Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (292) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486663 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:19am On Nov 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

I can't agree less though. Driving with extra care is the way to go...

lol, forget extra care oh,

Cos na jejely I parked my car and still got into accident (right-off), person jam the car while parked.

Fortunately no lies on my records, got all my compensation including courtesy car.

Best not to lie at all, the cost of lying is way over what someone can afford and reputation being damaged, could make one’s name to enter insurance black list, I think cifas included coupled with continuous increase in premiums from subsequent insurance because you now have a responsibility to inform other insurance company that’s you’ve had an insurance canceled in the past.

Just don’t lie,

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:26am On Nov 11, 2023
Lilymond:
Good day my brothers and sisters,

Please I hold a spousal visa tier 2, visa will be activated by 25th of this month. My challenge is that I've been applying for jobs for over a month now and have been getting rejection mails. I want to know if there's something I'm not doing well. I hold a master's degree in public Health Education and bachelor's degree in health education. I'm open to corrections and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Nb: thanks for all you do here. It's been helpful.

Lots of reasons.

If cv and cover letter are okay and relevant to the job, I think for every 10-20 applications to private companies should at least give you 1 interview.

Civil service should be say like 10 good applications should at least give you 3-5 interviews.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:37am On Nov 11, 2023
solveabode:
Good day to you all.
I am at the verge of buying a property through Mortgage. I am less than 2 years in the UK on skilled worker visa and wife is just 8 months in the UK.

I have seen a house of interest and offer has been accepted. I got a Mortgage in principle from a small lender through a broker who requested for 15%deposit as a result of my status of not yet lived upto 2 years in the UK and accepted my wife to be included in the application.
My concern is this, the lender is requesting for 2 years fixed rate of 7.4%.
Please advise.
Thank you

As others have opined, 7.4% is very high and a big chunk of your repayments will go towards servicing the interest instead of building equity.
Might be better cost/ benefit for you to wait till you've resided longer and/or saved a bigger deposit so you have access to a wider pool of lenders and more competitive rates.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:51am On Nov 11, 2023
lightofjoy:
Hello my people, please an employment offer of 50k in London, is it ok because I hear people say London is very expensive.

It depends on your personal circumstances e.g. what is the household size and combined household income?

50k for a 29year old with no kids is different to 50k for a family of 4, with 1 or 2 kids in nursery for example.

For a single person or married with no kids then it's decent/quite good. Take home pay will be approx £3k which should cover the main expenses such as rent (approx £1 - 2k or more for a 1/2bed depending on location)
But it also depends on your other outgoings e.g. car expenses, loan repayments etc

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilymond(f): 4:53am On Nov 11, 2023
Schoolhike:

Lots of reasons.

If cv and cover letter are okay and relevant to the job, I think for every 10-20 applications to private companies should at least give you 1 interview.

Civil service should be say like 10 good applications should at least give you 3-5 interviews.

Ok thank you. Please, would you mind taking a look at my CV and cover letter? Can I email you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MindOnMatters00(m): 5:02am On Nov 11, 2023
donshaddow:

Nothing seen. Pls resend

I have sent it again to the email on your profile so pls check if you still use that email, you would see it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 7:55am On Nov 11, 2023
Lilymond:
Good day my brothers and sisters,

Please I hold a spousal visa tier 2, visa will be activated by 25th of this month. My challenge is that I've been applying for jobs for over a month now and have been getting rejection mails. I want to know if there's something I'm not doing well. I hold a master's degree in public Health Education and bachelor's degree in health education. I'm open to corrections and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Nb: thanks for all you do here. It's been helpful.

I will suggest you use chat gpt to build your CV and draft a cover letter. It's very effective. Try it out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Abiola11993: 8:51am On Nov 11, 2023
Hello everyone!
Please, I applied for my son under the Skilled Worker visa within the Uk, which the application was successful but the expiry date is different from mine, the main applicant. My son's expiry date is 16 August 2025 while mine is 05 November 2026. Please how do I rectify it as my son should have the same date as me the main applicant which is 05 November 2026. Thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:53am On Nov 11, 2023
dustydee:

Do you mean an insurance company paid a third party on behalf of an "unisured" driver?

