Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React (91901 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal Nigerians Cries Out / Northern Elders Bemoan Insecurity, Ask Buhari To Resign / North-East Govs Bemoan Inability To Try Boko Haram Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by youngrichnigga: 7:29pm On Jun 02, 2023
Most of the people selling the kpayo fuels are Nigerians, so bunkering and attacks on isolated pipelines will certainly increase in the coming days especially in areas close to Benin Republic undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by IMASTEX: 7:30pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:

Oga, this is not propaganda.

It has been going on for years. That is how we keep losing money

And the same thing happens in Venezuela.....

Look, I know Tinubu and company are not the best we can do for this country...but this part is not propaganda. There are articles and papers and diagrams online that detail the extent of the smuggling problem.

Or have you forgotten the brave Customs officer who exposed what was going on?

Removal of subsidy has ended the cheating that some marketers were doing. Make them work hard for their money.

How do they move these products passed the security, if they aren't getting their cut.
Nigerians have also be smuggling in rice, cars, etc from Benin Republic. The issue is tied to a weak institution. How can Nigeria be said to be consuming 60m litres of PMS daily?! And a reasonable govt won't investigate & probe such huge number. But go ahead to subsidy if not that the same govt is corrupt. Well, Nigeria should also be ready to welcome most of them as they will migrate into the country.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by NoToPile: 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2023
Quintopia:

Dude, forget that thing. You can’t be all about punishing folks for taking advantage of the situation. If YOU were say a customs officer deployed to the border amidst such smuggling, YOU would take advantage and enrich yourself and family.

And if you disagree, you’re a liar.

The ONLY thing that stops corruption anywhere in the world is when authorities make it very uncomfortable or risky, or unnecessary, or impossible.

In this instance, Tinubu chose ‘impossible’.

@bolded I love it when people are factual.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Darren95: 7:41pm On Jun 02, 2023
BTCJagaban:

Nigeria should get ready for influx of Africans into Nigeria. Subsidy removal in Nigeria won’t affect Nigeria only. It goes beyond.

Pls why do you say we should get ready for influx of Africans to Nigeria? Explain better

Thanks a lot
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by drololaaof: 7:49pm On Jun 02, 2023
BTCJagaban:
In Benin republic, people only buy smuggled petroleum products from Nigeria. The fuel in their filling stations are not subsidized hence, they result to buying subsidized products which smugglers smuggle from Nigeria. They display this product by road side and they do it openly.

I think Benin republic government are great beneficiary of this subsidy removal. It will eradicate selling of petroleum products by road side.

Nigeria should get ready for influx of Africans into Nigeria. Subsidy removal in Nigeria won’t affect Nigeria only. It goes beyond.
Shame to the customs -NCS they are good at seizing rice and vehicles but allow petrol to be smuggled out .
The petrol tankers that were seized in the north what happens to them .
We are suffering for the inefficiency and corruption .of our leaders

2 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by MrBlock: 8:07pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:
I knew that they will come out with this propaganda

We are waiting for Niger, Togo, Chad and Cameroon

All to justify this thoughtless decision by Tinubu

Instead of fixing refineries, blocking leakages, having an effective and efficient border patrol to arrest and prosecute these smugglers

Are you selectively intelligent or this level of foolishness is your default mode?

Why don't you ask your friends in those countries and verify this information yourself. Its great to critique, but do so with intellectual discipline.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 8:08pm On Jun 02, 2023
GeneralPula:

The distance between Nigeria border to benin 🇧🇯 border isn’t up to 1 mins bro. It’s so close. These smugglers uses small small boys! They smuggle thru bikes, cars, boats, canoes.

So crossing over is the easiest thing as there’s no distance between benin/Nigeria!

if nigerian border to benin border isnt up to 1 min, is it at the border that the fuel is offloaded?

how old are these "small boys"?

how much fuel do thes "small boys" carry per time?

which road do the bikes, cars pass?
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 8:09pm On Jun 02, 2023
WhatIf:

It is a good development

you said that before. the question is how is it a good development?
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by adelafe2019: 8:15pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
Fuel in Benin is N489 right now.

And right now, fuel in Nigeria is N488-540 per liter.

At the end of the day, smugglers cannot make a profit at all. Removing subsidy has made it difficult for anyone to smuggle fuel across the border.

