Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:50 AM

Should I Renovate Our Family House? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Renovate Our Family House? (25437 Views)

Bride Cancels Wedding In Vom, Jos Over Groom’s Refusal To Leave Family House / Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by STINEKPROJECTS1: 4:16pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?
discuss with your brother and you both should reach an agreement. Check my profile to see the renovation we just completed. We are always at your service
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by STINEKPROJECTS1: 4:20pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

the house can be divided in form of a semi detached house. Then it’ll be help you both to know each other’s boundary after renovation.check my profile to see the renovation we just completed
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by basadenet: 4:24pm On May 21, 2023
I will advise you not try it if don't want to die untimely. Or better still, get an independent person to do the renovation and recoup his money back via collection of house rent until money spent is liquidated.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Waffarianman(m): 4:26pm On May 21, 2023
kingphilip:

We will like to read your story and learn as well.

Kindly tag me when you put it up.

Bro the story long i just thank God for applying wisdom for everything till now... Don't worry I'll put a story here soon for everyone to learn from blood brothers properties things
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by SeriouslySense(m): 4:26pm On May 21, 2023
If you ask me, i will advise you to make repairs in the house, care for it, if you love your family (younger brother), but build your personal house.

We are dull and not creative, always like fighting and quarrels, we cannot do things in order and with respect and kindness.

Black people get Jealous easily and they find it hard to live in harmony, they are always suspicious of each other and like drama, they lack love for their fellows.

So care for the house, but in your mind leave it for your younger brother, while you build your own.

If i were you i would build my house, but i will also care for the family house and leave it for the younger one, i don't have time for black people childish ways grin grin grin

look at what this country is becoming and then look at that country they call Haiti
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Nyceguy92: 4:35pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

Seeing you have many responses to read here, I will be brief and straight to the point.

Discuss with your brother the need to renovate house, the cost, financing, and how to recoup expenses.

If you foot the bill alone, fairness requires that you benefit from the rent thereafter until such a time you decide to stop. If you are concerned he will feel bad about this, tell him you are going to get a loan, which needs paying back.

I see you are concerned about your wife and kids having access hereafter. In the absence of a will, house belongs to you and your brother. Impress this fact on your brother.

As you don't want to involve a lawyer or paperwork, discuss above with your brother in the presence of your wife. Make an audio recording of the meeting with the knowledge of your brother.

After renovation, divide the property between the two of you. It's fair and just.

It appears all the cars, rent, and the little your brother makes from his job is not enough for him that you continue to support as you said. Is he extravagant?

I understand the implications of being an SS. I also assume he is single as you didn't mention his marital status.

On the whole, my understanding is that you do not want your brother to feel offended when you confront him with the problems you have seen.
Question is; If this between two other brothers, hiw would you advise?

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by AdaojoTheUrchin: 4:43pm On May 21, 2023
Ahmed0336:
I think you should discuss this with your brother in the presence of your wife and a lawyer.
Let your agreement be documented and signed by all parties involved.

I believe with this, you'd have peace of mind.

You must be from a polygamous family. Na dem they involve lawyer for family discussion..
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by jgbemson1: 4:48pm On May 21, 2023
Please divide the land into two ...

Take one part n ur brother take the other part.

Once this is done u can now renovate ur part n start collecting ur rent
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by achimendy(m): 4:51pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
Agreement? Lawyer kwa, just to renovate a family house?

There's nothing I won't read in this place.

I think it's right, he's doing it to avoid future problem between him and his younger brother, or with their children.

But I think the best idea is to discuss with the younger brother about renovating it. But after renovating it, make sure he divide the house between both of them
and start collecting his part of the rent too, while the brother have his own too. So their children wont have issues in the future.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ZombiePUNISHER: 4:52pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

You are so dumb..

Go back and read what the guy's asking
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Blitzking: 4:56pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?
Talk to your brothers say u want to renovate but you would collect your money back..but remove it from your mind that it is an investment for you..
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ultimateprof: 5:05pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

You just come online and bastardized our tradition with those who knows nothing with omenala. If you lack wisdom, go to your kingsmen!
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Edoziesmart(m): 5:10pm On May 21, 2023
kareemkamil:
What nonsense question, can u renovate ur family house, leave ham make e collapse. OmoAle omo.
Are you finding it difficult to read and comprehend?
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by pekisdgee(m): 5:12pm On May 21, 2023
Follow your heart... your heart is your best teacher... wishing you good luck... we all come to this world with nothing we go with nothing.... if you are capable of renovating the house do IT! More money will surely come... God will give you wisdom and the right direction.

JungleJustice01:

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by SeriouslySense(m): 5:33pm On May 21, 2023
Test your Younger brother by leaving the house for him, but care for it and renovate it, make sure he is also enjoying the house, i see that he has SS.

Over time, gauge the attitude of your family to see, if they are kind and reasonable, so you know their true character, but you have to build your house, just to have a certain level of peace of mind.