Can't judge him as uninsured, but maybe details provided weren't "absolutely correct" as it were... The company paid claims. I dunno how that was done anyway... But don't wanna be in that position though...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:59am On Nov 11, 2023
Schoolhike:

lol, forget extra care oh,

Cos na jejely I parked my car and still got into accident (right-off), person jam the car while parked.

Fortunately no lies on my records, got all my compensation including courtesy car.

Best not to lie at all, the cost of lying is way over what someone can afford and reputation being damaged, could make one’s name to enter insurance black list, I think cifas included coupled with continuous increase in premiums from subsequent insurance because you now have a responsibility to inform other insurance company that’s you’ve had an insurance canceled in the past.

Just don’t lie,

You're not wrong. However can u let us in on ur monthly premium range...?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:34am On Nov 11, 2023
So, I was bored this morning and was wondering what things can be done with ChatGPT +

I obtained the sponsored list from the official gov.uk website and set up Noteable on ChatGPT. Was able to output City lists and names to notepad so you can just goto their website and apply

If you like soft work like me and need the list of a particular city, let me know

grin

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2023
hustla:
So, I was bored this morning and was wondering what things can be done with ChatGPT +

I obtained the sponsored list from the official gov.uk website and set up Noteable on ChatGPT. Was able to output City lists and names to notepad so you can just goto their website and apply

If you like soft work like me and need the list of a particular city, let me know

grin

Chiefooo 💪

Need for Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley (South Yorkshire)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:25pm On Nov 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Chiefooo 💪

Need for Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley (South Yorkshire)

Your money is £10K per city grin

Sheffield: 401 companies
Rotherham: 103 companies
Doncaster: 126 companies
Barnsley: 76 companies

How will you collect the company names laidis?

I wish I could write a python script to scrap the internet for the URL of these companies (maybe Ill explore this with Uncle GPT later in the evening )

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:58pm On Nov 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

You're not wrong. However can u let us in on ur monthly premium range...?

I pay annually.

Last year 1,000£ for Mazda 3 2009 (1.6l) diesel (0 ncb)

This year 1,150£ for Mercedes C 2011 (1.8l) petrol (1 ncb)

Generally insurance premium has gone up even for people with years of ncb,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2023
Progressivegee:

I will suggest you use chat gpt to build your CV and draft a cover letter. It's very effective. Try it out

Would advise the plus version for optimum performance and results.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:27pm On Nov 11, 2023
Schoolhike:

I pay annually.

Last year 1,000£ for Mazda 3 2009 (1.6l) diesel (0 ncb)

This year 1,150£ for Mercedes C 2011 (1.8l) petrol (1 ncb)

Generally insurance premium has gone up even for people with years of ncb,

I don't know how long you've held your UK license, but £1k for a 1.6 engine is very very reasonable. Thanks for ur response, we'll get there...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2023
hustla:

Your money is £10K per city grin

Sheffield: 401 companies
Rotherham: 103 companies
Doncaster: 126 companies
Barnsley: 76 companies

How will you collect the company names laidis?

I wish I could write a python script to scrap the internet for the URL of these companies (maybe Ill explore this with Uncle GPT later in the evening )

Yes boss, be oppressing with all these coding! I just hated this coding thing since d days of CSE 201 Fortran in UI... Tried learning Python on my own during NYSC, I still drop am 🤦 Could've been making good money too now...

