Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK (41951 Views)

American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On May 15, 2023
pooozeee:
Mine did not get to two years before we got divorced. It was under 6months
Abroad or in Nigeria? undecided
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Hydroxide(m): 5:31pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:

Is it possible the way we socialize our men to view women might be the issue?

Are we going to be for real for once?
That's how women reason here in this part of the world. If a man hits money the first thing that comes to his mind, is looking for a good woman but when a woman hits money, the first thing that comes to her mind is being a Boss lady and she will brag she don't need any man.

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by erico2k2(m): 5:35pm On May 15, 2023
Righteousness2:
Real joy and satisfaction is not in travelling to the UK, America, France, etc.
Real peace is not in moving to Europe, asia, America, the middle east, Australia etc

Anywhere you are in the world, real joy and Satisfaction is only available in JESUS Christ.
There must be a conscious effort to know JESUS, Obey His word and live for JESUS Christ.

In JESUS Christ alone we find real peace in this troubled and sinking world.
The way it seems right now ,Jesus Lives in Europe and America, Devil lives in Africa, where would you rather be

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by erico2k2(m): 5:38pm On May 15, 2023
delishpot:
Nigerian men be destroying their marriages in UK because they can't see their wives as independent human beings who can question their actions.
Nigeria supports their abuse but the UK doesn't allow that rubbish hence the women out of desperation prefer to run their own ship instead of running a ship where when you see destructive wave you can stir away because Oga will say he is the head and he has chosen to enter the wave as the head of the ship.
MayB they should run their own ship in Nigeria too and get used to it
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:
They all know the truth but let’s dance around the issue with bullshiet analysis The marriages where the men treat their wives well last. And I mean men who understand the importance of treating their wives how they want to be treated aka the true Christian way not the “misogyny in disguise packaged into religion” way
It ain't even about being true Christians as I equally know traditionalists who have similar respect their spouses. It is common sense to do in relationships really. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:
Even in Nigeria men share bills with their wives. The problem is they do that and still expect her to take on all the domestic responsibilities. Sharing bills has never been their issue. Their main problem is the expectation that the women be okay with disrespect

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 5:40pm On May 15, 2023
Hydroxide:
That's how women reason here in this part of the world. If a man hits money the first thing that comes to his mind, is looking for a good woman but when a woman hits money, the first thing that comes to her mind is being a Boss lady and she will brag she don't need any man.

Okay I see we are still choosing to be economical with the truth. The men who hit money are not typically trying to see how many women they can get with (even when they are married)?

All I see is a group of people who are not ready to actually be for real. Maybe one there’ll be a solution but as of today when everyone is the problem except you guys, you will still see the same results over and over again

3 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by caesymore(m): 5:41pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
if you also take me there is it a bad thing??

Werey grin
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PoliticalChinex(m): 5:41pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage

U wan dump that 9ja boyfriend as u dey look for who go carry u go UK
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 5:42pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It ain't even about being true Christians about as I equally know traditionalists who have similar respect their spouses. It is common sense to do in relationships really. undecided

Totally agree. It should be common sense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 5:42pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:

Even in Nigeria men share bills with their wives. The problem is they do that and still expect her to take on all the domestic responsibilities.

Sharing bills has never been their issue. Their main problem is the expectation that the women be okay with disrespect

-Few, not most, may share household bills in Nigeria, but not 50:50 as "equal partners" should. Most Nigerian women marry men above their socio-economic status and won't be able to share most of those bills anyway, and this leaves the men running against brick walls in order to keep the home going - a thankless job.

-Perhaps, men who wants to get into this monogamous relationships needs to marry only women within their socio-economic status not below. This can go along way to normalise their relationships...

-The African man is carrying too much of the burden to build a home, village, town and city for his community and people. These things weigh men down and affect their mental health too. So let's cut the men some slack, and also stop nudging them on to keep on ruining their physical and mental health for the good of others especially women. The African woman must step-up and carry some, if not half, of the burden in order to earn some respect.

