Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,918 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 (30400 Views)

Supreme Court Dismisses PDP’s Suit Challenging ‘Double Nomination’ Of Shettima / Double Nomination: Speak On Rumoured May 26 Public Holiday - PDP Tells Buhari / Supreme Court Stands Down To Deliver Judgement On Ihedioha’s Review Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by ProphetM0hammad: 7:18am On May 23, 2023
Amah70:

Why did the constitution drafters write; and Abuja, if they saw Abuja as the 37th state?
They would have written just 25% of votes in 2/3 of the number of states. No special mention of Abuja.

All ye APC traducers of Nigeria's Constitution because of Tinubu...

Tinubu couldn't win Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, Rivers, [/b]Katsina[b] states; could not win 25% of votes in Abuja. He wants to preside over Nigeria. How can he?

Even presidential election results Form EC8 from Imo state were scored for Tinubu in Jigawa and other northern states in Inec portal.

So Tinubu didn't win Katsina state?
Wow! Obi really tried for winning Katsina then
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 7:27am On May 23, 2023
Dshocker:

So to you Peter Obi is a poor man?

Before he became governor, he used to be one of the biggest importer in Nigeria.

Major shareholder in 2 banks.

Even at that Atiku, dangote, Arthur Eze, Tinubu,adenuga, Tony E all were still richer than him
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 7:28am On May 23, 2023
edward1106:

Lawyers volunteered for Obi. grin grin

Lawyers were no get level among other SAN
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 7:40am On May 23, 2023
ElectGINeer:
These obidients are funny people.
Do PDP have the locus standi to litigate the issue of double nomination in APC? The obidients would keep hanging their hope on a failed project, instead of think first, you'll see their failed troll lawyers on twitter giving them fake analysis, they'd now lose, they'd claimed that the justice are bribed.
I'm not surprised a bit though, what do you expect from people that buy Biafra dollars with Naira.
Abeg add arise tv
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 7:44am On May 23, 2023
rolams:

Internal party matter Over Nigerian constitution?

Is Atiku not a contestant?

Is Nigerian constitution worthless in this regard?
So Shettima is VP and a senator elect
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 8:02am On May 23, 2023
Dshocker:

Lol, did you ask where he got the money to start importing? 🤣🤣🤣

Peter Obi has been a fucking humble and silent billionaire before you were born.

As of late 80s he has started importing, besides he came from a rich home.

He used to be the number 1 importer of wine in Nigeria, before Bishop Emma Okonkwo took over.

Since he became a politician, nobody has ever sponsor his political career, he has no godfather and not answerable to anyone.
Yet he couldn't fix anambra state

1 Like

Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 8:18am On May 23, 2023
Peacecore:
The constitution through the 2022 electoral acts expanded the power of INEC to an extent such as that of reviewing results announced by duress. Read about it sha and stop thinking that electoral acts is different from the constitution.
the guy quoting u is so emotional so no amount of ur explanation will make him understand
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by garfield1: 8:34am On May 23, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

So, section 84 invalidates section 133(1) where it mentions those who can sue in electoral disputes?

"A candidate in an election" and "a political party which participated in an election" are entitled to bring up a petition.

In English, there's a difference between "in the election" and "in an election".
"An election" is less specific, and can be argued to be the 2022 election generally.

Atiku was a candidate in the 2022 election and PDP as a party participated in the same election.

Section 133 is post election na while the rest are pre election
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 8:39am On May 23, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Which section of the Electoral Act supports your claims?

Quote it here, let's see.

Section 29(5) electoral acts, 2022 as amends; I quote "Any aspirant who participated in the primaries of the political party who has reasonable grounds to believe that any information given by his political party’s candidate in the affidavit or any document submitted but that candidate in relation to his constitutional requirement to contest the election 17 is false, may file a suit at the Federal High Court, against the candidate seeking the information contained in the affidavit is false”. This is a radical departure from the provisions of Section 31(5) of the Electoral Act, 2010 which gives locus standi to challenge any information given by any aspirant in his affidavit or any document to any person and such can be challenged at the Federal High Court, State High Court and High Court of the Federal Capital Territory. Under the new Law, such can only be challenged by an aspirant at the Federal High Court as provided under Section 29 (5) of the Electoral act, 2022. Section 153 of the Electoral Act, 2022 defines an aspirant as “ a person who aspires or seeks or strives to contest an election to a political office."
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 9:19am On May 23, 2023
Amah70:

Don't let the importance of the emphasis on - and Abuja escape you.