Help me amortize the £10k for 25 years... 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2023
I know it's high but they are the only one that offer to give cos of my status. I'm sceptical in going for it but at the same time; the monthly repayment is just £25 higher than my current rent payment.
So I'm in a dilemma.

dubaiprince:

This one choke o considering u are even putting down 15% and it is only a 2 year fix. I think is high. from my research so far, (I am also looking at viewing properties soon) most fixed rates are currently between high side of 5% and Low side of 6%. Just look at the fine prints as the follow on payments after the initial 2 years might be crazy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dotman23(m): 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2023
Please what does the home office mean with this statement.

If you were lawfully working in the UK in a different job when you made this application for leave to remain, you may work out any contractual notice period for that job.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2023
Thank you for this advice. I will seriously look into it. But the thing is, prices of house keep on going high. About 3 months ago, similar property cost 100k, now the least I'm seeing is 120k. I
was thinking I can remortgage at the end of the fixed 2 years, by then my status would have changed coupled with the fact that my monthly rent is just £25 lesser than the monthly repayment.

Zahra29:

As others have opined, 7.4% is very high and a big chunk of your repayments will go towards servicing the interest instead of building equity.
Might be better cost/ benefit for you to wait till you've resided longer and/or saved a bigger deposit so you have access to a wider pool of lenders and more competitive rates.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2023
That is if your current employer says that you should give a month's notice for termination, you may need to see out the contract before joining ur new employer.
quote author=Dotman23 post=126910729]Please what does the home office mean with this statement.

If you were lawfully working in the UK in a different job when you made this application for leave to remain, you may work out any contractual notice period for that job.[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dubaiprince: 3:18pm On Nov 11, 2023
solveabode:
I know it's high but they are the only one that offer to give cos of my status. I'm sceptical in going for it but at the same time; the monthly repayment is just £25 higher than my current rent payment.
So I'm in a dilemma.

Your point on the repayment being only £25 above your current rent is very valid and gives you comfort over the next 2 years during which I believe you income will have improved and like you said, property prices will keep going up and the market and economy is uncertain at the moment. One of our legends here will say 'rent money is dead money'. The rent I have paid in 3 years in this country so far is £50k+ (money i will never get back) and I have decided something must happen next year. So if your question was if the rate is high, I think it is. If it is a question of will the decision make sense in the long run, I think It most likely will considering you can afford the repayment.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 3:21pm On Nov 11, 2023
Schoolhike:

Would advise the plus version for optimum performance and results.

That's nice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:45pm On Nov 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Yes boss, be oppressing with all these coding! I just hated this coding thing since d days of CSE 201 Fortran in UI... Tried learning Python on my own during NYSC, I still drop am 🤦 Could've been making good money too now...

Its not coding o

Simple plugin for Chat GPT cheesy

Go and learn coding and collect ya money

Do you need the names of the coys?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:47pm On Nov 11, 2023
Hi people, please how do I go round this 3 year UK address issue? I was trying to check my credit score on clear score... Please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2023
hustla:

grin
Baba wayray drop number
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Coding market is saturated 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2023
solveabode:
So I'm in a dilemma.

If they are the only lender offering this then the question is whether you can put up with it for the 2 years and then move to another one. You'll be able to access way more lenders then.

Bear in mind that house prices will likely keep rising (albeit at a slower pace in this economic climate) so waiting till later to buy might end up being a false economy. Also, you'll be building equity instead of paying rent.

BTW, which lender is this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:00pm On Nov 11, 2023
Quick question. “Esusu” and “ajo” gangs how do you guys go around sending the accumulated gatherings to each other in a way to prevent red flags from banks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:04pm On Nov 11, 2023
lavida001:

Coding market is saturated 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣

Exactly. Business Analysis it is for me, it's a low hanging fruit based on banking experience...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2023
ehizario2012:
Hi people, please how do I go round this 3 year UK address issue? I was trying to check my credit score on clear score... Please

Abeg people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2023
hustla:

Its not coding o

Simple plugin for Chat GPT cheesy

Go and learn coding and collect ya money

Do you need the names of the coys?

Yeah chief

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: realking(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.