Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,703 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name (40614 Views)

Help Needed! I Am Finding It Difficult Calling My Brother 'sir'. / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by shezy14(m): 8:17pm On May 13, 2023
Victor2707:
Stop entertaining your wife's family.

They are not your relatives.
seek help
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by almarthins(m): 8:17pm On May 13, 2023
donbachi:
No issues..as long as his birth certificate and documents will bear name given by you

I tell you. Soon all those people calling him another will be gone. Make d oga calm down, otherwise na small war him wan start so o.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by mastermaestro(m): 8:17pm On May 13, 2023
sisisioge:
Na wa for you o OP. Are his school mates going to call him Daniel? Will his birth cert be changed to Daniel? Will you then start call him Daniel? Easy fa... every close family member usually have special names for children but their official names win eventually.

Someone mentioned the other day that her son refused to answer to his name in preschool because he thought his name was sweetheart as his mommy fondly calls him grin. It will pass.

This one off me. grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by adanny01(m): 8:17pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:
Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice...

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

Same and even worst in my case. I named my daughter but my father in-law gave her a name and my mother in-law gave her another which is their tribal name. That tribal name given by my mother in-law stuck.

My daughter bears my given bible name in school but we all use her maternal language name (MIL's given name) at-home. Even my own parents call her with that name which is not my tribe.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by mmsen: 8:17pm On May 13, 2023
Ever8090:
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....

Religion and civilization are opposites.

Religion is rooted in superstition and barbarism.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by juman(m): 8:18pm On May 13, 2023
My first name and middle name were given to me by my maternal grandmother.
My mother wanted me to at least use middle name given by her, but I prefer my grandmother´s one.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ajitoyo: 8:18pm On May 13, 2023
Some things are not worth fighting for in this short life of ours and name calling is one of those things. Who tell you that when your child come of age he will adopt the name you gave him? Call him what you have gave him and let members of the family call him whatever they have gave him as well. Your child will decide what he wants to be call when he comes of age.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by sammyscholar(m): 8:18pm On May 13, 2023
anyilalaz:
No issue here bro. That is grandparents for you. Just call him the name you gave him, update the same on his birth certificate, school etc. When we had my first child, my mother called her Amarachukwu, My mother-in-law called here Toochukwu, my land lady gave her yoruba name - Anuoluwapo, wife called her Favour, me where be her papa call am, Chizita.

No issue in the house and she respond when these people call her. She identify them via phone when she is called by those name...
finally na me be her PAPA.
This Is interesting!
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Tonytonex(m): 8:19pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!
LOL at "he will say ehh!"

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by shezy14(m): 8:20pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?
What's your problem? Nothing wrong in them calling your son the name they gave him, he's their grandson and they love him so much. Be grateful for that
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Dchampion65: 8:21pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

Calm down
Nothing to worry about.
I experienced such, my parents call my son separate name, my inlaw separate name which is different from what myself and my wife actually named him.
My father noticed I was not pleased. He called me and explained that my boy is his first grandson hence the name calling.
The boy is 28 years now and bears the name we gave him.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pek(m): 8:21pm On May 13, 2023
emezuo17:
. So only Europeans are qualified to be saints, your grand parents can't be saints too abi, my guy, local names with meanings are better than foreign names without meaning, what is the local translation of Charles and Daniel, in your dialect.
A plate of goat meat pepper soup and a cold bottle of malt. The most annoying is people who answer names like Sunday Philips. Monday Michael, Esther Stephen, John Abraham etc. No identify again.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Greattha: 8:22pm On May 13, 2023
No biggie.

Grandparents call their grandbabies whatever pleases them.

It's a form of endearment for the aging parents towards their grandbabies

As long as your son answes the names you gave him, I don't see any issues.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by comtem2011: 8:22pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!
No issue here!!! My parents call my children the name they gave them. My kid sis call them the names she gave them, and they answer the names on their certificate too. My children know all the names given to them!!! By the way, Daniel is a nice name!!! No issue with the parents calling their grandchildren the name they gave them. Don't take it personal.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by TheBillyonaire: 8:22pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

Grand-parents usually give their grand-kids native names. If your son is Charles, they can give him their native language names, not Daniel.

I hope your inlaws are not these types who hate their village and live in city all their lives. If so, you have a real responsibility to reprogram your wife and kids.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by AstrologyGuru: 8:23pm On May 13, 2023
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Tonytonex(m): 8:23pm On May 13, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
I don't really see an issue in this.

Grandparents always have preferred names for their grandkids and oftentimes, the names are born out of their belief in reincarnation.

My grandma called me Obim until she died because she believed I was reincarnation of her late husband and she practically begged my dad to name me after the man which is why my Igbo name is Obi×××.