In your mind, you have already left that house for him

Don't tell him, that you have left the house for him yet, Just see what he might suggest himself, for instance, if you talk about renovating.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Nnamaka1: 6:04pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

Well why don't you just call your brother and you guys sit down and discuss the situation and also make and reach agreement on sharing equally the proceeds that come from the property. It's very simple. That way everyone knows what's up

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by greglee(m): 6:17pm On May 21, 2023
Ahmed0336:
I think you should discuss this with your brother in the presence of your wife and a lawyer.
Let your agreement be documented and signed by all parties involved.

I believe with this, you'd have peace of mind.
Spot on
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by President2001(m): 6:21pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?
Don't start what you can't finish
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by dannykares: 6:29pm On May 21, 2023
Ma brother Yu better do the right thing now n don't think if Yu pass away your brother will likely give your children any portion , for now you av giving fully control wit tomorrow gonna be war btw Yu n him or yur family n them
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by GabrielYulaw(m): 6:48pm On May 21, 2023
@OP, kindly pardon my ignorance, but is SS so expensive to manage? I know a lot of poor people with it and they are relatively thriving.

Now, something seems to be very wrong with your bro. You left him your parent's funds, cars and house, and let him collect rent on the family house, but you are saying he's broke and poor. What did he use all the funds to do? This no make sense at all cos he suppose be balling. He invest all his funds in MMM?
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by HaneefahRN(f): 7:28pm On May 21, 2023
You are doing the renovation for your brother to benefit, know this and know peace. Since you leave all the rent to him, it makes sense for whatever money that comes from that to be used in fixing it. Unless you plan on starting to take a share of rent too after the renovation which you need to discuss and make clear to your brother and have a clear cut sharing formula for it ,cos he might think you have dashed him your share of your inheritance.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by rickleye: 7:38pm On May 21, 2023
If your brother or step brother . ( I my sounds like a case I’ve read here before ) . In any case if your younger brother who collects rent didn’t leave some aside for maintenance. Shi Shi you won’t see if you invest in it !
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by galantjoe(m): 7:48pm On May 21, 2023
You need to discuss with your brother on the cost of renovation. I think you people should have agreement where you people will share the property into.

Renovate the house and recoup your bills before rent sharing take effect
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by maasoap(m): 8:31pm On May 21, 2023
Acidosis:

Some of you really know how to give impracticable advice. Have you ever involved a lawyer in a matter that involves you and your younger brother?

That's because you haven't understood what Op is saying, his fear as far as the future is concerned.
Any oral agreement may be rendered null and void by "uncle" if Op is no more. Will you be there to help?
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Dshocker(m): 8:51pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

If the house was left for the both of you, i would advise you both should hold a meeting and agree to sell and the sharing ratio.

Why i said so is this; once the both of you get married the house must and will cause serious family rift between you both.

And please i don't care or want to know how peaceful and understanding you both are, but what i can tell you from experience; probably in 20yrs time, quarrel go dey(100%) sure of what i am saying.

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by MasterTeeUSA: 9:17pm On May 21, 2023
if the house can survive few years, buy your own Land and focus on yours. Your brother knows he can renovate with the rent and get higher rent. He doesn't care..If the house will not survive that long, then do the renovation for your parents without thinking of recouping cos you left it to him all along and he might you are trying to take it over...humans can be evil when they sense a threat. A word is enough for the wise

JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Gbenguz11: 9:32pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:

you’re just a mumu man
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by dapotemi: 9:58pm On May 21, 2023
Acidosis:

Some of you really know how to give impracticable advice. Have you ever involved a lawyer in a matter that involves you and your younger brother?

LMAO, as in ehn, Nigerians like dishing what they can't eat.. you and your junior brother, then you bring a lawyer, like FALANA or OZEHKHOME..Na wa o.
Yoruba call it omo iya awusa.
I am funding one of my junior bro tertiary education and I told him he's going to refund me. It's so expensive because of the location and it's taking about 55% of my annual salary, am basically working for him, so heavy on me and am making huge sacrifice and I ALREADY have it in mind that if he started working and he made the refund, fine and well and if he doesn't, well and good.
There is something they call FAMILY , comes with a lot of sacrifice and if you are the ELDER one, that also comes with even bigger SACRIFICE.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by coputa(m): 11:16pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

R
What is even wrong in renovating a family house when you have the means, is it not a lifetime investment to the entire family.Does it stops you from building your own in future.

Since you have the fund, just do it without any string attached, considering your brothers condition.

Do not involve any lawyer or writing any agreement,this might generate distrust and animosity among you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by obama99: 4:15am On May 22, 2023
Get a lawyer to make a honest and sincere sharing of the property in the presence of family members to avoid issues in the future. Explain to your brother reasons why it has to go that way . Renovate everything now and tell him hence he will be soley responsible for the renovation.

Put a clause on the will that no one should sell the property but should be leased or rented out to avoid suspicion.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Tranquility2345: 6:12am On May 22, 2023
JungleJustice01:

You are a slow poke. You said your brother is an SS with a bad job and you cannot fix the house for him? Another Tales by Moonlight story spotted. Lazy youth like you m. You better go and get busy and stop writing imaginary stories..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jaaruma Addresses Money, Power, Sex, Love, Magic, Jazz, Juju, Asiri, Domination / Share The Most Hilarious Questions Your Child Has Ever Asked U. / As A Married Man, Do You Sometimes Dream Of Leaving Your Family & Disappearing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.