google it and learn.

The young man was working in an ”underdeveloped environment” though so you dont expect him to be provided with any safety gear.

1 Like

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by jaxxy(m): 3:00pm On May 11, 2023
Securing the ladder is more important than Securing the bag.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by bigman001(m): 3:11pm On May 11, 2023
Blossommind:
I want to share what could have landed me in death or in a disfigured state but God said NO, having seen that I only came to hustle for my daily bread. There are cases of this type that people don't live to testify. I shall not die before my time.

Note: please I dont know how to write without errors and as I am in an unstable state now. So apology to English teachers and students in advance if you see errors. I'm a product of evening school.

First of all, I am a hustler and I have this strong desire to become a better person in life despite my background. 30+, father of two who still went back to school to study for a degree for the sake of the future, which is also putting additional pressure on me.

I do house painting and farming. So I got this small painting work that could have help me earn some money which I really needed it, thus, I grabbed it with joy. A one story building. It is one side of the house, given to me by the main contractor. Everything was going fine until at some point when i shifted the ladder to another position, put a stopper at the base so that the ladder won't slip. Everything looked good just like l have been doing all the while before I climbed it. While still climbing far up with a bucket of paint and long roller on my left hand, suddenly, the ladder slipped backwardly and with speed like siooooooooooood....... (like in a second or two) till it crashed landed. You know that kind sioooood sound. Meanwhile, I can't explain when the paint left my hand back to the ground and when I also left the ladder without even knowing, on free fall until I crash landed too. There was nothing to hold or anyway to help myself to land well. Chai, may we not die while looking for our daily bread. That was how I landed on my back roughly and hit the head on the wall. Chai, come and see me in this condition, no how you won't pity me. I didn't even know what to do immediately on crashing on the ground, to cry hungry me but I no fit cry at the same time.

Worse thing is that this kind of fall does not give any room to defend yourself. You just fall helplessly like a bag of fufu and land anyhow. Poor me! This hapoened after 10am today.

As it were, that was the end of the work and am back in the house now licking my wounds. Since the job is at personal-risk, whatever you see, you take. Nobody to complain to for sympathy.

Meanwhile, my second child is less than a month old. Praise be to God for not letting this moment of joy turn to tears, assuming injuries required medical emergency or even death.

To be a man is not a day job. It takes a lot to build to become a man especially, financially.

Right here at home, back/body pain, swollen head with serious headache (as I hit on the wall), dislocated joints (right wrist) and sharp pain around the left part of the waist, all going on around me.

Sorry brother, thank God it wasn't bad than this, i understand all you've said and i know what it feels like, just know this, no event no history, all this challenges are what will even motivate you more to be a better man, husband and father. Almighty God will surely bless your hustle...
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by PattyMike(m): 3:15pm On May 11, 2023
radiolover:

It's been long I posted in this forum but having come across this thread, I had to log in to make this post. Just like this person has said, it reminds me of a very dear one who died in the same circumstance. I don't know how you are going to do it but even if you have to borrow, borrow and go do scan. This will help you determine if you have sustained any internal injury or not and if yes, it will be tackled squarely, better than leaving it to degenerate. Please I strongly advise you to go do scan or x-ray to be sure of your health status.

Let me help you call on the mods if they can help you push this to front page so you hear what others would say.

Seun, Mynd44, Nlfpmod, Dominique, Lalasticlala

My brother easier said than done o. X-ray is expensive for someone that is trying to make ends meet. Trust me even if someone hands him the money, he will use it to take care of his family. I know how it is cus I’ve been there, family will come first even before his health.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by SoftBread01: 3:16pm On May 11, 2023
So sorry, sir!

We lost one of our workers yesterday and the second guy is still in a coma!
Both of them were plumbers, trying to make ends meet!
Sincerely, it takes the grace of God for one to go out and come back home safely.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by airsaylongcome: 3:17pm On May 11, 2023
dotedote:
And i can also say with certainty that if OP had purchased the needed safety items to wear for the job, his total wage wouldnt cover the cost. You wan bet ?

