Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? (53320 Views)

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments / What Mistakes Did You Make And You Don't Want Your Children To Make? / If Your Brother Is Still Generous To Your Family After Marriage, Thank His Wife’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by ezewealth(m): 7:48pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

100% agree.

I had a Nigerian lady walk up to me, Gucci bag, Gucci top and pullovers and look verry rich with a pair of gucci sunglasses to match but all her accounts in the negatives.
I also have this Vietnamese guy who wears the same shoe everyday and he was always in the bank early in the morning to save money from his drycleaning business.
I had asked him once, why he did not buy a new pair of shoe and he told me he had no money.

Mind you he had about $500,000 in the cheqing account at the time.
I beg to disagree.
Their are classical beings. I man is said to have class when he has a good sense of dressing, rich and intelligent, making him live a luxurious life. Is depends on the person perspectives.Davido spends money on luxury, he is still rich. Some rich u think that dresses shabby maybe because of the nature of their work or business. Eg u fit see a regular millionaire igbo man in his spare parts shop wearing only net singlet and short. But if you see him on Sunday in the church u fit no recognize am
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by delishpot: 7:52pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

It did occur to me at the time but the bank's policy at that time was not to give back until the customer request for the money. If you don't request for your own money, maybe you do not need it.

You said it was charges for transaction. Many complain about those deducted fees but they believe that it can't be reversed. Even I did not know until you wrote it now. So don't just think you can judge people based on the fact that they were not aware they can request for their money back. Like I said, make it known to the public that they can request and get back their money and see if they won't.

1 Like

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Innomach(m): 7:53pm On May 11, 2023
All professional and past time beggars are ingrates. You becomes their enemy anytime they don't get what they want from you. Just try and be helping people that needs help. Those ones hardly have the courage to ask for help. Anyone that shamelessly walks up to you to ask for one form of help or the other, is a beggar. I might be wrong though!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by karnap(m): 7:54pm On May 11, 2023
This fall on my head too, am a chef working in Lagos,
There is this igbo guy who work in the estate, he do everything, I mean if you want to get a plumber, he will tell you he can,if you need painter,electricians any casual job, this guy will do it,before my boss employed me,he normally helped my boss washed his water tank,change bulbs, so when I came in,i saw how he tried to survived, on.my own,I went to ajah market get afang soup ingredients,
I prepared this soup,I bought fufu 500, I served him with the soup and I packed some soup for him in a takeaway, I gave him this,all for me last week for this guy to knocked from my door because our estate is an open compound, he asked me,you never cook I dey hungry? I say no, he say make I find him something, I have 1k left with me,I gave him,that same last week,this guy come again that he is

hungry,ahh! Omo wetin dey? Come be like person wey buy food for restaurant, I say nothing, he say make I give am.bottle water,I gave him,no thank you ooo,I begun to noticed his attitude, on Sunday, this guy come again, that he wants Sunday rice, wooaaa!! This time.I'm.already upset, I told him.we never cook!! He asked wetin una dey eat nah?

Now this is it? Nigerian always wants you to keep up with what you have started.
Na why some big men don't want to help,cos if you do,you most help everyone otherwise you will paint black.

When I find this ,I remembered this guy.
Thank you.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by delishpot: 7:54pm On May 11, 2023
Wodu89:

Hahaha. If I sbatch your phone there.

You will return it when e start to hot grin grin
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by OKOATA(m): 7:54pm On May 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:

You are gradually becoming a Nigerian. Generosity to the poor is typically abused by them and taken as entitlement.

A lesson we
learn to comment without quoting the whole page. Just type your comment like every other person.

1 Like

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Lex4us: 8:01pm On May 11, 2023
Very Long narrative statement.
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Dshocker(m): 8:06pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

I used to work in a bank and at month ends, accounts and transaction fees are charged. We have an instruction to reverse fees ONLY if the customers asked for it. Most rich people will 100% of the time ask for a reversal of the smallest amount and lots of the poor people never ask for their money back.

I have seen up to $180 reversible charges in transaction fees in a poor person's account and could have been reversed if they had asked for it but, guess what, they are either too proud, shy or ignorant to ask.

The distinction between being rich and poor goes deep into mentality and build up of individuals.

If you give 20million dollars each to all the young people today aged 20 years, in 25 years, the rich will still be rich and the poor would have squandered the 20 million dollars and still remain poor.

I give to people that are really in need; the motherless babies home, orphanage homes and the likes of that.

Are you saying that banks are not supposed to monthly charges like card maintenance fee?

