Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded (75321 Views)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / How Do I Relocate Abroad. HELP!!! / A Single Mum Wants To Relocate Abroad, Needs Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by xandy84: 12:50am On Jul 31, 2023
No. They are in for a long haul. First mistake is too many kids. Average family in US has 2 kids. More than 3 means you will definitely need help from the government as a foreigner, they would not qualify for it which makes it worse for them? Do you know much a daycare cost? I have a 4 year old daughter and her tuition for pre-k4 is $16k a year. Reason why people have less kids is cos kids are expensive and if you relocate with more than 2 kids and they are little kids like 10 and under, you're in a long thing and stress will kill you.

otherway:

They did not consult well.

You know those type of people who keep the plans of travelling abroad secret.

It may be tough now But laslas they will be alright.

Moving abroad I still a good idea.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Badgers14: 12:56am On Jul 31, 2023
loosecanon50:
Traveling abroad without proper planning will always end in tears.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by steadyMoving22: 12:57am On Jul 31, 2023
Japa with a plan.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by xandy84: 12:57am On Jul 31, 2023
You nailed it but you need to include the fifth point. Never, ever leave a decent job in Nigeria and travel abroad. You will end up in group home at least for couple of years when you first get here. All these tech jobs na wash ooo. Maybe when the COVID inspired inflation but now that things had settled, your chances of getting tech job now is close to 1 per cent.

toprealman:
1. Start early
2. Test the waters first before going all the way with entire family.
3. Savings and minimum wage will never be enough to cater for your financial needs as a family.
4. Never ever sell your house in naija. Rent it out.

2 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by emmaodet: 1:11am On Jul 31, 2023
pansophist:

Colonial mentality.

Many just wan touch snow, wear a big jacket like rappers, and breathe out cold smoke for winter from their nose and mouth grin

They must upgrade by fire by force, and if it means selling houses and giving up business, so be it. UK, here we come

grin grin

The saddest part for me are the business men I know doing well and fine in Nigeria.
From 2020 to 2022 December, they just parked up and ran with family to UK.
Sold everything. I mean quarry trailers. 20 tons quarry trailers.
Some have 2, some 5 or more. Ballers in my area that the places they do take me to, big hotels and clubs and burning 100k on sitting. Doing fine and they just throw all these out the window to start afresh??
It is not as if anything happened to their businesses or they are struggling yet they just ran off. Sold off businesses, laid off workers yet we are complaining of unemployment when employers are running off.
It all looks like jazz or juju.
No one says you shouldn't travel but even traveling has categories.
These men are meant to apply for tourist visas or visitation because that is the category they fall into.
Going and coming back from vacations and visitations but No, they collapsed everything.
People who are struggling are the ones permanent relocation or Japa are meant for as an upgrade to their lives and not well to do guys.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by drsibz66(m): 1:18am On Jul 31, 2023
helinues:
Not funny.

Everywhere is an abroad. A British residing in Nigeria is also in abroad

Na so a friend spent N30m relocating to UK with his family. He borrowed money, sold some of his things for 20hours work weekly while the wife can't work.

Why can't his wife work ?..
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by drsibz66(m): 1:21am On Jul 31, 2023
The story isn't entirely true.. you don't need a postgraduate visa to get a job in uk.
The visa she came with can get her a job. The worse is if its a student visa, the student can only work 20hrs and that's if she chooses to comply . While the husband or dependant can work unlimited.

They should be patient and work hard .. they will get there. But 5 children is much and will surely set them back compared to their peers with 1 or 2.

3 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by pansophist(m): 1:22am On Jul 31, 2023
emmaodet:

grin grin

The saddest part for me are the business men I know doing well and fine in Nigeria.
From 2020 to 2022 December, they just parked up and ran with family to UK.
Sold everything. I mean quarry trailers. 20 tons quarry trailers.
Some have 2, some 5 or more. Ballers in my area that the places they do take me to, big hotels and clubs and burning 100k on sitting. Doing fine and they just throw all these out the window to start afresh??
It is not as if anything happened to their businesses or they are struggling yet they just ran off. Sold off businesses, laid off workers yet we are complaining of unemployment when employers are running off.
It all looks like jazz or juju.
No one says you shouldn't travel but even traveling has categories.
These men are meant to apply for tourist visas or visitation because that is the category they fall into.
Going and coming back from vacations and visitations but No, they collapsed everything.
People who are struggling are the ones permanent relocation or Japa are meant for as an upgrade to their lives and not well to do guys.