Which is preferable? To get a tool that will keep you safe and alive to perform several more jobs? Or to say "how much this job dey pay wey I go use bug money buy harness?". He didn't start painting at height today. If he had bought a harness years ago, he would have used it for multiple jobs reducing the cost of the harness per job
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by sholikay(m): 3:20pm On May 11, 2023
So sorry bro..this is what artisan that climbs height face...I am also a painter,sometimes back, I fell from a scaffold, of about 2 storey building, I slipped and fell in between the scaffold, I was almost at the last floor,before I quickly grabbed the bamboo,which stopped me from crashing onto the interlocking floor..It was so quick and scary...

I have also fell from a ladder too,while painting a storey building .it was just miracle that didn't make me sustain life threatening injuries...

To be a man no easy..

Interior decoration/painting has been my passion,reason why I didn't use my engineering certificate to look for office job...

I love painting.

It is well.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by Komu1048(m): 3:32pm On May 11, 2023
Lol, are u sure that's what happened? Coz most painters accident are self inflected

1 Like

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by basty: 3:35pm On May 11, 2023
God will hearken to your cry. I feel like crying. A helper shall arise for your needs IJN
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by emynike2001(m): 3:35pm On May 11, 2023
PattyMike:

My brother easier said than done o. X-ray is expensive for someone that is trying to make ends meet. Trust me even if someone hands him the money, he will use it to take care of his family. I know how it is cus I’ve been there, family will come first even before his health.

Seriously, Op needs financial support to run the x ray or CT SCAN. Reader can support him. Its not easy.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by DJInfluence: 3:58pm On May 11, 2023
Hope you don't get a concussion. It usually set in a day or two later. Keep an eye on it. Once you start noticing dizziness, then you might have a concussion.
Moral lesson to this story, secure your work environment before you start working.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by darexolu16(m): 4:01pm On May 11, 2023
Blossommind:

Sorry man...God will provide a very good job for u soon
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by sgtponzihater1(m): 4:02pm On May 11, 2023
Very good sense of humour despite a terrible fall. May the Lord heal you completely, without complications and may your rich journey unfold.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by itoba4real(m): 4:10pm On May 11, 2023
Sorry my brother i am wit u on this i am am mason i had previous experiences but i would advise never climb a scaffold or ladder until all safety measures are met. And also do not be on any alcohol on or before climbing on any scaffold
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by 360command: 4:19pm On May 11, 2023
Blossommind:
I

Africa, our problems are real. I understand the suffering but why do we still end up putting ourselves in a sorry state.

Anything above 4ft ,it is necessary we apply safety measures. If you are painting a 1-storey building or something high, how can you use a ladder knowing you will spend more time in it?

Why can't we rent scaffolders, lanyards, scissor lift proper Personal protective equipment (PPE).

We kill ourselves in this country.. we really do..

Now you have hurt yourself, no insurance , no govt support, no aid from anyone.

Wake-up Africa.

Ps: so sorry you had this accident
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by oghenewale: 4:26pm On May 11, 2023
Thank God the accident did not lead to FATALITY. Its' an unsafe act to work on a ladder alone and considering the height, you should always use body harness for safety purpose. Just ensure you go for proper medical check up asap.
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by AmazingELixir: 4:30pm On May 11, 2023
undecided

And this made front page...
Re: Bad Day: I Fell From Ladder Today While Doing House Painting by cutedharmee: 4:40pm On May 11, 2023
Pls lets try and help him in our own little way so he can go for medical check-up. 1k each from a cheerful giver would go a long way. Just my opinion thou.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Slot Nigeria Is Recruiting Nationwide / Confusion Over N-power As Scheme Takes Off Today / Immigration To Recruit 5,000 Personnel Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.