Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name (40566 Views)

Help Needed! I Am Finding It Difficult Calling My Brother 'sir'. / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Yankiss(m): 10:45pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:
NA THEM KNOW THE REAL PAPA

I understand grandparents and calling their grandkids their preferred name

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

But you see switching from Charles to Daniel

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

Oga that child isn’t yours
Jumping to stupid conclusion. Haba. You and advice.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Lvgirl: 10:45pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:
NA THEM KNOW THE REAL PAPA

I understand grandparents and calling their grandkids their preferred name

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

But you see switching from Charles to Daniel

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

Oga that child isn’t yours

The father named him Daniel here you are calling him Charles
It's unfair to the Father

Well the parent of your wife knows the truth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by CarlosTheJackal: 10:47pm On May 13, 2023
sisisioge:
Na wa for you o OP. Are his school mates going to call him Daniel? Will his birth cert be changed to Daniel? Will you then start call him Daniel? Easy fa... every close family member usually have special names for children but their official names win eventually.

Someone mentioned the other day that her son refused to answer to his name in preschool because he thought his name was sweetheart as his mommy fondly calls him grin. It will pass.
what the Op is trying to explain is that a two year old child will be more receptive to the name he is being called always.

The grandparents need to understand that the father of the child wishes should be respected

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by luckedesiri(m): 10:47pm On May 13, 2023
Charles Daniels.... Make sense
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by malvisguy212: 10:49pm On May 13, 2023
Ever8090:
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....
something wey no suppose o be problem. someone even telling him that the child isnt his own. so sad
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ukaface(f): 11:09pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:
Your case no easy oo
There are some inlaws like that, it almost happened to me, I named my son Jeremy and they tried to change it to Jeremiah, I no waste time hala that his name is Jeremy and not Jeremiah, abeg na my pikin, una don give una pikin their names, just leave mine for me, if una no fit call am Jeremy, make una use sign language call am
What’s the meaning of Jeremy?

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by maasoap(m): 11:17pm On May 13, 2023
Ever8090:
there is nothing anyone will tell you that will make you have sense at least on this matter so I will better allow you remain where you are in your new generational madness and some stupid new generational misleading religious teaching......in those days, one of the joy for parents and children is to hear grant parents call children there preferred names, some grand parents name their grams children names that suits their experiences in life and this children grow up to be more wise and reasonable than you guys who are criticising the exercise today

Humour me please. Someone named his kid, Charles but some grandparents decided his name should be Daniel! That's disrespectful, nothing more! They didn't see local names of their choice?

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ElijahIme1992(m): 11:29pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:
These foreign names wey una dey call children dey vex me. Wetin be Charles and Daniel?
Whatever happened to Izuchukwu, Uwem, Adebola, Ovundah?

God help Africa!!
u self u no hear as all those local name sound? Just use my own name for example Elijah, anywhere I enter as I hala my name everybody dey sit up adjust..
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Odidigboigbo(m): 11:41pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

True talk, if he start answering that name at his early age of 2yrs.....some of u are misinterpreting nicknames for real names.
Op said his boy is 2yrs,
Na nickname Dem wan dey call the boy for school ? Or neighbors calling ur 2yrs old nickname?
I no comprehend
There is no issue here, most grandparents gives their grandchildren special names.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Heartbender: 11:43pm On May 13, 2023
Same issue im having
joeargy:
Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice...

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by isabi2lof: 11:47pm On May 13, 2023
MrDoGood:

I honestly don't think most ever happened.

Sometimes I just read them for reading sake and also comment . Especially on Facebook, the fabricated stories are much .
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by E2000: 11:48pm On May 13, 2023
The child is not yours. That name Daniel was probably given to the child by his suspected father and your wife confided in her parents. Secretly Do a DNA test. To be sure your child's name is not Daniel for real.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by viodemus: 11:52pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!

lol !!!
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by slimmoney(m): 12:20am On May 14, 2023
OP what is the color of ur problem? why are u making a mountain out of a molehill, ordinary unofficial name u dey raise dust over like this.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by viodemus: 12:42am On May 14, 2023
your eyes go clear when dem go cun dey call am by whistling or ey suu.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by seunayantokun(m): 12:58am On May 14, 2023
If the child is actually yours, talk to your wife and both of you should agree on a peaceful approach to it. However. don't fail to insist on your desire. You also need to move your family far away from them. If warranted, be firm and drive home the message for them to learn to respect you and your wife. Some in-laws are just incorrigible, so you have to be impossible to them.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Antyxx: 1:37am On May 14, 2023
anyilalaz:
No issue here bro. That is grandparents for you. Just call him the name you gave him, update the same on his birth certificate, school etc. When we had my first child, my mother called her Amarachukwu, My mother-in-law called here Toochukwu, my land lady gave her yoruba name - Anuoluwapo, wife called her Favour, me where be her papa call am, Chizita.