It's really sad to think.

If I were in their shoes, I'll try to kill two bird with one stone. Even if I'll japa, I won't destroy my financial base back home.

That's my lifeline, and as life uncertainties occurs, I can always fall back to something. It's the same dynamic with the concept of rhe prodigal son.

After he messed up, his father was his fall back option to get back on track. Or a student who's parents are there to catch him financially if he falls.

Or a monkey that will make sure he holds another branches before jumping. As a man, you can't afford to fail, especially when such failure is a result of avoidable mistakes.

The regrets that will emanate from such failures can land one to depression, because you know you forked up. A man can't afford the flexibility of failure simply because people's survival are on him.

Men's responsibilities are non-negotiable by nature. Your children and your wife may change to worse by your bad mistakes. And some mistakes are like a knockout, you will never recover from it. It's downard ever.

They won't understand why they have to suffer, or even a reduction in lifestyle, and even if they adapt tonew realities, you'll loose a part of you. Your pride, honour and respect.

I only pray and hope they do not regret it. It will shatter them to pieces.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by nedekid: 1:25am On Jul 31, 2023
Na wah.
Those that are relatively comfortable here ought to think the japa stuff well. Imagine someone owning a property and selling to relocate. Even if you sell a house ₦100m, with the current exchange rate, 100k pounds.
By the time you pay school fees for masters 15k, buy ticket for family of 5, maybe around 8k, relocation expenses 5k, get there and stay in air b and b for eg 1 month eg in London proper before getting an apartment, another 5k.
You then get the appartmemt, pay rent for 6 months or a year eg 1500 to 2k monthly, omo, you have blown a very reasonable amount from the 100k.
Chop money nko, expenses before your spouse can work is another issue. If the kids are minors, who takes care of them when the spouse goes to work? Forget about daycare or nannies, the money you pay, passes how much you earn from your work.
Anyway, I hear most japa people are suffering except the rich ones. I have a paddy, an executive in a bank that sent his people there under the masters program, he still works here and visits them. I also know a lady that the abroad company she worked here in naija online, moved her abroad, housed her in the carnery Wharf company appartmemt for 2 months till she got her place. Na that one be sucessful japa.
Anyway, on the long run, japa is for the kids, the parents will suffer but ultimately, na the level headed kids go uplift the family.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by poseidon12: 1:30am On Jul 31, 2023
Quintessence44:

Stupid mor.on. Your mother’s stinking cunt is a shithole.

Imbecil.es who learnt ‘shithole’ from racist Trump, and like cursed, stupid cretins, now using it against themselves.

Peabrain dunce, 80% of nations on Earth are DEVELOPING COUNTRIES like Nigeria, and that is what we call them - DEVELOPING COUNTRIES, not ‘shithole’, you stupid airhead.

Nigeria, a developing country I don't think so. Nigeria is an underdeveloped country.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by StudentsNG: 1:38am On Jul 31, 2023
Who told you it takes 20yrs to get a house abroad?

Afamed:
You sold a house here in Nigeria to relocate abroad where it will take you not less than 20 yrs to get a house of your own.

Oyibo JuJu don work on you

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by poseidon12: 1:45am On Jul 31, 2023
juman:
Our new president will make nigeria a better place and hopeful country to be.
Jagaban knows the way.

Just as he made Lagos a better place right You better keep quiet.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by poseidon12: 1:49am On Jul 31, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm running my personal projects, while my wife paid N12.5m of her own funds to buy land back in Nigeria, within a year of moving abroad. While she was in Nigeria, her employer was paying her N45,000 per month and doing guy on top.

What worked for Adam might not work for Adamu.

12.5m within a year of moving abroad? Got to be cocaine things or fraud.