1 Like

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by midastouch: 8:07pm On May 11, 2023
We had an annual tradition in my office where we donate monies and use it to do end of year dash for policemen at a police post near the office, who are guarding a VIP residence nearby. We did this because our unofficial parking lot was near their post. Their presence served as a quasi security for our parked cars. The cops turned it into year end salary and started making other demands. One told my boss that he was very stingy and should buy him a car for Uber. Me, I totally cut them off and contribute very little.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sharpwriter(m): 8:08pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
lol bro all this na story oooo but we go talk later
smiley wink I dey eagerly wait for the talk o

👍🏽👍🏽

1 Like

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 11, 2023
delishpot:

You said it was charges for transaction. Many complain about those deducted fees but they believe that it can't be reversed. Even I did not know until you wrote it now. So don't just think you can judge people based on the fact that they were not aware they can request for their money back. Like I said, make it known to the public that they can request and get back their money and see if they won't.

Why are some people aware and some are never aware?. What does it cost you to review your account every week and if a transaction is not familiar, call your bank and ask for a refund.

These people can be on FB and Instagram 10 hour in the day but cannot take 10minutes to review their accounts statement. With attitudes like that, they will always lose money, if not to the bank, it will be elsewhere and remain poor.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Dshocker(m): 8:09pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
i totally agree with you. It's a mindset. Being rich is a 24 7 job. You have to always be alert and assertive and scrutinise everything. It's hardwork. That's why most of those guys don't look very well. If you see a man who looks very well put together and heavily manicured and his hAirline is on point ? That's a mildly rich or comfortable man but if you see a guy who looks unkempt and rough looking and nervous and not very healthy ? ThTs a billionaire lol

Guy stop am, if na play...

Which kind talk be this naaaaa?
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by XAUBulls: 8:12pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
i think it's the economy. It has turned everyone cold. Now this particular guy , it appears you have described his background perfectly because I don't understand why he is not in school. He looks Fulani and speaks Fulani so I think he is Fulani. But he speaks and understands English very well
Aha! Just a quick observation here. I even thought the guard is from the South or Central parts of Nigeria.

Most of those guys are from foreign countries such as Chad, Niger and Mali though, and may not be Fulanis but Touaregs and other ethnicities that look like Fulanis or Hausas. They have been known to rob and kill their employers and then run back to their countries for safety based on media reports over the years.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by YeyeGbami: 8:16pm On May 11, 2023
Na you cause am, if they offer to help open gate sef i turn them down. No strings attached, if i give then na because i wan give.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by GistFullGround: 8:16pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
See at this point I don't understand most Nigerians anymore. Every time I offer a helping hand to Nigerians they turn to your enemy. I don't understand the dynamics behind it. The whole interaction just gets very awkward after that . It's like they hate you for " humbling " them. It never fails.

But the ones who have a pure friendly relationship with you? Are the ones you haven't given anything yet. So in my everyday life person to person I try to do charity because charity covers a multitude of sins and givers never lack.

So this is a recent case study. This young guy , a security guard was sent by the company to guard the house I stay. I would say about 19 years old. One night I went grocery shopping and I was going through the gate he runs over from across the street and told me he was hungry. So I said what does he eat ? He said he likes indomie . So I went to my place and brought out like 5 indomie and 3 soft drinks and 2 sardines and gave it to him. He thanked me.

Every 2 days when I go out I would do small grocery shopping for him. Indomie and biscuits and soft drinks sardine or bread. A few times when I go out to get bottled palmwine for myself I would get him palmwine or orijin beer he likes. But I started noticing his entitlement behaviour like on the days when I don't buy him anything he would time when I Am coming home and sit beside my door when he sees me carrying my own groceries and he would be looking at me like he is depressed. And he would Always be watching me to see if I am going grocery shopping and he would hang around the car to see if I would come out with grocery.

Let's just say this guy got ridiculously stalkerish and so I called him up 4 days ago and asked him has his salary being paid yet? He said yes. Because am thinking all these things he is doing because he is new on the job and has no money and is hungry so I put up with it for like a month.

But once he told me yes that he had being paid, I in a roundabout way told him I don't tolerate the stalking. That he doesn't need to be following me or waiting on me. Anyway since that day this guy just turned into an enemy. Someone who I have been buying groceries for for almost a whole month just turned hostile like that. Now all that time I was buying him grocery he would do ass kissing stuff like when I drop my black trash bag outside my door he would take it to the bin outside for me but since that day the guy just bone my trash bags lol.

Anyway the point here is this ? You create an enemy unknowingly out of those you help - not family members- because I think it is humiliating for them and they despise you for it, so if you are going to offer charity don't offer it to people you have to see on a daily basis. Just find a beggar in the street that you would never see again. Nigerians are funny, they beg you for money but they hate you for giving them that money especially if it is not a life changing amount.

