Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,850 members, 7,824,537 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Should I Renovate Our Family House? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Renovate Our Family House? (24820 Views)

Bride Cancels Wedding In Vom, Jos Over Groom’s Refusal To Leave Family House / Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Plasmolysis78(m): 2:38pm On May 21, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
Agreement? Lawyer kwa, just to renovate a family house?

There's nothing I won't read in this place.

Did u just say "just to renovate a family house"
If so why did u come here to disturb us?
You're scared that you'd die and ur kids cannot lay claim to the building, is the building for your kids or you and ur kid bro? Thats your house by inheritance. Go and build for own children pls. Your kids can never have access to the property even when u die considering that your kid bro is alive
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by TreasureJunky: 2:39pm On May 21, 2023
If you have money and can do it, please buy your own land and build your own house on it.
Landed properties have a way of causing troubles between brothers, especially if death happens.
Both of you may go to court and reach an agreement now, and both parties are happy with the agreement, but the future might hold something contrary. The issue may come from the wives you guys will marry, the wives wanting their husbands to go their separate ways and manage their their own properties.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by do4luv14(m): 2:42pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS.

For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore.

I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise.

I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?

I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.

You don't do well leaving the rents for him since,

Solution

Renovate the House, then share it, Let him understand you had a good reason for sharing it,

Then start making plans to build your own house asap, ( it makes no sense, having a property, and renting another) Make sure it's a residential building where you can collect rents,

You can build it as mini flats, or 3bedroom flats, Stay in one and let out for rent the others,

My 2cent6
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Sammy5413(m): 2:50pm On May 21, 2023
Pls allow the roof to fall on your parents because you're yet to build urs
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by slowice(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
The house belongs to the both of you. He's also your beloved brother, sit down with the man and tell him about your plans.

If he agrees on the renovation plan, you share the property legally but renovate all..... Because blood na blood grin
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Stjims: 3:06pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?

If you can afford the renovation go ahead. Your children will take care of themselves.
Renovation of family house is not for personal gain but whoever can afford it. Your parent are no more who else do you think will do that for you?
The earlier the better besides you can still do something with a better rents in future.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by lomprico(m): 3:07pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

Now the house is deteriorating and I want to fix it, like give it a major facelift but the funds will be coming from me entirely. I don't have a personal house of mine but I believe an overhaul of this place can give leverage to increase the rent as it is in a good part of town.

My fear is after this investment, will I be able to recoup any funds? If I am to pass away, will my kids have any access to the property?

I love my brother but I've heard and read stories of human behavior especially in situations where there is no documentation.

What do I do?

Your kids have no right to the house where your brother is still alive
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by BennyDGreat: 3:10pm On May 21, 2023
gidjah:
I am of the opinion here op , that you should quicken you younger brother,if after the cars, funds and the house for rent , you still support him, then you and your family have successfully turned him into an idol and a less useful one at that.Does his been an SS carrier make Him lazy and sloughtful ??he is a man right ,how far do you guys want him to continue with this line "last child, with an SS" ?? Pls wake him up, charge him up and challenge him, let him begin to face reality sir .Draw a serious line for him, ,stop giving him extra allowance, let him venture into successful business ,etc.HE HAS TO WAKE UP

As much I want to agree with you, people who thrive in life as S.S carriers most times have a lot of support from friends and family.

The world is a tough place. Their health isn't advantageous in a tough environment. They do need soft landing otherwise their health could fail them big.

