Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,753 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK (41989 Views)

American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:27pm On May 15, 2023
t2luv1:

Even in America, nothing is 50:50 unless both of you use joint bank accounts (Something I will strongly advise against doing). In all my years of living in the USA whenever a woman makes more than her husband trust me on this one aspect Nigeria women are still better as compared to American women. They still tend to respect their husband, but American women forget about it she rules.

Every woman is shaped by her environment aka her society, if you do research you will find why those women are like that.

The women in every society act and behave according to their environment as an outersider its easy to pick negatives but the most important aspect of the puzzle is trying to understand the history behind such and circumstances which made them
who they are

For example why most nigerians girls about while why south african girls have kids even at young age
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 6:28pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:

Mmmkay sweetheart undecided

- πŸ’‹
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 6:37pm On May 15, 2023
Yep their solutions never involve mutual respect for both parties.
Kobojunkie:
I thought for a second he was being serious about advising African men to carry fewer burdens until I read the lines where he suggested they marry more wives in order to have more hands on deck as far as handling chores. I was like what the heck.... ROFLMAO grin

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ehay(f): 6:41pm On May 15, 2023
cry
erico2k2:

MayB they should ru their own ship in Nigeria too ajjnd get used to it
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by godliman: 6:47pm On May 15, 2023
Nigerian women who copy European women will end up like them. Old haggard English women come for sex tourism in Gambia, they pay young Gambian gigolos to sleep with them. If you ask me I think that is how the story ends. An old hag traveling abroad where nobody knows her to pay her grand child for sex. It stinks. God bless our grannies who stay decades with their husbands.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 6:51pm On May 15, 2023
t2luv1:

Even in America, nothing is 50:50 unless both of you use joint bank accounts (Something I will strongly advise against doing). In all my years of living in the USA whenever a woman makes more than her husband trust me on this one aspect Nigeria women are still better as compared to American women. They still tend to respect their husband, but American women forget about it she rules.

- There is no Marriage, as we know it, in the West today. What they have is Partnership, and Africans migrating to these places should know that and act appropriately.

-As per bills, use a Spreadsheet. A joint acccount is a No-No if you earn more. But it is do-able if you earn same amount and contribute equally to ALL things - thanks to Microsoft Spreadsheet.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:51pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Me too! We may even need a series of threads to explore it in-depth! undecided
True, it can be informative because a lot of people just run with uninformed opinions and love to blame women for everything.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:
Yep their solutions never involve mutual respect for both parties.
Exactly! grin
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:03pm On May 15, 2023
godliman:
Nigerian women who copy European women will end up like them. Old haggard English women come for sex tourism in Gambia, they pay young Gambian gigolos to sleep with them. If you ask me I think that is how the story ends. An old hag traveling abroad where nobody knows her to pay her grand child for sex. It stinks. God bless our grannies who stay decades with their husbands.

thats the power men dont want

but men havr been doing that for years and no one moans about it

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 15, 2023
shileowo:
can you feel like sleeping with 3 men a week without hurting youself

Start by telling your mother to sleep with 5 men in a week let's see how it goes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Crafteck1: 7:19pm On May 15, 2023
edoairways:

It is just a stereotype which shouldn't be generalized

Oga... Its the basis of Christianity in Nigeria...
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Yoighaman(m): 7:22pm On May 15, 2023
wonder233:
The simple reason is that the UK, like most places in the west is a place of freedom and economic empowerment especially for females. This brings out the true nature of Nigerian females who have been married purely for economic reasons which originates from vacuous trado-religious beliefs.
So a lady who sees it as an anathema for a woman to earn money is suddenly in a clime where she earns her own money at par or even more than the man. She automatically disregards him and leaps to the new found freedom of sleeping around with different men, which has always been their true nature, but are forced to conceal with false modesty cos of the conservative Nigerian society

Sense wee not kee you πŸ‘πŸΎ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kayclite: 7:47pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:
- Women giving wotowoto to all these Euro-wanabe African men. grin

- Marriage that is not Polygamy, is that one Marriage? Mtchew!