4 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by hosemujica: 2:00am On Jul 31, 2023
Tinyemeka:

I'm running my personal projects, while my wife paid N12.5m of her own funds to buy land back in Nigeria, within a year of moving abroad. While she was in Nigeria, her employer was paying her N45,000 per month and doing guy on top.

this is hard to believe sorry.

3 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by cococandy(f): 2:04am On Jul 31, 2023
poseidon12:

that’s what you think? Smh

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by hosemujica: 2:19am On Jul 31, 2023
poseidon12:

I swear I did not see your post before I quoted him. Mhen I can believe him if he breaks it down.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by ariesbull: 2:22am On Jul 31, 2023
Lilimax:
My two siblings and there family just relocated last Wednesday; one japa to the US and the other to Canada.

Our last born told me that the last person to leave Nigeria should lock Nigeria with the key and throw it to the River Niger grin
abroad no easy ! How many billionaires in Nigeria made it in abroad ?

My dear I no fit

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by ariesbull: 2:28am On Jul 31, 2023
Tinyemeka:

stories....12.5 m a year

Liel

2 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by ariesbull: 2:28am On Jul 31, 2023
hosemujica:
this is hard to believe sorry.
No mind him
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by kushe: 3:53am On Jul 31, 2023
Canadians are leaving Canada in droves, Calfornia residents are fleeing California to other states and some to the Carribean or central America yet if you tell Nigerians,you are an enemy.
Our best bet like someone mentioned earlier is to fix our country and like another person said,the most most people will experience by relocating is a change of environment.
Like the Americans,we need to start trying out other states. If Lagos is too tight for a whole family, maybe it is time to explore other opportunities in Abeokuta or Ilesha,Asaba or Jos.
If the goal is to earn a decent living,there are people killing it outside Lagos, Abuja or Portharcout but we never look in that direction because of the herd effect or mass hysteria of relocating abroad. Nothing dey abroad but una no go hear. Dog wey go lost no dey sensitive to the whistling of the hunter.
Most people have made up their minds contrary to sound advice just like when people are warned not to break their vows because of a new flame,but dem no dey hear till eventually.........
The UK,Canada,US even Dubai is the new chick.
Wait till she comot makeup and off cloth then you go know say your wife gangan naa the gem.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 31, 2023
Lilimax:
My two siblings and there family just relocated last Wednesday; one japa to the US and the other to Canada.

Our last born told me that the last person to leave Nigeria should lock Nigeria with the key and throw it to the River Niger grin

Abhi na. The US government will give them 30 million dollars upon landing in America. Free housing, free cars, free healthcare etc. most people that japa to America earn over $1M per month from menial jobs. Nigeria is a bad country I swear. Your last born, in a month time from now will soon buy his own house in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Nobody: 3:56am On Jul 31, 2023
ednut1:
5 children on student visa Madness

And so? The UK government will give them 30 million pounds upon landing in UK. Free housing, free cars, free healthcare etc. most people that japa to America earn over $1M per month from menial jobs. Nigeria is a bad country I swear. I have an uncle who japa with his family to UK. After a month over there, he bought a duplex worth over 300 million naira in Nigeria and that’s just below his monthly earning over there. Naira don cast, make people japa abeg
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by planetx: 4:11am On Jul 31, 2023
helinues:
Not funny.

Everywhere is an abroad. A British residing in Nigeria is also in abroad

Na so a friend spent N30m relocating to UK with his family. He borrowed money, sold some of his things for 20hours work weekly while the wife can't work.
Like someone said up there, this oyinbo juju makes our own juju look like kindergarten. Can you imagine #30 million lol.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by jimb(m): 4:12am On Jul 31, 2023
na undergraduate visa she carry move. with five children? impossible
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by kushe: 4:12am On Jul 31, 2023
TheNewAgeFarmer:
Never borrow money to relocate abroad so there won’t be pressure on you to send money home when you have not settled.
But if you have a house, car, gold please sell them all and relocate legally abroad. Don’t mind this fake storyline.
The man can work 12 hours shift and the woman can get a remote job.

I feel so sorry for this mindset.
Time will definitely tell who was right and who was wrong. Nigerians, pls don't turn frustration into desperation. Turn your frustration into creativity and let God open the good of this land to you.

