Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria (17650 Views)

I Am Extremely Shy - SAD - Can I Succeed Like This / Join Freelancers In Nigeria Slack Community / Freelancers In Nigeria – Join Slack Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by qtguru(m): 2:19pm On May 25, 2023
pocohantas:

They come in with below basic skills and want to earn dollar/pounds. A friend kept telling me she can do what I do. Is it not Excel, is not business analysis. A partner had a vacancy and I sent it to her. She read the requirements and developed headache. I tried hard to ginger her to apply, she didn't. She done see Excel run.

lol it's not easy at all
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by tosyne2much(m): 2:20pm On May 25, 2023
MissOpe:
Be thankful that you're a skilled writer...
Some want to write but have no skills, some have writing skills but they don't even know how to earn from it...

That said, is writing a skill someone can develop or it's a natural gift to those who have it?
I developed mine through consistency

I had zero writing sklls and terrible vocabulary while growing up

3 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by millionboi2: 2:25pm On May 25, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
You have taken all this time to say absolutely nothing! He just wants to lure people to fake jobs that don't exist.
exactly ...op is an idiot
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 2:26pm On May 25, 2023
Kaycee54321:

Your moniker reminds me of the f.uckery one gets to deal with as a regular visitor of Nairaland.

Hahahahahaha. Na werey be that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by millionboi2: 2:27pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:
I will keep this short and no one should send me any message.

So last year I decided to revisit freelancing because I am a gifted writer and been writing for many years so why not use it to make money?

So I registered on a freelancing site and the journey began.

Making money is never the problem if you are a freelancer, the problem is how much time can you give to the job.
The job was just too much that i had to employ many nairalanders to work for me.
At a point I was earning $900 per week (i could earn much more than this but where is the time to do more work?) but the work was just too much. So much that i moved to an hotel for several months just so that i can focus and have the hotel staff attend to all my needs so I dont have to do any work except my writing job.

This is a job that would make you want to go mad. You will work mornimg and night as if you have no life. Forget social life, all you will be after is to meet deadlines.

People will think you are a yahoo boy because you dont go to an office and you are always on your laptop. They also see that you dont have problem with money. To make it worse you are always going to bank to collect dollars and take to aboki.

I shake my head when i see nigerians complaining that there is no work. There is work but most people cannot work. That is just the truth.

If you know you can make these sacrifices then you should consider freelancing so far you have the skills for the jobs you want to apply for.

you are a thief,God will punish you for deciving ppl in a faceless forum like this.

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by ArticleBeast: 2:29pm On May 25, 2023
jerk:
Forget about freelance writing, the job has casted now. Look for another freelance job and check if it will be affected by the current AI programs that makes jobs easy now.
Better look for your own job and take the advantage of AI to create your own job or niche, the era of freelance is coming to and end and only few might remain.
You can’t keep believing this and expect it to work for you. Just because you couldn’t make it doesn’t mean others don’t. It is like saying Chatbots will replace customer service

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by millionboi2: 2:30pm On May 25, 2023
emmysmith13:
Can you put me through please. 08020695847 thats my WhatsApp Number
easy b4 the deception land you in trouble
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by LUCASC(m): 2:30pm On May 25, 2023
I am a writer myself feel that too bro.
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by rezky(m): 2:39pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

So last year I decided to revisit freelancing because I am a gifted writer and been writing for many years so why not use it to make money?

Making money is never the problem if you are a freelancer, the problem is how much time can you give to the job.
The job was just too much that i had to employ many nairalanders to work for me.
At a point I was earning $900 per week (i could earn much more than this but where is the time to do more work?) but the work was just too much. So much that i moved to an hotel for several months just so that i can focus and have the hotel staff attend to all my needs so I dont have to do any work except my writing job.

This is a job that would make you want to go mad. You will work mornimg and night as if you have no life. Forget social life, all you will be after is to meet deadlines.

People will think you are a yahoo boy because you dont go to an office and you are always on your laptop. They also see that you dont have problem with money. To make it worse you are always going to bank to collect dollars and take to aboki.

I shake my head when i see nigerians complaining that there is no work. There is work but most people cannot work. That is just the truth.

If you know you can make these sacrifices then you should consider freelancing so far you have the skills for the jobs you want to apply for.

I love writing but i need training.,books or mentor, who can put me through the process..to perfect the the skill and focus on a niche...
Mind you, my writing ability, comes when i least expected... if decide to write stuff, it just come natural. Can you help me?
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by jubrilELsudan: 3:02pm On May 25, 2023
ODE

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by headboyprince(m): 3:11pm On May 25, 2023
jerk:
Forget about freelance writing, the job has casted now. Look for another freelance job and check if it will be affected by the current AI programs that makes jobs easy now.
Better look for your own job and take the advantage of AI to create your own job or niche, the era of freelance is coming to and end and only few might remain.
not just freelance writing but graphic design, translation, transcription, audio and video editing... Covid stay at home drove the competition extremely high and AI came and killed it... freelancing is dead...

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by ItisWell22(f): 3:27pm On May 25, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
You have taken all this time to say absolutely nothing! He just wants to lure people to fake jobs that don't exist.

The reverse psychology thingy?

Stating that no one should send him a message, so they stubbornly send.

Oh I see… 🤔
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by NGArmyTerrorist: 3:39pm On May 25, 2023
I no wan come hear say "I did a so so job for this person and he no wan pay me or PayPal account to pay my employee is having issues or they suspended my PayPal account to pay my employees.
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 3:43pm On May 25, 2023
*other than

AgentKB:
So, what value does your writeup provide order than your hope that it would be read by people who have the potential to ask you stupid questions? And that hope is clearly written in uppercase to show its the most important part of the text.

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Olodo24: 3:50pm On May 25, 2023
How does this freelancing work? I'm a very skilled writer.

