Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,324 members, 7,836,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder (34648 Views)

Liberia Deports Four Nigerians 10 Years After Bank Robbery Conviction / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) / The Moment A Ship Sank In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Litmus: 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2023
This is the true story below:

THREE African migrants have been found clinging to the rudder of an oil tanker after surviving 11 gruelling days at sea.

The stowaways were rescued by the Spanish coastguard in the Canary Islands yesterday, where they were rushed to hospital suffering with severe dehydration.

According to the ship-tracking website Marine Traffic, the men were onboard the oil and chemical tanker Alithini II, which departed from Lagos, Nigeria.

The men, believed to be of sub-Saharan origin, were sighted in their precarious position at the port of Las Palmas, on the Spanish isle Gran Canaria.

Local media Canarias Ahora reported the men had been seeking a better life in Europe.

The photo distributed by Salvamento Maritimo, the maritime safety and rescue society, showed the men exhausted and in desperate need of medical attention.

They were found on the rudder blade, which is outside of the hull of the ship and is usually submerged.

Salvamento Maritimo authorities said on Twitter it was a lucky voyage, considering the extreme exposure to the sea and wind.

Authorities said: "They have been transferred to the port and treated by health services."

According to Sky News, it is not the first time migrants have tried to stow away on the rudder of a ship.

In October 2020, four people clung to a rudder of an oil tanker from Lagos, hiding for 10 days before Police discovered them on the vessel.

The number of migrants crossing from north Africa to the Canary Islands has spiked since 2019.

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by gaskiyamagana: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2023
xandy84:
Brazil is not heaven one bit and no country is closer to heaven in this world. After living in US for 10 years, I can tell you is little better than Nigeria and some areas in US is worse than Bariga for real. The crime rate, unemployment in Brazil will rival the one in Nigeria. That is a fact.
Before taking you serious, give us more facts on the corruption, care, protection and general welfare of the citizens of Brazil compare to Nigeria .

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by soccerlite: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2023
They risked it all

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by chickenjefp: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2023
Those two guys wey comeback know say Brazil na matter of leave my village come Lagos. Wahala! Wahala!!Wahala ii!
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Litmus: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2023
Above is the true story. And Africans off different West Africa nationality regularly stowaway on ships from ports in Lagos.

Nothing to do with Brazil.

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by UnfairLife7(m): 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Women can never be this foolish. I trust women never to try something as foolish as this. These men are probably running away from the Law and LAPO
your country is useless. Poverty everywhere with unemployed youths
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by ufotunang: 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

SMH

Gabon

Kenya

Morocco

The only good thing in Brazil is booze, food and women

I've lived in Sao Paulo and escaped death twice by unknown gunmen
... unknown gun men?..so Brazil has high crime rate or ?
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by 007kjb: 4:27pm On Aug 03, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Morocco is an European country abi?

Morocco is an Arab

Calling them AFRICANS aggravates them

Maybe u didn't follow world cup seasons

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by UnfairLife7(m): 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
007kjb:

Morocco is an Arab

Calling them AFRICANS aggravates them

Maybe u didn't follow world cup seasons
they're Africa. Go check map
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by ufotunang: 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
Exhale21:
How far people are willing to go to leave this hell
...abi...to leave this renewed shege administration
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by xandy84: 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
I am actually not comparing Brazil to Nigeria. Brazil is a developing country while Nigeria is consider underdeveloped country but crime rate and unemployment is prevalent in both countries. Do you know thousands of Brazilians travel to southern border of US to claim asylum yearly? They would have stayed in their country is Brazil is better as people make us believe.
Only fools will risk their lives to travel abroad cos wherever you're going, such a place has it challenges and you will not turn millionaires overnight just because you land for Europe or US. Traveling abroad is good but not at the expense of your life. They are beggar in the street of New York so they say.

tensazangetsu20:

Lol Nigeria's unemployment rate is over 50 percent. Brazil's unemployment rate is less than 20 percent. Both countries are the same population. You can't compare Nigeria to Brazil. That is an insult on Brazil itself.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Purvan(m): 4:30pm On Aug 03, 2023
SayNo2SmallPrik:

Your papa no get intl passport. Na bank account and SIM card make you get NIN sef. Village rat

