Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,061 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? (53291 Views)

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments / What Mistakes Did You Make And You Don't Want Your Children To Make? / If Your Brother Is Still Generous To Your Family After Marriage, Thank His Wife’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Octopusssy(f): 2:01pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
hehe entitled little jerk. They are everywhere .
Everywhere o. I have little patience for such people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 2:04pm On May 11, 2023
Octopusssy:

Well, it is painful to the eyes angry
hehe i would do better grin
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 2:06pm On May 11, 2023
mariahAngel:

cheesy
You cannot do everything by yourself, otherwise, you'd eventually wear yourself out.
In life, help is necessary for balance.

Nowadays, people delegate tasks/duties to make their lives easier, and at the same time, help others that are in need earn little cash.
not me mariah. my life is simple. and i can do it all myself lol

2 Likes

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Divoc19(f): 2:08pm On May 11, 2023
Some people are naturally jealous. Yes. Some siblings are not exempted

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by kkins25(m): 2:52pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
See at this point I don't understand most Nigerians anymore. Every time I offer a helping hand to Nigerians they turn to your enemy. I don't understand the dynamics behind it. The whole interaction just gets very awkward after that . It's like they hate you for " humbling " them. It never fails. But the ones who have a pure friendly relationship with you ? Are the ones you haven't given anything yet. So in my everyday life person to person I try to do charity because charity covers a multitude of sins and givers never lack. So this is a recent case study. This young guy , a security guard was sent by the company to guard the house I stay. I would say about 19 years old. One night I went grocery shopping and I was going through the gate he runs over from across the street and told me he was hungry. So I said what does he eat ? He said he likes indomie . So I went to my place and brought out like 5 indomie and 3 soft drinks and 2 sardines and gave it to him. He thAnked me. Every 2 days when I go out I would do small grocery shopping for him. Indomie and biscuits and soft drinks sardine or bread. A few times when I go out to get bottled palmwine for myself I would get him palmwine or orijin beer he likes. But I started noticing his entitlement behaviour like on the days when I don't buy him anything he would time when I Am coming home and sit beside my door when he sees me carrying my own groceries and he would be looking at me like he is depressed. And he would AlwYs be watching me to see if I am going grocery shopping and he would hang around the car to see if I would come out with grocery. Let's just say this guy got ridiculously stalkerish and so I called him up 4 days ago and asked him has his salary being paid yet ? He said yes. Because am thinking all these things he is doing because he is new on the job and has no money and is hungry so I put up with it for like a month . But once he told me yes that he had being paid, I in a roundabout way told him I don't tolerate the stalking. That he doesn't need to be following me or waiting on me. Anyway since that day this guy just turned into an enemy. Someone who I have been buying groceries for for almost a whole month just turned hostile like that . Now all that time I was buying him grocery he would do ass kissing stuff like when I drop my black trash bag outside my door he would take it to the bin outside for me but since that day the guy just bone my trash bags lol. Anyway the point here is this ? You create an enemy unknowingly out of those you help - not family members- because I think it is humiliating for them and they despise you for it, so if you are going to offer charity don't offer it to people you have to see on a daily basis. Just find a beggar in the street that you would never see again. Nigerians are funny, they beg you for money but they hate you for giving them that money especially if it is not a life changing amount. It's like a guy I gave 5000 naira one time and he thought it was an insult , just a regular guy who i dont even know like that,God is my witness, which 5000 is no money but it was just for him to buy beer for the weekend, you can get 15 beers with 5000 when I gave it to him. So out here on these streets you have to be savage. No more mr nice guy ooo lol. basically if you are not offering guys over 100k just forget it cuz they would hate you. look for a real beggar who would appreciate 5000 or 1000
try me nd see😂

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 2:54pm On May 11, 2023
kkins25:
try me nd see😂
hehe bro grin
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Autobot05: 3:35pm On May 11, 2023
This is why i don't really give a f ...
That way you wont think of anybody's entitlement mentality or what they think about you . I'd give you and go my way without waiting for your thank you or bla bla bla crap so you know it doesn't really matter to me

