Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English (36035 Views)

Lagos Commences Distribution Of Palliatives To Citizens / Ondo Election: Analytics Of Official Results As Announced By INEC / Magu Moves His Personal Belongings Out Of Official Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by BreconHills(m): 1:05pm On Jul 12, 2023
aariwa:
The screenshot you provided shows that non Lagos indigenes including nupe, Hausa, Oyo etc were more than 50% of the population. Tinubu created new local government councils at the tail end of his tenure, around 2006 or there about . Obasanjo asked him to reverse the act because it was unconstitutional ie only FG can create new LGAs . Tinubu refused, Obasanjo withheld his allocation for Lagos state and he went and created alpha beta to generate revenue for himself. Obasanjo asked a question “… is alpha bitter generating money for Lagos state and Tinubu or only for Tinubu…” I bet you would be able to answer obasanjo that one but I never never saw or heard or read that Lagos lost everything and needed to be rebuilt by Tinubu..was there a war because I lived in Lagos from marwa to Tinubu time and never witnessed anything remotely close to that

Hahaha you don't realize that Oyo and Nupe have yoruba roots. Liberian and Saros were freed yoruba slaves. Read the list and do your sums again...maybe Ekiti too are not yoruba abi?

You were not aware that Lagos did not receive federal allocations under OBJ? - you must have been quite young.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by aariwa(m): 1:08pm On Jul 12, 2023
BreconHills:

Hahaha you don't realize that Oyo and Nupe have yoruba roots. Liberian and Saros were freed yoruba slaves. Read the list and do your sums again...maybe Ekiti too are not yoruba abi?

You were not aware that Lagos did not receive federal allocations under OBJ? - you must have been quite young.
Pre colonial Yoruba extends all the way to Benin and Togo before the British cut some part and put on Nigeria but the topic of the thread discussion is Isale Eko - Lagos
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by OChimex: 1:10pm On Jul 12, 2023
Ihateheadslamer:
Supported.

Bauchi State House of Assembly has adopted Hausa Language in doing business in the state so therefore every region should follow up for a better understanding of each other tongue

The best way to understand each other is for every region to go their separate ways, simple as that. Nigeria is not one. Divide the useless country.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by DMerciful(m): 1:13pm On Jul 12, 2023
Bigger advantage to the rest of the south. I can hear your language, you can't hear mine
LegendHero:
I kinda like this.

We must make sure Yoruba become the second official language in the South as a whole.

Ever since I watched the Netflix documentary “Bigger than Africa”, I just suddenly got this extreme proudness in me for being a Yoruba man.

Afro beat language is already Yoruba, why can’t the whole Southern Nigeria adopt Yoruba as the second official language?
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by gannod(m): 1:14pm On Jul 12, 2023
I am 100% with them on this, Yoruba language should be the official language in the whole of South west. Aji ni do ti fe di oko eni ati pe a i tete mole, ole ti fe ma mu oloko o. Gbogbo omo karo, oji ire bi, e je ka fun ra o...ifunra loogun agba.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by NOwazobia: 1:16pm On Jul 12, 2023
Warl0ck:
they have a high chance of learning igbo just like asaba people.
That is not true.

Asaba people don't all speak Igbo.

Igbo is not even the major language there.

The leadership structure there is divided to represent all tribal variety, and the governor's sit is almost rotated to capture this peculiarity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by LegendHero(m): 1:17pm On Jul 12, 2023
DMerciful:
Bigger advantage to the rest of the south. I can hear your language, you can't hear mine

I don’t understand what you mean.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Warl0ck: 1:18pm On Jul 12, 2023
NOwazobia:
That is not true.

Asaba people don't all speak Igbo.

Igbo is not even the major language there.

The leadership structure there is divided to represent all tribal variety, and the governor's sit is almost rotated to capture this peculiarity.
understand me sir.
i said they have a chance of learning igbo FASTER than other languages.
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by gannod(m): 1:18pm On Jul 12, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The quick to respond "I don't understand Yoruba " crew just got served. Even forms and job interviews in Lagos will be conducted in Yoruba and Egun. Incentives will be given to organisations that adapt to this current reality.

