Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,178 members, 7,815,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? (3008 Views)

Should South East Be Annexed To Cameroon? / Why Fulani Herdsmen Must Be Allowed To Live Anywhere – Senator Uzodinma / Fayemi: "Fayose Will Only Be Allowed To Vote On Election Day & Go Back" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2023

If the Southeast was to become a country (Biafra), how would it rank in comparison with Nigeria?

Nigeria continues to be plagued with leadership problems and the suffering continues to increase since the new government took charge.

Added to the leadership crises, the secession calls in the Southeast continues to sound frustratingly in the ears of other Nigerians. Indeed, there are many Nigerians who will gladly see the Southeasterners leave.

About a week ago, ex-Niger Delta militant, Asari Dokubo, urged the Federal Government to allow the Southeast secede from Nigeria.

In this post we will consider the key indicators of both countries should the South East become a country.

View the post as video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlONQ-91TfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBUcv7Myjc

https://easternconsigliereblog.com/should-the-south-east-become-a-country/
https://easternconsigliereblog.com/should-the-south-east-become-a-country-2/
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2023
BREADOWN OF KEY INDICATORS

Land Mass

If the Southeast was to secede, Nigeria would still retain her position as the 14th largest country in Africa, but would drop to the 33rd largest country by size, in the world.

Biafra would be 44th largest in Africa, 30 places behind Nigeria and would be 139th in the world.

Expected Years Of Schooling
According to World Bank and “Our World In Data” statistics, a Nigerian child by her 18th birthday, on average, has completed only 10.2 years of a 16 year Education (6-3-3-4). That is, the average 18 year old in Nigeria is still at Senior Secondary School 1 Level. The average age of the Northern students likely plays a role here.

For the Biafran nation, the figure would be closer to 12. That is, the average 18 year old in Biafra would have completed Senior Secondary School 3 (6-3-3).

In the more educationally advanced societies, the average 18 year old has usually attained 200 Level tertiary education.
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:17pm On Jul 18, 2023
Mean Years Of Schooling

According to World Economics, Nigeria’s mean years of schooling stands at 7.2. That is, the average level of educational attainment in Nigeria is about Junior Secondary School 1. Again, the lower educational attainment in Northern Nigeria plays a role.

The world average is 8.7, which approximates to nearly completing Junior Secondary School 2. Nigeria ranks at 107 of 150 globally, and 15th in Africa.

Biafra would have a mean years of schooling that would be around 10. That is, the average level of educational attainment in the population could be approximated at Senior Secondary School 1. This measure could increase significantly to about 12 or even 13, depending on some other factors. At a mean years of schooling of 10, Biafra would rank at around 71st globally and 8th in Africa.

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2023
Education Index

The education index which is ranked at around 0.5 for Nigeria as per this statistic, places the West African giant at 131 globally. Should the South East become a country, it would sit slightly higher at about 0.66, ranking at 97th globally.

Both measurements fall below the 0.7 global average.
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2023

Literacy Level

From data retrieved from a Guardian NG infographic covering the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital (dated 24th July, 2017), the literacy level of Nigeria could be pegged at around 63%.

The country’s literacy level after the secession of the Southeast, will dip slightly to 59%.

From the earlier mentioned infographic, a Biafran nation comprising of Nigeria’s Southeast states would have a literacy level of around 90%.

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:19pm On Jul 18, 2023
Gross Domestic Product

According to a state by state breakdown provided by this source, a Southeast secession would dip Nigeria’s GDP from 440.8 billion to 341.6 billion dollars .

This would see Nigeria drop the current 31st, to 43rd globally, and from 1st in Africa to 3rd.

The current cumulative GDP for Southeast Nigeria stands at 49.56 billion dollars.

The GDP at modest, will double in a short time due to upsurge in local production.