No issue in the house and she respond when these people call her. She identify them via phone when she is called by those name...
finally na me be her PAPA.
your baby is so blessed with love. let the mumu op be angry over nothing,he be ode
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 1:51am On May 14, 2023
ukaface:

What’s the meaning of Jeremy?
The name "Jeremy" means "God will uplift" or "God will uplift/raise," in various interpretations,
Jeremy is one of God's prophet in the bible, he wasn't popular like some, read the bible very well and u will see Jeremy there

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Slurity(m): 2:11am On May 14, 2023
joeargy:

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?
Very easy, stop everyone from calling him the name you didn't give him, make it obvious and correct them at every opportunity you have, also stop the boy going to the grandparents that want to force another name on him, them them even know that its because of that name thing. Never let the name appears in any of his certificates or documentation. Always tell the boy himself that his name is not Daniel
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by KingofHearts(m): 3:40am On May 14, 2023
joeargy:

The problem is he is answering that name, we live close to them hence the frequent visits...if u call him Daniel, he will say ehh!!

You all just like making issues of nothing and creating problems! The boy will answer the name on his birth certificate by himself.

I experienced the same! When he gets to school where he will spend most of his days his friends will scream Charles, his books will scream Charles, himself will scream surname first then Charles.

Leave him alone! He even needs those names to play his games in future, like give one girl Charles, give another Daniel while still not technically telling a lie!!

We need you to focus on helping to solve problems like unemployment, general Nigeria problems e.t.c

Don’t mind those telling you he is not your child,they know nothing!! Don’t spend energy policing everyone because of name. A father names his child, you have done that already.Have fun and focus on real problems,Cheers!!
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pressplay411(m): 4:06am On May 14, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

Both are good names by the way.
Curious, does he have a Nigerian name too?

And If you don't mind me asking;

-Why do you prefer Charles to Daniel?
-Why does it still bother you, since you already know that grandparents often do that?

A commenter here gave a good counsel- the name on your child's birth certificate is what matters. And the name you, his parents call him. Most importantly the name he identifies with.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by konvicted77: 4:42am On May 14, 2023
Ever8090:
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....
Ike gwuru.
should this be an issue at all??.
some people today are well known by the names given to them by other's, but that doesn't change the fact dat it's not their real names.
OP goan sitdan.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Berankis: 5:26am On May 14, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
Oga calm down small. The Daniel they are calling him is not last name now. It's just like other names. Even my own mother has her other names for my children and she doesn't call them the names I gave them. And I am never offended, even my younger brother is also a culprit. E no really matter. grin
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Ndipe(m): 5:52am On May 14, 2023
Why is your moniker "Elliot . . ."? Practice what you preach.

Elliotwaveforec:
Mumu people bearing slave names and they're proud of it. What happens to Chukwudi, Adeola, Oghene or Danjuma? Black man sha.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by candelahria(f): 6:09am On May 14, 2023
Pet names are different from real names
JeffreyJunior:
I don't really see an issue in this.

Grandparents always have preferred names for their grandkids and oftentimes, the names are born out of their belief in reincarnation.

My grandma called me Obim until she died because she believed I was reincarnation of her late husband and she practically begged my dad to name me after the man which is why my Igbo name is Obi×××.

Your inlaws mean no harm, please let it go.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Elidrisy20: 6:13am On May 14, 2023
Daniel is a nice name to
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by deltateam: 6:19am On May 14, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

Simply include Daniel as one of his names. Let him have Charles as his first name in his documents. Some people even have 3 to 4 names, surname excluded.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by simplepee(f): 6:35am On May 14, 2023
Waffarianman:

It's easy except you don't wanna man up and take the bull🐂 by it's horn. same shit happened to me some time back and I changed the narrative that's all. I told my wife that her parents to stop the names they called my son's maybe she's afraid to tell them then I personally told my father in-law to stop the name he called my kids he stated quoting laws I just kukuma free ahm... I just tell him to his face that my kids are not coming holiday at his house again he fear till today I warn my wife not to take my kids to her parents place. It's like 5yrs now my kids never visit there let's see how you call my kids different name.. just man up bro you'll defeat them it's easy..... I be full blood warri I don't take rubbish that's all
This is so wrong. You are separating your kids from their grandparents just because of names? I can imagine the tension you’ve put in your wife and her parents’ relationship. Nawa o
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Allisgud: 6:37am On May 14, 2023
If it were to be a native name from the inlaw he for still dey ok

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Tims088: 6:42am On May 14, 2023
Growing up this happened to me, my paternal and maternal family both have different names for me, i still answer both names and have no problem with it, i know my official name so it doesn't bother me
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Sunnyski: 6:46am On May 14, 2023
I will advise you to change location to end the frequent visit.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by babajeje123(m): 6:49am On May 14, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
Even my mother doesn't call by kids the name I gave them. Don't create an issue where there is none.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. / His Maid Is Pregnant For Him And He Wants Abortion / Blessing Oko Ikpor: Bank Manager Husband In ‘Secret’ Wedding Saga In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.