For those of you lying to get likes and comments your bad days are near.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by planetx: 4:39am On Jul 31, 2023
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by dennisworld1(m): 4:45am On Jul 31, 2023
bisimilahi772:

Thanks for your response I have already gotten the Canada visiting visa. I’m asking what can I do to get a job or get something doing
do u know anyone there
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Gokoyer0(m): 4:52am On Jul 31, 2023
Don't mind them. Many Nigerians live to work in diaspora. They are strangers to their kids. I will repeat it, if you are doing pretty well in Nigeria and you are not less than 35 yrs, and you are not in tech, and your are not in medical field, stay your ass down and build your empire for your kids to travel to anywhere they want for their studies. Don't sell off your property!

In Youkay, If you get security job, you must throw party for hommies grin. People like us dey Nigeria but we still dey abroad. I got friends and relatives scatter across the world. I will only go abroad to get my own tech money grin

Many of them are close to 40 or above 40, no tech skills, and not in medical fields, the struggle will be real in UK for them. Right now, even in some parts of UK, some nurses are not getting enough shifts. Person go just be living to work menial jobs for years. To survive with minimum wage, you got to do overtime.

Most of that extra jobs are nerve cracking jobs o. Standing for several hours everyday such as toilet cleaning, dishwasher, mid-night newspaper delivery or cleaning up sh.tting old white people asses. In many parts of Europe, people do this job for decades grin. A friend of mine in Germany was talking about cleaning job without any shame. He has msc degree from Nigeria. He has been institutionalized patapata. grin
I respect people engaging in those jobs but me? No way.

Funny thing is that Nairalanders that are experiencing this used to keep quiet here.

Lastly and to reiterate, anyone struggling in Nigeria should leave if they have the means but don't sell your house in gbanjo o grin.
whemmytopsy:

Extra job Kwa??, body no be firewood o....person go just die.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by toprealman: 4:58am On Jul 31, 2023
xandy84:
You nailed it but you need to include the fifth point. Never, ever leave a decent job in Nigeria and travel abroad. You will end up in group home at least for couple of years when you first get here. All these tech jobs na wash ooo. Maybe when the COVID inspired inflation but now that things had settled, your chances of getting tech job now is close to 1 per cent.

Artificial intelligence is demystifying this tech matter, many jobs in tech are going down

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by LtChisom: 5:12am On Jul 31, 2023
Quintessence44:

People in UK wey dey jubilate when dem find security work, na him you sell your house carry 5 kids go UK.

Naija people no just get sense, especially when it concern oyinbo.

Dem go just turn mumu dey do nonsense like say oyinbo jazz them.

Even if you offer English man 5 million pound a year job for Nigeria, he can NEVER sell his house in England even he takes the job.

But a Nigerian will sell his house, leave his well paid job and gather his family to travel, in the HOPE that success will come there.

No be oyinbo juju be that?
Who Did you vote for in this last election for presidency, governor, house of rep and assembly?
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Love56743: 5:14am On Jul 31, 2023
About from drug business and fraud it's very difficult to make it in abroad, some people abroad there are trees will people go and puck money, here in India I know how many of their citizens that normally beg me money..
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Abufo: 5:17am On Jul 31, 2023
Quintessence44:

Airhead. I know EXACTLY when you Moro.ns began using the word ‘shithole’ to smear Nigeria, and it was after Trump the racist KKK champion reportedly termed African nations “shithole countries”.

A criminal, fascist, neo-nazi racist thug with no morals who is under 70 felony charges in the US as we speak, is whom you learnt the term from, to describe your country, because you are a bunch of stupid, self-hating peabrains drowned in inferiority complex and lacking in basic common sense and dignity.

If your country was stellar paeople will not leave sir...............let us clean up our act first....then face our haterz abroad!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lady Killed By A Hit And Run Driver In Sapele, Delta. Do You Know Her? (Graphic) / Nigerian Man Travelling To Saudi Arabia On Bicycle (Photos) / Moment Airbus A340 Passenger Plane Lands In Antarctica For The First Time(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.