Gerraouttahere C0cksucker
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:31pm On Aug 03, 2023
xandy84:
I am actually not comparing Brazil to Nigeria. Brazil is a developing country while Nigeria is consider underdeveloped country but crime rate and unemployment is prevalent in both countries. Do you know thousands of Brazilians travel to southern border of US to claim asylum yearly? They would have stayed in their country is Brazil is better as people make us believe.
Only fools will risk their lives to travel abroad cos wherever you're going, such a place has it challenges and you will not turn millionaires overnight just because you land for Europe or US. Traveling abroad is good but not at the expense of your life. They are beggar in the street of New York so they say.

You are a very big liar. The visa rejection rates for Brazilian citizens is less than 3 percent. This puts Brazil as one of the top contenders for the US VWP list. Why would any Brazilian citizen cross the Darien gap to come to the US illegally when getting a US visa from Brazil is very easy. You guys lie a lot on nairaland and it's nauseating. I am in Chile and Chilean citizens don't even need a visa to go to the US or Canada whereas some people called Chile a shithole on nairaland.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by FreeStuffsNG: 4:33pm On Aug 03, 2023
UnfairLife7:
your country is useless. Poverty everywhere with unemployed youths
Nigeria is useless to you and will forever remain useless to you, Nigeria will forever withhold her blessings from you. When you sow in the land, it will not bear you any fruit. Nigeria will never bless you and will curse you back forever

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by xandy84: 4:33pm On Aug 03, 2023
I am not discouraging anyone from going to Brazil. In fact, I believe Brazil is a step up from Nigeria but risking your lives to travel to US, Canada or Europe does not worth it. Considering risk and reward factors, you can lose your life being store away dying a violent death.
Let me rephrase it. I will rather be a mechanic in Lagos than store way to Brazil. Simple.

[quote author=gaskiyamagana post=124856475][/quote]
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by frog12: 4:34pm On Aug 03, 2023
these men are a disgrace. disgracing us around the world. can you imagine, a pentecostal pastor that tells people to pray to GOD. he himself did not get any answer from GOD. the problem is once they have done it, they will do it again, and you will see copycats. everything is a state of mind. at their age, they can't live with content

this is bad, and the brazil they land on, is even worser. worse crimes are in brazil, you become drug dealer.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Purvan(m): 4:36pm On Aug 03, 2023
ufotunang:
... unknown gun men?..so Brazil has high crime rate or ?

Not high crime rate

Depends on where you reside in Brazil

If you live in one those of favelas and you no be street

Just expect to get robbed every time
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
God, please have mercy on us.
Omo eleran tiko ri egun je!
The child of a butcher who cannot even get bones to crack!!!
Ki lati fe seyi si?
Ronu oooo!!!!

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by frog12: 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
wetin happen there?

tojahh:
Chai

This reminds me of my trip to Palermo via Tripoli (Libya). Mehn don suffer sha.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by xandy84: 4:38pm On Aug 03, 2023
You could at least ask to to explain. First, Brazilians don't take the jungle route. They fly to Mexico and walk to the border to claim asylum and when there was uptick in Brazilians claiming asylum, US government pressure mexico to restrict Brazil free visa policy which mexico did.
Brazilians are not that much into traveling but I can tell you if you care to listen, traveling as store way to Brazil is a waste of time, energy and a worthless risk.

tensazangetsu20:

You are a very big liar. The visa rejection rates for Brazilian citizens is less than 3 percent. This puts Brazil as one of the top contenders for the US VWP list. Why would any Brazilian citizen cross the Darien gap to come to the US illegally when getting a US visa from Brazil is very easy. You guys lie a lot on nairaland and it's nauseating. I am in Chile and Chilean citizens don't even need a visa to go to the US or Canada whereas some people called Chile a shithole on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Rhozabeth(m): 4:38pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

SMH

Brazil is just like nigeria bruh but without the hardship instead more crimes

There's no heaven in Brazil except you're rich
Even being rich in Brazil has its risks. They are most times target of criminals!

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by frog12: 4:39pm On Aug 03, 2023
you can not reason with them, tinubu is their saviour grin

BoldBrainz:
See these Yoruba people o grin!

