Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,707 members, 7,813,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice (18756 Views)

How Do Husbands In Nigeria Cope When Their Wives Are Abroad? / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by naice: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2023
I find myself facing a difficult situation in my marriage and would greatly appreciate your insights and advice. The issue at hand revolves around my wife's unwillingness to listen to me. I'm at a loss as to why she behaves this way, and it's starting to take a toll on our relationship.

To provide some context, my wife has a strong-headed personality, which often leads to conflicts between us. No matter how gently I communicate my concerns or requests, she seems to disregard them and even does the opposite. This behavior frustrates me and leaves me questioning our compatibility.

One possible explanation I've considered is her background as an orphan. She lost her parents at a young age and had to take on the responsibility of caring for herself and her siblings. While I understand the challenges she faced, it seems like her self-reliance has translated into a resistance to accepting input or guidance from others, including me.

At this point, I have contemplated divorce, but there's a significant factor holding me back: our children. I love them deeply and cannot bear the thought of being separated from them. As much as her strong-headedness affects me, I firmly believe that domestic violence is never an option.

I'm reaching out to this community for reasonable opinions and advice on how to navigate this situation. Have any of you experienced a similar dynamic in your relationships? How did you cope with a spouse who doesn't listen? Are there effective strategies to foster better communication and understanding in such circumstances?

Thank you in advance for your support and guidance. Your insights will be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision about the future of my marriage."

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by taylor89(m): 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2023
cry

2 Likes

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by boldx(m): 6:11pm On Jun 27, 2023
Following. I will talk to you soon.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by talented321: 7:24pm On Jun 27, 2023
Bc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 27, 2023
I believe you know your wife very well, so I'd advice that you find her soft spot and use it against her, it works all the time.

I'm telling you this because I can be hard headed too... grin grin grin

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Foodqueen(f): 9:03pm On Jun 27, 2023
You ended up saying nothing.

Hit the nail on the head.

What's the problem gan-gan-gan.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by sholay2011(m): 9:21pm On Jun 27, 2023
Go for marital counselling please.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by frozen70(f): 9:52pm On Jun 27, 2023
naice:
I find myself facing a difficult situation in my marriage and would greatly appreciate your insights and advice. The issue at hand revolves around my wife's unwillingness to listen to me. I'm at a loss as to why she behaves this way, and it's starting to take a toll on our relationship.

To provide some context, my wife has a strong-headed personality, which often leads to conflicts between us. No matter how gently I communicate my concerns or requests, she seems to disregard them and even does the opposite. This behavior frustrates me and leaves me questioning our compatibility.

One possible explanation I've considered is her background as an orphan. She lost her parents at a young age and had to take on the responsibility of caring for herself and her siblings. While I understand the challenges she faced, it seems like her self-reliance has translated into a resistance to accepting input or guidance from others, including me.

At this point, I have contemplated divorce, but there's a significant factor holding me back: our children. I love them deeply and cannot bear the thought of being separated from them. As much as her strong-headedness affects me, I firmly believe that domestic violence is never an option.

I'm reaching out to this community for reasonable opinions and advice on how to navigate this situation. Have any of you experienced a similar dynamic in your relationships? How did you cope with a spouse who doesn't listen? Are there effective strategies to foster better communication and understanding in such circumstances?

Thank you in advance for your support and guidance. Your insights will be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision about the future of my marriage."

I was expecting you to make one or two relevant examples about her stubbornness but you skipped that part

Well you must have counseled her enough

You have to see yourself as the only ones standing in this circumstance

For you to live long for yourself and the children, just do what you can and move on

Any one you can't, just ignore it

You can force a horse to the stream but you can't force the horse to drink water

So just ignore her, life will teach her with experience

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Reminderz: 2:12am On Jun 28, 2023
if your wife doesn't listen to you, then she doesn't respect you... if your wife goes against your orders, then she doesn't regard you...

then what should you do especially when kids are involved? the solution is simple, if you don't want to divorce her due to the fact that kids are already involved, then get a second wife... if she doesn't change the way she acts after several attempts and warnings from you to get her back on track, if she doesn't do her responsibilities as your wife, then cease your responsibilities on her also and pay her less attention...

get a second wife and shift your focus.. your life is already filled with struggles as a man, do not let a woman whom you're feeding, clothing and sheltering give you HBP...

besides, you said she lost her parents at a young age, so maybe she has become "masculine" by trying to survive the situation she was in, so she doesn't see you as man enough to take orders from, it's either she sees you as weak or someone inferior to her to be respected... this is one of the issues a woman who wasn't raised in a stable environment or raised by a single parent mostly face.. you might not be able to change it... if you act weak and not masculine enough for her, she won't see you as someone worthy to be followed or respected...

