Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,534 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English (36131 Views)

Lagos Commences Distribution Of Palliatives To Citizens / Ondo Election: Analytics Of Official Results As Announced By INEC / Magu Moves His Personal Belongings Out Of Official Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Osilama1: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2023
LegendHero:

That’s correct. All state must follow suit.

But in the South, we need an official language just as the North where Hausa is spoken across the entire 19 Northern states.

I have a proposal of adopting Yoruba as the official language of the South. What do you think?
only In the south west ll Yoruba be official language ok.. except na issue Ina few find we have over 50 languages in South... take note

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Levels2(f): 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2023
Long overdue.

Kudo's.

Yoruba lagba

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by saintrow1: 12:03pm On Jul 12, 2023
Khyrvxjzy:

how about if we do another 1967 and ibos are killed?

Loooooooooooooooooooool you want to finally send ibos into extinction looool

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by REDshouse(m): 12:15pm On Jul 12, 2023
luluman:
See mumu, no mans Lands yet yoruba decides for the Land.
oga ade I be Yoruba so calm ur innermost mind down.... Lagos can only belong to Yoruba only....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by misano(m): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2023
soullove1881:

Let me educate you kid! First, I don't live in SW but your submission show you're still living in trenches.
In movie industry, Yorubas is still leading.
Stay calm and check top 100 movies of ATB like, Wedding party, Figurine, 30 days in Atlanta, October 1, The CEO, Omo getho, Alakada, Prophetess, Buka on the street, Ayinla, Phone Swap, King of boys, Gang of Lagos etc. Just think about any solid movies and the slangs that comes out of it. They all mostly produced by Yorubas. You literally have forgotten that Nollywood English is a bit divided, The Classic and the normal. YORUBAS ARE IN CONTROL OF THE CLASSIC while Other tribes like (The Asabahood) are in control of Normal. The movie like 'A king is running after his maid. The title alone don explain the entire movie 😂😂😂

Even in Tech, Give it to Yorubas; FCMB founder, GTB, even FBN CEO etc. are all Yorubas. Just like in internet space; Nairaland, Naijaloaded, Flutterwave, Paystack etc. so talking about their commercial is not just because they are controlling this space but because they are naturally blessed.
An average Yoruba Man don't cry on the internet like una. Give an average Igbo man 100M nah to dey disrespect everyone and Living above his means. But give the same money to a Yoruba or an Hausa Man, you won't know say he get shinshin. Proudness no dey their body. You can see how Olamide is lifting up others without shouting over it.
Maybe that's why we are yet to see any Igbo man in the Forbes list of world billionaire.

These movies U listed are not Yoruba movies. They are Nollywood. The main star in Wedding Party is Edo so how is that a Yoruba movie.

They are Yoruba movies that speak Yoruba dialect. Talk of those ones not movies directed by Yoruba man and produced by Igbo man.
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by sogodihno: 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2023
Kalakulu:

Yaribanza clown!

Go to any top 10 African nations today that are familiar with Nigerian mainstream cultures especially popular phrases they learned from Nollywood movies, do a survey and ask them certain Igbo vs Yaribanza words- then record your feedbacks cause if you're honest with your survey, you will find out that majority of the popular Nigerian slangs and native words that they know will be predominantly Igbo words cause they watch more of Osuofia, Aki & Pawpaw, Mr Ibu etc movies.

The fact that you mentioned Portable in your rants prove my point, garbage artists with zero talents that simply ride on the wave of yoruba dominated Lagos media hype, same way another below average artist like Seyi Vibez always get hyped- yet na only yoruba street touts dey listen to his Afro-incantation incoherent rubbish.

Wizkid was actually announced to the world by the P square brothers when he was coming into the game, Davido's manager (Asa Asika) na Igbo boy, same with Olamide's manager,one of Davido's biggest hit song "IF" was written and directed by Tekno an Igbo boy...see the pattern? There was always an Igbo involved in the success of yoruba successful musicians today.

Egbon, I'll rather sit-at-home in my own land eating Nkwobi and chilling with my family on Monday after making all my money for the week rather than suffer the indelible stigma of one EMIR instructing me to cancel a cultural festival on my own land. At least Owo in Ondo state where over 50 people were massacred during Sunday service didn't happen in the SE last time I checked! cheesy

I don't want to respond to you before, but the owo you mention will allow me to indulge you, do you see the list of those that were massacred in Owo, more than 70% of them are igbos, if your brain is not damaged you should know this, and go and deliver your parents from Simon Ekpa boys that flog and rape them at will.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Wuyepson50: 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2023
When Bauchi adopted Hausa as second official language, y'all called them illitrates yesterday.
The last time I checked officials in China, Russia, Saudi Arabia,Japan, Germany, Netherlands etc all give interviews in their languages !