Your inlaws mean no harm, please let it go.
Those other names are always tribal, just like yours. Not English names.
That's disrespect to the father.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Dchampion65: 8:25pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:
NA THEM KNOW THE REAL PAPA

I understand grandparents and calling their grandkids their preferred name

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

But you see switching from Charles to Daniel

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

Oga that child isn’t yours

Haba, Oga, calm down now
Do you know you can scatter the family by your false and senseless aligation.
Miserable counsellor

4 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by mariahAngel(f): 8:26pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

So, your son cannot even answer yes? cheesy

I'm sure he knows his name is Charles, and also knows that only at his grandparents' place is he called Daniel.
I'm also quite sure he loves being called a different name at his grandparents'
Children love being called their alternative names for some reason, and they are smarter than you think.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:27pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

If you call him Charles does he answer?
Try as much as possible to live at peace with all men. Soon Charles will grow up, and be the one to correct his grandparents.

All the best brother
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Smartguyboy(m): 8:27pm On May 13, 2023
You can’t do anything the battle has been lost 😞
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by AfonjaPriest: 8:28pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
My grandparents used to call me by the native name they gave me. There must be a reason the grandparents are adamant about calling your son the name. Go and verify; do a paternity test.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ajitoyo: 8:28pm On May 13, 2023
Nah mature man you be (quote author=anyilalaz post=123115980]No issue here bro. That is grandparents for you. Just call him the name you gave him, update the same on his birth certificate, school etc. When we had my first child, my mother called her Amarachukwu, My mother-in-law called here Toochukwu, my land lady gave her yoruba name - Anuoluwapo, wife called her Favour, me where be her papa call am, Chizita.

No issue in the house and she respond when these people call her. She identify them via phone when she is called by those name...
finally na me be her PAPA.[/quote]
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 13, 2023
Ever8090:
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....

My brother, I'm very weak.

I opened this thread solely because of boredom cause I suspected it was going to annoy me, and that turned out to be the case. This OP is either immature or a colossal idiot. And e no fit better for the mod wey move this nonsense to front page!

My son's name is Cedric, but his maternal grandmother prefers to call him Joseph even after naming him "Adopisa".

Please, why is this supposed to be an issue? Are you people not mad like this in this new generation?!

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Waffarianman(m): 8:29pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

It's easy except you don't wanna man up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by taylor89(m): 8:30pm On May 13, 2023
Mercylike:

What sort of senseless comment is this?

God, did you create this thing too?

The people that even liked this comments are more of animalistic in nature than the one that made this comment..

Jeeezz

I made a post which doesn’t concern you and you took it serious

If the shoe fits you who am I to stop you

Bcuz it seems you can relate to my post possibly 5 out of your 7 kids no be your husband own
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Coly2012(m): 8:30pm On May 13, 2023
No issues here, I and my siblings have names we are known by at our maternal home. It doesn't change anything.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Ever8090: 8:31pm On May 13, 2023
TheGift:

What is wrong is that the in-laws are disregarding the name Given to the boy by His own Father, something they wouldn't take from someone else.

My Son has a name from my in-laws and occassiinally they use it, but there is no confusion about what His real name is.

If they decide to insist on calling him their preferred name, please I will just be ignore it and continue calling Him the name I give him, one day he will be old enough to know what or who he must answer to.
rubbish talk....the child will grow up and answer 59 names but still be who he wants to be, he can be answerable to both his parents and grandparents and whomever he wish to, so what is it with the unnecessary tension raised by this kid who became a father too early
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ahnie: 8:32pm On May 13, 2023
shezy14:
seek help
Well said cheesy cheesy cheesy
Troubled adult he is.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by misreal(m): 8:32pm On May 13, 2023
Karleb:

Guy what is your problem? undecided
he just takes things too personal.
Nothing wrong with my in laws giving my children their own names.it means the children are dear to them.
That's a plus,in my opinion.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Ever8090: 8:33pm On May 13, 2023
Buddha3:

My brother, I'm very weak.

I opened this thread solely because of boredom cause I suspected it was going to annoy me, and that turned out to be the case. This OP is either immature or a colossal idiot. And e no fit better for the mod wey move this nonsense to front page!

My son's name is Cedric, but his maternal grandmother prefers to call him Joseph even after naming him "Adopisa".

Please, why is this supposed to be an issue? Are you people not mad like this in this new generation?!
very mad I swear...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

My 5 yr old Cousin Behaves like Ancestor / ~ Why Husbands int!mate With Their Maids ~ / 17-Year-Old Girl Rescues Her 3 Sisters From Burning House In Anambra (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.