Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,634 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Should I Renovate Our Family House? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Renovate Our Family House? (24764 Views)

Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? / Family House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Renovate Our Family House? by JungleJustice01: 10:56pm On May 19, 2023
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Ahmed0336(m): 11:11pm On May 19, 2023
I think you should discuss this with your brother in the presence of your wife and a lawyer.
Let your agreement be documented and signed by all parties involved.

I believe with this, you'd have peace of mind.

316 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Klass99(f): 11:22pm On May 19, 2023

135 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by JeffreyJunior: 11:27pm On May 19, 2023
Ahmed0336:
I think you should discuss this with your brother in the presence of your wife and a lawyer.

Agreement? Lawyer kwa, just to renovate a family house?

There's nothing I won't read in this place.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by mariahAngel(f): 11:34pm On May 19, 2023
Who knows your brother better than you?
So, why are you asking strangers what you should and already know?

If you plan to renovate the house, just so your children can inherit it in future, it is better you don't.
Besides, why should the funds come from you alone?
Have you discussed it with your brother?
Discuss it with him if you haven't.

The house is for you and your brother.
Your children can only inherit your own share of the house.

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by mariahAngel(f): 11:40pm On May 19, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

It appears it could be deeper than that, going by the below part of op's post.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely.

The question is why does he want to fund it all by himself, when he could just discuss with his brother, since that one has been collecting the rents and keeping them to himself.

Modified: This explains it all.

Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by sisisioge: 12:18am On May 20, 2023
Hmmmm...why not discuss with your brother and make whatever outcome legal. As in get a lawyer to help ratify whatever you guys decide.

Abi, kukuma share the house. Let everybody know their own and renovate yours.

Or pool resources to renovate everything.

We have read how siblings were going to commit murder because of a room and parlour selfcon before o.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:24am On May 20, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?

its a clear cut for me

You brother is the one benefiting, since he the one living from it he should cut some of the money he is getting and put towards renovating and can you top up

Look at this the house is like a cow for it to be able to produce milk it has to be looked after very well, his include buying feedin supplements for the cow for it to produce more milk, the milk is the money

If there are no good grazing areas and supplements no milk will be produced, aka bad looking house or rooms result in less rent to charge

its not rocket science

6 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Kobojunkie: 3:53am On May 20, 2023
JungleJustice01:
■ Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother. Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town. My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property? I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation. What do I do?
You already have the solution so why are you hesitating? Call your brother and let him know what your intention is. Agree on a plan on who funds the renovation and how the money will be recouped by each. Document and get it notarized, with a lawyer if possible. Keep receipts and whatever else you get your hands on as evidence of renovation and cost, and make sure you give him a copy(keep the original). And so on and so forth. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Mindlog: 3:55am On May 20, 2023
To avoid issues between your children, him and his children in the future.....it is better to sell off the property and have the proceeds shared and let each invest their share in what they deem fit. If you choose to invest in properties with it, it will solely be in your own name and your children will not have to drag what you left behind for them with their uncle (your younger brother) and his children as the property is not tied to your late parents.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by JungleJustice01: 7:55am On May 20, 2023
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

13 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Acidosis(m): 8:11am On May 20, 2023
Ahmed0336:

Some of you really know how to give impracticable advice. Have you ever involved a lawyer in a matter that involves you and your younger brother?

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Acidosis(m): 8:16am On May 20, 2023
JungleJustice01:

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

Building a home for yourself is more important. You can suspend, postpone, or do a minor renovation if that would allow you focus on yours.

The legal and all those related stuff would not work unless you're ready to destroy your relationship with your brother.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by JungleJustice01: 8:40am On May 20, 2023
Acidosis:

Building a home for yourself is more important. You can suspend, postpone, or do a minor renovation if that would allow you focus on yours.

The legal and all those related stuff would not work unless you're ready to destroy your relationship with your brother.
Similar to my line of thought as well.

Thanks

12 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by frozen70(f): 9:05am On May 20, 2023
JungleJustice01:

Similar to my line of thought as well.

Thanks
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

You have a good plan but however, you have to be careful with the way you want to go about it with out a legal backing

If am the one, I will seat my younger brother down and let him know my plans

Then remind him that he has been collecting rents and you don't normally ask him about the money that comes out of it

Tell him that you want to renovate the house and give it a face lift to generate more incomes for both of you

In this case, you will both meet a lawyer who will draft it with his letter headed paper for an agreement that after all the renovation and it's now having a befitting look for rentals,
You both will divide whatever money that comes into from the rent

So it's now left for you to divide it into two and take half or divide it into three and take two portions because you are the one that sponsored it and untill after you recover the money spent from the renovation then before you will now be sharing it into two equal parts for both of you

If he agrees, get it documented with a lawyer and on a written paper signed by both of you and sealed with the lawyer stamp and sealed with a sticker by the lawyer

Then take the same documents to court precisely state court and both of you can swore an affidavit to back it up with your passport pictures on it

All these is because of the children you guys will have and your wife's too so that non one will claim sole ownership of th I inherited property

As that goes on put down every expensis and back it with receipt and write every expensis down in a book always invite him to go through your reports and if possible take pictures with him as before, during and after the face lift print those pictures out as evidence , after the completion of the project, type out all you have writen and let him sign that he is aware of the said expenses and he was a witness to it
With this, you will not have any issues in future and if issues comes up

You have documented proves and enough evidence

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Ahmed0336(m): 9:06am On May 20, 2023
Acidosis:

Some of you really know how to give impracticable advice. Have you ever involved a lawyer in a matter that involves you and your younger brother?

