Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium (3319 Views)

When A Girl Is Dating A Guy Who Is Not Ready For Marriage / How To Get A Nigerian Man To Marry You / My Experience Dating A Nigerian Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by JumGurl(f): 11:03pm On Oct 02, 2011
Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum and I just want your advices, I am a girl from Belgium dating a nigerian man, And I feel like its the biggest challenge I've ever come across. As a person I am very open minded and I love to learn new cultures and different ppl from around the world BUT;

Last weekend me and my date went out to eat with his 4 other guys in a restaurant, and I am telling you, alle they did was to shout, argue - in igbo of course. I did not have fun AT ALL! I dont understand the language, and I dont wanna be asking my date every ten seconds; "what are you saying, what does this mean, etc, "

I actually think because of that night I see that I have no future/or a very complicated one, with this man cus whenever he's around someone from nigeria, I cannot be a part of the conversation, What can I do?
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Mavor: 5:27am On Oct 03, 2011
Just talk to him about it. If he loves you enough, he'll change. He may be doing it unconsciously and no realize what bad manners it is. Good luck in your relationship. smiley
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by MrsChima1(f): 5:59am On Oct 03, 2011
Aww. He is being rude and you need to have a talk with him. Stress to him that if he continues speaking in his native tongue when he is around his people without giving you a heads up on what you need to know.

You should speak your native tongue around your people and he start to get agitated and questioning your every vowels, it is the perfect time to say now you see how I felt when you did that to me.

It could be harmless and a habit with him but sit him down and communicate with him. If the problem continues then you have to make a decision on what you should do from there on out.

Don't stress yourself if he doesn't listen. Some people are there for a season and some are there for eternity. Which one is he?
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 03, 2011
A Nigerian man? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Good luck with that one child. lipsrsealed
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by MrsChima1(f): 6:21am On Oct 03, 2011
Wifey! You are so mean! grin grin grin
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 03, 2011
I have heard a lot about Belgium.Its a very a country were blacks are hated.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 03, 2011
typo
its a country were blacks are hated
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 03, 2011
JumGurl:

Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum and I just want your advices, I am a girl from Belgium dating a nigerian man, And I feel like its the biggest challenge I've ever come across. As a person I am very open minded and I love to learn new cultures and different ppl from around the world BUT;

Last weekend me and my date went out to eat with his 4 other guys in a restaurant, and I am telling you, alle they did was to shout, argue - in igbo of course. I did not have fun AT ALL! I dont understand the language, and I dont wanna be asking my date every ten seconds; "what are you saying, what does this mean, etc, "

I actually think because of that night I see that I have no future/or a very complicated one, with this man cus whenever he's around someone from nigeria, I cannot be a part of the conversation, What can I do?
Just date your Belgian men and hence it would be much easier for u since u both would be speaking the same language.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by tellwisdom: 8:40am On Oct 03, 2011
Pour him drink on the face whenever he behaves silly by nOt involving you in a biznes talk angry angry #Wicked angry
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 03, 2011
haba OP go and learn igbo so wen ur boyfriend is yapping in igbo with his friends over a plate of akpu and bitter leaf soup then u rap back in igbo to them grin
no be ur mates dey speak igbira and kalabari language with their naija boyfriends?
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by tellwisdom: 10:14am On Oct 03, 2011
Apku right?? grin grin dis wan go fit swallow apku so?? grin
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by girlie2000(f): 11:38am On Oct 03, 2011
you can make new friends here http://friendfinder.com/go/g1332861
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 03, 2011
tellwisdom:

Apku right?? grin grin dis wan go fit swallow apku so?? grin
u never see ooo grin.some oyibo girls dey wey even fit drink hot soup and amala and nothing go do dem grin
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by tellwisdom: 12:44pm On Oct 03, 2011
Oboy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, thou shall not look down on any ethnic, irrespective of the country grin grin
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by iice(f): 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2011
rokiatu:

A Nigerian man? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Good luck with that one child. lipsrsealed
lol

@OP
Talk to him. You may have to repeat the talks but if it's something that both of you truly want. . .things will get better
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by JumGurl(f): 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
tom28:

I have heard a lot about Belgium.Its a very a country were blacks are hated.
Yeah, I guess ppl hear a lot about belgium - I've heard that Nigeria is a country where whites are hated,  undecided undecided

tom28:

Just date your Belgian men and hence it would be much easier for u since  u both would be speaking the same language.
Soooo, if the whole world just dated a person from his/her own country/tribe/religion, how would you think the world would be?

lefulefu:

no be your mates dey speak igbira and kalabari language with their naija boyfriends?
Am I supposed to understand this comment?

rokiatu:

This is not the first time I've heard this one,  Most people tell me not to date him - not because he is black - but because he is a nigerian. It must really take a lot of effort to build up such a notorious reputation,  End of that comment!

Mrs, Chima:

Aww.  He is being rude and you need to have a talk with him.  Stress to him that if he continues speaking in his native tongue when he is around his people without giving you a heads up on what you need to know. 

You should speak your native tongue around your people and he start to get agitated and questioning your every vowels, it is the perfect time to say now you see how I felt when you did that to me. 

