Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,965 members, 7,810,675 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN (24330 Views)

Multinational Companies Exit Nigeria Amid High Operating Cost / Simon Ekpa: Biafra Will Exit Nigeria Peacefully Or By War / Northern Groups: Allow Igbos Exit Nigeria Now Through Peaceful Referendum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by ijustdey: 7:42am On Jun 30, 2023

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) has warned that implementation of the proposed hike in electricity tariff by power distribution companies may force more multinational companies to relocate their factories outside Nigeria.

President of MAN, Francis Meshioye, who gave the warning while speaking to newsmen, noted that some international manufacturing firms had already exited the country due to the harsh operating environment including power crisis, adding that any further hike in tariff would lead to an exodus of companies, and thus called on the government to reconsider the move.

Recall that various public notices from some of the electricity distribution companies, DisCos, had stated that the electricity tariff would be raised by about 30 to 40 per cent for selected categories of consumers with effect from July 1, 2023.

They have, however, backtracked on their earlier announcement of a tariff hike, stating that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had yet to approve the hike.

Meshioye stated: “In every system there’s always a core structure and this includes the elements that make up the total cost spent in generating your revenue. Now, what we experience as manufacturers is that energy cost is a major cost in processing our products.

“The downsizing of businesses in Nigeria, for instance, shows that businesses are not doing very well. So this power issue and other things have made some manufacturers, particularly international businessmen to relocate from Nigeria to other countries.

“Therefore anything to reduce this energy cost will be very beneficial both to manufacturers and the masses in general. So it (power) is a high cost to us, and a major driver in terms of cost. At the same time, it could lead to other things.

“It is one of the things that make some manufacturers to seek to move their business to another region and site their factories there. It is not the only reason, but, of course, it is one of the major ones.”

On other reasons that might make manufacturers to exit Nigeria, Meshioye said: “We have the unpredictability of the foreign exchange rate. In a business model, the more predictable the forex, the better you are. But the availability of the forex itself is another thing. All these are problems that border manufacturers.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/electricity-tariff-more-multinational-companies-may-exit-nigeria-man/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by TemplarLandry: 7:43am On Jun 30, 2023

101 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Gajagojo: 7:45am On Jun 30, 2023
Where is electricity cheaper than Nigeria that they will go?

53 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by vastolord4(m): 7:46am On Jun 30, 2023
SAI Tinubu.. no steady light to run big businesses the alternative is petrol or diesel which is expensive.. can solar power a 17 floor building with heavy quipments in each floor?

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by JasonScoolari: 7:46am On Jun 30, 2023
May this hike in electricity tariff favor me and my family.

336 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Parachoco: 7:47am On Jun 30, 2023
I don't believe this

A lot of Multinationals are making lots of money and are capable of generating their power.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by taylor89(m): 7:51am On Jun 30, 2023
Parachoco:
I don't believe this

A lot of Multinationals are making lots of money and are capable of generating their power.

When you go get sense guy

Them just employ you for this APC 30k work body just dey sweet you

Your fellow miscreants dey avoid this kind porous thread but you’ll always wanna jump on all thread and be shooting yourself in the leg

Make them no sack you oo

If no be say them dey ban person for this forum i for say make Thunder fire you

271 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by SmartPolician: 7:53am On Jun 30, 2023
JasonScoolari:

You cannot claim to love your country and be jubiliating when you read bad news about it.

Yes, I campaigned and voted for Peter Obi too, but always rejoicing whenever you read bad news about Nigeria shows you never loved the country in the first place!

You guys need to check yourselves!

47 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by helinues: 7:55am On Jun 30, 2023
May?

Abeg where in June jo

113 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by JasonScoolari: 7:55am On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:

You cannot claim to love your country and be jubiliating when you read bad news about it.

Yes, I campaigned and voted for Peter Obi too, but always rejoicing whenever you read bad news about Nigeria shows you never loved the country in the first place!

Are you sure you're normal? How is my innocent prayer of "Favor" your headache?

Who asked you who you campaigned or voted for?

Na you love Nigeria pass na. Rubbish. grin

197 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 30, 2023
APC is indirectly pushing young people more into yahoo yahoo, kidnapping, food and drug adulteration, human trafficking, money ritual, and every illicit way of trying to make money, while they feed fat on our taxes.

It's easier to destroy than to build.

By the time, these investors relocate to Ghana and other neighbouring countries, and young Nigerians want to japa for greener pastures, you'll start making silly laws to stop them. Whereas your own children are overseas enjoying the best of life.

Na God go punish una

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Femisol(m): 8:14am On Jun 30, 2023
These BuLaba times Ehn, people will sell their bed to still eat.

This is just like SAP of Babangida’s regime.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by a4cube: 8:21am On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:

Where is the jubilation?

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:

Nigeria's woes are too plenty at this time. If you have to soak up every tragic news over this country, your BP will be at huge risk.

