Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,508 members, 7,823,191 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years (30313 Views)

How Can I Handle My Younger Brother / She Barely Cooked For Me But She Was Hailing Hilda / How Do I Handle A Husband Who Wants To Have Sex Almost Everyday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:04pm On Jul 02, 2023
Vinnie2000:

My Brother, let me Tell you the TRUTH. smiley

You have to Start Spanking and Raising ur voice Real hard @him. sad

Explain things to ur Wife and again, Don't be Afraid he will Hate you.

Go to your Child's school and see how he may be humble, meek and Obedient to a 'Wicked' teacher. shocked🀨

Some Children need Hard DISCIPLINE to make them comport themselves.πŸ˜•

I Always Tell Pple, Once you Observe ur Child is Stubborn and sometimes Violent,
Quickly start spanking and Correcting o.

A word is enough for the wise. πŸ™‚
You are right.

I once flogged him, I think in May, and it was the first time, do you know this boy always remind me that Daddy you flogged me the other day, Daddy you are wicked, I was shocked to my bone marrow. I do raise my voice on him whenever I am around and he misbehaves or tries to prove stubborn, but I am worried that only yelling and spanking would correct him, I really don't like spanking kids right from when I was small.

And someone once told me that if a child becomes used to spanking as a means of correcting him, he would develop anti pains and spanking will never work on him again, and that such kids grow up to become daring stubborn teenagers.

Sometimes I just wish I could pray this issue awayΒ·
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Shattuck(m): 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mister123:
Hello guys. Greetings to you. Please don't mind muy grammar, I'm not here for English classes lol.
My first child's almost 3years, trust me that girl can be playing and roaming about 24/7. As long as she's not asleep, her mum and I are always talking, don't do this, don't do that. Sometimes I lose my cool you know. I'm planing to enroll her into a conventional school by September because she seems really smart. My question here is, how do I handle her, she can't just stay in one place and our apartment is not really safe for her to be playing outside.
Parents and expert in the house please assist a brother with an idea of what to do.
Thank you
it comes with the age, I have a nephew who is just about same age, these kids are some of the widest creatures. Just keep her protected from harm, hopefully she grows out of the hyper active stage soon.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Mindlog: 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
Lovelyn451:
don't even know what to do, I put her chair BTW my legs until she's done eating, hold her head down so she can finish writing her homework, she sits with me in the kitchen while cooking, I just keep sending her to bring one thing or the other,yesterday I kept yelling dont do this, dont go there until i got so exhausted and slept off, babe turned the house to swimming pool.... cry

Is she also hyperactive in school?

Has her teacher complained of disruptive behaviour in class?

Have you ever brought that up with the doctor you take her to whenever she is sick?

Of these three, which does she exhibit more: hyperactiviness, inattentiveness (struggles with concentration) and impulsiveness?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Tulsaguy: 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mister123:
Hello guys. Greetings to you. Please don't mind muy grammar, I'm not here for English classes lol.
My first child's almost 3years, trust me that girl can be playing and roaming about 24/7. As long as she's not asleep, her mum and I are always talking, don't do this, don't do that. Sometimes I lose my cool you know. I'm planing to enroll her into a conventional school by September because she seems really smart. My question here is, how do I handle her, she can't just stay in one place and our apartment is not really safe for her to be playing outside.
Parents and expert in the house please assist a brother with an idea of what to do.
Thank you

The only way dear is to keep them busy with assignments. That's the way I tame my baby.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:12pm On Jul 02, 2023
Princelyod:
Reduce carb and sugar intake

Mister123

I second this. Excessive sugar intake makes a toddler hyperactive.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Donpenny(m): 3:13pm On Jul 02, 2023
I have a daughter of similar age with such behaviour. What i did was i enrolled her in sch when she was 2yrs she will be 3 by nov. Most of her play now is with her mate in sch by the time she get home she is tired she will take her nap and when she wake up she has a tab for educative catoons to engage her for the rest of the day. With all these i and her mum now have time for our daily business.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by folake4u(f): 3:14pm On Jul 02, 2023
descarado:

Let kids be kids. The only thing they need from you at that age is the right food and enabling environment to play. Let them play away. They will settle with time. We start this so called training so early yet here we are.
Children need confidence at that age than grades. A big mistake we Nigerians make everyday.
Trust me, if like 50% of Nigerians built self confidence as kids, we won't be were we are in the community of nations at all.
So let them enjoy life and have fun at tender age. That is building character.
Unconventional and the most important part of training.