It's like a guy I gave 5000 naira one time and he thought it was an insult, just a regular guy who I don't even know like that, God is my witness, which 5000 is no money but it was just for him to buy beer for the weekend, you can get 15 beers with 5000 when I gave it to him.

So out here on these streets you have to be savage. No more mr nice guy ooo lol. basically if you are not offering guys over 100k just forget it cuz they would hate you. look for a real beggar who would appreciate 5000 or 1000.

Give him food for at least 3 months to make him comfortable then swiftly ask the company to transfer him, so he won't think you are responsible.

You can ask your police or army friend to visit you while in uniform too so he will know you have someone to ask for help when he misbehaves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 11, 2023
Dshocker:

Are you saying that banks are not supposed to monthly charges like card maintenance fee?

They are supposed to and they can also waive for you if you request. I cant be 100% certain for Nigerian Banks, I worked in Canadian banks and not in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by otipoju(m): 8:26pm On May 11, 2023
AngelicBeing:
Dayuummmmmm, welc to Nigeria, abeg walk with wisdom with the guy oo, some security guards are informants to Robbers and Kidnappers, it is a cruel and Wicked world out there, so be wise as the serpent and harmless like the dove, that is why anytime l visit Nigeria, l put on my Ghost Garment 24/ 7, l don't trust most people in Nigeria, l have been taken advantage of several times in my visits to Nigeria, so whenever l land, l am a Ghost to the core although I do help, support and assist as many as I can as led by The celestial forces shocked

I dey even wear old Ankara wey don fade sef

1 Like

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by missidy: 8:27pm On May 11, 2023
I have sent an email to this effect before and Access bank replied that all charges are cbn approved.
Skyview01:

It means if you see any charge on your account that is from the bank, alway be proactive and ask for a reversal.
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 11, 2023
missidy:
I have sent an email to this effect before and Access bank replied that all charges are cbn approved.

You have tried. Did you speak with someone at the branch like an account officer?
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by BeardedmeatR(m): 8:28pm On May 11, 2023
You are right Op.

As for me, I have stopped giving to those who didn't ask. I only help if you ask, and not because I feel you are in need.

My experience is that giving to those who didn't ask makes them feel humiliated and unappreciative and they hate you for it.

That security man is your staff, don't allow him get away with any misbehavior.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by Malikdking: 8:29pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
it is what it is. It's all discretion. Just do it far away from home. As a wise man once said , no dey shit where you dey put head, excuse the vulgarity lol. Give to people you will never see again if there is the need for charity. Charity covers a multitude of sins. It's like penance lol. I strongly believe that

Well said
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 8:31pm On May 11, 2023
Praisepriest:
It's your fault, be a Nigerian politician and you will be loved. You should have given him one indomie,and egg. Instead you turn to father Christmas. If someone need #5000 give him #1500. They will hail you. Na you do yourself. Be a Nigerian giver.
from blessing people I have been blessed too. Am telling you. Giving opens up your blessings from above. I am proof of that.

1 Like

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by AngelicBeing: 8:31pm On May 11, 2023
otipoju:

I dey even wear old Ankara wey don fade sef
Hahaha, una go kill person with laugh for nairaland.com, that is the way to live and survive in Nigeria especially as a Diasporan otherwise bad people go arrange criminals to either steal from you, kidnap or kill you sef, whenever l land Nigeria, all my movement are discreet, l don't even sleep in my personal home, l keep everyone at arms-lenght, my arrival and departure is hidden on the Top of Mount Everest grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 8:32pm On May 11, 2023
PeterTinubu:
I rather burn my money than help any human being again.

Help? That syllable ain't in my Dico 😩

I used to be the nicest guy alive until I got betrayed & backstabbed by one of my closest disciples whom I helped so much in life.

Human beings don't deserve help, everyone should struggle for him/herself.

Life is a jungle and only the strong survive ❗
kpele dear
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by delishpot: 8:34pm On May 11, 2023
Skyview01:

Why are some people aware and some are never aware?. What does it cost you to review your account every week and if a transaction is not familiar, call your bank and ask for a refund.

These people can be on FB and Instagram 10 hour in the day but cannot take 10minutes to review their accounts statement. With attitudes like that, they will always lose money, if not to the bank, it will be elsewhere and remain poor.