Also, the Yoruba parents and woke will know the meaning of "Yoruba dun" wink

This is LASG helping them and their parents by teaching them the education most of them missed at home. Odun joor! like Radio Lagos 107.5 FM will scream in its jingle.

If you want to be part of the modern Lagos, learn Yoruba. If you are not ready to learn the language, stay back in your village, it's not by force . After all, you can still make it in your village.

The secret behind our success in Lagos is in our Yoruba culture and language, it encodes the spirit of Omoluabi, if you want to succeed in Lagos, go and learn Yoruba.
There is no Badagry indigene who will not understand Yoruba because they're an eya of Yoruba.

Those who hate the Yoruba and forming "I have been in Yorubaland for donkey years" , but can't speak Yoruba are plainly ignorant people. You can not spend years in a place and don't understand the language of your
host anywhere in the world unless you hate your host. I was thoroughly embarrassed when I watched a Mr Obi who has been in Lagos for decades use Prof Pat Utomi as his interpreter for Yoruba Language ,I knew immediately that he isn't serious about getting people to know him. It was the ignorance of Mr Obi displayed in public view. There is no way I can spend that long in Igboland and not speak Igbo.

This policy will help us know those who have mixed ignorance with hatred for the Yoruba their host.

Learn Yoruba and if you can't, no problem, just know that No Yoruba, no Lagos life for you
niyen. If you spend donkey years in Lagos and have mastered Yoruba, it will help you when you return to the village in your retirement because you will see Yoruba corps, Police etc posted to your village and they will appreciate your village more because of you they found there to speak Yoruba with. The other villagers will be envious of you and wish they have your clout.

We don't hate you, we just want those who love us and respect our culture to flourish in our land while those who hate us can stay back in their villages. The sky is big enough!
God bless Lagos state and Nigeria for ever!
Check my signature for free stuffs!

Ododo oro.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Styluss: 1:23pm On Jul 12, 2023
I support.

LegendHero:
I kinda like this.

We must make sure Yoruba become the second official language in the South as a whole.

Ever since I watched the Netflix documentary “Bigger than Africa”, I just suddenly got this extreme proudness in me for being a Yoruba man.

Afro beat language is already Yoruba, why can’t the whole Southern Nigeria adopt Yoruba as the second official language?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by myrates: 1:23pm On Jul 12, 2023
Cooly100:

cowards everywhere...

Why not go for a full country... cheesy cheesy

..and issue visas..

He dey pain you? grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by YorubaPrince: 1:23pm On Jul 12, 2023
Kalakulu:

Yaribanza clown!

Go to any top 10 African nations today that are familiar with Nigerian mainstream cultures especially popular phrases they learned from Nollywood movies, do a survey and ask them certain Igbo vs Yaribanza words- then record your feedbacks cause if you're honest with your survey, you will find out that majority of the popular Nigerian slangs and native words that they know will be predominantly Igbo words cause they watch more of Osuofia, Aki & Pawpaw, Mr Ibu etc movies.

The fact that you mentioned Portable in your rants prove my point, garbage artists with zero talents that simply ride on the wave of yoruba dominated Lagos media hype, same way another below average artist like Seyi Vibez always get hyped- yet na only yoruba street touts dey listen to his Afro-incantation incoherent rubbish.

Wizkid was actually announced to the world by the P square brothers when he was coming into the game, Davido's manager (Asa Asika) na Igbo boy, same with Olamide's manager,one of Davido's biggest hit song "IF" was written and directed by Tekno an Igbo boy...see the pattern? There was always an Igbo involved in the success of yoruba successful musicians today.

Egbon, I'll rather sit-at-home in my own land eating Nkwobi and chilling with my family on Monday after making all my money for the week rather than suffer the indelible stigma of one EMIR instructing me to cancel a cultural festival on my own land. At least Owo in Ondo state where over 50 people were massacred during Sunday service didn't happen in the SE last time I checked! cheesy

Okoro Savage on rampage! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by gannod(m): 1:26pm On Jul 12, 2023
aariwa:
One of such Yoruba language bills had been signed trwice or more in the past but nothing came out of it because it’s pure politics meant at fooling their followers. Lagos belongs to every Nigerian and not to any body . Go and read history, Nigerias”s oil boom from Gowon to IBB was spent on Lagos for every Nigerian not for any tribe or individuals so Lagos is one of the benefits of one Nigeria..people from all over Nigeria will continue to troop into Lagos daily and nobody will stop them…go and multiply as said in the Bible . If you sell your land any where and become a tenant to him you are now at his mercy to accommodate you and you don’t have to blame anybody for your mistakes.