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
yeah lmao . Well no more. So many people would scheme to make you their work chop. Especially security guards. I saw the snake this morning unsolicitedly washing the BMW of the Neighbor. He has transferred to another person. I trust that other guy he is not civilised like me. You can wash his car 7 days a week and he will not drop shishi. Rich people are very stingy

That is why they became rich in the first place, by saving and investing their money. I see a lot of broke people squander the little they have and i see individuals with over $1 million in the account fight over 20cents fees charged on their accounts.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 4:38pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

That is why they became rich in the first place, by saving and investing their money. I see a lot of broke people squander the little they have and i see individuals with over $1 million in the account fight over 20cents fees charged on their accounts.
lol it's very true. There is this rich guy who was worth like 4 million dollars, he would only flush his toilet once a day because of water bills. But truly the more money you have the more you want to hold onto it . The less you have the more you want to spend it. It's weird

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
lol it's very true. There is this rich guy who was worth like 4 million dollars, he would only flush his toilet once a day because of water bills. But truly the more money you have the more you want to hold into it . The less you have the more you want to spend it. It's weird

I used to work in a bank and at month ends, accounts and transaction fees are charged. We have an instruction to reverse fees ONLY if the customers asked for it. Most rich people will 100% of the time ask for a reversal of the smallest amount and lots of the poor people never ask for their money back.

I have seen up to $180 reversible charges in transaction fees in a poor person's account and could have been reversed if they had asked for it but, guess what, they are either too proud, shy or ignorant to ask.

The distinction between being rich and poor goes deep into mentality and build up of individuals.

If you give 20million dollars each to all the young people today aged 20 years, in 25 years, the rich will still be rich and the poor would have squandered the 20 million dollars and still remain poor.

I give to people that are really in need; the motherless babies home, orphanage homes and the likes of that.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 5:02pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

I used to work in a bank and at moth ends, account and transaction fees are charged on the account. We have instructions to reverse ONLY if the customers asked for it. Most reach people will 100% of the time ask for a reversal of the smallest amount why a lot of poor people with nothing in the account always shy or no interested in asking for a reversal.

I have seen up to $180 reversible charges in transaction fees in a poor person's account and could have been reversed if they had asked for it but, guess what, they are either too proud or shy or ignorant to ask.

The distinction between being rich and poor goes deep into the mentality and build up of individuals.

If you give 20million dollars each to all the young people today aged 20 years, in 25 years, the rich will still be rich and the poor would have squandered the 20 million dollars and still remain poor.

I give to people that are really in need; the motherless babies home, orphanage homes and the likes of that.
i totally agree with you. It's a mindset. Being rich is a 24 7 job. You have to always be alert and assertive and scrutinise everything. It's hardwork. That's why most of those guys don't look very well. If you see a man who looks very well put together and heavily manicured and his hAirline is on point ? That's a mildly rich or comfortable man but if you see a guy who looks unkempt and rough looking and nervous and not very healthy ? ThTs a billionaire lol

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
i totally agree with you. It's a mindset. Being rich is a 24 7 job. You have to always be alert and assertive and scrutinise everything. It's hardwork. That's why most of those guys don't look very well. If you see a man who looks very well put together and heavily manicured and his hAirline is on point ? That's a mildly rich or comfortable man but if you see a guy who looks unkempt and rough looking and nervous and not very healthy ? ThTs a billionaire lol

100% agree.

I had a Nigerian lady walk up to me, Gucci bag, Gucci top and pullovers and looked very rich with a pair of gucci sunglasses to match but all her accounts in the negatives.

I also have this Vietnamese guy who wears the same shoe everyday and was always in the bank early in the morning to save money from his drycleaning business.
I had asked him once, why he did not buy a new pair of shoe and he told me he had no money.

Mind you he had about $500,000 in the cheqing account at the time.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 5:45pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

100% agree.

