Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,539 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? (10586 Views)

Breaking News: Kogi State Is Under Attack Right Now. DSS Office Under Siege! / Nigeria: Jigawa Polio Free For 2 Years - Emir / Which State Is The Most Educated In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by aloyemeka1: 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2011
Jarus:

I am hearing Abakiliki rice for the first time on this thread, while I grew up knowing ofada rice.

ASbakiliki produces more rice than ofada. Also, nkalagu cement used to be in Abakiliki. There is also another rice produced somewhere in Benue state but most of the grains that feed Nigerians are from Kogi, Ebonyi and Benue.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Kc3000: 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2011
I guess, it's a matter of where u came up, cos I've NEVER heard of Ofada rice till now. I'm familiar with Abakiliki rice though.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Jarus(m): 1:10pm On Oct 10, 2011
aloy/emeka:

ASbakiliki produces more rice than ofada. Also, nkalagu cement used to be in Abakiliki. There is also another rice produced somewhere in Benue state but most of the grains that feed Nigerians are from Kogi, Ebonyi and Benue.
Thanks for educating me. It may boil down to what part of teh country we are then.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by presido1: 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2011
This is my first time of heaing Ofada and rice. Where is Ofada pls.?
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by maclatunji: 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2011
The thread is not about the viability of any state in question. We are talking about popularity here- how many people in Nigeria know that the state exists and have certain degree of knowledge about it? I repeat again Jigawa and Ebonyi states top the list.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by odumchi: 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2011
Prince Nico Mbarga (the guy that sang the song "Sweet Mother" which I know all of you have heard) is from Ebonyi State. He put Ebonyi on the map just like Fela put Ogun.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 10, 2011
odumchi:

Prince Nico Mbarga (the guy that sang the song "Sweet Mother" which I know all of you have heard) is from Ebonyi State. He put Ebonyi on the map just like Fela put Ogun.
I know the music,know the guy somehow but unfortunately i don't know he's from ebonyi state !
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by odumchi: 2:53pm On Oct 10, 2011
Well now you do.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 10, 2011
So does that makes ebonyi more popular than bayelsa that produced the president ?
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by odumchi: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So does that makes ebonyi more popular than bayelsa that produced the president ?

When did I ever say that?
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
Top 10
1. FCT
2. Lagos
3. Kano
4. Kaduna
5. Port-Hacourt
6. Ogun/Enugu
7. Katsina
8. Adamawa
9. Sokoto
10. Niger

Bottom 10.
1. Ebonyi
2. Kebbi
3. Ekiti.
4. Ondo
5. Kwara
6. Bayelsa
7. jigawa
8. Taraba
9. gombe
10. nasarawa
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by chy101: 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2011
nagoma:

Agreed but Honestly Anambra is more well known for crimes and political upheaval , also the Okija shrine.

Anambra is known for its many FIRSTS in the history of Nigeria, ofcourse their is no place that doesn't have its on fair share of negative sides. But in all Anambra produces the very best and brightest Nigeria and Africa can boast of today.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by chy101: 3:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
The first 5 most outstanding and most popular states of Nigeria: Abuja is not part of this assessment because its the city of power

Lagos
Rivers
Anambra
Delta
Kano/Ogun

The least known states of the Federation:

Ebonyi
Osun
Ekiti
Kwara
Jigawa/Taraba/Gombe/Ondo
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by dayokanu(m): 4:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
odumchi:

Didn't I give you a source?

Anambra is one of the most densley populated places in Africa with over 1500-2000 people per square mile. It is also the second most populous Southern state.

Here's one source: In this source the 2005 estimate was given at 7.8 million http://www.ngex.com/nigeria/places/states/anambra.htm

Here's another one where the 2010 estimate for Anambra state was 8.5 million. http://www.igbofocus.co.uk/html/anambra_state.html

Don't believe everything on Wikipedia, anyone can log into it and change the data or worse put up false data as you were given.

You are quoting estimates when we have from official Anambra state source that its 4.1m

http://www.anambrastate.gov.ng/

So we should believe igbofocus over the State official website.

