Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. (42348 Views)

I Am No Longer In Love With My Husband That Brought Me To The UK - Lady (video) / Help: Big Backside Ladies Have Made Me No Longer Have Feelings For My Partner / Is It True That When Women Have More Money They No Longer Regard Their Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by ghettochild(m): 9:38pm On May 31, 2023
Remove gift to people
Clothing n footwear.. you can't be buying clothes every month na...

2 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by LandMann: 9:39pm On May 31, 2023
Essenza01:
I really don't know anymore, i just did my budget for the month and i am scared, i have cut from everywhere possible and i fear for my self.. i dont have a GF, Wife, Children.. my salary is N400,000 and i have added side businesses and one or two's to even survive.. but with this fuel increase, what else is left... zero savings..

- Rent - N108,333/mth (1,300,000/12)
- Fuel for car - N180,000 (36k for 5-6days)
- Auto maintenance - N30,000/mth (service/repair)
- Fuel for generator - N50,000/mth (20ltr/wk)
- Feeding - N62,000 - (N2,000/day)
- Health miscellenous - N5,000/mth
- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth
- Recharge card - N3,000/mth
- Dry cleaner - N4,000/mth (Starch/iron)
- Hygiene maintenance - N10,000 (body spray/perfume, roll on, soap, cream) etc..
-  Gift to people - N10,000/mth
-  Family House contribution - N20,000/mth
- Eko electric - N10,000/mth
- repairs and maintenance - N12,000/mth
- Clothing, footwear etc - N10,000/mth
- Outings, restaurant, sit outs and provisions - N30,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

My rent is average rent for where i stay, its a two bed flat, i use the other room for home office..

Feeding is N2,000/day.. its not anything out of the ordinary.. tried cooking and spent more with time wasting.

Fuel for car is at the new rate of N500/ltr, my car is a 70ltr car tank..

Auto maintenance is basic brake pads, shocks, service 2mths, tire guage, police pr, tire purchase if any, minor touch ups etc... nothing major.

Fuel for generator is 20ltr/day (2hrs or less daily)

I need help.... how are you people doing it, what am i doing wrong? The rat race is killing me..

Some people earn 45k monthly and they still survive... I don't know how you'll be spending 180k for monthly fuel when you're not doing uber or bolt business and then 108k for monthly rent...shey the apartment extends your lifespan anything you're inside it?

You're definitely not sewing your coat according to your size...

My advice is that you should go and look for an apartment that is not more than 250-400k per year...even if it's far from your office... It will justify some of the fuel consumption...

Secondly, use savings from above to install 1kva solar power system for your lights, TV and laptop only... It will stop the 50k monthly fuel consumption and you'll stop disturbing yourself and others with generator noise...

If your driving around is not yielding times 2 of the amount spent on such journeys then cut off unnecessary driving and visitation and hangout... If you die, two weeks you'll be forgotten... even if you're the biggest clubber and baller in town... Learn to use public transportation...

Learn to cook simple foods and stop eating out for your health sake unless you want to die quick or catch cancer from consuming too much fast foods.

Do the above and you'll soon start saving 200k to 250k or more monthly for that next house project or course to upgrade yourself

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Styluss: 9:55pm On May 31, 2023
You are paying too much for rent. You need more than 3 months salary just for RENT. That alone is a poor financial decision if you as me. You can cut down some expenses like gen fuel and shoes etc. Rent is your major nightmare, a 600-800k rent should be good for you.
Essenza01:
I really don't know anymore, i just did my budget for the month and i am scared, i have cut from everywhere possible and i fear for my self.. i dont have a GF, Wife, Children.. my salary is N400,000 and i have added side businesses and one or two's to even survive.. but with this fuel increase, what else is left... zero savings..

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth
- Hygiene maintenance - N10,000 (body spray/perfume, roll on, soap, cream) etc..

Total = N556,500...

My rent is average rent for where i stay, its a two bed flat, i use the other room for home office..

Feeding is N2,000/day.. its not anything out of the ordinary.. tried cooking and spent more with time wasting.

Auto maintenance is basic brake pads, shocks, service 2mths, tire guage, police pr, tire purchase if any, minor touch ups etc... nothing major.

I need help.... how are you people doing it, what am i doing wrong? The rat race is killing me..

5 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by bukatyne(f): 10:17pm On May 31, 2023
Essenza01:

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

Your rent & car expenses is too high for your income.

If you are a bachelor living in a 2 bedroom flat because one is your home office, then you should be saving on fueling for car which would also reduce the maintenance.

If you have to go to the office more than you work from home (anything from 2x a week), then rent a smaller space.

Outing of N30k per month is too much considering your lifestyle. While N400k per month looks like a lot, you have loads of fixed expenditure that you have very little to play around with.

