Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486507 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:00am On Nov 12, 2023
Progressivegee:

Register on experian or totally money, you can check your credit score for free without the 3 years uk address restriction. That's what I use. Got 2 credit card offers on experian. Capital one and Vanquis

535/710, borrowing power<2/10 - totally money

Experian - no records

Seems I have to start building my credit score now... That's the advice I should be asking for, my credit profile now is faint...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:08am On Nov 12, 2023
ehizario2012:

Experian - no records

Seems I have to start building my credit score now... That's the advice I should be asking for, my credit profile now is faint...

Should I start with converting my lebara sim to 12 months rolling contract via direct debit? Or anything better/more practical please... Before I start watching those many YouTube videos on credit score building techniques... Thanks in adv
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 9:09am On Nov 12, 2023
ehizario2012:

Experian - no records

Thats good. You can find how to build your credit score on this thread. It's been discussed extensively here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bns4eva: 9:33am On Nov 12, 2023
tushqueen:
Hi,

When is it cheaper to get insurance quote, long before current one expires or close to when it expires?

Hi, sorry i just saw you have sent me a private mail. I dont have access to the email..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 11:53am On Nov 12, 2023
Thanks for your response. Yes you're right probably I didn't compose my thought well. The question is if it worth it.
As for affordability, I can.
dubaiprince:

Your point on the repayment being only £25 above your current rent is very valid and gives you comfort over the next 2 years during which I believe you income will have improved and like you said, property prices will keep going up and the market and economy is uncertain at the moment. One of our legends here will say 'rent money is dead money'. The rent I have paid in 3 years in this country so far is £50k+ (money i will never get back) and I have decided something must happen next year. So if your question was if the rate is high, I think it is. If it is a question of will the decision make sense in the long run, I think It most likely will considering you can afford the repayment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:00pm On Nov 12, 2023
dubaiprince:

Your point on the repayment being only £25 above your current rent is very valid and gives you comfort over the next 2 years during which I believe you income will have improved and like you said, property prices will keep going up and the market and economy is uncertain at the moment. One of our legends here will say 'rent money is dead money'. The rent I have paid in 3 years in this country so far is £50k+ (money i will never get back) and I have decided something must happen next year. So if your question was if the rate is high, I think it is. If it is a question of will the decision make sense in the long run, I think It most likely will considering you can afford the repayment.

Imagine that £50,000, went towards mortgage payments......(plus £15,000 equity gained) .........🤣😂😜

Don't mind me o .......🔥😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 12:06pm On Nov 12, 2023
Thanks.
I can move to another lender after the fixed 2 years. The name is Foundation home loans.
koonbey:

If they are the only lender offering this then the question is whether you can put up with it for the 2 years and then move to another one. You'll be able to access way more lenders then.

Bear in mind that house prices will likely keep rising (albeit at a slower pace in this economic climate) so waiting till later to buy might end up being a false economy. Also, you'll be building equity instead of paying rent.

BTW, which lender is this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2023
solveabode:
Thanks.
I can move to another lender after the fixed 2 years. The name is Foundation home loans.

Halifax will lend with < 2 years residency but for 75% LTV, so if upping your deposit is an option you can explore.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:28pm On Nov 12, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Another one of us or is it one of them ........🤣

Came on a student visa in Jan 2023 ...... Raped within a few months (I bet he would have raped over 20 innocent ladies in Nigeria)........

https://southyorks.police.uk/find-out/news-and-appeals/2023/november-2023/man-jailed-after-raping-a-woman/

true...and the victims there would be too scared to speak out because of the stigma and victim shaming.

Another rape case by another student, this one actually gloated about his actions:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/rape-woman-toilets-fiction-club-28038119.amp

I hope these individuals realise that they will be automatically deported as soon as they are released from prison.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 12:41pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:
Quick question. “Esusu” and “ajo” gangs how do you guys go around sending the accumulated gatherings to each other in a way to prevent red flags from banks.