It could be harmless and a habit with him but sit him down and communicate with him.  If the problem continues then you have to make a decision on what you should do from there on out.

Don't stress yourself if he doesn't listen.  Some people are there for a season and some are there for eternity.  Which one is he? 
Thanks for your advise,  I will take it into serious consideration! AND what do you mean by some are here for a season??
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by omega25red(m): 6:00pm On Oct 03, 2011
poster you need to only consider the first two responses. If you do stay on this sight long enough you will find that most responses are immature and anger inducing (Don't take those seriously)

Talk to him and inform him that he is being rude if he doesn't change exercise your options
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by MrsChima1(f): 7:49pm On Oct 03, 2011
JumGurl:

Thanks for your advise,  I will take it into serious consideration! AND what do you mean by some are here for a season??

Meaning everyone that comes into our lives aren't meant to stay.  There are three types of people in our lives: leaves, branches, and roots.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 03, 2011
Jumgirl to make it easier for you i suggest u date a black american or probably a caribbean man since u have a problem with him speaking his language and u want someone who speaks english.Its not a must u must date an african anyway and looking frm the way u already having a problem with him speaking his language i would say ur relationship is already heeded for a big crash.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 03, 2011
JumGurl:

This is not the first time I've heard this one, Most people tell me not to date him - not because he is black - but because he is a nigerian. It must really take a lot of effort to build up such a notorious reputation, End of that comment!
Thanks for your advise, I will take it into serious consideration! AND what do you mean by some are here for a season??
Let me guesss grin grin grin
Your friends told u not to date him because nigerian men are scammers,have multipile babies all over the place and whats such.Jeez u must really be thinking u doing this your igbo boyfriend a huge favour dating him. grin grin grin.Is he an illegal immigrant by the way?
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by JumGurl(f): 8:15pm On Oct 03, 2011
tom28:

Jumgirl to make it easier for you i suggest u date a black american or probably a caribbean man since u have a problem with him speaking his language and u want someone who speaks english.Its not a must u must date an african anyway and looking frm the way u already having a problem with him speaking his language i would say your relationship is already heeded for a big crash.
I prefer not always to take the easy way out, the "just cus we dont speak the same language, I should just give up"-philosophy is not something I am willing to accept. I really like this man. When we are alone, he is the most caring, considering, , understanding and loving man I've ever met. I cant just give up due to this obsticle. This is why I am willing to aproach these forums to ask for guidance from other nigerians. I am willing to put my heart out - not only here - but also to him to let me see where this will take us.

Mrs, Chima:

Meaning everyone that comes into our lives aren't meant to stay.  There are three types of people in our lives: leaves, branches, and roots.
It all depends on how we will continue this thing - if he and I are ment to be, then he is a root I guess.  Otherwise, time will only tell.

And also another thing, another night we went out dancing. Me and him danced most of the night. Then he wanted to rest, but I wanted to continue dancing. Then some of his friends approach me for dancing and I denied. He said that in Nigeria it is rude to turn down a dance from a man. Is that true? I dont wanna be rubbing my g.enitals (That was the dance his friends were going for) against another mans groin in front of my date. What's the view on that?
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by JumGurl(f): 8:17pm On Oct 03, 2011
tom28:

Let me guesss grin grin grin
Your friends told u not to date him because nigerian men are scammers,have multipile babies all over the place and whats such.Jeez u must really be thinking u doing this your igbo boyfriend a huge favour dating him. grin grin grin.Is he an illegal immigrant by the way?
Wow - you are really filled with prejudices, You wanna know what ppl tell me? You sure you can handle it?
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 03, 2011
JumGurl:

Wow - you are really filled with prejudices, You wanna know what ppl tell me? You sure you can handle it?
She is asking if i can handle it grin grin grin ; their D
What worse can u say about nigerians that i havent heard?.Look jumgurl i live in the USA and the USA is a place were ppl get sterotyped on account of their heritage or the colour of their skin.The US is a place were it is beleived that all arabs are terrorist,all africans live on treetops and have tails between their legs,all mexicans eat tacos and they sell oranges and all black americans are thugs and sag their trousers.So i have across real hardcore ppl with prejudices and what u say would just be what other ppl say about nigerians.Your country for example has a very racist history.If i recall many yrs back your Govt was responsible for the million deaths of africans in the congo in the slave camps.We all remember the belgian atrocites in the congo and the way the average belgian views ppl of dark skin colour.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 03, 2011
JumGurl:

Yeah, I guess ppl hear a lot about belgium - I've heard that Nigeria is a country where whites are hated,  undecided undecided
Soooo, if the whole world just dated a person from his/her own country/tribe/religion, how would you think the world would be?
Am I supposed to understand this comment?
This is not the first time I've heard this one,  Most people tell me not to date him - not because he is black - but because he is a nigerian. It must really take a lot of effort to build up such a notorious reputation,  End of that comment!
Go and learn his language and quit whining undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by seedord247(m): 8:51pm On Oct 03, 2011
lefulefu:

Go and learn his language and quit whining undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I think you are applying some make up to your brain this day. . . Thumps up

Try and get one for your brother tell-wisdom . . . . . so that he can post reasonable and sensible comment rather than blabbing all over the thread.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by JumGurl(f): 8:56pm On Oct 03, 2011
lefulefu:

Haha, Could you please provide me with the address of an belgian (speaking english is ok) igbo teacher? Good luck with that!

tom28:

She is asking if i can handle it grin grin grin ; their D
What worse can u say about nigerians that i havent heard?.Look jumgurl i live in the USA and the USA is a place were ppl get sterotyped on account of their heritage or the colour of their skin.The US is a place were it is beleived that all arabs are terrorist,all africans live on treetops and have tails between their legs,all mexicans eat tacos and they sell oranges and all black americans are thugs and sag their trousers.So i have across real hardcore ppl with prejudices and what u say would just be what other ppl say about nigerians.Your country for example has a very racist history.If i recall many yrs back your Govt was responsible for the million deaths of africans in the congo in the slave camps.We all remember the belgian atrocites in the congo and the way the average belgian views ppl of dark skin colour.
Ok ok, so the fact that you are sourrounded by prejudice ppl in your daily life makes you feel like you should do the same? Dont you think that - taken the fact that you've seen the "light" - should be a better example? Why diss like everyone else?
To get back to the facts; ppl tell me that nigerians are
- only in europe to get paper so that
- they can get a job where they make good money so that
- they can send the money back home and show off with expensive cars, houses, clothes etc (or at least his family can) OR the wife back home can feed fufu to their 11 children
- that they cheat as they see sight of a skirt
- that they are all illegal
- all scammers.

I cud go on - but just to mention, this is NOT my view, this is some og the opinions I got from others!

1 Like

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 03, 2011
seedord247:

I think you are applying some make up to your brain this day. . . Thumps up

Try and get one for your brother tell-wisdom . . . . . so that he can post reasonable and sensible comment rather than blabbing all over the thread.
omo u wan chop slap abi? angry
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by seedord247(m): 9:06pm On Oct 03, 2011
JumGurl:

Haha,  Could you please provide me with the address of an belgian (speaking english is ok) igbo teacher? Good luck with that!

Ok ok, so the fact that you are sourrounded by prejudice ppl in your daily life makes you feel like you should do the same? Dont you think that - taken the fact that you've seen the "light" - should be a better example? Why diss like everyone else?
To get back to the facts; ppl tell me that nigerians are
- only in europe to get paper so that
- they can get a job where they make good money so that
- they can send the money back home and show off with expensive cars, houses, clothes etc (or at least his family can) OR the wife back home can feed fufu to their 11 children
- that they cheat as they see sight of a skirt
- that they are all illegal
- all scammers.

I cud go on - but just to mention, this is NOT my view, this is some og the opinions I got from others!

Madam . . . i don't wanna comment on your post but this your reply call me in.

All those things you mention above is true can you give me link to them.

and if you know Nigerians posses all those thing you mention why the positive curiosity about the handsome you wanna marry.

Note: Never accept any fact you search for on Google or Wikipedia because it was type in by someone like you and me.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 03, 2011
jumgurl pancake a$$ u want to start us nigerians on a nigerian site huh? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by seedord247(m): 9:14pm On Oct 03, 2011
lefulefu:

jumgurl pancake a$$ u want to start us nigerians on a nigerian site huh? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

wait you said you will slap meee. . . . if you see me you fit wait?. . . . No make me kill somebody here oooo
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 03, 2011
jumgirl the list u just gave about nigerian men is the hundred percent truth.The reason that many of us travel out is to make money and send it back to our families and yes i agree with you that many of the nigerian men who get married to white women do it for visa and not love.We really dont find anything attractive about white women and had it not been for visa or greencard then u would have been seeing less nigerian men getting married to white women.Dont be surprised u might find out in the later future that this your igbo boyfriend even has two wives back home in nigeria with a flock of kids .I would advise u to go date a black american man because from what i know blk american men have genuine interest in white girls.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man In Belgium by Serpentine(f): 9:20pm On Oct 03, 2011
I can only tell you from my view point. Most of the time he is talking in my language. I do not begrudge him being able to relax and talk to his friends in his language . What I do is ask him to tell me words when we are alone. I also found Nollywood movies on my tv, and when i am alone, I watch them to get a 'feel' for the flow of the conversation (subtitles help) . I also found websites that list words and even have sound bites for pronunciation. When he is talking with his friends, i can now understand some (not all) of what is said. I know I am in this for the long haul and I WANT to learn about his people, his foods and his words.

The translation pages I looked at were in English, but you could copy the english words into Google Translate to figure out what they are in your language.

I have heard all the stories about Nigerian men, but being on here, I have heard the bad  opinions of White women, and they make me laugh they are so far from true, so why should the stories told in our countries about african men be any different in their genralizations and exagerations?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chai! If I Were A Lady I Would Have Fallen For This Man! / I'm Shy Around Women, Please Help! / When She Is Curvaceous, The Feeling Is All Sensuous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.