Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React (91863 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal Nigerians Cries Out / Northern Elders Bemoan Insecurity, Ask Buhari To Resign / North-East Govs Bemoan Inability To Try Boko Haram Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by LikeAking: 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
WhatIf:

Any evidences that proof it is a lies and propaganda?

I said all the fuel..
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Titogbanski: 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
Looks like staged managed news...what about 2012
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by nairalanda1(m): 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2023
Titogbanski:
Looks like staged managed news...what about 2012

It was happening back then

That is one of the reasons why GEJ wanted to remove subsidy
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by famology(m): 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2023
Chaiiiiiii......Dem don finish us.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Patriotsleague: 4:35pm On Jun 02, 2023
dyera:

Is Nigeria not the big brother of Africa?
Let's do big brother, by setting up filling stations across West Africa, under our new NNPC PLC, we need to optimize value, make money from West Africa, then give back. Big brother needs revenue.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Bobloco: 4:35pm On Jun 02, 2023
Belafonte:

Very soon dem go lock you for psychiatric home. This your display of insanity will be handled in due course

Instead of you to counter my submission with superior points, you resorted to insults which shows that you are the one displaying insanity all over this great forum
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Frezhkid10(m): 4:40pm On Jun 02, 2023
sonature1:
All I know is that Nigerians don't take this country seriously. There's no way Benin Republic will be enjoying our subsidy without Nigerian customs and other border patrol agencies getting their share of the largasse.
Therefore eliminating the root cause which is fuel subsidy automatically eliminates corruption in the boarders!!!..

3 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by timisquare82(m): 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2023
grandlexuz:
The Kpayo local name of the sumggled fuel from Nigeria got me laughing. In Cameroon it is called Zoa.
Which one be KPAYO and ZOA again you people will not give me headache!
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Khyrvxjzy: 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nigeria should begin teaching norms and values in primary to tertiary school, everyone has thieving mentality, if not we go become mexico and co

7 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Asswipemod: 4:43pm On Jun 02, 2023
seunmsg:

It is true. I was in Port Novo last year and I saw how they all buy fuel from road side instead of petrol stations.

Hmmmm! I-Muda. Maverick ayรฉ. Ajala travel to Cotonou.๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by KingPure(m): 4:46pm On Jun 02, 2023
BTCJagaban:
In Benin republic, people only buy smuggled petroleum products from Nigeria. The fuel in their filling stations are not subsidized hence, they result to buying subsidized products which smugglers smuggle from Nigeria. They display this product by road side and they do it openly.

I think Benin republic government are great beneficiary of this subsidy removal. It will eradicate selling of petroleum products by road side.

Nigeria should get ready for influx of Africans into Nigeria. Subsidy removal in Nigeria wonโ€™t affect Nigeria only. It goes beyond.

As sweet & true as this your summation is, I can categorically support your conclusion with proofs. I used to know a Benenoise man & his family back in Ogun State. He has Nigerian guys as workers, and he's so suave with the Baales around the axis of Itele, Papa-lanto, Ewekoro, and the likes. He settles his way to & fro.... What is their work, they bunker oil by only God knows. How they came to know the pipelines in the wilderness is what I can't explain, and he's not learned. My only conclusion is that our borders across the length and breadth of this nation is so porous and unguarded. Let anyone believe otherwise

7 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Thomasankara(m): 4:46pm On Jun 02, 2023
[/color]oga nawa for yo reasoning o,must everything be politics to u[color=#770077]๐Ÿ˜ฒ
Bobloco:
I knew that they will come out with this propaganda

We are waiting for Niger, Togo, Chad and Cameroon

All to justify this thoughtless decision by Tinubu

Instead of fixing refineries, blocking leakages, having an effective and efficient border patrol to arrest and prosecute these smugglers
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by tete7000(m): 4:50pm On Jun 02, 2023
vannessa7:

The fuel subsidy that was already removed before Tinubus inauguration, if your clueless Peter Obi had won he would have met the same status quo as Tinubu met on ground, unless he would use his own money to subsidize the fuel because there was no money anymore for that but huge debt, imagine borrowing to subsidize fuel which end up benefiting the rich more, but you wouldn't know because your mind is already beclouded by hatred for Tinubu, you guys need to research more instead of just reacting emotionally due to your biases.