I am talking from experience. Most people will look humble when you're alive, but when you're no more most stories would change.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by pocohantas(f): 9:17am On May 20, 2023
JungleJustice01:

If you are renovating, you have to renovate everything.

However, house renovation doesn't come cheap no matter how cosmetic you want it to be. I like to think there is a set that finds that kinda property appealling/affordable for now and most tenants there are old/long term. If you renovate, you have to give them quit notice and get new tenants that can afford the upgraded rent. This is not an easy process, financially and emotionally.

Yes, you can divide the house. I have seen a building with 3 different landlords. That one was funny because they had different paintings and windows. Lol

I will suggest you focus on yourself for now. The person collecting rent should find a place in his heart to do basic renovations.

If you left an estate account to someone, a car, a whole building and you still give stipends... you have done more than the FG for that person

You can do more, but I need you to know you have done a lot. So get over whatever guilt you are feeling. People like you would be single at 45 while carrying family problems and when you eventually marry, your wife turns an automatic enemy to your family. Stop putting this pressure on yourself.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Foodqueen(f): 9:17am On May 20, 2023
Leave that house and build your own.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Klass99(f): 9:40am On May 20, 2023

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Nobody: 9:44am On May 20, 2023
Have you discussed this with your brother yet? Please talk to him but whatever you do, don't make getting profit your priority because it won't work. It is a family's property, renovate within your means.

Had it been your brother is financially capable it would have been easier to invest in the property.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by breadplanet(f): 12:26pm On May 20, 2023
Acidosis:

This👆

5 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by RightToReject(m): 1:45pm On May 20, 2023
Don't do it without his frank consent, given that you'll not, wittingly or unwittingly, be selfless enough to renovate it without an expectation of becoming a bigger stakeholder on the property on that premise and/or to recoup the money you will spend in general. So, both of you must formally agree in principle on how to raise the capital - you'll indicate to him your readiness to raise it from your purse - the amount to spend, and how and duration to repay the credit afterward.

Understanding - which must stem from mutual frankness, selflessness, and discernment - is all that is needed to get things done under the circumstances.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Godwin4444: 2:59pm On May 20, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

u don’t know anything

One day that brother will marry n story will change

10 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by MasterJayJay: 3:47pm On May 20, 2023
Mindlog:
To avoid issues between your children, him and his children in the future.....it is better to sell off the property and have the proceeds shared and let each invest their share in what they deem fit. If you choose to invest in properties with it, it will solely be in your own name and your children will not have to drag what you left behind for them with their uncle (your younger brother) and his children as the property is not tied to your late parents.
I wanted to reply but saw this. Op, sell that house and share the money with your brother.
I have seen people buy houses and demolish it to build new ones. You don't need to renovate a house before selling, especially if it is a bungalow or 1 story building.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by bukatyne(f): 4:09pm On May 20, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

With additional information you have given, commot eye from that property and build yours.

Your brother should be the one concerned about the renovation.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by mariahAngel(f): 4:13pm On May 20, 2023
MasterJayJay:

I wanted to reply but saw this. Op, sell that house and share the money with your brother.
I have seen people buy houses and demolish it to build new ones. You don't need to renovate a house before selling, especially if it is a bungalow or 1 story building.

The decision to sell the house is not completely up to op.
Their parents knew what they were doing when they left them the inheritance.
The money when shared won't be of much use to his brother.
That house sustains his brother financially, and keeps him from totally depending on op.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by MasterJayJay: 4:36pm On May 20, 2023
mariahAngel:

The decision to sell the house is not completely up to op.
Their parents knew what they were doing when they left them the inheritance.
The money when shared won't be of much use to his brother.
That house sustains his brother financially, and keeps him from totally depending on op.
Who says inheritance can't be sold? Rent and outright sale, which will bring more income? The money from the sales should be enough for the brother to start a new business that can generate a higher income, buy land in another location.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by IkeIgboNiile(m): 5:54pm On May 20, 2023
If you're not the first son,please don't use your money on that house. Go and buy a land and develop it.
A lot of families have been fighting non stop because of innocent decisions like this. Be wise.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Mindlog: 6:11pm On May 20, 2023
IkeIgboNiile:
If you're not the first son,please don't use your money on that house. Go and buy a land and develop it.
A lot of families have been fighting non stop because of innocent decisions like this. Be wise.

Even if he is the first son, he can't chance his younger brother out of his own share of the inheritance as they both own it. This is not their village home but a rental property in an urban area.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by eyinjuege: 6:28pm On May 20, 2023
Use the rent to fix the house.
Why should he be collecting th3 rent and not fix his source of income?
If you don't fix things ASAP, it will only keep deteriorating

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by JungleJustice01: 11:15pm On May 20, 2023
My appreciation to everyone who took time out to give some advice.

As advised, I'd just leave the house as is and do minimum maintenance to keep it standing. I don't have any grudge with my brother and I do hope that someday, he becomes financially successful as well.

I believe it's better I focus on other personal ventures at this point.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by mrblessed(m): 5:05am On May 21, 2023
Thank you for letting us know about this development in your family.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Are You A Happily Married Man? Family Section Needs You / That Childish Act You Still Engage In As An Adult / Why I Cheated On My Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.