After foolishly voting for Tinubu and standing on his retarded mandate, you're stowing away in ships to escape the effects of the governance of the same thieving charlatan you stubbornly voted for cause of tribe and religion.

They should deport the bastard back to Ibadan let him join the army and eat Tinubu's maize!

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by lexy2014: 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2023
The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil.
grin grin cheesy

they were shocked like buhari. they should thank God that the ship wasnt going to Haiti or Gambia. wetin dem for do?

meanwhile, stowaway-a-thon activated
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by frog12: 4:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
people like you are foolish. i have been to west african countries. you are complaining of nothing. pray you don't meet wrong people in brazil.

tensazangetsu20:

Have you travelled or lived in Brazil. I have travelled to over 14 African countries and lived there and I am telling you that Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any African country and you are saying I am capping. You guys don't know how backward Africa is.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by AngelicBeing: 4:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
ibechris:
Those guys will not return to Nigeria,because Brazil is very much lenient to immigrants.
Gbamsulotely, from Asylum / Aduro, they will grant them PR and next will be their Brazilian Citizenship cheesy
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
frog12:
people like you are foolish. i have been to west african countries. you are complaining of nothing. pray you don't meet wrong people in brazil.

Chochocho grin grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Fmghewzy(m): 4:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Have you travelled or lived in Brazil. I have travelled to over 14 African countries and lived there and I am telling you that Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any African country and you are saying I am capping. You guys don't know how backward Africa is.

I wouldn't be surprised if your definition of heaven is by fine pictures and amazing scenery.

Talk about the standard of living.
Crime Rate
Health care ..
Education.

There are about 54 countries in Africa , there is no way Brazil beats all of them .

So stop capping.

I won't be surprised if you say North Korea is better than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Untube: 4:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Thank God they survived.

You see how Opemipo and Friday planned their trip? Tribalism kill you there😂
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Gerrard59(m): 4:43pm On Aug 03, 2023
xandy84:

This bloody cretin resides in the US and complains foolishly. If the USA is that bad, move your smelly yansh back to Nigeria!!!!!!

Nigeria has a higher unemployment rate than Brazil. Check LinkedIn to confirm. Brazil has more than TEN TIMES MORE JOBS than Nigeria. It's right there on LinkedIn bloody liar! You think this is 2000 where you people lie brazenly and stoopidly?!!!

It's Central Americans who move illegally to the US not Brazilians. Brazilians are middle class folks.

Please stop lying stupidly. It's annoying!

Look at the rejection rate of Brazilians in obtaining non immigrant visa to the US. Less than 20%! The same people you lied foolishly are moving illegally to the US? You are a cretinous fvcktard!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:43pm On Aug 03, 2023
xandy84:
You could at least ask to to explain. First, Brazilians don't take the jungle route. They fly to Mexico and walk to the border to claim asylum and when there was uptick in Brazilians claiming asylum, US government pressure mexico to restrict Brazil free visa policy which mexico did.
Brazilians are not that much into traveling but I can tell you if you care to listen, traveling as store way to Brazil is a waste of time, energy and a worthless risk.

I don't know about this but I know that getting a US visa from Brazil is very easy. The rejection rates are very low. So why would anyone want to move to mexico and get into the US illegally except the person is doing something illegal like drugs or human trafficking.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by frog12: 4:43pm On Aug 03, 2023
i am surprised, they made that trip. these types of people, nothing will convince them not to make dangerous trips, they will still do it.

Reference:
They are lucky that the weather was good. In serious storms they will not stand a chance on that rudder. The forces will simply tear them apart.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by deji17: 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2023
Nazgul:
Please I want to ask. The oil Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar... etc has, is the same oil we have here in Nigeria?

Cos with the kind of oil and other mineral resources we have in this country, it's almost impossible to believe that Nigeria has one of the lowest GDP per capita in the world. It's citizens are languishing in abject poverty.
It's because of our huge unproductive population.
Divide $20 billion dollars by 200 million people and divide $60 billion dollars by 3 million people. The answer you get is the reason you are looking for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Accident Along Benin-Asaba Expressway In Igbodo, Delta Kills 4 (Graphic Pics) / 3 Nigerians Detained For Entering India Without Documents / Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.