I don't know how you buy food daily but stock your house with provisions and garri.

Some afternoons, soak garri in cold water with groundnuts or Kuli Kuli or sugar or milk or milo or coconut etc depending on your preference.

Also have beans in stock; it is a one pot meal that you don't have to tend to continually while cooking.

Sometimes, okro is bae (can be cooked according to your pocket) and super fast.

Clothing and foot wears also shouldn't be monthly.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:17pm On May 31, 2023
You are living large o. 400k salary and you live in a nice house. Drive a car. I was earning like 3 times this and I still lived with my parents and never owned a car. My own outing no pass chickwizz for chicken republic and amaka oge once a while.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by somehow: 10:20pm On May 31, 2023
A single guy paying ₦1.3m for rent on a ₦400k salary.

Spent ₦86k in total on fueling like what exactly are you doing at home to spend that much on fuel for both car and gen?

Remember you're not the only one living in Lagos, Ajah or whatever.

Money management is far from you.

Go and learn the art of money management, if not, in 10 years time, you're going to remain exactly where you are now.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by bukatyne(f): 10:29pm On May 31, 2023
Essenza01:

Its not even the best of apartments, its just a regular place in Ajah axis... i still have to wake up 5am to run out...

Bros, you pay N1.3m per annum for 2 bedroom flat in Ajah axis and still wake up by 5am?

You are neither saving on cost (housing, fueling and car maintenance) nor health (waking up 5am everyday through traffic).

Please move to the mainland near 3rd mainland if you need a two bed so bad.

If your company has a staff bus, leverage on it. If not, there is Shuttlers and other shuttling services.

6 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by NoToPile: 10:52pm On May 31, 2023
180k to fuel motor out of 400k salary?
Then 30k maintainance on the same car monthly totally 210k

More than half of your salary is spent on your car, not a good thing at all. You need to re evaluate this You can't be spending half your monthly income to maintain a car.

This car fueling and your house rent is the main source of your problem ooo

Fuel for Gen 50k? Too much.

Your rent should not be more than 400-600k, decent Selfcontain are about within that range nau.

Pls just strike out that 30k for outing and provisions. Provisions should be under the 62k for feeding.

Try and work on these things.

6 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by sisisioge: 10:59pm On May 31, 2023
grin grin grin grin

You no serious! At all at all. You have home office yet pay so much on fueling and maintaining your car. It's either you do not need the home office or you do not need to fuel your car as much as you do. If I were you o, I would:

1. Cut down on rent by changing to a one bed cheaper space or renting out the second room.

2. I will cut down on monthly cloths and shoes grin

3. I will cut down on flex money.

4. I would cut down on car maintenance and fueling by selling and replacing my car with a more user and fuel efficient one.

Infact, let me not even bother because you really are not serious. If you cant be saving as a single earning 400k, you will not still save as a married earning 1m. May God help you.

8 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by NwaliE01: 11:00pm On May 31, 2023
Your budgeting is very wrong.

There's no long term and short term budgets.

You should have yearly, Quarterly, monthly, weekly, and daily budget if you're serious with your saving.

Then, in your itemised proposed expenditures,
Always ask yourself;

Do I really need to throw money at this?

Is this important to me right about now?

can't i do away with this or that?

Why must I spend on this?

Is this more important than that?

You must be willing to let go so many things.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by FalseProphet1(m): 11:18pm On May 31, 2023
Essenza01:

Ahh.. i cant give N40,000 oooo.. it is inside the N10,000 gift monthly.
You're giving it to God not man.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Kaycee54321(m): 2:29am On Jun 01, 2023
Men with balls of steel.

You're basically one knocked engine or serious sickness away from financial catastrophe.

1.3m rent for a 2 bedroom apartment as a single guy while working from home and fuelling a 70ltr vehicle is an overkill on the 400k.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by seanwilliam(m): 5:07am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

Ahh.. i cant give N40,000 oooo.. it is inside the N10,000 gift monthly.
from your spending break down, apart from rent, you’re not really spending so much tbh .

What you should do is.
Get a solar inverter, I have the one of 425000 naira, it will power tv, inverter washing machine,laptop, phones , blender and fan. It runs 24/7.. that will save you money on gen and maintenance .

Find apartment of 800 k max. This means your two months salary will cover your house rent .

Your car Maintenance is too high , haba, when no be fourth hand car u buy. Your car maintenance shouldn’t be more than 30k max including fuel since u no Dey waka waka much .

Your feeding fee is very ok, infact I spend x2 of that for food .

Other expenses up there are normal to me

8 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by seanwilliam(m): 5:12am On Jun 01, 2023
ghettochild:
Remove gift to people
Clothing n footwear.. you can't be buying clothes every month na...