- As par the household chores, thats why Polygamy is there... more hands gets things done sooner and better, otherwise "partners" should invest in some white-goods and live their Europhile lifestyle in peace.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ffo(m): 5:44pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage

Why cant you be the one to take someone to UK? there are ladies taking men to UK too
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by edoairways: 5:44pm On May 15, 2023
Crafteck1:

Who go talk sey god call am if money no dey there bro
It is just a stereotype which shouldn't be generalized
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:47pm On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystication of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆

I go for like read this project oo.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:
■ -Few, not most, may share household bills in Nigeria, but not 50:50 as "equal partners" should. Most Nigerian women marry men above their socio-economic status and won't be able to share most of those bills anyway, and this leaves the men running against brick walls in order to keep the home going - a thankless job.-Perhaps, men who wants to get into this monogamous relationships needs to marry only women within their socio-economic status not below. This can go along way to normalise their relationships...
of what value or meaning is the statement in bold to this here subject? undecided
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On May 15, 2023
Ladyhippolyta88:
I go for like read this project oo.
Me too! We may even need a series of threads to explore it in-depth! undecided

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 5:50pm On May 15, 2023
I see your definition of reality is based on nairaland. I won’t be going back and forth with you on a clearly disingenuous premise.

PDJT:

-Few, not most, may share household bills in Nigeria, but not 50:50 as "equal partners" should. Most Nigerian women marry men above their socio-economic status and won't be able to share most of those bills anyway, and this leaves the men running against brick walls in order to keep the home going - a thankless job.

-Perhaps, men who wants to get into this monogamous relationships needs to marry only women within their socio-economic status not below. This can go along way to normalise their relationships...

-The African man is carrying too much of the burden to build a home, village, and city for his community and people. These things weigh men down and affect their mental health too. So let's cut the men some slack, and also stop nudging them on to keep on ruining their physical and mental health for the good of others especially women. The African woman must step-up and carry some, if not half, of the burden in order to earn some respect.

- As par the household chores, thats why Polygamy is there... more hands gets things done sooner and better, otherwise "partners" should invest in some white-goods and live their Europhile lifestyle in peace.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by HaneefahRN(f): 5:50pm On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystication of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆

God bless you.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by promzy555(m): 5:53pm On May 15, 2023
Arranging marriage. If u know u kn
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 5:53pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
of what value or meaning is the statement in bold to this here subject? undecided

His solution to the problems in the marriage is for the men to marry more wives. because the women obviously are not human beings hence whatever the men have against sharing their wives with other men is not applicable to women.

Like I said, they will promote everything dysfunctional except working on themselves to be more lovable husbands. They are not ready for solutions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 5:54pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:
I see your definition of reality is based on nairaland. I won’t be going back and forth with you on a clearly disingenuous premise.

-Whatever love. X
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by t2luv1: 5:55pm On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Very funny

The problem with you Nigerian men is that you think all the nonsense permitted in our society which you get away with, also applies there when you travel out, very funny.

There are so many women earning their living in Nigeria because the economy permits it, there are so many women earning more than their husbands in this Nigeria, so what exactly is the difference between Nigeria and U.K?

The real reason why Nigeriaan women refuse to take your bullshit abroad is because you think you can eat your cake and have it, the constant polygamous in nature bs, treating her like she is nothing, cheating anyhow, controlling mindset with subjugation and dominance, will not be tolerated in a society where people's mental state and health especially that of women is important for a sane and functioning society, unlike here that it is expected of women to remain in abusive marriages because society says so.

If you like keep being pained that Nigerian women are on a fvcking spree same as you men that take pride in it, something that has been going on and rampant in Nigeria what exactly will be the difference abroad? How exactly is it a new found freedom?

You nl boys really over rate yourselves sha.