You are missing one thing on the issue of selling of land, when you buy any land, you are issued a certificate of occupancy( not certificate of ownership). This means, the land can be revoked by government when and if you misbehave. Have you asked yourself why government don't issue certificate of ownership? Anyway, for those who think because they buy land in any part of Southwest, it gives them the exclusive rights to misbehave, make una just dey play..

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by SAMBARRY: 1:31pm On Jul 12, 2023
Absuchat:
grin grin
Insecurity issues.
Igbos don shake up Alausa grin
while Simon is shaking up the south Easterners with insecurity smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by bjdon: 1:32pm On Jul 12, 2023
Electorate:

Tribal bigotry taken to a new level by the Yorubas.

See dem, association of tribal bigots are already applauding the divisive move by the Lagos State Government, You all can now see who is more Tribalistic between the Igbos and Yorubas, No state in the entire South East does this nonsense...

South West is now officially a land of Tribal Bigots.

Kwara State wouldn't have been captured by the fulanis if you truly love your culture.

I am Yoruba before your malfunctional brains tell you I must be an igbo for saying the truth.

Now we know who the real tribal bigots are...The Yorubas.

When investors (igbos) start moving their businesses to the South East some your Yoruba brothers and sisters will loose their jobs and turn beggers, your state revenue will nose dive...common sense.

I don't understand your anger. This is very normal in Europe. In Wales all govt notices are in Welsh and English. In Quebec in Canada its French and English. As long as all govt notices and publications are provided in English there is no problem if they are also provided in other languages.
Every state can do the same

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Omoawoke: 1:34pm On Jul 12, 2023
LegendHero:
I kinda like this.

Lovely documentary, bigger than africa. Yoruba colonized their slave masters in their own land

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Omoawoke: 1:38pm On Jul 12, 2023
Kalakulu:

Yaribanza clown!

Go to any top 10 African nations today that are familiar with Nigerian mainstream cultures especially popular phrases they learned from Nollywood movies, do a survey and ask them certain Igbo vs Yaribanza words- then record your feedbacks cause if you're honest with your survey, you will find out that majority of the popular Nigerian slangs and native words that they know will be predominantly Igbo words cause they watch more of Osuofia, Aki & Pawpaw, Mr Ibu etc movies.

The fact that you mentioned Portable in your rants prove my point, garbage artists with zero talents that simply ride on the wave of yoruba dominated Lagos media hype, same way another below average artist like Seyi Vibez always get hyped- yet na only yoruba street touts dey listen to his Afro-incantation incoherent rubbish.

Wizkid was actually announced to the world by the P square brothers when he was coming into the game, Davido's manager (Asa Asika) na Igbo boy, same with Olamide's manager,one of Davido's biggest hit song "IF" was written and directed by Tekno an Igbo boy...see the pattern? There was always an Igbo involved in the success of yoruba successful musicians today.

Egbon, I'll rather sit-at-home in my own land eating Nkwobi and chilling with my family on Monday after making all my money for the week rather than suffer the indelible stigma of one EMIR instructing me to cancel a cultural festival on my own land. At least Owo in Ondo state where over 50 people were massacred during Sunday service didn't happen in the SE last time I checked! cheesy

Fela sang in Igbo, Asa is an Igbo woman, king sunny Ade all dance in igbo..
You must be high on Colorado. Just accept that Yorubas are African giants when it comes to music.
Go to US and Uk and hear oyinbo singing in Yoruba songs although they don’t know the meaning. Burna boy sings in yoruba too.
Kiss Daniel “buga o” is a yoruba word, remains one of the most sung words in the world.
Guy you have no point, even your fellow igbos won’t follow you argue this one. This your argument is dead on arrival

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by SAMBARRY: 1:40pm On Jul 12, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The quick to respond "I don't understand Yoruba " crew just got served. Even forms and job interviews in Lagos will be conducted in Yoruba and Egun. Incentives will be given to organisations that adapt to this current reality.