Tbh, 10k cloth is not too much per month, that way the old cloth will last longer

6 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Gaspardd(m): 5:53am On Jun 01, 2023
Pple saying 30k on outing is too much re just being unreasonable.... You dont know aw boring it is to be single? Without being social, d aloneness can make sn run mad. You need this little outings to recharge your soul.
2. Even to have a gf/wife is far more expensive than that.

And for me also, im equally confused. Cuz the way money dey miss for my account enh? Ahhhhhhhh lord have mercy.

7 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Harddiskng(m): 7:01am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

Lool I didn’t see Tithe in the list, no wonder your take home is not taking you home. (Some people would come and bash me, here is an opinion from someone whose take home, reaches home and still get energy to waka round the area).

1) Settle God first, 10% (sow on a good ground - try Living Faith Church. After 3 months if you don’t see any God level doings in your life - change church)

2) Fuel for generation - with about 450k you can install a 1.7kva inverter, that should cut your money on fuel by more than half for the next 3-5 years.

3) Rent - since its only you look for a cheaper house. I was aim to pay rent with no more than 2 months salary. In your case its very possible and you would get a good place in a good location. With time, when a better salary earn to pay rent with one month salary.

3) Feeding - 62k can be cut down if you buy groceries in bulk.

4) Health miscellaneous - 5k seems small but you seem like a corporate person, no HMO?

5) DSTV - lol I have paid for this since 2016. Sitting in front of TV is not my thing, well except when i play video games.

6) Outings, restaurant, sit outs and provisions - cut your coat according to your size. You are spending 60k already on food monthly. Remove this.

7) Gift to people - remove this for now, having your finances in other first. This same people won’t help you pay rent when you go broke.

cool Repair and maintenance- of what? Yes i know something you need to change a bulb or two, buy a extension plug etc. for me its so far apart what i spend on it is insignificant and I don’t allow anything to go bad without repair.

The above should help you cut back by more than 100k

3 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Acidosis(m): 7:22am On Jun 01, 2023
Everything about your list is wrong and overbloated, including the least expensive items like hygiene maintenance.

Why are you spending 10k every month as a guy on hygiene maintenance? You dey do menstruation?

How much is your toothpaste and body/hair cream again and how often do you change these items? E no good to dey pass boundary, sincerely. Buy Nivea of 2,500 and add Soul mate hair cream of N500-N1000. I use these items for months.

And then you spend too much on fuel/maintenance. Do you have to drive everyday?

9 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Cornerstone2018: 7:24am On Jun 01, 2023
Japa
Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by TheBTCinvestor: 7:54am On Jun 01, 2023
ghettochild:
Reduce outings n sit out..
Reduced the number of days u on generator..buy a power station instead...
Someone sells here on nairaland...
Whilst u driving to work.. carry passenger going ur way..
That money will help
You wife shd wash ur clothes or better still do it yourself.. save 4k

Your really Ghetto mehn grin wat the hell is 4k

7 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Klass99(f): 8:05am On Jun 01, 2023
Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by wisdomkid: 8:07am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

Just regular hangout, chills, cinema, beach etc, activities to make you not loose your social life... this is just N7,500/week for networking..

Networking isn't bad at all. It's important to have the right networks in your Business niche. Very important.
Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Klass99(f): 8:23am On Jun 01, 2023

1 Like

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 01, 2023
I earn 3 times that amount you stated there but it's not been easy too for me. I found out in life that the more money you have the more responsibility that comes. I will advise that you cut back on your rent and fueling expenses, if not you'll always be broke living from paycheck to paycheck.

9 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by emmyN(m): 9:37am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

If you are spending 36k for car fueling a week with the new pump price, it means you are doing about 70 liters per week. If you were driving a 2008 Camry V6, you should be doing about 10 liters per 100km. At 70 liters a week you are presently spending, it means you are covering about 700km in just one week! That's the driving distance from Lagos to Abuja. Bros, where in heaven's name are you driving to? cheesy

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by temi4fash(m): 10:04am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

Your rent is too high

1 Like

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Omakraid(f): 10:34am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

Just regular hangout, chills, cinema, beach etc, activities to make you not loose your social life... this is just N7,500/week for networking

The clothing and footwear is equivalent to 120k/annum.. buying monthly helps the older ones last more..

House-hold ooo.. plumber, electrical, bulbs, gas, changeover damages, tap, cleaning gears etc...

The feeding, i have to even hide to eat N1,000/plate, i have even switched to egg and left the N1000 cowleg..
Reduce your networking to 2x a month instead of weekly.

Reduce clothings purchase to bi-monthly since you don't often go out

2 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Omakraid(f): 10:36am On Jun 01, 2023
Nazgul:

Kindly redo that budget.

