Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,188 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Should I Renovate Our Family House? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Renovate Our Family House? (24816 Views)

Bride Cancels Wedding In Vom, Jos Over Groom’s Refusal To Leave Family House / Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by kingphilip(m): 1:21pm On May 21, 2023
Waffarianman:
Just share the properties and renovate yours. This brother things my hand no de... What am facing here if you're in my position you'll be admitted in any hospital around you everyday
We will like to read your story and learn as well.

Kindly tag me when you put it up.

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by sorepco(m): 1:23pm On May 21, 2023
God don butter ur bread. Fix the whole house since you are more buoyant. Then share it equally. Put boteholebin both..fix the roofs...have your nepa metre...and so forth...

JungleJustice01:
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by AbuAeesha: 1:23pm On May 21, 2023
Oga,
1.Let everyone know his own inherited portion of the property(in presence of witnesses).
2. You can still renovate the whole property out of generosity and kindness
3. Let everyone be entitled to proceeds of his own portion
4. Out of generosity you can still direct your own proceed to your brother. but you know what is yours.
5. This also solves your fear, probably after your demise,your family knows what is yours from the property.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by mylove4God(f): 1:29pm On May 21, 2023
I will suggest, you first of all build a personal one for yourself and family. If after that and you still have enough, you can discuss with your brother about the renovation. Then renovate but make sure he contribute the little he has. So that he will not one day take it for granted.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Harddiskng(m): 1:30pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
Agreement? Lawyer kwa, just to renovate a family house?

There's nothing I won't read in this place.

You don’t know anything, Na person wey never see problem dey use Queen’s English dey pray

He gave the soundest advice, anything involving money between me and any family member is always well documented and signed.

Nobody can kill you faster than a member of your family if you lose guard.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by HeroicMeastro: 1:30pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?
Renovate it, God will bless you regardless...
Even after you've passed away.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by altteemy: 1:30pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01: ...

I recommend one of you buying the other out.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by GistFullGround: 1:31pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?

Go build your own, even building in the village is better than renovation abi dont you have kids or plan to have?

This is your life, live it well!
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Efewestern: 1:33pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

Gooday sir, I will advise you be careful with the words you receive here. You stated that your brother is SS. He is also working but the pay is barely enough to meet his needs. Towing some paths might not only hurt him but snatch him away from you. He's all you have got now.

I would advise you purchase your personal land, then spread the house renovation into phases. Maybe 3 years plan after you might have gotten your own personal landed property.

You can start with the roofing. Then followed by windows fixing and tilling. I don't know about your tribe, but since you are the eldest, you ought to have the lions share.

How many flats are we talking about?

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Dancebreaker: 1:33pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
My appreciation to everyone who took time out to give some advice.

As advised, I'd just leave the house as is and do minimum maintenance to keep it standing. I don't have any grudge with my brother and I do hope that someday, he becomes financially successful as well.

I believe it's better I focus on other personal ventures at this point.
This is where culture and tradition play a big role. No elders in your family? No olori ebi, okaegbe or whatever equivalent is head of your family in your tribe?

In my culture, if the house was your family homestead, where your father primarily lived in his lifetime and probably raised you all or the only house he built by himself anywhere, by right it belongs to the first son. In the same way the family relied on you to lead your father's funeral rites, (whether traditional or of Middle Eastern religion) when he exited. You decide what privilege to give your junior brother to use the house. Most tribes have clear cut traditional answers to these things.

It is your responsibility to keep the house in good nick. Anything you don't repair well now will cost even more a few years later.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by HarunaWest(m): 1:34pm On May 21, 2023
Ahmed0336:
I think you should discuss this with your brother in the presence of your wife and a lawyer.
Let your agreement be documented and signed by all parties involved.

I believe with this, you'd have peace of mind.
Which on is in presence of his wife. Does the house belong to his inlaw Oga?
There is a family head in his family, that is the person that should be in that meeting and not his wife. Naso una go dey arrogate power to woman on top nothing.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Snowx: 1:37pm On May 21, 2023
Ahmed0336:
I think you should discuss this with your brother in the presence of your wife and a lawyer.
Let your agreement be documented and signed by all parties involved.

I believe with this, you'd have peace of mind.

Listen to this advice bro
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ojun50(m): 1:49pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?
Renovate the house, then divide into two and share with your brother. He collect his rent you collect yours. With time you prepare a will for yr children. Let this be discuss and be agreed by both parties.

A friend of my did this, infact they are boths and girls
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by greggng: 1:51pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

Let me tell you how I solved my own property .
.both of you have to sit down and discuss the sale of thst property .You can now save your share from.it for your kids . There is no problem renovating it to enhance the value . The cost can be removed after the sale.