You know, I have learnt a lot when I go to parents meeting. The teacher and psychologists are always there and of course as a Nigerian parent, I started worrying why grades were not the way I want them when I was in naija bla bla bla. (Fast forward, these kids just set their own rules and I see them outdo themselves in this same grades I was initially worried about.)
That was when I was schooled that the method we use in naija to train kids is what breeds low self esteem we have all over. The teachers and psychologists insisted that I Allow kids to play and have fun
A they age, they sort out their lives. That is development going on there on how to build their future. When we force them to study this and that, become geniuses at tender age so we can gloat( we don't know their personality yet) we are subduing and bullying them. Kids need freedom.

It's even better when we act their age with them. Loads of self confident children.
Kids need confidence not grades is a mantra we should learn to use in Nigeria so Nigeria can turn around as our problem is purely psychological.
(An average Nigerian think that oyibo is superior.
That's lack of confidence. And then as they grow, low self esteem. Our men have the biggest low self esteem in this world
Check out how it started)
They teach their kids confidence while we concentrate on grades. Look at where we are today. Grades don't build a society. Confidence do.

You have made valid points actually.

But do you think these will work in a typical Nigerian environment?
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:16pm On Jul 02, 2023
descarado:

That is controlling behaviour not hyperactivity and you should set the rule and maintain it that if he crosses boundaries again, there should be consequences. No beating but withdraw privileges.
Kids are the easiest to deal with in this world. As you lead them, they will follow you like zombie.

I tried adopting a child in Nigeria before I travelled out and was scammed a huge sum of money and these people want to give me stolen child. Gosh. Very bitter experience and a pastor I cherish so much did this. Assuming I was desperately looking for a child, I will be with stolen child. Adoption is what I had wanted since I came of age but naija being what it is, it's well.
I envy you. Wish I was the one that adopted that gal.
Yes my son seems to have this controlling behavior even in his school lol.

One day I went to pick him up from school myself, something funny happened lol.

This boy was just 2yrs plus then, I got to his class, he was playing with some of his classmates, and immediately he sighted me, he screamed; Daaaaddyy! and ran to meet me, so his class teacher smiled and went and brought his lunch box from his school wardobe or sth and handed it to him, he was already carrying his school backpack on his back. Guess what dis boy did? He carried the lunch box back to his classroom wardrobe and put it back and angrily carried it back from there to meet me lol.

I asked him why did you do that? He said nope, I want to carry my yonch boz masef cheesy

The class teacher laughed and told me that she forgot that my son like doing things by himself lol, he doesn't like anybody helping him lol.

At home, you dare not turn on the TV when he is there, he will go and turn it off and turn it on by himself.

He doesn't like anybody to feed him except the aged Nanny, and he can barely feed himself lol. If at all he agrees to be fed, he would tell you the person he wants to feed him, and if you refuse he will never eat even if you force him, he will not swallow whatever you give him.

So you are right, he is controlling and it seems I need to toughen up and start the spanking now before things gets out of control angry

As for adoption in Nigeria, its not easy, but if you follow the right channel and organization it works.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by EriMma1: 3:18pm On Jul 02, 2023
Tulsaguy:

The only way dear is to keep them busy with assignments. That's the way I tame my baby.

She won't be able to concentrate or calm down and do the homework. You have to
cut or remove anything sugar from her diet and watch her her until it normalizes. Then you can reintroduce it again but gradually so there won't be sugar spikes again.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2023
EriMma1:
As an experienced early child educator, such traits are common among children within that age 3-4 up to 7 years old. It gets worse at age 4 and there is just one simple way to handle it.

The only way to tame such hyperactivity in them is by reducing their Sugar intake. Trust me, it works

Over the years in my practice in Early child Education those days before I went to be on my own, we do advice parents to cut down on their wards sugar intake whenever we notice the child becoming too restless cos it affects their focus and concentration abilities and it works like magic.

So try this for a week.
Don't give her any juice or children drink that contains concentrated sugar.
Don't give sugary milk.
However if you notice she's becoming too slow and getting weak ( don't be scared, it's normal), you can then be adding it back to her diet like once or twice in a week.

Lovelyn451
Wow, interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Sprints3: 3:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
Princelyod:
Reduce carb and sugar intake
follow this comment hyperactive children are not sign of smartness please don't associate smartness with juvenile restlessness. When the kid grows up he/she will have attention problem. Reduce her blue screen TV smartphones 2hrs TV show is okay anything more you want to destroy your child. Engage her in drawing, let her play with legos buy enough, let her colour buy her sketches to trace and colour. Reduce her sugar intake don't give your kids artificial sugar. Buy the child tricycle let her cycle round the compound.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Vinnie2000(m): 3:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
franchasofficia:
You are right.