1.3m for a 2bedroom apartment on a salary of 400k per month is on the high side. You need to work on your rent. Get an agent on the mainland. I'm sure he'll you'll get decent 2bedroom flats (or one bedroom flat) which would definitely be way cheaper than your current place.

From your post, you work from home. So why would you need to use the car for 5-6 days. If you're using a 4 cylinder engine and you fill your tank, it should last you for up to 2 weeks (or more) provided you're not a Waka Waka person.

If you work from home, I'll suggest you get a laptop with very strong battery, that way you can still remain online for hours after power outage. Also, get a rechargeable standing fan. The one I bought lasts up to 7hours when fully charged. This would help you at night so you can preserve your fuel and won't have to put on the gen if the weather gets hot. That way your gen would only be put on when you want to work and have low battery. With the new fuel price, one has to adjust in order to survive.

If you like cooking, I'll advise you to stock your kitchen with provisions. Yam, rice, beans, noodles, beverages...etc. The cost of procuring these stuffs would be high no doubt, but for the next few months, you won't have to buy anything. Meaning you'll have lots of money to save.

Close eye and get a washing machine. So that this 4k per month can be channeled to something else.

Gift to people kwa, for this renewed shege era. Biko strike that away from your budget.

You put auto maintenance at 30k, health 5k and hygiene 10k. Which other repairs and maintenance is this one again?

After budgeting 62k for feeding for the month, which one is outings and sit outs again?

How can your budget be more than your income? 🙄

You'll have to cut your coat according to the cloth. You can skip breakfast, eat a light lunch and have swallow for dinner. Everything shouldn't be more than 1k. Meaning you'll be saving 1k. That's something if you ask me.

Unless your car is Nigerian used, running these checks and changes every month isn't necessary and a complete waste of money. I changed my break pad September last year and this is May, I'm still using it. Same with shock, Tyre...etc. As long as you bought a decent car, it won't be swallowing up your money every now and then.

If you're using your gen for 2hours or less per day, 20 liters should last you more than a month. Most especially if you're in an area where power supply is decent.

It's simple, wear clothes you can afford, eat foods you can afford, date people within your range, don't go broke and in debt trying to impress anyone...Live within your means.
On point

1 Like

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Yoshy: 11:01am On Jun 01, 2023
Your rent shouldn't be more than your two months salary.

Better to be a month, you can switch to a studio apartment, to save cost. (I will suggest 500k at most).

Invest in a solar system, since you're in Lagos, 400k should get you a decent solar system that will power your laptop, TV, energy fan, all bulbs. If you increase it, it will even power a good energy saving AC...contact me if you want to know more.

What are you repairing at 12k per month?

You might want to switch to a more fuel saving car, for someone that works from home, filling up your tank should last up to a week.

Clothing 10k every month? Invest in quality cloths that will last long, make it once every 3 months.

I wouldn't advice you to reduce sit out fund, but you could check out places that won't mandate you to spend a lot.

I think you could save approx N180k from your current expenses now and still maintain a comfortable lifestyle.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Gaspardd(m): 11:17am On Jun 01, 2023
Klass99:

On a different note you and the OP have proved to me that men can't handle being alone very well just like it was in the garden of Eden for Adam. cheesy I can see how most of you get into trouble.
Life is ying yang, left and right, day and night, male and female, positive and negative... Aloneness and being social. And remember whatever is good need price to be paid. You cant just sit at mall expecting to have a good time.
Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by gonzales38: 11:34am On Jun 01, 2023
Sign up with Paymyrent.ng https://dashboard.paymyrent.ng/account/register so that sapa does not become your landlord

All the best bro

Essenza01:

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by gonzales38: 11:38am On Jun 01, 2023
OP I advise you SAPA-proof your rent using Paymyrent.ng
Register here https://dashboard.paymyrent.ng/account/register

All the best !!!

Re: Help Me With Budgeting.... My 400k Salary No Longer Takes Me Home. by Sanguine(f): 11:39am On Jun 01, 2023
Essenza01:

- Dstv - N4,500/mth
- Data - N7,000/mth

Total = N556,500...

Are you a christian?
The first thing on this list should be your TITHE.
You cannot pay your TITHE of 40k, but you budget 30k for outings and sit-outs even after 62k for feeding? Dey play!

Na every month something dey spoil for your house? 🙄
Na every month you dey buy new clothes and footwear? 🤔 Buy quality stuff that will last you a long time and you will not need to be replacing anything per month.

The Lord grants you wisdom to manage your resources right.
It is well with you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

15 Reasons Every Nigerian Grew Up With Trust Issues(pictures) / Liberian Woman Deals With Her Cheating Nigerian Husband, Sells House / Dad Upset After Babymama Let Their Daughter Sit On Her Uncle's Lap - Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.