It's only healthy people who can truly wake up bro...no health, no guarantee of waking up
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ObiaboAdoka(m): 3:13pm On May 21, 2023
Renovate the house on no condition cus the house belong to u nd ur brother. U can build a house nd give to ur brother if u av d resources. Don't involve ur wife in this cus women r women.
D house is still standing it won't cost much now but wen the building collapse u r the one who will still build it up.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Mpotomisticai(m): 3:14pm On May 21, 2023
I did that as a first son some years ago and I'm currently regretting it. Never trust the loyalty of a younger brother that is not married. Go build a fresh house if u can. Renovation consumes money

1 Like

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ItsmeF: 3:17pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

My advice to you
You are a good person for allowing all proceeds of the house to your brother. Have a meeting with your brother and tell him it will profit both of you guys if the property is renovated but you need to know if he might have savings from the rent he has been collecting so that you can top it up and renovate the property. If he has savings good and fine but if he doesn't, tell him to start saving up for the project and as soon as he has something reasonable he should inform you. But first of all build your own house before going into this renovation. I know what ss is and it is not funny. When it's time for renovation, you can divide the property and make it 2 compounds even if you still decide he keeps collecting the rent from the entire property post renovation. No need to involve lawyer unless you both decide to divide it.
I wish you all the best

2 Likes

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
My appreciation to everyone who took time out to give some advice. As advised, I'd just leave the house as is and do minimum maintenance to keep it standing. I don't have any grudge with my brother and I do hope that someday, he becomes financially successful as well. I believe it's better I focus on other personal ventures at this point.
I actually think your desire to do better for your brother and yourself is a noble idea and worth doing if you are open to facing risk. The risks can be shored against by making sure you involve a lawyer and handle it all in a legal manner. undecided
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Kobojunkie: 3:19pm On May 21, 2023
Mpotomisticai:
I did that as a first son some years ago and I'm currently regretting it. Never trust the loyalty of a younger brother that is not married. Go build a fresh house if u can. Renovation consumes money
Was there a Lawyer involved to make sure you at least could get your money back? Or are you here to tell us half a tale? undecided
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by abysirius(m): 3:19pm On May 21, 2023
Is it in your village?
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by kazyhm(m): 3:22pm On May 21, 2023
Family feud loading......
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Klass99(f): 3:23pm On May 21, 2023

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
Thanks to everyone for the input. The problem is my brother isn't so well to do financially. His salary is barely enough for him to survive and he's also an SS. For this reason, we have been taking care of him from time past. When parents passed, I gladly left him all the funds, cars and all just to help. I still send him support time and again so it's kind of out of place to sit him down and start discussing legal terms, it'd look more like I'm trying to kick him out from getting anything anymore. I also can't sell the house in it's current state. That will be most unwise business wise. I'm considering dividing the house but is there any reason one half should be good and the other crumbling? How do I share fixing borehole, compound lights, entire roofing, replacing all windows and interlocking the compound?I could easily leave the house in it's state and build mine but that's not a good legacy either.
Discuss with your brother. Get a lawyer involved from start to finish and make sure you are both on the same page throughout the process so it isn't that you hid anything from him while at the same time, it is all done legally. undecided
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by xamodans: 3:26pm On May 21, 2023
Whatever you would like to do there, have it in mind that you are not the owner of the building. It belongs to both you and your sibling/s.

If your brother had the same finance you have perhaps he might do it too..

My advice is that you call him and discuss how both of you will renovate it, let him be part of it. Make a budget for the project..

quote author=JungleJustice01 post=123245798]Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

What do I do?[/quote]
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by dododawa1: 3:29pm On May 21, 2023
2023, is forbidden for putting mouth in family matter for me
Am sorry OP.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by DrAkpamudehe: 3:40pm On May 21, 2023
dododawa1:
2023, is forbidden for putting mouth in family matter for me
Am sorry OP.

Most you type this rubbish? Why not read and pass? Aturu
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Peters1212(m): 3:42pm On May 21, 2023
Oga if you love yourself go and build your own house to avoid story that touches the soul...later u can renovate the house..now that ur still alive I will advise u guys shared the house and it's been documented. I have seen a man who used his personal money to build a house for the parents on their family land today his siblings doesnt allow him live in peace in that house after the both parents died.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Jeezuzpick(m): 3:46pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?