I once flogged him, I think in May, and it was the first time, do you know this boy always remind me that Daddy you flogged me the other day, Daddy you are wicked, I was shocked to my bone marrow. I do raise my voice on him whenever I am around and he misbehaves or tries to prove stubborn, but I am worried that only yelling and spanking would correct him, I really don't like spanking kids right from when I was small.

And someone once told me that if a child becomes used to spanking as a means of correcting him, he would develop anti pains and spanking will never work on him again, and that such kids grow up to become daring stubborn teenagers.

Sometimes I just wish I could pray this issue awayΒ·

Hahahaha. cheesy cheesy

Who say small Pikin no get sense. πŸ˜„

You have a very Smart Kid. He is blackmailing you Emotionally (Pardon the language).
And Most kids do that. πŸ™‚

The Simple Truth Remains: They need DISCIPLINE.

The School close to me, If the HeadTeacher is around, NO SINGLE CHILD makes peem and you won't see more 2 students Strolling around.🀨

I Hear she told the Students that 2 CANNOT come out to Use the Restroom @the same time .
Once I am passing, I see some Students Running around, I know she is Away.πŸ™‚

Even my Neighbour's Kids, On Weekends, If the Man is around, you can't hear a Single sound.
But Once he goes out, You Hear them Shouting and singing Funny Tunes. smiley cheesy

You are the Father. Be FIRM plz! Go Learn or Practice It! sad
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by descarado: 3:23pm On Jul 02, 2023
franchasofficia:

This boy was just 2yrs plus then, I got to his class, he was playing with some of his classmates, and immediately he sighted me, he screamed; Daaaaddyy! and ran to meet me, so his class teacher smiled and went and brought his lunch box from his school wardobe or sth and handed it to him, he was already carrying his school backpack on his back. Guess what dis boy did? He carried the lunch box back to his classroom wardrobe and put it back and angrily carried it back from there to meet me lol.

I asked him why did you do that? He said nope, I want to carry my yonch boz masef cheesy

The class teacher laughed and told me that she forgot that my son like doing things by himself lol, he doesn't like anybody helping him lol.

At home, you dare not turn on the TV when he is there, he will go and turn it off and turn it on by himself.

He doesn't like anybody to feed him except the aged Nanny, and he can barely feed himself lol. If at all he agrees to be fed, he would tell you the person he wants to feed him, and if you refuse he will never eat even if you force him, he will not swallow whatever you give him.

So you are right, he is controlling and it seems I need to toughen up and start the spanking now before things gets out of control angry

As for adoption in Nigeria, its not easy, but if you follow the right channel and organization it works.
No spanking. Just correction and withdrawing privileges pls.
He is an independent soul and just need guidance.
A great boy you have there. Let him sulk. It's a cold war. Don't allow that to breed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Vinnie2000(m): 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2023
Sprints3:
follow this comment hyperactive children are not sign of smartness please don't associate smartness with juvenile restlessness. When the kid grows up he/she will have attention problem. Reduce her blue screen TV smartphones 2hrs TV show is okay anything more you want to destroy your child. Engage her in drawing, let her play with legos buy enough, let her colour buy her sketches to trace and colour. Reduce her sugar intake don't give your kids artificial sugar. Buy the child tricycle let her cycle round the compound.

Kudos to you. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

You have said it All. smiley

Hyperactive but Destroying and spoiling Things around. embarassed sad

An Hyperactive Child needs to be Engaged in constructive and Sensible plays. πŸ€¨πŸ™‚
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by zedman1(m): 3:25pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mister123:
Thank you
You just described the situation we're going through with our son a 100%. EVERYTHING you wrote up there is what I'd write if i'm asked to write about my son. The ONLY difference I see here is the gender. Even the age bracket too, he just turned three. Na wah o.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by descarado: 3:26pm On Jul 02, 2023
folake4u:

You have made valid points actually.

But do you think these will work in a typical Nigerian environment?
That's why we are preaching it babe.
We can never get it right when we don't get the training right.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by folake4u(f): 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2023
descarado:

That's why we are preaching it babe.
We can never get it right when we don't get the training right.

Absolutely. kiss
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:29pm On Jul 02, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Hahahaha. cheesy cheesy

Who say small Pikin no get sense. πŸ˜„

You have a very Smart Kid. He is blackmailing you Emotionally (Pardon the language).
And Most kids do that. πŸ™‚

The Simple Truth Remains: They need DISCIPLINE.