This is the only advice that will give you peace of mind. The alternative is renovating it and willing it to your younger brother ...in this case you have no share from.it anymore ...

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by sonssyo: 1:51pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

Build your house ,but you can fix the house to an extent,give proper notice to the tenants,renovate the house and collect new tenant and the money they paid this year, you can decide to give your brother some.
However after this,just divide the house into two,it can also be considered during renovation, but you need to tell your brother your plan another house.
Then after,just start your own house different from this one.
Family stuffs, don't usually end well sha,hope you will be applying wisdom always!

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by nato20ng(m): 1:51pm On May 21, 2023
PLEASE DO NOT. YOU WILL REGRET IT.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by 00FFT00(m): 1:51pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

Since he is younger, therefore needs to grow, why don't you buy him out?. That way, he will have funds to pursue a life for himself and grow.
If you go that route, have everything properly witnessed and legally documented.

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by emerged01(m): 1:52pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?
Oga go build your own house. Let your brother you use money from rent to facelift the house.
Family can be funny o.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by IamtheTruth1(m): 1:58pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

You have a good heart. From all I read here. Some brothers no send man. Go ahead and retrofit the house. The Universe will provide more for you.

Sit yourbro down and tell him about ur plans also. His idea might be the best.

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by gidjah(m): 1:59pm On May 21, 2023
I am of the opinion here op , that you should quicken you younger brother,if after the cars, funds and the house for rent , you still support him, then you and your family have successfully turned him into an idol and a less useful one at that.Does his been an SS carrier make Him lazy and sloughtful ??he is a man right ,how far do you guys want him to continue with this line "last child, with an SS" ?? Pls wake him up, charge him up and challenge him, let him begin to face reality sir .Draw a serious line for him, ,stop giving him extra allowance, let him venture into successful business ,etc.HE HAS TO WAKE UP

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Owaincouncil: 2:03pm On May 21, 2023
Our family house or your family house.
Correct that first before I comment.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by EasternPrince: 2:03pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

The worst enemy you'll ever have is your blood fighting with you over land or a house.

You won't believe when the death threats start coming. You won't guard yourself well and when you'll be harmed or killed
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by obalola007(m): 2:09pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town

What do I do?

OP, For legacy sake I’ll suggest you do minor renovations in the house because you and your brother will surely have misunderstandings when you both married. Business wise and your children sake, go and buy your own property. Nothing pass my own thing. Our property Dey always bring problems last last…

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by LordErrk: 2:13pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

You guys won't read post before commenting
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Afokesco(m): 2:13pm On May 21, 2023
you should have start sharing the pay long time ago...you need to make it 60/40 when you die....your children go get some money from the house rent...just start it now....it's not late though..... don't be surprised if your brother change in the future when you are no more
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by InvertedHammer: 2:18pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?
/

If your brother is collecting rent, why can't he renovate it? You are simply complicating a simple problem.

How much do you think the dilapidated building will be worth by the time your children inherit it(if at all)? Build your own house.

/
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Popeonah(m): 2:19pm On May 21, 2023
But why you dey ask us. Are we living in your house
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by crackhouse(m): 2:23pm On May 21, 2023
Renovate if u are the first son. No need to worry about that but if u are not, then u are on your own.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by tolor: 2:25pm On May 21, 2023
Your brother is SS. It may sound somehow but there is a high chance that you may outlive him. There is a reason why you left the properties for him in the first place.

If renovating it will cost nothing to you then do it. Under normal circumstances you can do differently for the sake of posterity.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Smartguyboy(m): 2:32pm On May 21, 2023
You have to put it in agreement with your brother that all if you guys have an understanding or share to property.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by SavageResponse(m): 2:36pm On May 21, 2023
MasterJayJay:

Who says inheritance can't be sold? Rent and outright sale, which will bring more income? The money from the sales should be enough for the brother to start a new business that can generate a higher income, buy land in another location.

Selling the house will only be a good idea if the brother is a reasonable person.

If he is a good for nothing loafer he can easily blow his own share of the sales proceeds on alcohol and women then become a burden on his older brother!
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by jaxxy(m): 2:37pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

Whatever u do, do not start investment on that property without a proper family meeting or discussion with ur brother. Layout the issue and what u suggest to avoid confusion or issues in future by either both of or ur children.

Everybody necessary has to be part of this discussion and a family lawyer if possible. if all in agreement then u can proceed and if not pls go and build ur own house elsewhere or ask for a division of the family house so u can renovate urs. Simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Catching The Bouquet At A Wedding- Myth Or Fact? / Why Are Fathers Overprotective Of Their daughters? / Women Are Their Worst Enemies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.