The importance is that as the president doubles as the
administrator of the FCT;
the administrator/President must be seen to be welcome to administrater the FCT through a gesture of at least 25% of votes of the electorate in the territory. Whoever successfully administratered a territory that he/she was not welcome?
Hia! So, if a candidate wins all the 36 states and fails in Abuja, he won't be declared a winne? You people are funny walai. Well, it's your own belief. Just wait for court.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 9:22am On May 23, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

Young Man, you're not even conversant with what happened in Bayelsa. It was errors in certificates. The deputy to Lyon used certificates bearing different names. That case is quite different from this. Any party can take up that. There's nothing like new or old electoral law here. Stop confusing people and stay your lane because you're just ditching out unfounded info.
section 29(5) "Any aspirant who participated in the primaries of the political party who has reasonable grounds to believe that any information given by his political party’s candidate in the affidavit or any document submitted but that candidate in relation to his constitutional requirement to contest the election 17 is false, may file a suit at the Federal High Court, against the candidate seeking the information contained in the affidavit is false”. This is a radical departure from the provisions of Section 31(5) of the Electoral Act, 2010 which gives locus standi to challenge any information given by any aspirant in his affidavit or any document to any person and such can be challenged at the Federal High Court, State High Court and High Court of the Federal Capital Territory. Under the new Law, such can only be challenged by an aspirant at the Federal High Court as provided under Section 29 (5) of the Electoral act, 2022. Section 153 of the Electoral Act, 2022 defines an aspirant as “ a person who aspires or seeks or strives to contest an election to a political office."
Stop being silly and intelligent by half. I don't know why you are emotional in this case.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 9:45am On May 23, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

You're misconstruing the whole thing Mr. Man. The new electoral Act forbids party nominating a candidate for two posts in an election circle and the same electoral Act even placed a penalty for anyone that breached the rule. A jail term is placed on double nomination offender, I have forgotten the number of year now. Nominating a candidate by a party is solely a party affair but nominating a candidate for double posts cannot be be said to be a party affair because the nomination not only affect the party but also affect other parties. If the supreme court allows it to fly, party will be at liberty to continue changing candidate for different posts.
However, my own is that if Shettima signed out properly on his first nomination and the case is decided on merit, the case may not fly because the second post was not through primary but selection to pair with elected candidate. That should be the real argument than this your unintelligent argument.
You argued well but don't you know that someone can commit murder and go Scot free if he's not held responsible for the act??, I mean if he's not arrested and charged to court. The court can't rule on any case that's not brought before it because the constitution prohibits it. This is a pretty_election matter that borders on qualification to run as the flagbearer. And section29(5) states it clearly. Besides, it has has nothing different from Bayelsa incident which is also a case of fraud. You may have been taken by the gravity of the sin but lack locus standi abolishes the most heinous act. If Shettima fails to resign properly, he can easily be disqualified by instituting the case by any of the aspirants that participated in the primary. Well, believe your mind until the court speaks.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 9:52am On May 23, 2023
Amah70:

Then what percentage of votes did the drafters of the constitution want the presidential candidate to win in Abuja? You can bite your tongue trying to confound an educated English man with your false interpretation of the meaning of a simple phrase in English language: must win 25% of votes in 2/3 of the number of states and Abuja.
Well, I promise not to cry wolf when the judiciary interprets it. Do you promise as well? I can't continue to educate people that are meant to know about this more intelligent than me. I was only officially equipped with knowledge on health not laws but this is basic nah. Just believe yourself.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 9:59am On May 23, 2023
Shantyken:
the guy quoting u is so emotional so no amount of ur explanation will make him understand
I tire o grin grin and the guy fit be a 70yrs old man o angry. They just come online to display ignorance. How can an educated adult will open his mouth and say that the electoral act is not part of the consti sad
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by ChybuzzDD(m): 9:59am On May 23, 2023
garfield1:

Section 133 is post election na while the rest are pre election

You're just clutching at anything in sight to support your already biased mind.

Who defines section 133 as being limited to only post election issues??

The section talks about an "election" petition and went ahead in section 152 to define what 'election' means

152 "election” means any election held under this Act and includes a
referendum;

From this definition, 'election' covers both the primary and general elections.

So, where did you get your own idea of section 133 talking about post election petitions only?
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Badb0y4lyf(m): 10:09am On May 23, 2023
Peacecore:
Any party at all. Tinubu has no right to sue Atiku's nomination by PDP for instance, with the claim of over voting in the primary election that produced him but Wike has the right to do that. Read through the new electoral law as amended and get enlightened. That's why appeal court termed PDP " busybody"

But this is technicality, the constitution of Nigeria supersede that of the Electoral act. Constitutionally he cant via for two positions at the same time. It is common knowledge
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by garfield1: 10:25am On May 23, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

You're just clutching at anything in sight to support your already biased mind.

Who defines section 133 as being limited to only post election issues??

The section talks about an "election" petition and went ahead in section 152 to define what 'election' means

152 "election” means any election held under this Act and includes a
referendum;

From this definition, 'election' covers both the primary and general elections.

So, where did you get your own idea of section 133 talking about post election petitions only?

