Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name (40595 Views)

Help Needed! I Am Finding It Difficult Calling My Brother 'sir'. / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by emerged01(m): 8:04pm On May 13, 2023
This one no be issue.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by eben97: 8:05pm On May 13, 2023
Are u christian sir ?? What is the meaning of Charles ?is it a scriptural name ?were in the bible you read daily can I find CHARLEs ??I for one prefare Daniel sir, it caries more virtue than your Charley!! Even if he be saint, his name ain't in the scripture, we have guide there. I want to really wonder why they prefare that name Daniel, youighr Wana ask them (after all ,Dem be your parents)….you will sure get an answer.Be guided .
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by emaopel: 8:05pm On May 13, 2023
It is normal to have more than 2 names for the child and those who give the name will prefer the one they give... There some name they call my children that I have even forgotten that it part of the name given to them... Take away your inferiority complex and ensure that all his documents carry prefer names you want for your child.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by otomatic(m): 8:05pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

Let them be Saint first but for now they are bloody Nigerians

Nigerians can also be saints na. Example, Saint Obi.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by spiceadole: 8:05pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:
These foreign names wey una dey call children dey vex me. Wetin be Charles and Daniel?
Whatever happened to Izuchukwu, Uwem, Adebola, Ovundah?

God help Africa!!

Very irritating, honestly..
Foreign names that most don't even know the meaning.
I had my 3 kids in Europe where we are still resident and they all bear native names.
First ,middle and surnames...All indigenous.

6 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by mrblessed(m): 8:06pm On May 13, 2023
It doesn't matter. It's what you call your son that matter. You are making a mountain of out of a molehill.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by MrDoGood(m): 8:06pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!

Living close to the is the main problem. See finish don dey enter.

Move ASAP

If it's your personal house,

Move still.

Then you'll see the difference. Else, your marriage won't last.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Mercylike(f): 8:06pm On May 13, 2023
Karleb:

Guy what is your problem? undecided

The guy has a big problem

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:07pm On May 13, 2023
Normal things in Africa b4 don they turn to abnormal, nothing is wrong here the name on his birth certificate is the one that matters make you leave matter way no be nothing abeg
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by lolu2019: 8:07pm On May 13, 2023
No issue guy.nah normal thing.my late grandma called me by the name she gave me.my late grandpa too.two different names.u should be proud.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by omoiseselagba: 8:07pm On May 13, 2023
Ok
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Zumis: 8:07pm On May 13, 2023
Oga,don't fret about it.So long your registered his birth certificate and school with your preferred name.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by GloriousGbola: 8:08pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:
Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice...

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

Relatives always do this. They were at the naming when the child was given multiple names and they usually choose to use the name they picked when they interact with the child. No big deal. As kids we understood when we went to some aunties or uncles places they would call us by one obscure name we barely remembered.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by MrDoGood(m): 8:08pm On May 13, 2023
emaopel:
It is normal to have more than 2 names for the child and those who give the name will prefer the one they give... There some name they call my children that I have even forgotten that it part of the name given to them... Take away your inferiority complex and ensure that all his documents carry prefer names you want for your child.

Since they're living close to his inlaws, he need to change environment.

Frequently seeing and spending time will cause lack of respect and this might break his home.

And if he starts staying in his house, problem also.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by na2016: 8:09pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

There is no need for issues here. As long as the name on his passport and in school is the name you gave him, forget whatever the grannies call him.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Mercylike(f): 8:09pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

Daniel is my problem

Ur problem is spiritual, it is bigger than just Daniel

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Kaffy2903(f): 8:10pm On May 13, 2023
dey allow people wey no get better family and in_law dey advise you
in the west here most of the family members and neighbors give your child different names,at times goes on dey will change and started calling the child names the parents gave their child

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by kaludestiny10(m): 8:10pm On May 13, 2023
The thing tire me oh.
Ever8090:
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by FireUpNow(m): 8:10pm On May 13, 2023
Call your son the name you and your gave to him. It's normal for your in laws to give him name but call him the name you gave to him
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by sammysammy111(m): 8:11pm On May 13, 2023
Na name wey u put for certificate nah him matter, so no worry yasef
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pek(m): 8:11pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

They aren't foreign, we christians name our kids after a Saint or men of God in the Holy bible
Eg Saint Charles , Saint daniel
And you say they are not foreign? Common sense is indeed not common.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Exmilitant(m): 8:11pm On May 13, 2023
spiceadole:

Very irritating, honestly..
Foreign names that most don't even know the meaning.
I had my 3 kids in Europe where we are still resident and they all bear native names.
First ,middle and surnames...All indigenous.
Thanks bro.
I don't know what Nigerians thinks. I onced attended a graduation ceremony of some nursery school kids, as they were being called to come on stage to get their certificates, men I thought I was in England, you have to hear the fanciful foreign names these children bears, we have even gone as far as bearing Spanish name!