The ideas of Tinubu copying Peter Obi is a very ambitious if not ludicrous one from obedients. Peter Obi will never be able to hold a candle to Tinubu when it comes to ideas, leadership and effectiveness. Take that to the bank.

The argument that the subsidy benefits the rich you guys keep pushing forward is ludicrous as far as I am concern. As fuel is increased to 500+ now, who is unable to buy? Who feels the pain more? Is it the rich or the poor? Of course the rich doesn't feel the effect as the poor feels it, yet you guys will come around and turn the logic on its head and say the subsidy benefits the poor.

The subsidy in itself has never been a problem but rather the corruption that accompanies it and it where the government suppose to have been decisive. Instead of tackling corruption the government turns around and claims the only way forward is to remove subsidy. Quite unfortunately, the same corruption that affect the subsidy will continue to affect the utilization of money accrued from its removal.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Agadinaagwuofe: 4:50pm On Jun 02, 2023
sonature1:
All I know is that Nigerians don't take this country seriously. There's no way Benin Republic will be enjoying our subsidy without Nigerian customs and other border patrol agencies getting their share of the largasse.

This is exactly the point many are not seeing. You don't cure headache by hitting your head on the wall. Are Nigerians not suffering too? So because of activities of smugglers many Nigerians should suffer too? Subsidy should go but let their be palliatives or partial removal and for the news let the custom and border patrol strengthen their force, subsidized gasoline smuggling isn't enough reason to impoverish many Nigerians.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Aklee4994(m): 4:51pm On Jun 02, 2023
2mch:
Benin Republic no suppose be country. E suppose be State of Nigeria. Them and Togo. They are too small with too little resources to survive on their own.
Nigeria suppose turn to Russia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ make will just Dey invade all this small countries in the west Africa like Benin ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฏ Togo ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฌ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by tete7000(m): 4:51pm On Jun 02, 2023
kevoh:

As long as it's not been subsidized by our Federal Government, they can buy as much as they can.

But the scarcity can continue when the fuel is smuggle out to Benin Republic
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lightwind(m): 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2023
My happiness is, this fuel issues is only hitting hard on Peter Obi and Labour Party supporters ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ˜˜ and also on PDP supporters.

We APC and Tinubu supporters are enjoying it
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by etrange: 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nigerians rushed in to insult. I wonder why it's so difficult for an average Nigerian youth to engage in a decent conversation online. Everything is force and aggression.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Jungleluv5: 4:55pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

Instead of fixing refineries, blocking leakages, having an effective and efficient border patrol to arrest and prosecute these smugglers
Thomas family oh no Obidient family like you will not believe. Idiot
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Parachoko: 4:57pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

How is these products finding their way to those countries. No one have been sacked for not doing his job in securing our borders or arrested by the security agencies for smuggling

Instead of tackling the issues, they keep running around
Do you even still remember the name of the custom officer that exposed oil smugglers in Adamawa State?

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by emmybobo1: 4:57pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
Fuel in Benin is N489 right now.

And right now, fuel in Nigeria is N488-540 per liter.

At the end of the day, smugglers cannot make a profit at all. Removing subsidy has made it difficult for anyone to smuggle fuel across the border.

And people ask me why I say subsidy must go...well here is one good reason. grin

Modified

If fuel was still N195, and I was living on the border, I can buy fuel into two 50l jerrycans, at N19500, cross the broder and sell it at dobule the price, and earn a cool N40000. Note that it was not only big cabals involved in the smuggling...it was also small poor boys and gals too.
So what happens to border control. That's their job. Other countries should not determine the social services our govt delivers to it's legitimate citizens.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by grandstar(m): 4:59pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

You people never learn do you! Your emotions will always trump reality or hard truth.

Mele Kysri has already said local production of pms will not change the price. A subsidy exist and the government no longer has the money to keep subsidizing it.

