Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,043 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK (41898 Views)

American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by chidiokay: 10:20am On May 24, 2023
cococandy:

So the success of marriages in Nigeria depends on overworked and abused women.

We should be ashamed of it

It really just hard to comprehend things you say sometimes esp. when your emotions are all over the bedspread undecided

How does a domestic chores amount to slavery or women abuse, don't you gurlz do it in your father's house, undergraduate days and single years .. but the minute a modern woman marries cooking for her own children and taking care of her home is percieved slavery ... undecided even kim kardiashian cooks, kourtney do chores like its nothing
How are women over worked that men are not over worked,or you think providing easy undecided

abuse is not only pertinent to Men, women abuse men tew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Carcholce: 9:17am On May 27, 2023
chidiokay:

It really just hard to comprehend things you say sometimes esp. when your emotions are all over the bedspread undecided

How does a domestic chores amount to slavery or women abuse, don't you gurlz do it in your father's house, undergraduate days and single years .. but the minute a modern woman marries cooking for her own children and taking care of her home is percieved slavery ... undecided even kim kardiashian cooks, kourtney do chores like its nothing
How are women over worked that men are not over worked,or you think providing easy undecided

abuse is not only pertinent to Men, women abuse men tew

This should tell you that most women that complains of slavery in their husband’s house were never useful to their parents.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Konquest: 3:35pm On Jan 26
EBMedia:
A human right lawyer, Bolanle, has decried the high rate of divorce among ‘happily married' Nigerian couples after they relocate to the UK, IGBERETV reports.

He wrote on his Twitter handle;

https://twitter.com/BolanleCole/status/1657282890005196800?t=03ImUcp6y2jvwnJ8xWaP6A&s=19
Bump.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Konquest: 3:40pm On Jan 26
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystification of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆

Nice key points.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by yommen: 8:51pm On Jan 26
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage

I checked your DP and saw 2 creatures. Which one is you?
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Notfogotten: 11:58pm On Jan 26
DeLaRue:
Women are more likely to find financial elevation and independence quicker in these foreign countries.

The day your wife starts earning enough to not depend on you in any of these countries, the dynamics of the relationship is very quickly likely to change.

In Nigeria, however successful a wife is, she will think twice (may be 10 times) before summoning the courage to tell her husband, my dear please wash the plates in the kitchen, wash the clothes and spread them outside, and tidy up the room and the toilets.

But abroad, na so your prim, previously holier than thou (when in Nigeria) wife go call you from work one day and tell you she's going on a night out with colleagues from work and remind you to do those things I mentioned above. Fear no go gree you ask why she want go out for drinks.

Na then you go no say, levels have changed. You wey you be 'oga' for Nigeria, for London, na just House man you be o. You do anyhow, you see anyhow grin

By the way, your wife who used to say divorce is 'over her dead body' in Nigeria will be so happy divorcing you in the UK.

That's not to say married people should not relocate abroad, but just know that however tight you feel your marriage is in Nigeria, moving abroad immediately increases the likelihood of that marriage failing within the next 7 years by at least 50%.

Please don't make the mistake of saying it can never happen to your family o. The people divorcing abroad also believed it could never happen to them.

Your position is valid. This leads me to ask a question: what advice would you offer men who are already abroad with their wives to ameliorate the impact of divorce when it come? Example, one school of taught advised men never to think of buying a house or paying mortgage abroad. That men should rather repatriate their investment to Nigeria so that when the inevitable happens, you wont lose anything.
What sayest thou to this?
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Notfogotten: 12:00am On Jan 27
Carcholce:

This should tell you that most women that complains of slavery in their husband’s house were never useful to their parents.

This is so true.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / My Husband Threatened To Divorce Me Because Of His Friend. / Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.