We love to see it grin

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by malcom1X: 7:53pm On May 15, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

Every woman is shaped by her environment aka her society, if you do research you will find why those women are like that.

The women in every society act and behave according to their environment as an outersider its easy to pick negatives but the most important aspect of the puzzle is trying to understand the history behind such and circumstances which made them
who they are

For example why most nigerians girls about while why south african girls have kids even at young age
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On May 15, 2023
edoairways:
That is a big fat lie
He is telling the truth. The false teachers and false prophets established the religion of Christianity in order to bilk the minds and lives of gullible followers out there. You take that power and the money β€” tithes and offerings β€” out of the equation, and many of them will disperse.
1. In the past there were false prophets among God’s people. It is the same now. You will have some false teachers in your group. They will teach things that are wrongβ€”ideas that will cause people to be lost. And they will teach in a way that will be hard for you to see that they are wrong. They will even refuse to follow the Master who bought their freedom. And so they will quickly destroy themselves.
2 Many people will follow them in the morally wrong things they do. And because of them, others will say bad things about the way of truth we follow.
3 These false teachers only want your money. So they will use you by telling you things that are not true. But the judgment against these false teachers has been ready for a long time. And they will not escape God who will destroy them. - 2 Peter 1 vs 1 - 3
Jesus Christ Himself warned you that they are thieves who come to steal, to kill and destroy, all while using the name of God. lipsrsealed
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by tonytony208(m): 8:29pm On May 15, 2023
madridguy:
It is too much freedom.

Well, to me I still blame the men in such position, I no go sell my property, borrow money for us to travel you come reach foreign land make you come say you no do again. E no possible. We must talk am very well before we comot for Naija.

Talk or sign agreement?
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by worried222: 8:51pm On May 15, 2023
bukatyne:

This is another interesting take.

I know that the Asians are doing well familywise and one of their unique qualities is 'they do not deviate from their culture and are a closely knit community'.

I would take a leap and also assume that Muslims don't have a spike in the divorce rates because they are 'same' everywhere. While there are different levels of devotion in Islam, there is no 'modern' version. No Muslim (no matter how rich or 'exposed') would tell you Homosexuality is 'ok' or hijab is wrong or disagree on the definition of decent/indecent dressing.

However, when you come to Christianity, there are levels of modernity that a true Christian would feel out of place and wonder if it is the same Bible we are referencing.

It is sad.
I never knew nl women can be this intelligent (pun intended)
Yeah, you are very correct. Those woke christains are they ones that will shout divorce at the slightest provocation.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 8:55pm On May 15, 2023
bukatyne:
β–  This is another interesting take. I know that the Asians are doing well familywise and one of their unique qualities is 'they do not deviate from their culture and are a closely knit community'. I would take a leap and also assume that Muslims don't have a spike in divorce rates because they are 'same' everywhere. 1. Divorce rates among Muslims in Plateau state, as far back as the 80s was as high as 80% even. Divorce is not a big deal in Islam as it is a right. It is instead the Christian South that makes a big deal of divorce all while embracing adultery and every other ill.
β–  While there are different levels of devotion in Islam, there is no 'modern' version. No Muslim (no matter how rich or 'exposed') would tell you Homosexuality is 'ok' or hijab is wrong or disagree on the definition of decent/indecent dressing. However, when you come to Christianity, there are levels of modernity that a true Christian would feel out of place and wonder if it is the same Bible we are referencing. It is sad.
2. What does this have to do with this topic abeg? undecided
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Akinbahm(m): 9:36pm On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystication of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Good pm, do you still have the project soft copy... in case you do please help me forward to this gmail account cruiselord98@gmaildotcom
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Mindlog: 9:40pm On May 15, 2023
Akinbahm:

Good pm, do you still have the project soft copy... in case you do please help me forward to this gmail account cruiselord98@gmaildotcom

It is someone's else intellectual property and her work in progress which she is going to submit and defend in September for her graduation in November, so I can't share it.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by IbeOkehie: 9:53pm On May 15, 2023
Well, everyone has their own opinion.