Calling Anambra the second populous State is quite ignorant and uneducated if you dont consider other southern  States
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
odumchi:

When did I ever say that?
I just wanted to let you know that ebonyi still remain unknown even though the guy you mentioned hailed from there but most people did not know he's from there unlike jonathan who hailed from that shiithole called bayelsa.his ascendency to presidency and the availability of oil in bayelsa coupled with the MEND unrest and resource control would have made bayelsa more popular than ebonyi !
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by olawalebabs(m): 4:33pm On Oct 10, 2011
I don't understand the parameters use. when the south eastern themselve don't stay in their state. None of the south estern state has a population of 5m
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by chy101: 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^^^

I hope you are talking to yourselve alone. Who told you that easterners does not stay in their states Its simply because you don't travel yourselve, when you go down east especially the cities of Onitsha, Nnewi, Enugu, Awka, Owerri; you will be marvelled at the very high population, unlike the last time I went to I passed through Akure, Ondo town I hardly see people not knowing that all the southwesterner have since gone to claim lagos originality lol. The population of Onitsha alone is bigger than oyo, ondo, ekiti put together. The same way lagos population is put at 9m by NPC, but in technical terms lagos population is over 17m. So Anambra official/paper is around 4-5m, but practically Anambra is well over 8-9m.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by olawalebabs(m): 4:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
The porportion of easterners that are in other part of the country far exceed the number of other ethnic that reside in the east. with that scenario, how will the east be more populated than other zone, anambra in particular
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Jarus(m): 4:47pm On Oct 10, 2011
chy101:

The first 5 most outstanding and most popular states of Nigeria: Abuja is not part of this assessment because its the city of power

Lagos
Rivers
Anambra
Delta
Kano/Ogun

Ebonyi
Osun
Ekiti
Kwara
Jigawa/Taraba/Gombe/Ondo

Saying Anambra is more popular than Kano and Kaduna says a lot about your knowledge of Nigeria.
Anywhere you are Nigeria, you need no further explanation if you tell anyone you're from Kano or Kaduna.
Aside Lagos, which is clearly ahead of others, only Rivers matches Kaduna and Kano in terms of popularity.

Only Onitsha is known in Anambra state, and overshadows the state name, except you're considering only the educated population.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by chy101: 5:03pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^

What are your basis of examining these states? Whether Onitsha or any part of the start its still Anambra state. I think you were born last night if not you would have known that Anambra state and its people are know worldwide. By all indices of development, Anambra has recorded the highest in human development index, Anambra has consistently been rated the least poverty state in Nigeria, if that and many more of its achievements does not qualify it as an important Nigerian state I wonder what will.

Do you know that first President of this great country, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe is from Anambra, the first senate president is from Anambra. As I write this piece Anambra has two members in the British Parliament. Dr. Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme, first executive Vice-President of Nigeria is from Anambra.

The world renowned Chinua Achebe is from Anambra, Cardinal Francis Arinze, once considered a potential Pope is from Anambra. Emeka Anyaoku - the first black Secretary-General of the Commonwealth is from Anambra. I wonder what more could make a state popular and great.

My friend Pls, Go and read to have knowledge

This can help also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anambra_State
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Jarus(m): 5:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
chy101:

^^

What are your basis of examining these states? Whether Onitsha or any part of the start its still Anambra state. I think you were born last night if not you would have known that Anambra state and its people are know worldwide. By all indices of development, Anambra has recorded the highest in human development index, Anambra has consistently been rated the least poverty state in Nigeria, if that and many more of its achievements does not qualify it as an important Nigerian state I wonder what will.

Do you know that first President of this great country, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe is from Anambra, the first senate president is from Anambra. As I write this piece Anambra has two members in the British Parliament. Dr. Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme, first executive Vice-President of Nigeria is from Anambra.

The world renowned Chinua Achebe is from Anambra, Cardinal Francis Arinze, once considered a potential Pope is from Anambra. Emeka Anyaoku - the first black Secretary-General of the Commonwealth is from Anambra. I wonder what more could make a state popular and great.

My friend Pls, Go and read to have knowledge

This can help also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anambra_State
If that is your definition of popularity(which is obviously flawed), then why is Ogun missing in your list of Top 5?