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by myrates: 12:20pm On Jul 12, 2023
OldBeer:
The government of Lagos state has begun the issuance of vital information to its populace in Egun, Yoruba and English.
Critics say this new development may not be unconnected with the 2023 elections that sprung up surprises in the state.
It is yet to be seen if this will become the modus operandi of the state going forward.
Good one Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Chucks13: 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2023
Well supported 100% whoever not please kindly return to your village in peace.

I'm not originally from SW but I'm proudly born in SW and I will support them with every strenght in me in their defense against any ingrate invaders threatening their existence.

Iffyoy like quote and say shit sorry for wasting your data I don't give a f u c k.

I repeat anyone not pls with this development pls kindly return to you village....

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by TVTM2023: 12:26pm On Jul 12, 2023
[left]A good development but its a sign the nation has failed Yoruba's so now they start to build from within!!!
Truth is if not for colonization,things would have been better since than this.
The thing is it is very hard at this moment because history was erased out of the education system.
My mother said they were teaching both Hausa Igbo and Yoruba in schools back then before it was erased!!
It is good but let English be spoken in offices that is all
This could have began next year but don't blame them .I feel apart from it all,it also has a political undertone!!!
If we all understand our selves there would not be a need for it at all but in inter tribal meetings what would they now be speaking
Nigeria has truly collapsed!!
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Cooly100: 12:26pm On Jul 12, 2023
myrates:
Good one Lagos

cowards everywhere...

Why not go for a full country... cheesy cheesy

..and issue visas..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Khyrvxjzy: 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2023
saintrow1:

Loooooooooooooooooooool you want to finally send ibos into extinction looool

lol

na hard man i be, if we talk peace u say no kuku lets war

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Cooly100: 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2023
Khyrvxjzy:

lol

Coward..why not go for a full autonomy... smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by HHH22: 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2023
Good.
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Cooly100: 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2023
Electorate:

Tribal bigotry taken to a new level by the Yorubas.

See dem, association of tribal bigots are already applauding the divisive move by the Lagos State Government, You all can now see who is more Tribalistic between the Igbos and Yorubas, No state in the entire South East does this nonsense...

South West is now officially a land of Tribal Bigots.

Kwara State wouldn't have been captured by the fulanis if you truly love your culture.

I am Yoruba before your malfunctional brains tell you I must be an igbo for saying the truth.

Now we know who the real tribal bigots are...The Yorubas.

Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa-Ibom, Imo...should do the same...ensuring that 90% of their local staff in their oil and gas companies...are speaking their language or be booted out...

...gradually everyone will come to their sense and ask for total autonomy..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Cooly100: 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2023
Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa-Ibom, Imo...should do the same...ensuring that 90% of their local staff in their oil and gas companies...are speaking their languages or be booted out...

...gradually everyone will come to their senses and ask for total autonomy..
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by BreconHills(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2023
aariwa:
One of such Yoruba language bills had been signed trwice or more in the past but nothing came out of it because it’s pure politics meant at fooling their followers. Lagos belongs to every Nigerian and not to any body . Go and read history, Nigerias”s oil boom from Gowon to IBB was spent on Lagos for every Nigerian not for any tribe or individuals so Lagos is one of the benefits of one Nigeria..people from all over Nigeria will continue to troop into Lagos daily and nobody will stop them…go and multiply as said in the Bible . If you sell your land any where and become a tenant to him you are now at his mercy to accommodate you and you don’t have to blame anybody for your mistakes.

"Go and read history" you said and then you proceeded to undermine history.

Which Lagos are you talking about. Is it the colony of Lagos ( island and yaba minus lekki) which later became the Lagos municipality? Or are you talking about Lagos state which now includes historic Western region areas such as ikeja all the way down ikorodu Road? The capital of the current lagos state was part of the Western region.

Secondly, lagos since 1991 is no longer the political capital of Nigeria. Abuja is now the capital and everybody can go there and do whatever they want. Calabar was capital of the southern protectorate of Nigeria at a time while Lokoja was also once an administrative capital of Nigeria. Why are these two places not being claimed as no man's land?

For 8 years under OBJ's PDP lagos was not given its statutory allocation, it was run to the ground, the airport, bridges and stadium were left to rot. Lagos was rebuilt in that period with money from Lagos. How then can it be no man's land? Did other regions contribute to the rebuilding of Lagos?

By reason of history and politics Lagos is yoruba. Let me post the old census of Lagos so you can see the people who lived here. You can Google the book title easily for reference.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Weathered: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2023
LegendHero:
I kinda like this.

We must make sure Yoruba become the second official language in the South as a whole.

