Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,373 members, 7,812,092 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27564 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DyshApp: 9:33pm On Nov 17, 2023
Former Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, has stirred reactions online following an attack against demanding family members that act entitled.

In an interview with fellow football player Rio Ferdinand, the former captain of the Super Eagles bemoaned the fact that, in Africa, families frequently have the right to inherit an individual’s wealth.

Video:https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1725199091146096677?t=V8XwUnfMWuCSb-JMaBXMvw&s=19

According to him, when an African person gets money, many cousins and relatives start to make demands, and some of sisters married men who just wanted to related to him because of his status.

The football player said that he sometimes had to be tough and set aside his personal demands since these people have so many children and need him to take care of them.

Mikel Obi stated that these extended family members believe he owes them money and threaten to go to the press if he refuses. It is prevalent in Africa, according to the football player.

In his words;

“When you come from Africa, when you make money, it’s not your money. You have all these relatives, cousins, and your sisters go off and get married to some guy who just wants to get married into Mikel John Obi’s family because his life is sorted, and then you start looking after this guy, and before you know it, they keep having so many kids and you look at it like,

‘Okay, you’re having this many kids, who are going to look after them?’ It’s you! It’s the culture because, for them, you owe them that, so sometimes you have to be strong and say, ‘You know what, guys, enough is enough; I don’t care’. They give you this thing whereby ‘if you don’t do it, we’re going to go to the press’. After all, what have I done for you guys? But this happens a lot in Africa. Not everybody comes out and speaks about it.”

Is this true😂

Follow up with more Relationship Topic on Relationship Talk Loung(link)

85 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Theweekend: 9:40pm On Nov 17, 2023
My brother true talk

230 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by mariahAngel(f): 9:44pm On Nov 17, 2023
Mikel has had enough.

He has gotten to that point where he doesn't send anybody anymore. For him to speak out like this.
Africans and entitlement mentality are like🤞🏼

333 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Amotolongbo(f): 10:02pm On Nov 17, 2023
That is the very truth.

Africans and the “entitled mentality”

122 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DonBenny77(m): 10:24pm On Nov 17, 2023
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And it's your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some wealthy men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off in the future they can't sustain because the didn't empower family.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything

218 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 6:46am On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And is your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some rich men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brother.

Tell us how you have funded your siblings luxurious lifestyles.

337 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DonBenny77(m): 9:14am On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brothe.

Tell us how you have funded your siblings luxurious lifestyles.
Learn to make use of your brain first

99 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Puss360(f): 9:19am On Nov 18, 2023
Lol.... It's good he is seeing it and speaking from experience...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 9:48am On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Learn to make use of your brain first

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

264 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by owiko(m): 11:39am On Nov 18, 2023
This is the case in most African families because most privileged family members prefers to give unsustainable help. Instead of giving to a family member in a way they'd keep coming for more, it's better to help, except in cases where such family members refuses to help themselves. One can not be the only successful person in the family, and expect not to be overburdened

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by BigBlackPreek(m): 11:40am On Nov 18, 2023
That's Africa for you, especially Nigerians with entitlement mentality.

Since I started serving in January, anywhere I enter like this, naso people go start to dey task me, some go pass dey look me like say I dey owe the money, them expect make I dey drop money for them as if say na 1million federal government dey pay me 🤣

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Robetmile: 11:41am On Nov 18, 2023
Na so

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by paranorman(m): 11:41am On Nov 18, 2023
The things is: family is still all you've got, especially your immediate family.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Whalis: 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
Mikel wouldn't have become a player of repute without a family member introducing him to NFF. Here is Africa. You don't need to reciprocate good gestures on the person who helped you it might be another family member. A family member took Mikel's father to Jos. This is Africa.

49 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by vickydevoka(m): 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Mikel has had enough.

He has gotten to that point where he doesn't send anybody anymore. For him to speak out like this.
Africans and entitlement mentality are like🤞🏼
When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy

121 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maxiuc(m): 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
cheesy

Even from my 1kobo wey dey my hands some family members still get eyes inside

23 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by OceanEye: 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
Wow, I watched the video on Facebook today and I thought it's an old video.

That's just the reality in Africa. A lot of people are not financially okay in the country and people like obi are who they rely on because the government doesn't care.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by tiamiyukunle69(m): 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
Entitlement mentality, laziness and poverty at work here.

To a lot of them, they assume you pick up hard currencies on the floor.

Even Oyibo sef dey always shock when you send plenty money to Naija every month for this present economy.

Mikel is spot on here👌

27 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by GODPUNISHALABI: 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
Mikel obi yan jos........I no blame am, neni people wan use billing kill am grin grin sheybi dem organise men kidnap him papa that year...

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by vickydevoka(m): 11:42am On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And is your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some rich men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off.
See the jobless people

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Hezzyluv: 11:43am On Nov 18, 2023
Entitlement mentality. grin
Na wetin the society give us be that. Anyway, I personally don't have problem with that as I feel cool giving my family what I know I can afford.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by joseph1832(m): 11:43am On Nov 18, 2023
Lol. they own you whether you have money or not. Having money just makes it more obvious... hehehe

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by useni1: 11:43am On Nov 18, 2023
The family institution should be abolished. The interest of others and humanity should come first before yours or any useless family members

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Sonnobax15(m): 11:43am On Nov 18, 2023
lipsrsealed
Nothing but the truth...

That's how our African culture has been wired to be......But that doesn't mean you should feel indebted to anyone......You must learn how to say no to some request if not,na wahala you go face las las when family pressure begin to mount you..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ezechi24(m): 11:44am On Nov 18, 2023
It's his family ...he shouldn't generalize it.....besides if he is the richest in the family, what stops him from elevating the rest, there's a reason why you were wealthy and your wealth isn't meant for you alone, you have to help the rest to a certain level so they don't always come for help, when I say help I don't mean giving them 50 thousand and you'd think you've done the world for them, yes it's a thing of choice, but only one tree can not make a forest.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by HydraFeeds(m): 11:44am On Nov 18, 2023
Not only families but people you’re acquainted with,imagine you go to them to help your career when you’re down but they refused ,some of them won’t want to be seen with you because you’re not good enough to them but when you’re having little breakthroughs ,they will not allow you to rest . How will such person accumulate his wealth to grow higher ?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by GODPUNISHALABI: 11:44am On Nov 18, 2023
grin
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by nedekid: 11:45am On Nov 18, 2023
While he said is true talk no doubt, but he should also put himself in their shoes, what if he was the relative and his eg brother was the sucessful one?

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Who Many Called Barren Gives Birth At 40 Years Old (photos) / Please How Do I Handle This With My Wife And Her Brother. / A Set Of Twins After 15 Years Of Waiting (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.