The School close to me, If the HeadTeacher is around, NO SINGLE CHILD makes peem and you won't see more 2 students Strolling around.🀨

I Hear she told the Students that 2 CANNOT come out to Use the Restroom @the same time .
Once I am passing, I see some Students Running around, I know she is Away.πŸ™‚

Even my Neighbour's Kids, On Weekends, If the Man is around, you can't hear a Single sound.
But Once he goes out, You Hear them Shouting and singing Funny Tunes. smiley cheesy

You are the Father. Be FIRM plz! Go Learn or Practice It! sad
This is gonna be hard for me but I will try cos I really need to tame him now cos the guy is too smart and rarely forget things.

He do come to me to also complain that his mom shouted at him the other day...seems he doesn't know what is yesterday and tomorrow, so he uses phrases like "the other day", "that day", etc to narrate past events lol.

He also reports his older sis whenever she tells him shut up, he hates that word "shut up" like mad.

God will help me

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
descarado:

No spanking. Just correction and withdrawing privileges pls.
He is an independent soul and just need guidance.
A great boy you have there. Let him sulk. It's a cold war. Don't allow that to breed.
Thanks bro, I will try. I really pray things work out fine before he turns 5
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Sambai65(m): 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
franchasofficia:
Lol, my son's own can be annoying oh lol. He even beat his little sis that's just 1yr, and fights our adopted daughter that's 11yrs, like no minute without him crying to you about one thing his baby sis did or the bigger sis did or something.

I am praying to God seriously to please help me make the boy no grow with this kind behavior cos it may turn to being too stubborn and God knows I wasn't stubborn as a child to my parents.

I love active kids but his own can be frustrating
Bro thank God that he didn't behave like Mumu ,congrats
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Gabriel411: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
franchasofficia:

Your son might have OCD. See a paediatrician.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by SmartPolician: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mister123:
Thank you

The moment you enroll her in school, you can go to sleep. That's because their teachers know how to manage such kids. That's why they are specialists. Please make sure it's a good school.

Besides, by the time she starts schooling, you will be getting enough rest because whenever she goes through academic exercises in school, she will come home very tired. Afterwards, bathe her and she will sleep off.

The next time she wakes up, it is already late in the evening. Feed her and she will sleep off again. I have a nephew like that. I call him the destroyer grin.

So, enrolling your daughter in school will naturally get her exhausted and she won't have enough energy to play around whenever she comes home.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2023
Sambai65:
Bro thank God that he didn't behave like Mumu ,congrats
lol grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by franchasofficia: 3:35pm On Jul 02, 2023
Gabriel411:

Your son might have OCD. See a paediatrician.
The mom ought to know better cos that's her field lol, but I doubt.

He just likes to be in charge. He likes to make decisions, though I kinda like it but sometimes he goes overboard, thanks for the suggestion, will call wifey attention to it
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by xenten: 3:47pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mister123:
Thank you

She is at the stage called "Troublesome Two". She is exhibiting normal character of a two year old. They are restless and inquisitive. Get her engaged with cartoons, color and picture books. Engage her don't stifle her.

Get her nursery rhymes video and audio materials.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by ComeToJesus: 3:48pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mister123:
Thank you

It's typical of some kids. We are all wired differently.

It could also be early signs of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD. It could be remedied clinically and with some modifications from parents/carers.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by Goalnaldo(m): 3:50pm On Jul 02, 2023
Parenting is not easy o. See as fear just catch me reading comments.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by liverpudian9(m): 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2023
Even my one yr old son is her active ,he started jumping at 4months ,the first word he altered was my daddy , he is extremely active with fast growth ,he has 14tooth ,only that we make sure all dangerous object are kept out of us reach
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by adabaraabdul: 4:00pm On Jul 02, 2023
People are funny here, this man asked for a genuine advice and some people think he isnt happy with how his daughter turned out. He is asking for how best he can manage his smart and very active daughter. My own take is for him to enroll her in any sporting activities he thinks she might like and also engage her in lots of extracurricular activities like art and music classes. All the best brother.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by SpicyMimi(f): 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2023
grin Reduce sugar.

Give kids sugar and watch them jump up and down.
Re: How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years by greatefa1011(m): 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2023
I have one here she is now 4yrs in nursery 2. They thing is that she can worry everyone inrespective of your age, they are friendly, no dull moment. Whenever you noticed a dull moment in her examine her. InShort, during pregnancy it was like that, and assumed her to be a male child. Six month after deliver she quacked her mom nipples and her mom angrily slapped her mouth two fingers this girl refused taking breast milk till date. All you need is pray let God guide and protect them. When am watching movies or listening to news she comes next Daddy, mummy is calling you. As I step she change to cartoon. It's so funny. It's in there nature correct them when going/doing bad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / Should A Woman Help Her FiancΓ© To Pay Her Bride Price? / My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.