I was this close to agreeing with you on some points until that overrate thing. Depending on the woman's age if after 35 she wants to leave I will say please let her go. Until someone can show me what freaking things in this world appreciate in values with age and after being used. The Same thing applies to men.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:
■ The African man is carrying too much of the burden to build a home, village, and city for his community and people. These things weigh men down and affect their mental health too. So let's cut the men some slack, and also stop nudging them on to keep on ruining their physical and mental health for the good of others especially women. The African woman must step-up and carry some, if not half, of the burden in order to earn some respect.
■ As par the household chores, thats why Polygamy is there... more hands gets things done sooner and better, otherwise "partners" should invest in some white-goods and live their Europhile lifestyle in peace.
But no one holds a gun to their heads to cause them to choose these burdens for themselves. Why must the woman do anything when it is the men who continue to burden themselves in these ways? undecided

2. So, in order to avoid doing chores, marrying more than one wife is what makes sense? Wow... and earlier, and here I was thinking you wanted men to carry fewer burdens in marriage? undecided

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:
His solution to the problems in the marriage is for the men to marry more wives. because the women obviously are not human beings hence whatever the men have against sharing their wives with other men is not applicable to women. Like I said, they will promote everything dysfunctional except working on themselves to be more lovable husbands. They are not ready for solutions.
I thought for a second he was being serious about advising African men to carry fewer burdens until I read the lines where he suggested they marry more wives in order to have more hands on deck as far as handling chores. I was like what the heck.... ROFLMAO grin

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 5:58pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:

- Ha! You again. How much would you pay me to educate you on that?
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by descarado: 6:00pm On May 15, 2023
bukatyne:

TBH, any couple serious about japa today need to settle and agree on a lot of stuff before leaving like the poster I quoted yesterday opined especially if they run the 'Nigerian' marriage here.

Would like to read the dissertation. Did he also go a step further to compare and contrast with Asians?
What should they discuss?

Just get it right from the beginning. Characters encoded in the dna is hard, very hard to change. We often look the other way when the tale tell signs are everywhere during courtship.

How are you and family?
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On May 15, 2023
xynerise:
The thing just tire me o. My uncle is going through same issue
Do you know why it is happening to your uncle though? I am asking that you take off the blinders and examine every detail of why exactly he is going through it. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 6:09pm On May 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
But no one holds a gun to their heads to cause them to choose these burdens for themselves. Why must the woman do anything when it is the men who continue to burden themselves in these ways? undecided

2. So, in order to avoid doing chores, marrying more than one wife is what makes sense? Wow... and earlier, and here I was thinking you wanted men to carry on themselves fewer burdens? undecided

-Women are not a burden to real men. Only the Simps are burdened by women.

-Sure, Polygamy makes more sense especially in today's world full of lazy postmodernist women.

-And yes, if women wants equal respect they must share the burden 50:50. Deal?

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Mindlog: 6:12pm On May 15, 2023
keepingmum:

Pls could you point me to the dissertation? It ll make a good read please.

It is a draft and the Masters student is still working on it, as she is going to present and submit it in September, for her graduation in November. So I do not have the rights to share her academic work as she shared it with me in confidence, for my insights as I encouraged her to opt for Psychology fot her Masters.

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:
■ -Women are not a burden to real men. Only the Simps are burdened by women. -Sure, Polygamy makes more sense especially in today's world full of lazy postmodernist women. -And yes, if women wants equal respect they must share the burden 50:50. Deal?
So a married man has zero responsibility toward the woman he is married to? undecided

Keep twisting yourself up in tangled-up knots there.

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by t2luv1: 6:19pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:

-Few, not most, may share household bills in Nigeria, but not[b] 50:50 [/b]as "equal partners" should. Most Nigerian women marry men above their socio-economic status and won't be able to share most of those bills anyway, and this leaves the men running against brick walls in order to keep the home going - a thankless job.

-The African man is carrying too much of the burden to build a home, village, and city for his community and people. These things weigh men down and affect their mental health too. So let's cut the men some slack, and also stop nudging them on to keep on ruining their physical and mental health for the good of others especially women. The African woman must step-up and carry some, if not half, of the burden in order to earn some respect.

Even in America, nothing is 50:50 unless both of you use joint bank accounts (Something I will strongly advise against doing). In all my years of living in the USA whenever a woman makes more than her husband trust me on this one aspect Nigeria women are still better as compared to American women. They still tend to respect their husband, but American women forget about it she rules.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 6:22pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:

-Whatever love. X
Mmmkay sweetheart undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / My Husband Threatened To Divorce Me Because Of His Friend.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.