The white man I think meant it when they tag us black monkeys. Africans have proven that to be true.

4 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pekisdgee(m): 8:14pm On May 13, 2023
Omò men them, Don experiences same thing oo
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pongwa(m): 8:15pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
its no problem at all as far as I'm concerned. They have the right to call him Daniel too. I sense you are concerned because your boy is always around them. Pay attention to this information and let him stay in your own house often so your neighbours will call him by the name you gave him. Your wife is the one to handle her family so allow her, NEVER INTERFER because it won't end well.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by baretalk: 8:15pm On May 13, 2023
Why worry over petty things, you know what's in his documents.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by juman(m): 8:15pm On May 13, 2023
Hmmmm.
They should rather call him a local name of their choice not daniel.
The OP should discuss the issue with the grandparents.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pek(m): 8:16pm On May 13, 2023
emaopel:
Some of you just throw words around without really knowing how hurtful it can be. Someone is worried his son is called another name he didn't give him and you are calling it inferiority complex.

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by NoToPile: 8:16pm On May 13, 2023
Na wa I don't understand the problem with guys marrying these days they must wail about every thing ahan.

Wail, whine, cry shout about every damn thing.
Kilode Gan.

I know someone that was at my daughters naming ceremony not even related to me at all that calls her by one of the many names we gave her, she's the only one who calls her by that name and she calls me mama (the name).

If someone calls me by one particular name in crowd I am 90percent sure it's my mums village people.

My father inlaw calls my daughter by the name he gave her, the name no kuku dey birth cert.

As long as the names have good meanings no problem.

I honestly can't fathom what warranted this wailing.

7 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by omoiseselagba: 8:16pm On May 13, 2023
I don't think it is a big deal.

A child means so many things to different people.

What it means to you is not what it means to your wife,her parents,your family etc.

My own case for example,I named my son a certain name but my wife and her parents called him tamilore.

I was mad at her and it made me changed towards her.to me then,I felt she was not loyal to me at all and she was still connected to her mother.yes her mother!

So after some time I let go.

Later I got to understand that my wife's mother is emotional and spiritual about my son.she never had a son and her first child gave birth to five girls.we are the one that gave her a son and still the only one for now,so she saw the boy as her own.

Infact,it got so hot then that I told my wife not to take the boy to her mother and that we should give him to a nanny,she said ok but I found out she was dropping me boy at her mother's.

I sought the advice of women in my office and they laughed at me say I dey fight a woman over a child.they said I should let her be and face my life.i left her and the whole thing died down,infact the in-law took care of the boy like say na god dash her.the boy dey fresh like americana.na so I just leave all of them and everything just fall in place.

So leave them and do your thing hare.

Make money,enjoy your self,care for your children and let sleeping dog lie jare.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by dammyllare(m): 8:16pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
You know what I think? I think you are just a frustrated dude who doesn't know where to channel his anger then decided to pick on his in laws. Like what is even your problem in all of this? I don't blame you, I blame the little change in your pocket that has made you to forget your pressing issues😂.
What if it is your own mother that has been calling him names different from yours?
An example, my mother has never called any of my kids the name I give them, she always call them by the name she gives at birth and my children are used to those names and recognize individuals with the name mentioned. Find another problem cause this isn't one

6 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by fof1: 8:16pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

Nothing to Really Worry about.,Pls. What is d Meaning of Charles and Daniel? Which of these Names carry Greater Meaning and Weight? He is ur Son. You are d One to Pay his Fees and Educate him through School...So Do not Fret,Pls. But Know One thing...The Child has a Destiny...and God Knows Better which of d Names will be more Meaningful to his Existence and Pursuits in Life. Children Sometimes Changes Names given by Parents also...so no need to Fight. But as a Father, I go with Daniel too Over Charles.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Bluntemperor: 8:16pm On May 13, 2023
Karleb:

Guy what is your problem? undecided

Bro,ask him that question again!
But OP,what is your wife reactions in all this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I was Locked In a Room For 7 Months and forced to marry Him: Wife tells judge / Things That Are Better Than Money / My 5 yr old Cousin Behaves like Ancestor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.