And people ask me why I say subsidy must go...well here is one good reason. grin

Modified

If fuel was still N195, and I was living on the border, I can buy fuel into two 50l jerrycans, at N19500, cross the broder and sell it at dobule the price, and earn a cool N40000. Note that it was not only big cabals involved in the smuggling...it was also small poor boys and gals too.
Your calculation is wrong ,the seller of two fifty litres filled with petrol at a cost of 195 naira per litre and selling at 489 naira per litre cannot make 40 000 naira profit. Check and use your calculator.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by amaridigital(m): 8:29pm On Jun 02, 2023
Ismael97:
Wow

Na Kpayo now. Funniest thing is that we Nigerians always think we are the smartest. Small African countries open office on top our head. Na Kpayo oh.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by MeineMutter: 8:32pm On Jun 02, 2023
BTCJagaban:
In Benin republic, people only buy smuggled petroleum products from Nigeria. The fuel in their filling stations are not subsidized hence, they result to buying subsidized products which smugglers smuggle from Nigeria. They display this product by road side and they do it openly.

I think Benin republic government are great beneficiary of this subsidy removal. It will eradicate selling of petroleum products by road side.

GHANA MUST COME.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Exceed15: 8:39pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:

At the end of the day, smugglers cannot make a profit at all. Removing subsidy has made it difficult for anyone to smuggle fuel across the border.

And people ask me why I say subsidy must go...well here is one good reason. grin

Modified

If fuel was still N195, and I was living on the border, I can buy fuel into two 50l jerrycans, at N19500, cross the broder and sell it at dobule the price, and earn a cool N40000. Note that it was not only big cabals involved in the smuggling...it was also small poor boys and gals too.

It's easier said than done. Nigerian government are not sincere. The proceed of the subsidy would still be siphoned. APC is a fraud.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

Instead of fixing refineries, blocking leakages, having an effective and efficient border patrol to arrest and prosecute these smugglers
Too much sense no go kill you my brother.
Propaganda is their only weapon.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by likedslikedat(m): 8:47pm On Jun 02, 2023
what most of you don't know most of ds players in the downstream divert subsidized petrol to neighbouring west African countries to make higher profit rather than selling to Nigarians thereby creating scarcity in d Nigerian mkt. The major culprit are filling stations located along the borders.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Demurray: 8:49pm On Jun 02, 2023
Corea4king:

So,we should die because govt subsiding some African countries.
Why can't govt tight their security across all boarders?.
Security equal to smugglers and vice versa. If you know you know
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by GeneralPula: 8:52pm On Jun 02, 2023
lexy2014:

if nigerian border to benin border isnt up to 1 min, is it at the border that the fuel is offloaded?
I’ve never seen where they offload!

Just teenagers

I’m not sure per time.

I don’t know. It’s like asking the road Fayawo(Car smugglers do pass).
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Baatunde(m): 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2023
"Fuel subsidy is an organised crime and I will remove it IMMEDIATELY, if I am elected President." Peter Obi

“I can assure you, it will go immediately. Subsidy, I have said it before, is organised crime and I will not allow it to stay a day longer,” Peter Obi

Please note the emphasis (mine) here on IMMEDIATELY.....so if Obi was sworn in on the 29th of May, it implies he would have removed it straightaway but you people continue to make it look as if he has a special plan for removing subsidy. Dont forget that any so called palliative measure is another subsidy by stealth and is also not going to be sustainable even in the short term. Yes it will casue hardship in the short run but things should stabilize hopefully as soon as possible.

Let us try to be objective once in a while, no country in this world is able to effectively police its borders not even with the best of technology. Guns, drug and humans continue to be trafficked to the US and if you have watched Borderforce USA and simialr program you will come to realise the challenges of securing the border effectively. Yes there is the issue of corrupt Nigerian customs officers, but if you have carefully read several threads here you cannot but acknowledge that smugglers are becoming more and more determined and ingenious just because of the big margin they make from smuggling petroleum products.

The only effective way is to make it not worth their while again, if the price differential is not a lot across border.

BY the way also we keep hearing about how Tinubu opposed subsidy removal back in 2012, may i genuinely asked what was the position of Peter Obi at that time? Can anyone please tell me please, I am asking sincerely because I dont know

Bobloco:

All the three leading candidates promise to remove it no doubt about that but the difference is the approach. Tinubu got no approach reason why he goofed with that "subsidy is gone" pronouncement right at the inauguration ground

2 Likes

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Roon9(m): 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2023
DOptical:

Tinubu supported both sides on the issue. He more or less sat on the fence. Anyway, nothing concerned Tinubu with Jonathan at that time, considering Jonathan betrayed Tinubu by laying siege into Tinubu's house unnecessarily despite the fact that Tinubu supported him in 2011 and had never been in any federal administration.