I had a Nigerian lady walk up to me, Gucci bag, Gucci top and pullovers and look verry rich with a pair of gucci sunglasses to match but all her accounts in the negatives.
I also have this Vietnamese guy who wears the same shoe everyday and he was always in the bank early in the morning to save money from his drycleaning business.
I had asked him once, why he did not buy a new pair of shoe and he told me he had no money.

Mind you he had about $500,000 in the cheqing account at the time.

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by phemmie06(m): 5:46pm On May 11, 2023
cheesy
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Tonytonex(m): 5:47pm On May 11, 2023
LOL at the title

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Blueseaa08: 5:48pm On May 11, 2023
Canada 2years work permit with temporary accommodation available, canada, australia, new zealand, scheghen and other europe countries visa application without stress. *features* direct employment with open permit *temp accommodation *no bank statement of account√ -contact us now or whatsapp us today. note: no down payment apart from the initial embassy visa fee and your documentation fee.

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by mrvitalis(m): 5:50pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
yeah lmao . Well no more. So many people would scheme to make you their work chop. Especially security guards. I saw the snake this morning unsolicitedly washing the BMW of the Neighbor. He has transferred to another person. I trust that other guy he is not civilised like me. You can wash his car 7 days a week and he will not drop shishi. Rich people are very stingy
Don't start with being humble ,start with putting them in their place for the first 6 months ....after that then you can help once in a while they would appreciate

How u treat people when u meet them ,their first mistake, first missed day , first lateness first anything matters in fact the first few months

Learnt this the hard way

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 5:52pm On May 11, 2023
ok. thank you mods for the fp. much appreciated

3 Likes

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by AZControversial(m): 5:53pm On May 11, 2023
smiley

Your generosity with him started out too frequently.
That's where the problem was.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Tonytonex(m): 5:53pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
See at this point I don't understand most Nigerians anymore. Every time I offer a helping hand to Nigerians they turn to your enemy. I don't understand the dynamics behind it. The whole interaction just gets very awkward after that . It's like they hate you for " humbling " them. It never fails.

But the ones who have a pure friendly relationship with you? Are the ones you haven't given anything yet. So in my everyday life person to person I try to do charity because charity covers a multitude of sins and givers never lack.

So this is a recent case study. This young guy , a security guard was sent by the company to guard the house I stay. I would say about 19 years old. One night I went grocery shopping and I was going through the gate he runs over from across the street and told me he was hungry. So I said what does he eat ? He said he likes indomie . So I went to my place and brought out like 5 indomie and 3 soft drinks and 2 sardines and gave it to him. He thanked me.

Every 2 days when I go out I would do small grocery shopping for him. Indomie and biscuits and soft drinks sardine or bread. A few times when I go out to get bottled palmwine for myself I would get him palmwine or orijin beer he likes. But I started noticing his entitlement behaviour like on the days when I don't buy him anything he would time when I Am coming home and sit beside my door when he sees me carrying my own groceries and he would be looking at me like he is depressed. And he would Always be watching me to see if I am going grocery shopping and he would hang around the car to see if I would come out with grocery.

Let's just say this guy got ridiculously stalkerish and so I called him up 4 days ago and asked him has his salary being paid yet? He said yes. Because am thinking all these things he is doing because he is new on the job and has no money and is hungry so I put up with it for like a month.

But once he told me yes that he had being paid, I in a roundabout way told him I don't tolerate the stalking. That he doesn't need to be following me or waiting on me. Anyway since that day this guy just turned into an enemy. Someone who I have been buying groceries for for almost a whole month just turned hostile like that. Now all that time I was buying him grocery he would do ass kissing stuff like when I drop my black trash bag outside my door he would take it to the bin outside for me but since that day the guy just bone my trash bags lol.

Anyway the point here is this ? You create an enemy unknowingly out of those you help - not family members- because I think it is humiliating for them and they despise you for it, so if you are going to offer charity don't offer it to people you have to see on a daily basis. Just find a beggar in the street that you would never see again. Nigerians are funny, they beg you for money but they hate you for giving them that money especially if it is not a life changing amount.