Talk of abuse of word.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by odumchi: 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ Jarus

Anambra is not a one city state like Lagos, Kaduna and Kano. Anambra boasts Onicha, Awka and Nnewi which are all fully urbanised cities. Nnewi and it's neighboring towns alone are around 2.5 million in population.

Here's a list of prominent people from Anambra:

Nnamdi Azikiwe Owelle of Onitsha - the first President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and historically, the only man whose name appeared in the Constitution of his country (Nigeria's Republican Constitution of 1963).
Dr. Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme, hails from Okoh town, is a frontline Politician, Architect and the first executive Vice-President of Nigeria, serving 1979 – 1983.
Professor Chinua Achebe - a native of Ogidi and best known for the classic, Things Fall Apart was the first African writer whose books are standard curricula in schools and universities across the world.
Emeka Anyaoku - the first black Secretary-General of the Commonwealth;
Nwafor Orizu - the first Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Lieutenant-General Chikadibia Isaac Obiakor, appointed in 2008 by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon as Military Advisor on UN Peacekeeping Operations. Previously served as Commander of the Economic Community of West African States Monitoring Group (ECOMOG) Artillery Brigade in Liberia in 1996 and 1997, and as ECOMOG Chief Coordinator of the Liberian elections in July 1997.[9]
Professor Humphrey Nwobu Nwosu. A Professor of Political Science. Former NEC Chairman. Conducted the freest, fairest and most credible election so far in Nigeria.
Chinyelu Onwurah, a British Labour Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament for Newcastle-upon-Tyne Central, becoming the first female British MP of African origin.
Chuka Umunna, a British Labour Party Member of Parliament for Streatham constituency.
Professor Kenneth Dike - a pre-eminent scholar of African History and native of Awka, was the first indigenous Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan and founder of the National Archives.
Professor Ben Enwonwu - a native of Onitsha was the first Nigerian sculptor of international repute with artwork gracing the United Nations headquarters.[10]
Pius Okigbo, CON[7] - a world renowned economist, was the first economic advisor to the Federal government of Nigeria (1960–1962), first Nigerian Ambassador to the European Community and renowned for bringing to light over $12 billion missing in oil windfall receipts from the Central Bank of Nigeria during the first Gulf War.
Professor Samuel Okoye - was black Africa's first PhD in Radio Astronomy who along with Anthony Hewish of the University of Cambridge discovered the radio source of Crab Nebula neutron star.
Ebuka Obi-Uchendu - Writer, television presenter, lawyer and Big Brother reality star. Noted for continuously pushing for a positive outlook on the 'Okija Shrine'.
Chief Jerome Udoji - from Ozubulu [8], a social reformer was the first African to be made a 'D.O' (District Officer) by the Colonial Administration.

Chimamanda Adichie
Others include:

Amobi Okoye - Youngest American football player to play for the NFL (2004), currently plays for the Houston Texans
Chimamanda Adichie - writer who won the Orange Prize for Fiction (2007) and a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship (2008);
Dora Akunyili - ex-head of NAFDAC and current Minister of Information won international awards for cleansing Nigeria of the scourge of fake drugs;
Cardinal Francis Arinze, once considered a potential Pope
Cyprian Ekwensi - MFR, a writer of international repute
Philip Emeagwali - winner of the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize for Supercomputing;
Prof Chike Obi - a Mathematician famous for his work on non-differential equations won the 1985 ICTP Price [9] and developed a special solution for Fermat's Last Theorem [10];
Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu - a native of Nnewi who was the first Nigerian millionaire and first president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange;
Dim Emeka Ojukwu - the leader of the secessionist Biafra Republic;
Osita Osadebe - a popular Nigerian Highlife musician who also holds the Nigerian record for the highest selling album
Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo - a famous economist who spearheaded Nigerian economic reform from 1999–2008 and was ex-head of the Central Bank of Nigeria;
Becky Umeh - dancer, choreographer, and musical director who performed throughout Nigeria 1994 - 2002, and Washington DC, 2002–present.
[[Ezenwenyi Stanley Chidiebere], a great computer engineer,database administrator,and a famous politician. he hails from Umueze in Ezinifite town.
Chinwe Chukwuogo-Roy MBE, a London-based visual artist. The first black artist to paint a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II when commissioned to paint the official Golden Jubilee portrait.[11] She was chosen as one of the UK Women of the Year in 2002 and 2003, represented the UK at the Council of Europe and was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by the University of East Anglia. During 2006 her work was represented on the national postage stamps of six countries. In 2008 she addressed the Cambridge Union[12][13] Chukwuogo-Roy is a regular contributor to the BBC and other current affairs programmes. In 2009 she was made an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by ak47mann(m): 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2011
i think taraba state is the least state in Nigeria, they still found n.a.k.ed tribesmen or bush men in there land cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I GO DIEOOOO lol

Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by aljharem3: 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2011
chy101:

Lagos
Rivers
Anambra
Delta
Kano/Ogun

Ebonyi
Osun
Ekiti
Kwara
Jigawa/Taraba/Gombe/Ondo

Please stop adding anambra to it.

we are measuring popularity of states by factors such as

1. the amount of people migrating to the state
2. the amount of non-indigenes in the state
3. the level political integration of non-indigenes in those state
4. what the state is known for
5. the population of the state

anambra does not top any of these factors I mentioned.

how many non-indigenes does anambra have when compared to lagos, kano, rivers, delta, sokoto

i hope you get my point
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by TEKUTE: 6:41pm On Oct 10, 2011
@alh-harem maybe u hav not been to Anambra b4.try and come nd see for urself, jigawa state is ok, but their problem is there high level of illitracy, is killing them there
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by asha80(m): 6:54pm On Oct 10, 2011
alj_harem:

Please stop adding anambra to it.

we are measuring popularity of states by factors such as

1. the amount of people migrating to the state
2. the amount of non-indigenes in the state
3. the level political integration of non-indigenes in those state
4. what the state is known for
5. the population of the state

anambra does not top any of these factors I mentioned.

how many non-indigenes does anambra have when compared to lagos, kano, rivers, delta, sokoto

i hope you get my point

you do not know anambra state for the bolded reasons
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by asha80(m): 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2011
olawalebab:

I don't understand the parameters use. when the south eastern themselve don't stay in their state. None of the south estern state has a population of 5m

you need to travel outside the southwest.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by dayokanu(m): 7:03pm On Oct 10, 2011
asha 80:

you need to travel outside the southwest.

Any official figure to back it up?

Cos if you claim some estimates said Anambra is 8m, Some estimates can also put Oyo at 12m.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by Obinoscopy(m): 7:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
It seems Nigerians (save for the south easterners) are not good travellers as it would seem they don't know much about other states save for the one they are resident upon.

It is evident from the misinformed comments of some nlers on some states like Anambra.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by asha80(m): 7:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
dayokanu:

Any official figure to back it up?

Cos if you claim some estimates said Anambra is 8m, Some estimates can also put Oyo at 12m.

sorry there is really no official figure that i have.however i am not so sure about 8m but i strongly believe that anambra is not less that 5million.i have travelled round this country and i know what i am saying.
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by dayokanu(m): 7:17pm On Oct 10, 2011
Obinoscopy:

It seems Nigerians (save for the south easterners) are not good travellers as it would seem they don't know much about other states save for the one they are resident upon.

It is evident from the misinformed comments of some nlers on some states like Anambra.

If only you know.

I know ppl from my town travel more than anyone in this country per capita.

Check the number of Ogbomoso ppl all over the North and even in places as far as Ghana

Check the number of Ejigbo ppl in Cote D Ivore which is called Abidjan by Yorubas
Re: Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa? by odumchi: 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2011
Anambra- 8.5 m
Abia- 4.3 m
Enugu- 5.6 m
Imo- 5.2 m
Ebonyi 4.6 m
Delta- 2.2 m Igbos
Rivers- 5.8 m

Also remember that Igbos are a majority so their population will naturally be larger than that of the SS, NC, and NE.

olawalebab:

The porportion of easterners that are in other part of the country far exceed the number of other ethnic that reside in the east. with that scenario, how will the east be more populated than other zone, anambra in particular

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Denies Increasing Motor Vehicle Registration, Number Plate Rates / Gov. Ugwuanyi Directs Fixing Of Potholes, Traffic Lights, Asphalting (Pic) / PDP South East Zonal Congress Holds In Enugu Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.