Ever since I watched the Netflix documentary “Bigger than Africa”, I just suddenly got this extreme proudness in me for being a Yoruba man.

Afro beat language is already Yoruba, why can’t the whole Southern Nigeria adopt Yoruba as the second official language?
short-sighted frog
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Electorate: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2023
[quote author=Cooly100 post=124373556][/quote]

Exactly, if everyone start adopting this madness and we all live in isolation who suffers, everyone.

If all the oil producing states start adopting same thing all Yoruba big boys in the oil business will loose their jobs and return home to be speaking Yoruba...grin grin grin

Nonsense.

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by saintrow1: 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2023
Khyrvxjzy:

lol

Loooooooooooooooool
I pity those ibos, they won't last a week of a full scale war. Just place an embargo on them and it's over. They have no advantage in nigeria, they are 100% dependent. If they tell you they have a rocket, 1 Chinese firework will go far than their crap rocket loooool.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Gbogbowa: 12:42pm On Jul 12, 2023
As Yoruba man it took me long time to learn Hausa while I was in school in the north and now I must learn Igbo to stay in the East and will call ourselves one nation we are just deceiving ourselves in this country,an hause man we need to learn Yoruba and Igbo to do business proper in Yoruba and Igbo land and we say we are one.when we are in secondary school to uphold our unity and security it's an offence to speak in any other language except English but today the government is encouraging local dialer in classes.we God want to destroy the Nation called Tower of babel he simply divide their tongue, Nigeria will soon destroy itself and scattered
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Trizyd(m): 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2023
I love to speak to God in Yoruba and oh my, He understands and speaks back.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by aariwa(m): 12:54pm On Jul 12, 2023
BreconHills:

"Go and read history" you said and then you proceeded to undermine history.

Which Lagos are you talking about. Is it the colony of Lagos ( island and yaba minus lekki) which later became the Lagos municipality? Or are you talking about Lagos state which now includes historic Western region areas such as ikeja all the way down ikorodu Road? The capital of the current lagos state was part of the Western region.

Secondly, lagos since 1991 is no longer the political capital of Nigeria. Abuja is now the capital and everybody can go there and do whatever they want. Calabar was capital of the southern protectorate of Nigeria at a time while Lokoja was also once an administrative capital of Nigeria. Why are these two places not being claimed as no man's land?

For 8 years under OBJ's PDP lagos was not given its statutory allocation, it was run to the ground, the airport, bridges and stadium were left to rot. Lagos was rebuilt in that period with money from Lagos. How then can it be no man's land? Did other regions contribute to the rebuilding of Lagos?

By reason of history and politics Lagos is yoruba. Let me post the old census of Lagos so you can see the people who lived here. You can Google the book title easily for reference.
The screenshot you provided shows that non Lagos indigenes including nupe, Hausa, Oyo etc were more than 50% of the population. Tinubu created new local government councils at the tail end of his tenure, around 2006 or there about . Obasanjo asked him to reverse the act because it was unconstitutional ie only FG can create new LGAs . Tinubu refused, Obasanjo withheld his allocation for Lagos state and he went and created alpha beta to generate revenue for himself. Obasanjo asked a question “… is alpha bitter generating money for Lagos state and Tinubu or only for Tinubu…” I bet you would be able to answer obasanjo that one but I never never saw or heard or read that Lagos lost everything and needed to be rebuilt by Tinubu..was there a war because I lived in Lagos from marwa to Tinubu time and never witnessed anything remotely close to that
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Khyrvxjzy: 12:58pm On Jul 12, 2023
Cooly100:

Coward..why not go for a full autonomy... smiley

ok i heard you, no problem

but Nigeria and ibo will have another war right?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by bjdon: 1:01pm On Jul 12, 2023
There is nothing wrong with this.
In the UK if you go to Wales, you see many signs in Welsh and English

Other states should do the same. As long as all govt communications are also provided in English, then there is no problem

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by crixlight2(m): 1:04pm On Jul 12, 2023
Absuchat:
grin grin
Insecurity issues.
Igbos don shake up Alausa grin
They shake up Alausa at their own detriment, now it would be hard for any Igbo man to win political office like they used to in Lagos

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by rolams(m): 1:04pm On Jul 12, 2023
This is not bad at all. Very commendable!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Absuchat(m): 1:05pm On Jul 12, 2023
crixlight2:

They shake up Alausa at their own detriment, now it would be hard for any Igbo man to win political office like they used to in Lagos
Let us bother about that ... Don't bother on our behalf

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos As Fayose Returns From China Today Afternoon / "Aisha Buhari's Hurried Trip To London Confirms My Claim" - Fayose / Abacha, Abdulsalami Abubakar & Pope John Paul In March 1998

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.