It's better to take them with relieving jokes like he did.

By the way, his comment was meant to troll those indirectly begging us to move on/accept the faulty foundation that produced druggie as president

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by christejames(m): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2023
May the hike Favour me and my family 😂 😂 😂

Propaganda doesn't run government 😏!

On a serious note, these companies should do themselves the ultimate favour of moving to the east to set up their companies because the future is in the east with the enormous untapped gas reserves and whatnots.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by fx45(m): 8:26am On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:

Just for praying that the proposed increase in electricity tariff will favour him and his family? Like seriously What is wrong with the prayer? Do you want him to pray for the increment to destroy him and his family?

By the way, I'm not sure you supported Peter Obi... Cos I see absolutely no reason for bringing him into this particular conversation

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Lanretoye(m): 8:27am On Jun 30, 2023
Will the improving electricity supply not subsidize for cost of running generators.most of us agree that there has been relative improvement in power supply recently.
kayone2:

Nigeria's woes are too plenty at this time. If you have to soak up every tragic news over about the country, your BP is at risk.

It's better to add take them with relieving jokes like he did.

By the way, his comment was meant to troll those indirectly begging us to move on accept the faulty foundation that produced druggie as president
if u say hike in electricity tariff is tragic then I guess u need a checkup.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Parachoco: 8:29am On Jun 30, 2023
taylor89:

When I go get sense

Why will a Company like Guinness or Coca Cola leave Nigeria? The Multinational are wealthy, they have the capacity to generate there power supply, so they will all be fine, no serious multinational will leave Nigeria at this moment, when power was horrible, they were surviving, they will also survive now.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by OKOATA(m): 8:29am On Jun 30, 2023
JasonScoolari:
Are you sure you're normal? How is my innocent prayer of "Favor" your headache?

Who asked you who you campaigned or voted for?

Na you love Nigeria pass na. Rubbish. grin

The guy oversabi too much..

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by JasonScoolari: 8:32am On Jun 30, 2023
OKOATA:
The guy oversabi too much..
Him dey find who him one use gather "LIKES" and "SHARES"

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by OKOATA(m): 8:38am On Jun 30, 2023
JasonScoolari:
Him dey find who him one use gather "LIKES" and "SHARES"
He calls himself Obedient but I was trolling an agbado guy before the election the SMARTpolitician guy sharply reported me to the mods, since then I knew he's a bloody liar.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Zupay: 8:50am On Jun 30, 2023
Parachoco:

Why will a Company like Guinness or Coca Cola leave Nigeria? The Multinational are wealthy, they have the capacity to generate there power supply, so they will all be fine, no serious multinational will leave Nigeria at this moment, when power was horrible, they were surviving, they will also survive now.

See excuse, they should generate their own power supply when the cost of production is already high! Shebi the werey below who is a hardcore APCian, still dey UK?

12 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by ROYALFRAGRANCE(f): 8:51am On Jun 30, 2023
Toorr

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Parachoco: 9:16am On Jun 30, 2023
Zupay:

See excuse, they should generate their own power supply when the cost of production is already high! Shebi the werey below who is a hardcore APCian, still dey UK?
The ones that can generate will generate there power, the ones that can't generate will buy.

Operating in Nigeria without regular power supply is also expensive. Multinationals won't leave.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Zupay: 9:33am On Jun 30, 2023
Parachoco:
The ones that can generate will generate there power, the ones that can't generate will buy.

Operating in Nigeria without regular power supply is also expensive. Multinationals won't leave.

Those that won't leave pass the high cost of production to the consumers, where the overwhelming majority have very fixed low income.... purchasing power depleting by the day.....how are the poor masses benefitting from it?🤔

11 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by jmoore(m): 9:55am On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:

Check yourself. Why not say amen to the harmless prayer?

You love Nigeria but you are rejecting favour. Are you okay?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by Dougad: 11:32am On Jun 30, 2023
JasonScoolari:

I love how this quote dey pepper agbadorians for body 🤣🤣🤣

Na only una family e go favour before

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by clearcrystal: 12:35pm On Jun 30, 2023
ijustdey:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/electricity-tariff-more-multinational-companies-may-exit-nigeria-man/

Most multinationals manufacturing companies generate their own electricity mostly with Gas generators.
Most companies don't use public supply because it's unreliable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff: More Multinational Companies May Exit Nigeria — MAN by DatNiggaDaz: 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2023
SmartPolician:

Na wa o, wetin that guy write wey dey pain you for bodi lile this

Who cares who you voted for bro

22 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

El-Rufai Visits Vice-President, Osinbajo Today / EFCC Arrests Uzoho Casmir, Imo Accountant, Accuses Okorocha Of Diverting N1bn / President Buhari Condoles With Fasoranti Over Daughter’s Killing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.