The Biafran nation will rank at 69th globally and 9th in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:20pm On Jul 18, 2023
Gross National Income Per Capita

Nigeria’s GNI per capita currently stands at a below par $2,140 per head, placing her at around 146th in the global rankings and 22nd in Africa.

For Biafra, its approximate population of 30 million residents and economy size puts her GNI at about $3,000 per head. This would rank Biafra at 17th in Africa and 134th globally.

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2023
Human Development Index

The HDI for Nigeria is about 0.55, far below the global average of 0.723. This is a cumulative effect of the lower life expectancy, a below par education index and a lower standard of living.

A more literate population and better GNI per capita in the Southeast (Biafra) positively impacts the country’s HDI.

Should the South East become a country, its HDI will be pegged at around 0.632.

Summary

In summary, a Southeast secession will affect Nigeria, but not by much. The West African giant’s potential remains very high.

For the Biafran nation, the immediate years after secession are no el-dorado. It would look and run like any other sub-saharan country. Just as Nigeria, the potential to improve the country rests with the people and leadership.

3 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by iammo(m): 7:22pm On Jul 18, 2023
cool

Foolishness at it's peak... Abeg leave and stop making noise

IGR least after NorthEast
Most underdeveloped
No Sea Port
Economic migrants to other region

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by spearman(m): 7:26pm On Jul 18, 2023
Hmmm... that Ibo passport... eh.
E get why.
Ibos can never leave Nigeria voluntarily. That is why they draw a crazy and impossible map of Biafra with Niger Delta hallucination.
Las las, Ibos will have to be expelled from Nigeria. Even at that they will still refuse to go. No shame. No pride. No confidence.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:38pm On Jul 18, 2023
spearman:
Hmmm... that Ibo passport... eh.
E get why.
Ibos can never leave Nigeria voluntarily. That is why they draw a crazy and impossible map of Biafra with Niger Delta hallucination.
Las las, Ibos will have to be expelled from Nigeria. Even at that they will still refuse to go. No shame. No pride. No confidence.

Why would the Southeast refuse to go?

5 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2023
iammo:
cool

Foolishness at it's peak... Abeg leave and stop making noise

IGR least after NorthEast
Most underdeveloped
No Sea Port
Economic migrants to other region

How about literacy level?
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by iammo(m): 7:41pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

How about literacy level?

Yeah how about you check United Nations Development index for that and come and tell us

I will wait

3 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:42pm On Jul 18, 2023
iammo:

Yeah how about you check United Nations Development index for that and come and tell us

I will wait

Human Development Index?
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2023
Razgas, Mrvitalis, Unbiased1, Khyrvxjzy, Akungitit, Maticar, Mrblessed, Colestephan86, Jackcanfield, Frankdon, Colonelwealth, Allcomage, Morbeta11, Tundein18, Gerogel, Plaindealer, Mdimefields, BeLookingIDIOT, TemplarLandry, Jacobx007, Cazchi, Okwyjesus, Lotanna2, Hansomb
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by iammo(m): 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

Human Development Index?
.yes... captures Education
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:48pm On Jul 18, 2023
iammo:

.yes... captures Education

This is an illustration. The HDI in the Southeast is much better than many states.

This is for education. Still much better in this category too.

3 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by Rikkely: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

Why would the Southeast refuse to go?

I keep telling people If Igbos leave, Nigeria will never remain the same again, there's no much difference between Yorubas and core North

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2023
Rikkely:

I keep telling people If Igbos leave, Nigeria will never remain the same again, there's no much difference between Yorubas and core North

The Southeast should be allowed to leave.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by mrvitalis(m): 8:01pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

Igbo land tho bigger than South East has everything it needs to a nation

It won't be the smallest nation, won't the poorest

So why not

Countries that are nations generally tend to be better developed

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by thisisit: 8:03pm On Jul 18, 2023
YES..
LONG LIVE ODUDUWA REPUBLIC
LONG LIVE AREWA REPUBLIC
LONG LIVE IGBO REPUBLIC
LONG LIVE NIGER DELTA REPUBLIC

7 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 8:04pm On Jul 18, 2023
mrvitalis:

Igbo land tho bigger than South East has everything it needs to a nation

It won't be the smallest nation, won't the poorest

So why not

Countries that are nations generally tend to be better developed

You're right right on that.

