Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,020 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings (17326 Views)

LP, Peter Obi Join Atiku/PDP's Call For Live Proceedings Of Tribunal Sittings / INEC, APC, Tinubu May Oppose Live Broadcast Of Proceedings / INEC, APC, Bola Tinubu Footdrag Over Atiku's Request For Live Proceedings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by chisomkachy: 7:56am On May 19, 2023
The Presidential Election Petition Court, has reserved ruling in an application for live broadcast of the proceedings regarding the petition by candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar. A five-member panel of justices of the PREPEC, yesterday, announced that “judgment was reserved”, shortly after lawyers to parties in the petition argued for and against the granting of the application.

Atiku and PDP, who came second in the February 25 presidential election had pleaded with the court to “allow the televising of the proceedings in his petition given its significant monumental importance.”Their lawyer, Chief Chris Uche, SAN, in moving the application also prayed the court for an order directing the modalities for the implementation of the live telecast.

However, the three respondents – the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and the All Progressives Congress (APC) – opposed the request, arguing that it was inappropriate. INEC’s lawyer, Mr Abubakar Mahmoud, SAN, noted that if granted, it would defeat the solemn atmosphere and the seriousness of the court. Mahmoud, in addition, argued that with the flooding of the courtroom with all kinds of cameras on their faces including the judex, the proceedings would be brought under undue pressure.

Similarly, Tinubu’s lawyer, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, stated that live telecast of the proceedings was not necessary, because the proceedings was already being given effective coverage with the array of journalists seated in court. While arguing further that it was not a good time for the profession, Olanipekun submitted that the granting of the request could put court staff, lawyers and even witnesses at risk.

He observed that Nigeria was not yet ripe for the live broadcast of court’s because necessary facilities and laws were not in place to guide its implementation. On his part, APC’s lawyer, Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, who equated the televising of court’s proceedings to the ‘Big Brother Naija “ series, said that the application if granted would invade the privacy of even the judges. Fagbemi further claimed that if granted, it would lead to a situation where petitioners in governorship, National and State Houses of Assemblies election would be demanding for live streaming of their proceedings.

“We don’t have the structure and facility, no policy document” he said, stating that even in climes where televising of court’s proceedings were permitted, it was still limited, excluding when witnesses were giving evidence,” he said. After listening to the submissions of counsel, Justice Haruna Tsammani announced that judgment was reserved to a date that would be communicated to parties. Meanwhile, during the report on harmonisation, it was disclosed that parties agreed not to oppose all documents that emanated from the INEC in the conduct of the February 25 presidential election.

The documents must, however, be certified as true reflection of the original copies in line with the provisions of the law guiding admissibility of documents. These resolutions were conveyed to the 5-man panel of Justices of the Presidential Election Petition Court hearing the joint petition of Atiku and PDP challenging the declaration of Tinubu as winner of the disputed election, yesterday.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/05/19/court-reserves-ruling-in-atikus-motion-for-live-broadcast-of-proceedings/

6 Likes

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Nobody: 7:57am On May 19, 2023
Whenever you catch a thief, the first thing he would tell you is "don't video me"

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Hotwest: 8:00am On May 19, 2023
I think sometime ago a court case concerning the nation dealings which was called Oputa panel was streamed live right?!

I hate politics most especially this APC and how they are riding on Nigerians.

We shouldn't over respect these old men before they destroy our future. I'm still wondering how a single sick old man can be controlling millions of Nigerians because he have alot of money to throw around. Are we that poor and cowards?! Make fight no break one day o

258 Likes 20 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Ofunaofu: 8:03am On May 19, 2023
Why is INEC, an electoral umpire funded by tax payers money behaving like a pressure group under the APC

What is INEC hiding.

Why is INEC behaving like a political party

233 Likes 21 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by IVORY2009(m): 8:04am On May 19, 2023
Hotwest:
I think sometime ago a court case concerning the nation dealings which was called Oputa panel was streamed live right?!

We shouldn't over respect these old men before they destroy our future. I'm still wondering how a single sick old man can be controlling millions of Nigerians because he have alot of money to throw around. Are we that poor and cowards?! Make fight no break one day o

When the revolution comes, they would be most affected

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Dexpro: 8:12am On May 19, 2023
It would be in the best interest of Nigerians if proceedings is televised.

131 Likes 12 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Parachoko: 8:16am On May 19, 2023
Dexpro:
Can you explain how?

121 Likes 9 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by blacknp(m): 8:20am On May 19, 2023
Hotwest:

Lazy old Almijiri, you are waiting for Bola Tinubu to come & better your life amongst your 200 million fellow Nigerians?

Keep waiting, because your local government chairman & Governor that you voted for, were not elected to serve you lazy Incoherent Obidient?

Only Bola Ahmed Tinubu working from Abuja was elected to make life pleasant for an ungrateful citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria like yourself?

Grab a bottle of Coca Cola & 3 galas as you wait for Federal assistance/aid.