You are the one actually clutching at imaginary straws like all people who hate apc.when you dont know anything,asks questions and be guided.
The electoral act was divided into parts with headings and subheadings.part 3 starts from section 75 and clearly captioned political parties.from 84,the subheading is boldly written nomination by parties and sub section 14 clearly specifies those who can sue..
From section 130,the heading is determination of petitions arising from elections.section 285 of the constitution has clearly explained everything about pre election matters.
Now,apply commonsense and ask why candidates in ,section 84 were not vested with locus and why in section 133,aspirants were not mentioned.does that not tell you that everything that happens before elections are within a party and after or during elections,between parties and candidates?
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 10:26am On May 23, 2023
Badb0y4lyf:

But this is technicality, the constitution of Nigeria supersede that of the Electoral act. Constitutionally he cant via for two positions at the same time. It is common knowledge
Technicality has been use to subvert the main would've been result of cases severally such as EFCC vs Orji Uzo Kali, Adeleke vs Oyetola etc.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Jagabanarmy: 10:30am On May 23, 2023
Tflex01:
Actually na this case I fear pass. No be all those Obi's watery petitions that are only instituted just for him to remain relevant among his supporters.
Ur head dey there. I'm a bit anxious but no shaking sha

1 Like

Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Shantyken(m): 11:51am On May 23, 2023
Peacecore:
I tire o grin grin and the guy fit be a 70yrs old man o angry. They just come online to display ignorance. How can an educated adult will open his mouth and say that the electoral act is not part of the consti sad
Honestly the thing tire me ooo
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Amah70: 2:21pm On May 23, 2023
Peacecore:
Hia! So, if a candidate wins all the 36 states and fails in Abuja, he won't be declared a winne? You people are funny walai. Well, it's your own belief. Just wait for court.
Yes. He cannot become president.
Because the candidate cannot be welcome in Abuja capital territory he is supposed to administer if he had won 25% of votes in the Abuja capital territory.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by rolams(m): 2:21pm On May 23, 2023
Shantyken:

So Shettima is VP and a senator elect

I don't know ooo!

Only talking about the constitution. The court will decide.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by rolams(m): 2:23pm On May 23, 2023
garfield1:

Section 29 sub 5 and section 84 has given only aspirants the right to institute preelection cases

This is exactly what I want to hear. God bless you.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by garfield1: 2:25pm On May 23, 2023
rolams:

This is exactly what I want to hear. God bless you.

infact, section 84 completely takes care of nominations
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by rolams(m): 2:27pm On May 23, 2023
Peacecore:
Oga stop analyzing the constitution the way you wish it should be to suit you. What will you say if the Tribunal or SC doesn't interpret it the way you think?? I hope you won't cry wolf??

I am saying this just because of the response. Everybody will analyze to suit their interest.

To be candid, I want our judiciary to be unbiased. Whoever wins, I am cool with it.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by rolams(m): 2:28pm On May 23, 2023
garfield1:

infact, section 84 completely takes care of nominations

Case closed then. God bless you Jare!
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by garfield1: 2:43pm On May 23, 2023
rolams:

Case closed then. God bless you Jare!

But I still feel jittery
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by edward1106(m): 3:03pm On May 23, 2023
Shantyken:

Lawyers were no get level among other SAN

You mean the best of SANS, amongst which is a SAN who has never lost case. grin grin
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 4:38pm On May 23, 2023
rolams:

I am saying this just because of the response. Everybody will analyze to suit their interest.

To be candid, I want our judiciary to be unbiased. Whoever wins, I am cool with it.
Good then...but me and you know the truth. People residing in Abuja are not superhumans that there votes alone determines who win and who doesn't win. If that the case, you would've seen all the candidates fighting more in Abuja than they normally do. Well, stay tuned for interpretation soon...
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 4:42pm On May 23, 2023
Amah70:

Yes. He cannot become president.
Because the candidate cannot be welcome in Abuja capital territory he is supposed to administer if he had won 25% of votes in the Abuja capital territory.
Chai! grin grin that means that unless governorship candidates win 25% of the state capitals they won't be welcomed to the capital?? Will accept the court verdict as the right interpretation when it finally come out? Whether it suits you or not.
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 5:06pm On May 23, 2023
Amah70:

Only a fool would like to confer equality to what is not equal to the others.
FCT is NEVER EQUAL to the states.
FCT has no governor.
Each of the 36 states has a governor. So who in his/her right senses would confer equality to FCT as the States?

Because FCT has no governor, the President is confered the powers by the Constitution to administer the FCT. But the Constitution made it CLEARLY mandatory for any presidential candidate to get at least 25% of votes of Abuja's electorate, as well as 25% of votes in 2/3 of Nigeria's number of states, in addition to having the highest number of votes; before the candidate can be declared winner.
This your argument is shocking to me aswear grin grin
Re: Tribunal To Deliver Judgement On PDP Suit Against Tinubu, Shettima On May 26 by Peacecore: 5:15pm On May 23, 2023
Jagabanarmy:

Ur head dey there. I'm a bit anxious but no shaking sha
Nothing dey dis case jorh! Section29(5) clarifies everything. All these emotional NLders are trying everything possible in their bad wishes to let Atiku emerge but it's too late. They'll even be fined for wasting Court's time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Seven Major Marketers Get Approval To Sell Dangote Fuel / Sanwo-Olu Commissions 252 Units Of 2-Bedroom Flats In Idale, Badagry / 2023: Shekarau Warns Southern Governors To Stop ‘Ganging Up’ Against North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.