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by yrhuhfy113: 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2023
naice:

NO WOMAN RESPECTS AND FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS OF A POOR WISE MAN

You need MONEY sir. That's all.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by naice: 3:34pm On Jul 08, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

NO WOMAN RESPECTS AND FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS OF A POOR WISE MAN

You need MONEY sir. That's all.
You responded to this following my recent topic. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by yrhuhfy113: 3:44pm On Jul 08, 2023
naice:

You responded to this following my recent topic. Thanks

Oh no, if it was by your recent TOPIC, I would have excluded "WISE".
because whoever wants to sell KIDNEY is veryyyyyyy unwise

PLEASE SIR, IF YOUR BRAIN WAS WORKING AS YOU MAY PRIDE YOURSELF TO BE SMART OR SENSIBLE, you would know that MAKING MONEY TAKES JUST 5 THINGS.

1) PRACTICAL INFORMATION
2) ASSOCIATION OF USEFUL & RESOURCEFUL FRIENDS(you don't have o)
3) WELL CALCULATED RISKS (you jump into things without taking time to LEARN or UNDERSTAND)
4) DIVINE INTERVENTION OF GOD'S MERCY (your relationship with GOD is OFF n ON, you came from a family of spiritual battles and married a lady who came from a family too of spiritual attacks, and you think things will be ok? no nau)
5) RESILIENCE- The "NEVER GIVE UP" Spirit (I know things have been confusing and twisted and slow, but pls don't give up, GOD LOVES YOU)

That's all

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by ahnie: 3:54pm On Jul 08, 2023
Samantha124:
I believe you know your wife [b]very well, so I'd advice that you find her soft spot and use it [/b]against her, it works all the time.

I'm telling you this because I can be hard headed too... grin grin grin
Sam,soft spots doesn't work all the time.
Na blackmailing be that.

4 Likes

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by ahnie: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2023
I just joined this WhatsApp group chat because of your comments cheesy
yrhuhfy113:

Oh no, if it was by your recent TOPIC, I would have excluded "WISE".
because whoever wants to sell KIDNEY is veryyyyyyy unwise

PLEASE SIR, IF YOUR BRAIN WAS WORKING AS YOU MAY PRIDE YOURSELF TO BE SMART OR SENSIBLE, you would know that MAKING MONEY TAKES JUST 5 THINGS.

1) PRACTICAL INFORMATION
2) ASSOCIATION OF USEFUL & RESOURCEFUL FRIENDS(you don't have o)
3) WELL CALCULATED RISKS (you jump into things without taking time to LEARN or UNDERSTAND)
4) DIVINE INTERVENTION OF GOD'S MERCY (your relationship with GOD is OFF n ON, you came from a family of spiritual battles and married a lady who came from a family too of spiritual attacks, and you think things will be ok? no nau)
5) RESILIENCE- The "NEVER GIVE UP" Spirit (I know things have been confusing and twisted and slow, but pls don't give up, GOD LOVES YOU)

That's all

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 08, 2023
Well, in order to blackmail someone, you need to first know his or her weak/soft point and use it against that person.

So it's one and the same thing.
ahnie:

Sam,soft spots doesn't work all the time.
Na blackmailing be that.

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Jul 08, 2023
naice:
One possible explanation I've considered is her background as an orphan. She lost her parents at a young age and had to take on the responsibility of caring for herself and her siblings. While I understand the challenges she faced, it seems like her self-reliance has translated into a resistance to accepting input or guidance from others, including me. At this point, I have contemplated divorce, but there's a significant factor holding me back: our children. I love them deeply and cannot bear the thought of being separated from them. As much as her strong-headedness affects me, I firmly believe that domestic violence is never an option.
I'm reaching out to this community for reasonable opinions and advice on how to navigate this situation. Have any of you experienced a similar dynamic in your relationships? How did you cope with a spouse who doesn't listen? Are there effective strategies to foster better communication and understanding in such circumstances? Thank you in advance for your support and guidance. Your insights will be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision about the future of my marriage."
Do you equally accept input and guidance from this wife of yours or are you one of those blockheads out there who think a woman is meant to be trained by her man in marriage, and all that other nonsense? If answer is No to equally accepting input and guidance from your wife, then there's no problem in your marriage at all. If Yes, then consider professional marriage counseling and then take it from there on what to do next. No need using kids as reason to remain in a relationship you seem no longer fully vested in. undecided

3 Likes

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by yrhuhfy113: 4:10pm On Jul 08, 2023
ahnie:
I just joined this WhatsApp group chat because of your comments cheesy
This NL not whatsapp o, I am barely in naija to be on any whatsapp group o.
Ha....