Also, the Yoruba parents and woke will know the meaning of "Yoruba dun" wink

This is LASG helping them and their parents by teaching them the education most of them missed at home. Odun joor! like Radio Lagos 107.5 FM will scream in its jingle.

If you want to be part of the modern Lagos, learn Yoruba. If you are not ready to learn the language, stay back in your village, it's not by force . After all, you can still make it in your village.

The secret behind our success in Lagos is in our Yoruba culture and language, it encodes the spirit of Omoluabi, if you want to succeed in Lagos, go and learn Yoruba.
There is no Badagry indigene who will not understand Yoruba because they're an eya of Yoruba.

Those who hate the Yoruba and forming "I have been in Yorubaland for donkey years" , but can't speak Yoruba are plainly ignorant people. You can not spend years in a place and don't understand the language of your
host anywhere in the world unless you hate your host. I was thoroughly embarrassed when I watched a Mr Obi who has been in Lagos for decades use Prof Pat Utomi as his interpreter for Yoruba Language ,I knew immediately that he isn't serious about getting people to know him. It was the ignorance of Mr Obi displayed in public view. There is no way I can spend that long in Igboland and not speak Igbo.

This policy will help us know those who have mixed ignorance with hatred for the Yoruba their host.

Learn Yoruba and if you can't, no problem, just know that No Yoruba, no Lagos life for you
niyen. If you spend donkey years in Lagos and have mastered Yoruba, it will help you when you return to the village in your retirement because you will see Yoruba corps, Police etc posted to your village and they will appreciate your village more because of you they found there to speak Yoruba with. The other villagers will be envious of you and wish they have your clout.

We don't hate you, we just want those who love us and respect our culture to flourish in our land while those who hate us can stay back in their villages. The sky is big enough!
God bless Lagos state and Nigeria for ever!
Check my signature for free stuffs!
Omo luabi ni e.mo ranti igbati moma'ntype Lori NL ni Yoruba awon ode Omo alayileko Kan wan'pe arawon layinshey mi pe baba won Razz,babawon local.even gan won ma'n try lati shame and silence anybody Toba type Ni yoruba.seun gan won buyena.won sope tribalist ni.nisiyin arawon tibale.broda jide tifunwon Ni size won grin

O ripe Chinedu kosoromo? wink

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Omoawoke: 1:41pm On Jul 12, 2023
LegendHero:

So when are those Ckay, Kcee, and Ojapiano going to sell O2 or go on massive world tour and selling out big arena like the other A-list Artists like Davido, Wizkid, Burna, Asake, and etc?

Even portable will pull more crowd for his show if he go head to head with Kcee. Kcee time don pass.

Yoruba is the Afro best language, it is the language people abroad use to qualify Nigerians. Wouldn’t it be good to just adopt it as the official language in the South?

We need to personally table this matter to Igwe Obi of Onitsha o and summon the 5 SE governors to a round table to look into this offer.

If everyone speaks Yoruba in the SE, there wouldn’t be need for sit at home because everybody will be busy throwing owambe and enjoying life. Who wan get time for terrorism wey IPOB dey do?

Fela is even the founder of afrobeats

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Greatlee54: 1:41pm On Jul 12, 2023
[quote author=LegendHero post=124365126]

So when are those Ckay, Kcee, and Ojapiano going to sell O2 or go on massive world tour and selling out big arena like the other A-list Artists like Davido, Wizkid, Burna, Asake, and etc?

Even portable will pull more crowd for his show if he go head to head with Kcee. Kcee time don pass.

Yoruba is the Afro best language, it is the language people abroad use to qualify Nigerians. Wouldn’t it be good to just adopt it as the official language in the South?

We need to personally table this matter to Igwe Obi of Onitsha o and summon the 5 SE governors to a round table to look into this offer.

If everyone speaks Yoruba in the SE, there wouldn’t be need for sit at home because everybody will be busy throwing owambe and enjoying life. Who wan get time for terrorism wey IPOB dey do?