Regarding Esusu or Ajo, my advice is make Una dey careful. Not everyone get legal status lyk Una or with positive mindset.
Some go into it to just pack all d money and japa go 9ja.
Lastly regarding the transfer, some bank's will definitely put restriction on your account if you try to pay out a huge amount.
You will start explaining of how you get the money and who you are transferring it to .
Gud luck
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 12:53pm On Nov 12, 2023
Bro e no easy. Even the 15% self, gifted deposit dey among. Even Lloyd's Bank lend 1 year residency at 25% deposit.
Estroller:

Halifax will lend with < 2 years residency but for 75% LTV, so if upping your deposit is an option you can explore.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2023
Zahra29:

true...and the victims there would be too scared to speak out because of the stigma and victim shaming.

Another rape case by another student, this one actually gloated about his actions:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/rape-woman-toilets-fiction-club-28038119.amp

I hope these individuals realise that they will be automatically deported as soon as they are released from prison.

The Nigerian crime dynamics is changing, at an alarming rate .......

The police would laugh you out of their station, if you reported a 9ja person was involved in rape......

But report credit card fraud or any financial crimes, a statement would be sought.......😜😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 1:01pm On Nov 12, 2023
Zahra29:

Its important to take note of this section of the case and during the evening the defendant and a woman had been kissing. The woman, who was described as "heavily intoxicated", later went to the toilet and the defendant followed her. In the toilets Oriaku raped the woman in one of the cubicles.

The fact that they were kissing before she went to the toilet gave him the impression that the sex was consensual.

Sex with a girl while drunk is not considered a consensual act and this is something many new immigrants failed to take note of here.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2023
justwise:

Its important to take note of this section of the case and during the evening the defendant and a woman had been kissing. The woman, who was described as "heavily intoxicated", later went to the toilet and the defendant followed her. In the toilets Oriaku raped the woman in one of the cubicles.

The fact that they were kissing before she went to the toilet gave him the impression that the sex was consensual.

[b]Sex with a girl while drunk is not considered a consensual act [/b]and this is something many new immigrants failed to take note of here.

Well said. Rape is rape, there are no tiers to rape based on if the woman was drunk, "flirting", wearing a short skirt, or even if she had been kissing the man or had had relations with him previously.

If she said no at the time, or didn't/couldn't give consent, then it's rape. Regardless of her age.

And the reality is the law tends to come down more heavily on the side of a white woman against a black man/immigrant, so extra caution is key.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dubaiprince: 2:30pm On Nov 12, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Imagine that £50,000, went towards mortgage payments......(plus £15,000 equity gained) .........🤣😂😜

My oga let me mind you o. 2025 will not pass me by. The LISA wey Rishi don help me keep sef don do. Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2023
Zahra29:

Well said. Rape is rape, there are no tiers to rape based on if the woman was drunk, "flirting", wearing a short skirt, or even if she had been kissing the man or had had relations with him previously.

If she said no at the time, or didn't/couldn't give consent, then it's rape. Regardless of her age.

And the reality is the law tends to come down more heavily on the side of a white woman against a black man/immigrant, so extra caution is key.

That is sad but you are absolutely right
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2023
Lexusgs430:

What’s the name you call rent again?

Guys let’s come together and talk about this rent thing. I have paid over 10k on rent for a single room and each time I think about it it gets me very mad.

How do we break free cos I can’t continue paying this money monthly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jblastz: 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

That is sad but you are absolutely right
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jblastz: 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:

Guys let’s come together and talk about this rent thing. I have paid over 10k on rent for a single room and each time I think about it it gets me very mad.

How do we break free cos I can’t continue paying this money monthly.

I want to know too. Though I'm talking here for the 1st time but I have been following this page for 2 years.
I'm on this same rent table as you are. How can we break free?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2023
Zahra29:

In summary don’t sleep with a woman who has been drinking. Even if you want to make sure you record it when she gave the consent either through Voice note or video.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jblastz: 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:

In summary don’t sleep with a woman who has been drinking. Even if you want to make sure you record it when she gave the consent either through Voice note or video.

Consent from a drunk is no consent

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:35pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:

Guys let’s come together and talk about this rent thing[b]. I have paid over 10k on rent for a single room and each time I think about it it gets me very mad.