The smugglers aren't the problem. The huge subsidy is. As a former US president said, "The existence of subsidies can not be divorced from abuse."

I choose to do simple maths. A litre if Brent crude oil sells for 49cents. That is the raw crude oil. Just multiply it by the very unrealistic exchange rate of 460 and you and you already have N225/litre. The oil hasn't yet been refined and it's costing N225/litre which is higher than the finished product pms was sold for last week at 185. What happens when you now add refining cost to it?

That means in Nigeria, it was cheaper to purchase petrol than to buy crude oil!!!!

What if we now use a realistic exchange rate of like 650 and then we start seeing how wasteful the subsidy is.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Ayodeoba: 5:00pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

How is these products finding their way to those countries. No one have been sacked for not doing his job in securing our borders or arrested by the security agencies for smuggling

Instead of tackling the issues, they keep running around
come to idiroko, you will understand, I had once smuggled petrol inside school bag across to the boarder side to sell for higher profit.
What will you talk about drivers carry passengers, fill up their tanks, after drop passengers, they offload the fuel and sold at high fee

5 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by nairalanda1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2023
emmybobo1:

So what happens to border control. That's their job. Other countries should not determine the social services our govt delivers to it's legitimate citizens.

Indeed , you raise a very good point....but the removing subsidy measure too takes the wind from their sails well well.

But then again, even if the border control did their job.....at the end, the cost of subsidy would keep on growing till it grows beyond what our revenue can support...because the fuel consumption and the difference between production cost and government set price would both rise.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by timisquare82(m): 5:02pm On Jun 02, 2023
fineboynl:
Benin Republic is just 13 milion people. And besides that Thier is very minimum fuel amount that get to that country. Same also Nigeria import cheaper things from that country. It's not the reason we are paying trillions but corruption.
Is there government paying subsidy on those cheaper things we import from their country?

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Quintopia: 5:02pm On Jun 02, 2023
Tvoice:

The same bene dat deported nigerians few months ago .

CAN YOU IMAGINE?

Deporting our people while enjoying our free oil!

Kai. This world eh!?!

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Jungleluv5: 5:03pm On Jun 02, 2023
Removing subsidy is a good development I can remember last year a custom officer arrested a truck loaded with pms heading trying to cross the boarder is it Niger or Chad and the insist that the truck should go back but many Oga at top were calling him to allow the truck to pass but he said no.

7 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by nnmichelle3542: 5:05pm On Jun 02, 2023
see below

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Quintopia: 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2023
Reussite:
Of course, it was going to affect Benin and some other neighboring countries. The only issue is how do we ascertain the proceeds from the subsidy removal will be used for the promised purpose cos I dont trust this new government.
This was the economic woe that befell Venezuela before their current recovery.

Mumu. There are no โ€œproceedsโ€ from the subsidy removal because the 10 billion dollars a year subsidy was paid for with borrowed money.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by emerged01(m): 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2023
BTCJagaban:
In Benin republic, people only buy smuggled petroleum products from Nigeria. The fuel in their filling stations are not subsidized hence, they result to buying subsidized products which smugglers smuggle from Nigeria. They display this product by road side and they do it openly.

I think Benin republic government are great beneficiary of this subsidy removal. It will eradicate selling of petroleum products by road side.

Nigeria should get ready for influx of Africans into Nigeria. Subsidy removal in Nigeria wonโ€™t affect Nigeria only. It goes beyond.
Fact! It benefits their government.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by jogojogo: 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
At the end, we can't be subsidizing the whole of West Africa.

So this is true. I had doubted this before

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Roon9(m): 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2023
DOptical:
Imagine. Nigeria using huge funds to subsidise fuel for the whole Africa nation while Nigeria masses themselves bear the brunt of it all.

Has Mr president highlighted where the funds from subsidy removal would go to? Man is just after himself. Wake up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ganduje Dollar Video Played On Edo Biggest Roundabout Billboard / Wike Demolishes Prodest Hotel, Eleme In Rivers State (Pictures) / What I Told Buhari When He Telephoned Me On My Daughterโ€™s Killing -fasoranti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.