It's like a guy I gave 5000 naira one time and he thought it was an insult, just a regular guy who I don't even know like that, God is my witness, which 5000 is no money but it was just for him to buy beer for the weekend, you can get 15 beers with 5000 when I gave it to him.

So out here on these streets you have to be savage. No more mr nice guy ooo lol. basically if you are not offering guys over 100k just forget it cuz they would hate you. look for a real beggar who would appreciate 5000 or 1000.
I concur. I had this same experience also.
I've learned. We move

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by GorgeousAF(f): 5:53pm On May 11, 2023
Omo I learnt this a long time ago. These guys can feel so entitled!!! As long as your salary is given to you as at when due,I don't owe you jack grin...I no dey give shi Shi...that" onyeoma Cy" is not for me.... asides the fact that they act entitled,they are still ungrateful...I rather give to total strangers who would appreciate!!!
Plus d moment you stop giving them anything you will see their true colors....they don't do anything free for you once they know they stand to gain or benefit nothing!!!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by mjuvey3: 5:54pm On May 11, 2023
PeterTinubu:
I rather burn my money than help any human being again.

Help? That syllable ain't in my Dico 😩

I used to be the nicest guy alive until I got betrayed & backstabbed by one of my closest disciples whom I helped so much in life.

Human beings don't deserve help, everyone should struggle for him/herself.

Life is a jungle and only the strong survive ❗

You vicious bro 😁

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by yeyebrity: 5:54pm On May 11, 2023
This also happens amongst family members. If you want to test how loyal a family member is to you, just lose your job, then you will see their true colors. I always tell people never to make anyone completely dependent on them because the day you fail to deliver, you will become an enemy. I also try not to depend on people so I don't end up behaving like those ingrates.

I am currently assisting a teenage boy whose parents don't care of his existence. But I am careful about the way I go about it because I noticed the dude is becoming too entitled. That feeling that you owe him because you have been assisting him. I try to space the times I assist so he won't think I am his responsibility.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by 1x2x3: 5:54pm On May 11, 2023
It's general human pattern for most people who don't think.

Give once, they thank you.
Give twice, they expect a third time.
Give the third time, they become entitled.

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:55pm On May 11, 2023
I think Na you dey reason am too much... I stay somewhere around the Island during holidays, our gateman is also a young man... Na if we give am, him go collect o... If we no get to give am, we no dey even look him face... Nobody send him to help us with trash or any other job... So, since we don't send him on any work outside his duty, we no send him mama o

If peradventure we send him on an errand outside his duty, we try to compensate him ... Shikena

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by OlujobaSamuel: 5:56pm On May 11, 2023
Lol, there are these guys at the bus stop towards my area, they will always hail to give them something, I've given all of them once each(individually).
I will just ignore them anytime they tried to ask as they always tried to whenever I'm going home. The worst part is that the day you need them, they will still want you to pay, so I just ignore them.
Another na those boys wey dey sell snacks for people or security at the malls, I will be like u no dey collect salary??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by nick50(m): 5:57pm On May 11, 2023
Guess the gate man na yoruba...na thier trademark be dat,they even do it in business

4 Likes

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Princelyon247(m): 5:57pm On May 11, 2023
Omo it's annoying, my boss has been experiencing this

Thank God I no get this kinda nonsense spirit of entitlement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by PeterTinubu(m): 5:58pm On May 11, 2023
mjuvey3:

You vicious bro 😁

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 11, 2023
sad so sad

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by tonididdy(m): 6:01pm On May 11, 2023
That security guard is prolly of igbo origin

... They don't appreciate anything that isn't instant life changing. They see such generosity as their birthright but they can never in turn do it for anyone else

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Caught My Neighbour's Kids Having Sex...should I Tell Their Parents? / My 19yr Old Wife Is Back, Safe And Sound. / She Married An Old Fashioned Man, Kindly Advise Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.