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by slivertongue: 8:28am On May 19, 2023
I understand APC's stand but I don't understand that of INEC. INEC is behaving like a political party

97 Likes 8 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Penguin2: 8:28am On May 19, 2023
If INEC is so sure of that the outcome of the election is devoid of any underhand dealings and manipulation, why are they opposed to live broadcast? What are they hiding? Shouldn’t that be the best avenue for them to clear their name and convince Nigerians that they truly carried out a transparent process like they have been claiming?

Meanwhile, I heard the Tribunal will rule on Atiku’s case today. I might be wrong sha.

Fergie001 what do you know?

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by PlayerMeji: 8:30am On May 19, 2023
I think with this one that Igbos are already turning the East into a war zone, they will be more than willing to take care of any judge or witness of their extraction if he is found to support the ruling government or against their candidate.

Though, they are not tribalistic in fact, they remain the most detribalized region in Nigeria

So it will not be safe to broadcast the live proceedings for the safety of all involved.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Iruechi(f): 8:30am On May 19, 2023
Beloved, please don't just scroll pass, please can any kind hearted person please assist me with little money to get drugs. Am seriously down with malaria and typhoid, and I don't have a dime on me to eat or buy medicine am running temperature please.cant die in silence please help me in any little way. Almighty God meet you at the point of your needs, amen.
Please my name is Angel
G.TBank

35 Likes

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by olisaEze(m): 8:30am On May 19, 2023
grin
Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Johnrake69: 8:30am On May 19, 2023
Lol
Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by blacknp(m): 8:31am On May 19, 2023
Dexpro:
First will you have electricity to watch the proceedings, secondly you no get work, than to be waking watching court tv, which the conclusive outcome is already known to logical imagination?

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Guyman01: 8:31am On May 19, 2023
Like someone pointed out, its like these people hate transparency and openness.

Several years ago we had the Justice Oputa panel which looked into grievous crimes perpetrated under the military regime and it went well, as per cameras, the court can use even a single camera placed on the ceiling while journalists will be in another room broadcasting and there won't be any interruptions

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by allthingsgood: 8:31am On May 19, 2023
I support tinubu

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by tommykiwi(m): 8:32am On May 19, 2023
This are the same people you claimed voted you in, so why are you guys afraid for them to view the Live procedures of the ruling?
Except they are hiding something else, that we don't know about.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by gimakon2(m): 8:32am On May 19, 2023
If really they have nothing to hide, they should show everything.
corrupt lots.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by blacknp(m): 8:32am On May 19, 2023
slivertongue:
I understand APC's stand but I don't understand that of INEC
Whether live broadcast on Al Jazeera or delayed broadcast on AIT, Obi & Atiku no get case, just showboating to save face.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by ATEAMS: 8:32am On May 19, 2023
Nawao
Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Waterlilly: 8:32am On May 19, 2023
One thing is certain, GOD will not lose

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by ruggedtimi(m): 8:33am On May 19, 2023
Cos they re hiding something

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by ZombiePUNISHER: 8:33am On May 19, 2023
undecided

You want to see Abracadabra grin grin

Why I love Tinubu supporters is that they know and admit the flawed presidential election.. cheesy

They'll say go to Court..

but you wont see the abracadabra grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by slashthroat: 8:33am On May 19, 2023
LP and Pdp are just gasping for political air and survival with this ridiculous live telecast.

You want election to be annulled before 29th but filing yeye motion to waste the time of the court.

Una go lule again and again till ground reject una

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by slashthroat: 8:33am On May 19, 2023
ruggedtimi:
Cos they re hiding something

Was there live telecast in 1999, 2003, 2007. 2011. 2015 and 2019? So why is 2023 different?
Oh I remember Cos Gringory lost woefully.
Last question did Gringory televise his re-election tribunal court case?

if you are interested in the court case go and lodge in Abuja for 180 days and there in-person when the court sits. its the price you pay for democracy.

Una go cry till 2031

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by Way4orward: 8:33am On May 19, 2023
What's difficult there to do? Majority of Nigerians are interested in this case. We want live broadcast.

Is obvious that Elu peee contested against APC and INEC.

WHAT A COUNTRY!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by freshkpomo(m): 8:33am On May 19, 2023

It's obvious APC and inec are one. And if this statement actually came from APC and inec it means they just called people above 50 who went to cast their votes fools abd toddlers. I don't watch BBN, APC and inec are stupid including their supporters who don't see this comment as a wrong One.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by EmekaMD(m): 8:33am On May 19, 2023
INEC is sadly behaving like a contender in this election.
I didn't know Labour Party and Obi contested against INEC party of Nigeria

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by MasterJayJay: 8:33am On May 19, 2023
Babablu bulabu don go back to default setting of being a clown.

If the collation of votes was televised live, then it is stupidity to say the tribunal proceedings should not be on air.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Not Big Brother Naija: INEC, APC, Tinubu Oppose Live Proceedings by callmevirus(m): 8:33am On May 19, 2023
We want it to be televised

What are they hiding?

Why is Inec behaving like a candidate

20 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Reacts To Arrest Of Segun Onibiyo On The Orders Of El-Rufai / Senator Joshua Dariye Co-Sponsors A Motion From Prison / Army Got ₦1.08 Trillion In 28 Months, Zainab Ahmed Tells Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.