The dude collecting rent since no renovate, na Fada Krismus wey you be wan do am, abi?
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Ofemini(m): 3:49pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:
My appreciation to everyone who took time out to give some advice.

First, let me start by acknowledging your leadership strength and the foresight for your family.
@junglejustice01, please take note of the following:
I believe you are the first born or first male and this requires you to provide quality leadership and calling the shot in the absence of your parents.
I will advise that you renovate the house in honour of your late parents and their legacies.
Posterity has a way of rewarding such actions.
Someday, you will leave kids behind too.

If your parents were to be alive, they will not glad seeing the house deteriorate.

Also, Have a heart to heart talk with your brother as regards the house and tell him of your intentions.
Before renovating the house, have the documents of the house regualrised to reflect joint ownership. As well, agree on the best way to recoup your money from the increase in revenue while still maintaining the status quo of the money your brother makes. That way he will not feel threatened by your input in the house.

Finally, with this open mindedness that you have, your success will be so overwhelming that your kids and wife will have no business seeking to share the proceeds of your parent's house but as an asset of family lineage.
This, I can assure you confidently.

Remember, renovating the house is a moral leadership virtue, in honour of your late parents first above the returns on your investment. Best wishes!
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by DrDunamis(m): 3:50pm On May 21, 2023
JungleJustice01:

What do I do?
Sit-down and speak with your brother and draw up legal documents
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by maik: 3:59pm On May 21, 2023
Use the money to build your own house first before you renovate the family house.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by aliscomonaj: 4:00pm On May 21, 2023
This is really a trap. If your younger brother is the one collecting the rents then let him renovate it himself. Use your money to invest for your children. Build their own property. If you take this for a joke, God forbid the pain will be on your children in the future.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by UYEMDO35(m): 4:04pm On May 21, 2023
Sir! I'm not trying to discourage you but if you are to spend money on the renovation of that family house, there must be a mutual agreement between you and your brother but if u decided to go on without any agreement your brother will kick against you when things are in bad shape for you.
My Dad is a victim of this... My Dad is always busy due to the Nature of his Job. While my father was working outside the state, he sent money to his younger brother to renovate the family house, initially the house use to be mud house so dey broke it down and use block to build it to standard... Is actually 8 bedroom flat and all the money spent on that house came from my Dad but after the completion of the house his younger brother went round boasting to the community that he's the one that built the house with his own hard earn money... So he has made it clear to my father that he can no longer have anything to do with that house again.... All he thought was that maybe after my Dad has retired from his work maybe he would come over and take the house from him but he got it all wrong, my
Dad actually plan to built his own personal house.. But to me I am never going to relent , I will show him that he as taken what is never his.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by dododawa1: 4:05pm On May 21, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

Most you type this rubbish? Why not read and pass? Aturu
not putting mouth in family MATTER,Aturu back.
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by ailenmen: 4:09pm On May 21, 2023
Y can put small money not d whole house,cos there is no way u can recover ur money.and u will be the looser or ur family at the end.
And if u go on,it will bring bad blood between u and ur bro on d long run.
Y not channel that money in ur family personal house and do very little ammed on family house
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Nawttiboi007(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2023
From my observation e be like see sey no be the same mama born you and that ur brother.. probably u were born out of wedlock be4 ur dad got married
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Nawttiboi007(m): 4:13pm On May 21, 2023
From my observation e be like see sey no be the same mama born you and that ur brother.. probably u were born out of wedlock be4 ur dad got married quote author=JungleJustice01 post=123245798]Both parents have passed no will was left. I basically leave the rents collected from the house rent to my only younger brother.

What do I do?[/quote]
Re: Should I Renovate Our Family House? by Clinghton: 4:15pm On May 21, 2023
Is that house they only property your parents left ?

Renovate the house and divide it, get support from your umunna .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Women Are Their Worst Enemies / How Much Respect Can A Woman Who Earns Higher Than Her Husband Give? / Family Of Six Escapes Death In Otedola Bridge Tanker Explosion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.