Is it written as charges for services or just random deduction from the acct? If it is written as charges many people will think it's normal. Not that they like it but they feel it's the expenses associated with banking service they use. If sudden money is withdrawn from people's acct without explanation many would call to confirm what happened and if the bank says it's charges without telling them they can have it reversed then they wouldn't know to ask for it. They will just grumble and lament how the bank is robbing them. Hence I asked, does the bank make it known they can request for and have their money refunded?
Rich people may know about it because they are aware through their bank officers.
Like I said before, if people knew that they could call the bank and have those charges reversed they would. It's not a rich man/ poor man thing

2 Likes

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by lionphil(m): 8:34pm On May 11, 2023
sukkot:
See at this point I don't understand most Nigerians anymore. Every time I offer a helping hand to Nigerians they turn to your enemy. I don't understand the dynamics behind it. The whole interaction just gets very awkward after that . It's like they hate you for " humbling " them. It never fails.

But the ones who have a pure friendly relationship with you? Are the ones you haven't given anything yet. So in my everyday life person to person I try to do charity because charity covers a multitude of sins and givers never lack.

So this is a recent case study. This young guy , a security guard was sent by the company to guard the house I stay. I would say about 19 years old. One night I went grocery shopping and I was going through the gate he runs over from across the street and told me he was hungry. So I said what does he eat ? He said he likes indomie . So I went to my place and brought out like 5 indomie and 3 soft drinks and 2 sardines and gave it to him. He thanked me.

Every 2 days when I go out I would do small grocery shopping for him. Indomie and biscuits and soft drinks sardine or bread. A few times when I go out to get bottled palmwine for myself I would get him palmwine or orijin beer he likes. But I started noticing his entitlement behaviour like on the days when I don't buy him anything he would time when I Am coming home and sit beside my door when he sees me carrying my own groceries and he would be looking at me like he is depressed. And he would Always be watching me to see if I am going grocery shopping and he would hang around the car to see if I would come out with grocery.

Let's just say this guy got ridiculously stalkerish and so I called him up 4 days ago and asked him has his salary being paid yet? He said yes. Because am thinking all these things he is doing because he is new on the job and has no money and is hungry so I put up with it for like a month.

But once he told me yes that he had being paid, I in a roundabout way told him I don't tolerate the stalking. That he doesn't need to be following me or waiting on me. Anyway since that day this guy just turned into an enemy. Someone who I have been buying groceries for for almost a whole month just turned hostile like that. Now all that time I was buying him grocery he would do ass kissing stuff like when I drop my black trash bag outside my door he would take it to the bin outside for me but since that day the guy just bone my trash bags lol.

Anyway the point here is this ? You create an enemy unknowingly out of those you help - not family members- because I think it is humiliating for them and they despise you for it, so if you are going to offer charity don't offer it to people you have to see on a daily basis. Just find a beggar in the street that you would never see again. Nigerians are funny, they beg you for money but they hate you for giving them that money especially if it is not a life changing amount.

It's like a guy I gave 5000 naira one time and he thought it was an insult, just a regular guy who I don't even know like that, God is my witness, which 5000 is no money but it was just for him to buy beer for the weekend, you can get 15 beers with 5000 when I gave it to him.

So out here on these streets you have to be savage. No more mr nice guy ooo lol. basically if you are not offering guys over 100k just forget it cuz they would hate you. look for a real beggar who would appreciate 5000 or 1000.

What you did has killed many very nice people. The wrong those people did was to stop giving because they had other pressing needs to attend to. It's good to give but do it with wisdom.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by missidy: 8:34pm On May 11, 2023
No I didn't. Same Access bank charged my brother 4k as account maintenance fee, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Skyview01:

You have tried. Did you speak with someone at the branch like an account officer?
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 8:34pm On May 11, 2023
Exodus15v11:
With an ingrate like him, if you are to recount all the food you've bought for him or given him, he will ask you what have you given him or what have you done for him? That's why you've to be careful who you're kind to, especially with the entitlement mentality of many Nigerians and their stubbornness when it comes to appreciating what people do for them. Secondly, unless the person utterly deserves it, showering someone undeserving with kindness after kindness isn't a good idea, because they won't value it, will take you for granted, will come to expect it all the time, and will act like you're the bad guy when you're no longer doing those things for them.
thank you
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by goldmatrix(m): 8:35pm On May 11, 2023
You aren't saying anything different from what's happening between me and my neighbor whose house is next to ours. Every Christmas I do giveaway to the family but the Christmas that I skipped, his children even refused greeting me. God knows what she told them..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 8:35pm On May 11, 2023
NoToPile:
Loool welcome to Naija.
in fact ehn lol
Re: Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? by sukkot: 8:37pm On May 11, 2023
Tonytonex:
LOL at the title
right lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Caught My Neighbour's Kids Having Sex...should I Tell Their Parents? / My 19yr Old Wife Is Back, Safe And Sound. / She Married An Old Fashioned Man, Kindly Advise Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.