Madam ahnie of the most high, an undercover daughter of Zion herself. I GREET YOU.
So Nairaland CELEB like you can view my comment, wow.... one day when I grow, i will be celeb on NL like you oh.

Anyways, nice to see our famous anonymous lifestyle madam here.
I always wondered why you dont have a BLOG, VLOG YOUTUBE CHANNEL or Instagram.... all the VIEWS AND LIKES YOU HAVE ON NAIRALAND could actually pay you over there.

If you are worried about showing your face grin relax, you can always do a FACELESS youtube or instagam stuff and still get paid.

I hail and greet you once again ahnie, keep posting interesting comments for us BUT don't forget to make money from the traffic you have.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by ahnie: 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

This NL not whatsapp o, I am barely in naija to be on any whatsapp group o.
Ha....

Madam ahnie of the most high, an undercover daughter of Zion herself. I GREET YOU.
So Nairaland CELEB like you can view my comment, wow.... one day when I grow, i will be celeb on NL like you oh.

Anyways, nice to see our famous anonymous lifestyle madam here.
I always wondered why you dont have a BLOG, VLOG YOUTUBE CHANNEL or Instagram.... all the VIEWS AND LIKES YOU HAVE ON NAIRALAND could actually pay you over there.

If you are worried about showing your face grin relax, you can always do a FACELESS youtube or instagam stuff and still get paid.

I hail and greet you once again ahnie, keep posting interesting comments for us BUT don't forget to make money from the traffic you have.
I just left this famous WhatsApp group chat....I m unavailable before my YSSG'S fans go drag me.you know say my comments dey trigger them like erigga cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Purvan(m): 9:32am On Jul 09, 2023
She's not happy in that marriage

Find a way to make her happy ( spoil her to the core)

You can book a couple massage for both of you with refreshments after you buy her favourite things

After this , she'll be all ears to listen to you more than ever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by ahnie: 10:25am On Jul 09, 2023
Shey na money them take dey buy all those things you listed?
Purvan:
She's not happy in that marriage

Find a way to make her happy ( spoil her to the core)

You can book a couple massage for both of you with refreshments after you buy her favourite things

After this , she'll be all ears to listen to you more than ever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Purvan(m): 10:32am On Jul 09, 2023
ahnie:
Shey na money them take dey buy all those things you listed?

Yes na
Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by ahnie: 11:28am On Jul 09, 2023
Purvan:

Yes na
So what if he's cash strap?
He just gatz change his bad character,then the wife would listen to him when she notices he has changed for good.

It's a simple cee2ation.
Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by phemmyfour: 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
naice:

Talk about it, don't command her. Respect her opinion and let her know why you think your opinion is better. Respect is reciprocal, you don't demand for it. You ve got to earn it.

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by kingsways: 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
It's not an easy situation

I'm not sure what you can do with a full grown adult if she refuses to listen or take instructions

I'm also not sure but DIVORCE might be the appropriate thing here. Cause it's difficult to see how you can proceed where you have two captains in one boat and they are in disagreement with each other on what route to take

Divorce though is also not an attractive option as you already know cause children are involved

No easy way bro, if you find the answer you seek, please let me know; I also have the same problem. I'm not sure exactly what's the problem with these women

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by NaijaCover(m): 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
I will start immediately to dey post Bad News

As A Professional Blogger, That Be

No Time, To start dey vex for any woman ooo
Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by saphiere(f): 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
naice:

1. You are a dictator. Unfortunately you got married to a stubborn person whom you can't control or dictate for. Since you cannot told her into your pocket has you men do, you become frustrated.

2. Of course she will do the opposite because what you want her to do is not to her benefits or the benefit of the children. Man is selfish by nature. So whatever you want her to do is not to her benefit. Just your selfish interest. Because I see no reason she will do the opposite.

3. Why do I feel you've been carrying out the domestic violence on her before now? Or you just want to do it and you're here to seek for validation?

Guys I need a job. Not easy to keep up with the life as a girl child. So many bills to pay.
Hair
Pads
Creame
Dresses
Food
Etc

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by wwwkaycom(m): 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Hello
Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by Lannyjoe4u: 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Stop talking
Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by APCNig: 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
No coping.

You will end up splitting.

People who do not take correction are not supposed to be in a relationship with any human

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by atheistandproud(m): 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Meh

Didn't you court her before marriage?

Please ladies and gentlemen, whatever red flags you see in courtship will not improve in marriage. They'll only get worse.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Your Spouse Doesn't Listen: Seeking Advice by xristos(m): 12:46pm On Jul 09, 2023
Hmmmm.,.
Here to read comments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Must A Girl Marry???? / My Stepmother Wants To Sleep With Me / See What A Woman Had To Pass Through To Support Her Family.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.