Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name (40522 Views)

Help Needed! I Am Finding It Difficult Calling My Brother 'sir'. / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by joeargy: 4:39pm On May 13, 2023
Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice...

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by taylor89(m): 4:41pm On May 13, 2023
NA THEM KNOW THE REAL PAPA

I understand grandparents and calling their grandkids their preferred name

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

But you see switching from Charles to Daniel

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

Oga that child isn’t yours

342 Likes 18 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 4:46pm On May 13, 2023
Your case no easy oo
There are some inlaws like that, it almost happened to me, I named my son Jeremy and they tried to change it to Jeremiah, I no waste time hala that his name is Jeremy and not Jeremiah, abeg na my pikin, una don give una pikin their names, just leave mine for me, if una no fit call am Jeremy, make una use sign language call am

273 Likes 20 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by donbachi(m): 4:46pm On May 13, 2023
No issues..as long as his birth certificate and documents will bear name given by you

321 Likes 22 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by joeargy: 4:50pm On May 13, 2023
donbachi:
No issues..as long as his birth certificate and documents will bear name given by you
The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Ever8090: 4:52pm On May 13, 2023
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....

335 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by donbachi(m): 4:53pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!
change location

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by decatalyst(m): 4:56pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

You people no dey fear "see finish" at all?

The name change is just a prelude to what is to come.

Change location and ensure the boy is called that name by your wife and he doesn't visit the in-law place often.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by JeffreyJunior: 4:56pm On May 13, 2023
I don't really see an issue in this.

Grandparents always have preferred names for their grandkids and oftentimes, the names are born out of their belief in reincarnation.

My grandma called me Obim until she died because she believed I was reincarnation of her late husband and she practically begged my dad to name me after the man which is why my Igbo name is Obi×××.

Your inlaws mean no harm, please let it go.

128 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Solofresh2: 5:00pm On May 13, 2023
Take the child away from them and don't take him close to them for a very long time because if that boy start answering that name at this early stage,wahala go dey oo

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 5:02pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:
Na them know the real papa
Evil lol

4 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by joeargy: 5:08pm On May 13, 2023
Karleb:

Guy what is your problem? undecided
Daniel is my problem

7 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Exmilitant(m): 5:13pm On May 13, 2023
These foreign names wey una dey call children dey vex me. Wetin be Charles and Daniel?
Whatever happened to Izuchukwu, Uwem, Adebola, Ovundah?

God help Africa!!

142 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 5:17pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:
These foreign names wey una dey call children dey vex me. Wetin be Charles and Daniel?

God help Africa!!
They aren't foreign, we christians name our kids after a Saint or men of God in the Holy bible
Eg Saint Charles , Saint daniel

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by tommy589(m): 5:17pm On May 13, 2023
I understand how you feel. Just ensure you are the one to register her in school, don't delegate it to your wife or anyone. And if you are yet to obtain her birth certificate do so by yourself

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Carcholce: 5:20pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:

God help Africa!!

Or
Tinubu
Buhari
Lai

30 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by sisisioge: 5:24pm On May 13, 2023
Na wa for you o OP. Are his school mates going to call him Daniel? Will his birth cert be changed to Daniel? Will you then start call him Daniel? Easy fa... every close family member usually have special names for children but their official names win eventually.

Someone mentioned the other day that her son refused to answer to his name in preschool because he thought his name was sweetheart as his mommy fondly calls him grin. It will pass.

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Aaaaarghmed(m): 5:28pm On May 13, 2023
It's an issue..he shud be called the name you gave him.its better your grandparents call him his native name,than changing it entirely to another english name

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 5:32pm On May 13, 2023
Solofresh2:
Take the child away from them and don't take him close to them for a very long time because if that boy start answering that name at this early stage,wahala go dey oo
True talk, if he start answering that name at his early age of 2yrs.....some of u are misinterpreting nicknames for real names.
Op said his boy is 2yrs,
Na nickname Dem wan dey call the boy for school ? Or neighbors calling ur 2yrs old nickname?
I no comprehend

4 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:
■ Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice... My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles by my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel, I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me... What do I do house?
undecided

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by samwash(m): 5:50pm On May 13, 2023
@Op, if this is your problem then you nor get problem at all.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Elliotwaveforec: 5:52pm On May 13, 2023
Mumu people bearing slave names and they're proud of it. What happens to Chukwudi, Adeola, Oghene or Danjuma? Black man sha.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Elliotwaveforec: 5:54pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:

God help Africa!!
My gee, I didn't read your post before posting mine, i swear. My fellow thinker!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Karleb(m): 6:10pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

Daniel is my problem

The boy will probably grow up to give himself a funny nick name.

Let it rest. My regards to Daniel.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Samajogs: 6:12pm On May 13, 2023
Stop them from going there before they'll give you another name

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by anyilalaz: 6:13pm On May 13, 2023
No issue here bro. That is grandparents for you. That how best they express their love, joy and happiness having a grand kids. You will feel the same when you reach that stage in life. Just call him the name you gave him, update the same on his birth certificate, school etc. When we had my first child, my mother called her Amarachukwu, My mother-in-law called here Toochukwu, my land lady gave her yoruba name - Anuoluwapo, wife called her Favour, me where be her papa call am, Chizita.

No issue in the house and she respond when these people call her. She identify them via phone when she is called by those name...
finally na me be her PAPA.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Exmilitant(m): 6:21pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

They aren't foreign, we christians name our kids after a Saint or men of God in the Holy bible
Eg Saint Charles , Saint daniel
and who says an Abiola, Izuchukwu or Uwem can't be saints?

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Exmilitant(m): 6:22pm On May 13, 2023
Elliotwaveforec:

My gee, I didn't read your post before posting mine, i swear. My fellow thinker!
thank God there is a fellow Africa.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 6:25pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:
and who says an Abiola, Izuchukwu or Uwem can't be saints?
Let them be Saint first but for now they are bloody Nigerians

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Nemesis0147(m): 6:29pm On May 13, 2023
I don’t see an issue here oh…
I have four names…2 native and 2 English names.
2 from my father’s side and 2 from my mother side….but my birth certificate bears the one my mother and father gave me….I no see issue here at all!!

32 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Can You Do When You Notice Your Wife Is Cheating? / Blind Woman With Triplets Receives Online Gifts / Sick Musa Under The Town Planning Bridge Linking Ilupeju To Anthony Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.