But Southeast won't be allowed to leave with any other region or Igbo communities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by mrvitalis(m): 8:06pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

You're right right on that.

But Southeast won't be allowed to leave with any other region or Igbo communities.
Give us the 5 south East state first na

Maximum 10 years Nigeria won't even talk when we annex the other Igbo lands if they are willing to join

If Biafra is a fully recognised country.... Them no born Nigeria to challenge us after 10 years them wan turn to barren land?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:
Razgas, Mrvitalis, Unbiased1, Khyrvxjzy, Akungitit, Maticar, Mrblessed, Colestephan86, Jackcanfield, Frankdon, Colonelwealth, Allcomage
I hope we are safe .. intellectually everyone is gifted, I remember I was in a deliberation in Niger State and my Yoruba brothers who think I have a Fulani root keep complaining that the North is dragging them backward and I laugh .. I told them the few that are educated are extremely brilliant, you need to listen to Oga Ganduje speak with all his tribal mark, he sounds eloquent, how much more if they were all educated and exposed. Like I told them, let us seek to understand each other and respect each other.

5 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 8:13pm On Jul 18, 2023
jackcanfield:

I hope we are safe .. intellectually everyone is gifted, I remember I was in a deliberation in Niger State and my Yoruba brothers who think I have a Fulani root keep complaining that the North is dragging them backward and I laugh .. I told them the few that are educated are extremely brilliant, you need to listen to Oga Ganduje speak with all his tribal mark, he sounds eloquent, how much more if they were all educated and exposed.

The North has shunned education. But truly, the educated few are usually brilliant.

8 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 8:15pm On Jul 18, 2023
mrvitalis:

Give us the 5 south East state first na

Maximum 10 years Nigeria won't even talk when we annex the other Igbo lands if they are willing to join

If Biafra is a fully recognised country.... Them no born Nigeria to challenge us after 10 years them wan turn to barren land?

Nigeria is a very tough country to go to war against.
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

The North has shunned education. But truly, the educated few are usually brilliant.
I don't think they shun it per se , I think some people deliberately want to keep some of them from been exposed, reason I do not know.

5 Likes

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by AfricanColumbus: 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2023
jackcanfield:

I don't think they shun it per se , I think some people deliberately want to keep some of them from been exposed, reason I do not know.

Why would leaders deliberately keep the led unexposed

1 Like

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by gidgiddy: 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2023
If the South East becomes a separate country, it will di better than being in Nigeria

Nothing in Nigeria ever progresses, it only gets worse

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by totit: 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

This is an illustration. The HDI in the Southeast is much better than many states.

This is for education. Still much better in this category too.

And this ranking is based on what exactly? The last time I checked, the highest number of Waec and Jamb credits and students is statistically high in SW.
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by APCNig: 8:23pm On Jul 18, 2023
Yes, it should be. But they will need to find a land far away from West Africa because a drugs trafficking and baby manufacturing factory country will not be allowed anywhere near West Africa,

We will not allow a Mexico in West Africa
Re: Should The South East Be Allowed To Leave? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 18, 2023
AfricanColumbus:

Why would leaders deliberately keep the led unexposed
I was deliberate when I said some people.. but those people know there reasons.. I remember I was in Taraba, imagine teaching people goma plus goma because they can't speak English or should I say turenchi .. exposure zero ..town has electric infrastructure yet no electricity.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Imagine If Someone From South East Made This Statement / Unknown Gunmen Killed Another 5 Soldiers In Umunze Anambra State / These 3 Men Are Undisputed Political Lords Of Igbo Land & The Most Popular

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.