My brother I just understood this subsidy stuff. It was a big big scam jare

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 8:58pm On Jun 02, 2023
[quote author=GeneralPula post=123537296][/quote]

If you haven't seen where they offload, how then is the fuel from Nigeria handed over to the people who take the fuel to Benin?

The "small boys" are just teenagers and you aren't sure how much fuel these "small boys" carry per time, how then is Nigeria subsiding fuel for Benin?

You don't know which road they pass. How then do you know that they use cars and bikes to carry the fuel across?

I’ve never seen where they offload!

Just teenagers

I’m not sure per time.

I don’t know. It’s like asking the road Fayawo(Car smugglers do pass).
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by justmondris: 8:58pm On Jun 02, 2023
It’s expected because our oil cabals have been smuggling our subsided petrol to those neighboring countries in order to sell it at a higher rate. Thank God this scam called subsidy has been removed and they will now buy petrol at the non smuggled product price rate.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 9:01pm On Jun 02, 2023
likedslikedat:
what most of you don't know most of ds players in the downstream divert subsidized petrol to neighbouring west African countries to make higher profit rather than selling to Nigarians thereby creating scarcity in d Nigerian mkt. The major culprit are filling stations located along the borders.

Who are these "players in the downstream divert subsidized petrol to neighbouring west African countries to make higher profit"?

At what time did their diversion manifest in fuel scarcity in Nigeria?

How is the fuel diverted to neighboring west African countries?
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by adekolaelect(m): 9:05pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

This is pure propaganda

How is these products finding their way to those countries. No one have been sacked for not doing his job in securing our borders or arrested by the security agencies for smuggling

Instead of tackling the issues, they keep running around
oga your comment look kiddies.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 9:05pm On Jun 02, 2023
justmondris:
It’s expected because our oil cabals have been smuggling our subsided petrol to those neighboring countries in order to sell it at a higher rate. Thank God this scam called subsidy has been removed and they will now buy petrol at the non smuggled product price rate.

Who are these "oil cabals"? Can you pls name them?

How do they get to the border and thereafter across the border?

If you call subsidy a scam, then there are scammers. Are these scammers ghosts?
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 9:10pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:

Modified

Who are these "big cabals"? What is their identity and their names?

The "small boys and gals" they use, what is their age?

How much fuel can these "small boys and gals" carry per time?

How does fuel get to border and handed over to these "small boys and gals"? Where exactly is this transaction carried out?
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by drlateef: 9:11pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

Shut up!!! That’s the reality. Subsidy is only feeding economic saboteurs. Refineries will be fixed but that does not bring down the price because the refineries will sell at international rate of crude oil price.

1 Like

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by prophetfire: 9:11pm On Jun 02, 2023
Bobloco:

You understand it. Tinubu's propaganda machine have gone to work.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by WhatIf: 9:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
lexy2014:

you said that before. the question is how is it a good development?

Google is your friend and it is available to schooled you. What I know is that it is a very very very very good development.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 02, 2023
PopQueenAgency:
People like iyaebethegreat should be dropped in the middle of a crowd in Benin so they can help get rid of her.

People like you should be tied to a tree branch with a noose around your neck for typing nonsense like this on nairaland.
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by lexy2014: 9:22pm On Jun 02, 2023
WhatIf:

Google is your friend and [b]it is available to schooled you. [/b]What I know is that it is a very very very very good development.

I believe you the one who needs schooling cos your grammar is something else as seen in the highlighted.

If Google is my friend, is Google your enemy?

Since you have been schooled on Google, then answering the question should be easy for you. how is it a good development?
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by jubrilELsudan: 9:23pm On Jun 02, 2023
THUNDER FIRE DEM

Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by Bobloco: 9:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
adekolaelect:
oga your comment look kiddies.

I'm not surprised

As usual, contrary augmented that doesn't suit with you is childish
Re: Benin Republic Citizens Bemoan Fuel Subsidy Removal, Nigerians React by WhatIf: 9:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
lexy2014:

I believe you the one who needs schooling cos your grammar is something else as seen in the highlighted.

If Google is my friend, is Google your enemy?

Since you have been schooled on Google, then answering the question should be easy for you. how is it a good development?

Well done, Mr grammarian!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Photos From Vice Presidential Debate As Obi Clashes With Osinbajo. See Reactions / THE TRUE FACE OF THE NORTH / Mr Macaroni Shares His Polling Unit Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.