[] Talk is cheap
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by LegendHero(m): 1:43pm On Jul 12, 2023
Omoawoke:

Fela is even the founder of afrobeats

You are very correct.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by musicwriter(m): 1:44pm On Jul 12, 2023
The most intelligent African cultures would be the first to return and reclaim their native language.

And what you see here is the equivalent of "let there be light" and the beginning of REAL power and preparation for Africa to rule the world.

Everything starts with WORDS. Your own words, not foreign words. To name something in your own language means to assert your authority over that piece of information. That's why in bible mythology a god told an Adam and Eve to go an name things....it means go and take authority over knowledge!!

Once we realize that English is not our language, the next thing that would be questioned will be foreign religions. And believe it or not, we'll also kick all foreign religions out of Africa. They'll all be done but it'll take time.

Sadly, there was a bigger opportunity to address this on a continental scale in 1962 but Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Christopher Okigbo, Ezekiel Mphahlele (who were then Christians at that time) were cornered by Britain and the CIA and used to oppose the cultural revolution that would have set us free a long time ago.

The next thing Lagos and Bauchi state or other states that have embraced native language should do is to create "stars" who've succeeded using these native languages. It doesn't matter what their career or profession. And as people see them succeed in our native language, we'll begin to trust ourselves. And that's how you got your African Nobel laureate and Pulitzer prize winners who were used by white people to convince us that we can succeeded in THEIR language, thereby, leading us to lose confidence in literary creation in our own language and image.

Nature would always return to itself.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by emonis88: 1:49pm On Jul 12, 2023
This is good, every other state il learn to embrace their culture n develop their state instead of running to Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by clearcrystal: 1:55pm On Jul 12, 2023
CartelKenneth:

That is quite a stupid thing to say
Of what importance is yoruba?
Is it not your vernacular you speak at home?
what importance is it in world trade?

Okoro go dey speak English for your family in your village.
How many times will they tell you that Lagos is not for you. 😂

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Sleekfingers: 1:56pm On Jul 12, 2023
OldBeer:
The government of Lagos state has begun the issuance of vital information to its populace in Egun, Yoruba and English.
Critics say this new development may not be unconnected with the 2023 elections that sprung up surprises in the state.
It is yet to be seen if this will become the modus operandi of the state going forward.

It Ogun not Egun.

The Ogun is not pronounce like Ogun state.
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Raskimonojendor: 1:58pm On Jul 12, 2023
Long overdue. No more liberal bullshit.

Eko ti dide ni toto. (Eko has stood up finally just as GRV wanted) grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Sleekfingers: 2:04pm On Jul 12, 2023
LegendHero:

That’s correct. All state must follow suit.

But in the South, we need an official language just as the North where Hausa is spoken across the entire 19 Northern states.

I have a proposal of adopting Yoruba as the official language of the South. What do you think?
Including kwara, kogi, benue and plateau,?

In kwara state over 80% of people there speaks yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by Raskimonojendor: 2:06pm On Jul 12, 2023
Alot of the ibos I grew up with in Lagos see no problem with this news. They have assimilated into the Yoruba culture, just like ibos that were born and grew up in ilu oke. Na all these Jonny just come Lagos dey cry grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by kamalbob(m): 2:06pm On Jul 12, 2023
Lol imagine dragging your state with refugees, asylum seekers who sneaked in on a night bus. Yoruba don fall my hand, this nonsense will never happen in my Kano. They shut up and listen when we are talking because we put them in their place.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by luluman: 2:25pm On Jul 12, 2023
REDshouse:
oga ade I be Yoruba so calm ur innermost mind down.... Lagos can only belong to Yoruba only....
Thanks.
Re: Lagos Commences Issuance Of Official Statements In Yoruba, Egun & English by djseanjohn77: 2:48pm On Jul 12, 2023
Absuchat:
grin grin
Insecurity issues.
Igbos don shake up Alausa grin

A dunce like you born in 2000s will not realise in the 80s and 90s, lLagos broadcast news in yoruba and Egun........Even on NTA channel 7. Since television started in the West, your fathers wn't know and they probably didn't have the opportunity of telling you this.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can You List ,5 Richest Politicians Alive In Nigeria / Delta State PDP Governorship Primaries Update / Nigerians Blast APC For Sneaking Buhari Into Nigeria At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.