Please, there's no sadness in the story like the heading hinted
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by 042boyz: 4:00pm On May 25, 2023
I'm a 2d animator and illustrator. I need a badass writer to collab with so we can work on something that will generate money worldwide
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by bullabong(m): 4:11pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

I write on upwork.com and amazon.com. how can we work together?
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Aurelius1(m): 4:17pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

Which site(s) do you use for your freelancing?
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by zubito(m): 4:49pm On May 25, 2023
You took it right from my mouth. The post is nothing but a bait. Someone that doesn't have basic knowledge of capitalisation!
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by OdogwuToks(m): 4:58pm On May 25, 2023
sonature1:
If you are an aspiring Freelancer, don't even bother because the space got supersaturated after COVID happened

Not true, there is still space.
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by alimiadedayo1: 5:22pm On May 25, 2023
qtguru:

I build Chrome extension and write code for clients
software engineer
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Edembasilprutus(m): 5:27pm On May 25, 2023
gabrieltemmy:
Somethings are not adding up.

I think this is the opposite of the actual problem, Because I know so many freelancers who are hungry for clients yet they are good at what they do. Especially in tech and writing

You are Right, I'm a graphic designer I try finding a remote work on freelance, I can't get any.

It was after months of biding that I give up and go into painting which is what I'm doing now.

Freelance doesn't work easily as he claims so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 25, 2023
Scammer.

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by tonicyril: 5:46pm On May 25, 2023
grin grin grin

Pls i got a question, can i ask
sonature1:
If you are an aspiring Freelancer, don't even bother because the space got supersaturated after COVID happened
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by sonature1: 5:47pm On May 25, 2023
tonicyril:
grin grin grin

Pls i got a question, can i ask

Sure
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Louis8796: 5:50pm On May 25, 2023
How did u do the freelance?
HardMirror:

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by tonicyril: 5:51pm On May 25, 2023
sonature1:

Sure

I want to change career, so I choose tech cus I love it and I want to practice it, I have bn learning software engineering for some months now. So the glitch is I I am nurturing the mind to jakpa and practice my newly learned field over there. But what u just wrote up there put a cold water on that ambition and make everything looks stupid to me. Imagine you saying the freelancing world is saturated, who knows what it is in the actual office environment??

Pls I need ur imput sir
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by sonature1: 6:11pm On May 25, 2023
tonicyril:

I want to change career, so I choose tech cus I love it and I want to practice it, I have bn learning software engineering for some months now. So the glitch is I I am nurturing the mind to jakpa and practice my newly learned field over there. But what u just wrote up there put a cold water on that ambition and make everything looks stupid to me. Imagine you saying the freelancing world is saturated, who knows what it is in the actual office environment??

Pls I need ur imput sir

Sorry about my comment; please don't let it discourage you. I'll edit it at once.

That said, I have been a freelancer for years now. Before COVID broke out, I was making a kill from the gig world. During lockdown, I was still making a reasonable amount until 2022 when everything went south. COVID opened a lot of people's eyes to the fact that they could actually work from home.

Due to coronavirus pandemic, many freelance platforms lowered their registration restrictions, letting lots of people easily sign up on their marketplaces. I am still a freelancer today, but the space has become more competitive now.

If you ask me, I'll say you should continue working on your skill until you become good at it. Afterwards, you can leave the country and start a new life abroad as a junior developer.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by online4business: 6:14pm On May 25, 2023
Freelancing pay no doubt but the way you glamorized it make it seem like it's easy.

You've been a writer for years and you are not advicing people to learn how to write ... A big red flag.

Someone who can't write you're telling him how easy it's to make dollars.

Here's my take on this

Teach people how to write do SEO and they will make passive income

I prefer blogging I used to publish on kdp until I was ban for image infringement.

I now published on a platform in Canada but prefer blogging

If you can write you wouldn't be working for someone else for only one time income.

I prefer passive income and cash out a huge exit.

I'm in the process of taking my niche site from $0-4000.

If I get to $4000 I'll flip it for $144k peged at 36 months multiple on flippa or empire flipper.

Right now I've 72 article bringing in 9 dollar I just place ezoic on 11-12 this month epmv at 13 dollars traffic is about 1k monthly visit. And 40-50 daily traffic

I need to write 300 blog post to meet this goal how hard is that and I need to write it in one year.

2 Likes

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by Salzburgnla(m): 6:15pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

Please help! I write too
Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by online4business: 6:27pm On May 25, 2023
Freelancing pay no doubt but the way you glamorized it make it seem like it's easy.

You've been a writer for years and you are not advicing people to learn how to write ... A big red flag.

Someone who can't write you're telling him how easy it's to make dollars.

Here's my take on this

Teach people how to write do SEO and they will make passive income

I prefer blogging I used to publish on kdp until I was ban for image infringement.

I now published on a platform in Canada but prefer blogging

If you can write you wouldn't be working for someone else for only one time income.

I prefer passive income and cash out a huge exit.

I'm in the process of taking my niche site from $0-4000.

If I get to $4000 I'll flip it for $144k peged at 36 months multiple on flippa or empire flipper.

Right now I've 72 article bringing in 9 dollar I just place ezoic on 11-12 this month epmv at 13 dollars traffic is about 1k monthly visit. And 40-50 daily traffic

I need to write 300 blog post to meet this goal how hard is that and I need to write it in one year.

1 Like

Re: The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria by FuckTheMod: 7:24pm On May 25, 2023
HardMirror:

Writing is too saturated and getting a job as a freshly registered member on any of those freelance platform is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Petroleum Engineers - Bp, Total, Exxonmobil Or Chevron? / FCTA Director Collapses Over Promotion / BREAKING: Federal Govt Bars Foreign Professionals Without Nigeria Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.