The paramount thing is this - marriage should be based on a well drafted prenuptial agreement. No one should marry without it.

End.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 9:55pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
2. What does this have to do with this topic abeg? undecided

Read the post I quoted and this post and you would get it.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 9:57pm On May 15, 2023
descarado:

What should they discuss?

Just get it right from the beginning. Characters encoded in the dna is hard, very hard to change. We often look the other way when the tale tell signs are everywhere during courtship.

How are you and family?

As they refused to get it right nko?

At least japaing is a last chance to do the right thing.

We are good, my warm regards to your family.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 10:02pm On May 15, 2023
xynerise:

I still blame him for what is happening to him. Back in Nigeria, all they do is spend for today without plan for tomorrow. No investment, no properties. Just bring make we chop and clubbing every weekend.

It is well with him.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 10:05pm On May 15, 2023
bukatyne:
Read the post I quoted and this post and you would get it.
The poster said nothing about divorce being related to people's dress sense. Again, divorce rates in the North have almost always been very high compared to the South where these things are not officially tracked.

The following is taken from an article written in 2012 on Aljazeera.
The state government of the Northern Nigerian State of Kano is on a mission to shed the image of its state being home the largest number of divorcees in Nigeria. On Sunday it hosted a mass wedding ceremony for 250 divorcees, widows, and young unmarried girls. Its aim was to encourage marriage, reduce the number of divorcees and widows in the community, and help those who can’t afford it. Divorce rates in northern Nigeria are among the highest in West Africa. Although there are no definitive figures, it’s believed that one in three marriages fail within three years.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2012/7/16/nigerias-kano-shakes-off-divorce-capital-tag
Divorce rates are high regardless of religion.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 10:08pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
The poster said nothing about divorce being related to people's dress sense. Again, divorce rates in the North have almost always been very high compared to the South where these things are not officially tracked.

The following is taken from an article written in 2012 on Aljazeera.
Divorce rates are high regardless of religion.

Keep reading both posts, you will get it someday.

P.S.: the poster I was talking to understood my response.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ObalendeCMS: 1:04am On May 16, 2023
Rubbish!!
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by chimpad: 1:24am On May 16, 2023
This is the best comment on this topic. That's exactly what the problem is with the Nigerian marriages.
wonder233:
The simple reason is that the UK, like most places in the west is a place of freedom and economic empowerment especially for females. This brings out the true nature of Nigerian females who have been married purely for economic reasons which originates from vacuous trado-religious beliefs.
So a lady who sees it as an anathema for a woman to earn money is suddenly in a clime where she earns her own money at par or even more than the man. She automatically disregards him and leaps to the new found freedom of sleeping around with different men, which has always been their true nature, but are forced to conceal with false modesty cos of the conservative Nigerian society

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by haybhi1(m): 1:42am On May 16, 2023
LordAdam16:

Would love to read that.
Any idea on how I could access it?
-Lord

Hi chief.
Stumbled on one of your posts yesterday and it didn't take long before you come across as a bright fellow. Couldn't help stop brandishing them with likes, I think you probably noticed.

You're smart, and like a chap I'll like to be around. 🀝🀝

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by seniorgozman(m): 5:14am On May 16, 2023
Marriages are no longer working. Just find who will bear kids for you and have your peace
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Princessdainty(m): 5:25am On May 16, 2023
TyroneP:
One of many reasons is the fact that in a typical Nigerian family, the man shoulders more than 80% if not 100% financial responsibilities. The culture shock of adjusting to a situation in which both of them need to contribute immensely to the smooth running of the family could sometimes lead to domestic issues at home.
True. And now that responsibility is shared equally, no more lordship grin Γ nd submission... Church agbasala!!!
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Princessdainty(m): 5:54am On May 16, 2023
worried222:

I never knew nl women can be this intelligent (pun intended)
Yeah, you are very correct. Those woke christains are they ones that will shout divorce at the slightest provocation.
do you not have intelligent females in your family (Plenty pun intended).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids β€” Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / Should I Continue Giving Money To My Friend's Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.