How do we break free cos I can’t continue paying this money monthly

Lol why are you mad? Isn't your rent providing you a place to live and a base from which to work/study? Isn't paying rent a normal occurrence in nigeria, and very high rents at that in cities like Lagos and Abuja?

While it should remain a firm aspiration to own one's home in the UK, renting until you get there is perfectly normal and part of the process/journey for millions. It takes time to build up a deposit, excellent credit rating and other factors, so don't feel pressured into buying a house (the biggest purchase most people will ever make) in a short time after moving to the UK.

It's similar to how people jumped onto the bandwagon of trying to acquire one or several credit cards within a couple of months of arriving the UK, some without the basic understanding of how credit works and many damaging their credit file in the process.

Some things take time and in the meantime work hard, save hard and acquire the relevant knowledge.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 5:37pm On Nov 12, 2023
1. Credit Ladder sign up using my referral https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL) ...its free and one of the quickest ways to get yourself on credit score sheet

ehizario2012:

Experian - no records

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 5:40pm On Nov 12, 2023
Zahra29:

Lol why are you mad? Isn't your rent providing you a place to live and a base from which to work/study? Isn't paying rent a normal occurrence in nigeria, and very high rents at that in cities like Lagos and Abuja?

While it should remain a firm aspiration to own one's home in the UK, renting until you get there is perfectly normal and part of the process/journey for millions. It takes time to build up a deposit, excellent credit rating and other factors, so don't feel pressured into buying a house (the biggest purchase most people will ever make) in a short time after moving to the UK.

It's similar to how people jumped onto the bandwagon of trying to acquire one or several credit cards within a couple of months of arriving the UK, some without the basic understanding of how credit works and many damaging their credit file in the process.

Some things take time and in the meantime work hard, save hard and acquire the relevant knowledge.

Everything just hard for this Uk.

Work hard, pray hard, study hard.

God abeg
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:

Are you saying they won’t question individual transfers?
Depending on the amount, solicitors may question it if you want to get a mortgage. But there is no problem, just prove the source, you can get bank statement and explanation from the sender(s) I believe.

They usually ask for 6 months statement so you may be safe if the transaction is over 6 months.

In my case, they demanded an explanation for a £1,250 credit in my account that took place in July.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:59pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:

Everything just hard for this Uk.

Work hard, pray hard, study hard.

God abeg

cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 7:02pm On Nov 12, 2023
justwise:

Sex with a girl while drunk is not considered a consensual act and this is something many new immigrants failed to take note of here.
Actually I'd say they know fully well it's rape.

One of the clear and prevalent evidence for rape in Nigeria is getting the victims HIGH or
unable to resist whether using drugs or drink. They know fully well whether in the UK or Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 7:03pm On Nov 12, 2023
hustla:

cheesy grin

I still dey wait for your number agba chat gpt
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2023
Lexusgs430:

By now, e for fit remortgage, collect the 75k use as deposit or even complete purchase of another BMV house. Upgrade the BMV house use as short let apartment dey collect £40 - £50/night.

Na just say person no fit stay under bridge as e enter this country so no too think am before imagination kee person 😀

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
lavida001:

I still dey wait for your number agba chat gpt

Costs £40K

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 7:39pm On Nov 12, 2023
Zahra29:

Thank you for this,

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:49pm On Nov 12, 2023
Viruses:

By now, e for fit remortgage, collect the 75k use as deposit or even complete purchase of another BMV house. Upgrade the BMV house use as short let apartment dey collect £40 - £50/night.

Na just say person no fit stay under bridge as e enter this country so no too think am before imagination kee person 😀

It's not to put anyone under pressure......... But simply, something that people MUST be thinking about .......

Why continually pay your landlord's mortgage..... RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY......😁😂

Someone phoned me month's ago,..... He has been renting for over 3 year's, rent was £1500 pcm .......

He saw a letter from his landlord's mortgage company....

LL's mortgage pcm was £375.00 ...... If you fancy sponsoring your LL's holiday's, paying for his PCP vehicle etc etc ....... Keep paying rent ........🤣😁

Don't build a house in Nigeria, whilst been a tenant in the UK ......😂😜

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: wonlasewonimi and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.