Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,418 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times (27825 Views)

How Would You Handle A Partner's Drastic Personality Change During Hard Times? / Effective Ways Of Connecting With Your Kids After Divorce Or Separation / Woman's Wedding Ring Refuses To Be Removed, Finger Set To Be Cut - Facebook User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by GideonOludayomi(m): 12:09pm On Aug 12, 2023
There is no gainsaying that the current economic situation in Nigeria has forced many individuals and families to think of ways to cut costs, save money and what to do to earn more. As we all know, inflation is on the rise but income is in coma. However, saving money doesn’t have to be a difficult task. Here are six effective ways you can adapt in these hard times.

1. Cook and Eat at Home
This is very essential because it is most certainly one of the compulsory daily engagements you must have. Eating out can be tempting and convenient, but it can also be very costly. Cooking and eating at home not only saves money but also provides an opportunity to eat healthier. Cooking at home allows you to control the ingredients and portions you consume.

2. Use Public Transportation and Plan your Movements
Sentiments set aside, owning and maintaining a car particularly at a time like this, can be very expensive, but using public transportation can save a lot of money. Public transportation, though it comes with so much hassles, is not only cost-effective but also good for the environment. Carpooling or cycling can also save money while providing a good exercise routine.
Another important thing you should do is to plan your movements. Basically, this is not about avoiding to go to some places but more about synergising your movements. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where instead of stopping at the market on your way from office, you had to get home and then return again to the market. That is not smart. This is the time to have a plan book where you can itemize your to-do list.

3. Buy Smartly
Purchasing groceries in bulk, comparing prices, and taking advantage of sales and discounts can result in significant savings.
Shopping at local markets instead of supermarkets can also save money on groceries. Make a grocery list and stick to it to prevent impulsive buying.
For instance, do you know that there are very cheap and more voluminous data subscriptions that can save you money? Data is life and no doubt, many of us now spend a chunk of our income on data subscriptions. A smart buy would be to go for the more voluminous data plans at cheaper rates.

4. Cancel Unnecessary Subscriptions
Subscriptions for streaming services, magazines or other monthly services can add up quickly and become a significant expense. Take a closer look at your subscriptions and cancel any that you don't use or need. You should consider sharing subscriptions with friends or family to split the cost.

5. Repair Instead of Replacing
When something breaks, it's often tempting to replace it with something new. However, repairing items instead of replacing them can save a lot of money in the long run. Learn basic repair skills or take broken items to a repair shop instead of immediately buying new ones.
Recently, I was able to overhaul all my old shoes simply by taking them to a competent shoemaker to remake them with new leathers. Guess what, it only cost to fix three shoes the same amount it would cost me to buy just a single shoe. This is a time to get creative.

6. Negotiate Bills and Contracts
Negotiating bills and contracts can result in significant savings. I know some of us could be so tender-hearted when it comes to haggling but hey, this is not a time to turn father Christmas. Always do an on-the-spot analysis of value derived from any product or service you are billed for and negotiate accordingly.
Don't be surprised, many traders and service providers just indiscriminately adjust prices on hearsays. And without any thorough analysis, they wrongly inflate prices against the actual value being given. The truth is this, they are business men whose goal is to make profit. You are the one that needs to be smart by negotiating every bill in fairness to the value you are getting.

By implementing these six ways to cut costs in hard times in Nigeria, individuals and families can further reduce expenses and improve their financial situation. It takes some effort and discipline but cutting costs is an effective way to save money during tough economic times.

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by izuch(m): 12:36pm On Aug 12, 2023
Will it ever get better?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by BluntCrazeMan: 12:49pm On Aug 12, 2023
Following the FTC Person Back-to-back
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by BluntCrazeMan: 12:49pm On Aug 12, 2023
izuch:
Will it ever get better?

Since 1980s..

We had been hearing E GO BETTER.!!

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by nurey(m): 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Since I was wise after coming into this world all I hear is Nigeria go better. 55years after, nothing has changed, it even got worse.

Buhari supervised the destruction of the economy now Tinubu would put a nail to the coffin. As dog no dey eat dog, Tinubu won't make Buhari and his gang of thieves vomit our yam after all nah Buhari conjure am for there.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Skillsnigeria: 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Noted
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by remi4ever(m): 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Let me save you coat by developing your backend Solution, website and mobile applications for you.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Missyajoke(f): 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Avoid unnecessary spending

17 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Stanley1155: 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
You don't understand shishi no dey.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by mariahAngel(f): 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
undecided
These "hard times" must favour me and my family.
We must continue to enjoy our lives, regardless of the situation.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by meum: 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Trek more (it’s exercise & it’s good for the body)

Lapping inside the bus to cut cost😊

9 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Ate247(m): 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2023
Cancel unnecessary subscription. Eg. DSTV.

15 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Chijeep(m): 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2023
the most hardest thing I've done ever since Tinubu put himself 4 aso rock was the day I saw LIKE for OBI and SHARE for TINUBU. I Mistakenly press share but immediately; I UNSHARE, LOGOUT ON NL, OFF MY PHONE AND ON IT BACK TO ENSURE THAT THE SHARE DIDN'T TAKE EFFECT
grin grin grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by 001Lagos: 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2023
So I should be negotiating because of N200 differences on groceries ?

Who N200 help

3 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by HateBigots: 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2023
grin... Thunder will fire the APC mod that keeps banning me for posting this picture🖕🏾...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Danidinho4: 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2023
It doesn't get better cry
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by pocom35: 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2023
Trek if you have to

7 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Airlohim(m): 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2023
So Nairaland actually admits that we're in hard times? I thought they're covering for bulaba?

14 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by MykellOni(m): 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
Lol! Na this kind time you go know say no big man again!...
Sometimes I honestly wonder how we survive in this country. Seriously speaking, e be like say e get one special grace wey God dey give us to take sustain for naija.
Suffer no pass like this for bible b4 those women begin kill each other children chop to survive ooo

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Adrian9(m): 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2023
Grow as much food as you can in your home, especially cassava and vegetables. Keeping livestock is a good alternative too especially those that fend for themselves.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by nexta007(m): 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Following the FTC Person Back-to-back

"E go only better" for those whe hear am, Believe am and work according to the demands of that talk. E better for many people na
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by izuch(m): 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

Since 1980s..

So e no go ever better be that?

2 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by AllBlack: 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
6 WAYS WE CAN ACTUALLY ENJOY THE RICH NATURAL RESOURCES GOD BLESSED US WITH IN THIS COUNTRY.

How about that?

or Nigerians came to spend their whole lifetime in management and downward adjustments.

4 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Vipro(m): 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
001Lagos:
So I should be negotiating because of N200 differences on groceries ?

Who N200 help
Help me with N200 boss

3 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by AllBlack: 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2023
Vipro:
Help me with N200 boss

you call person Boss on top 200. Your matter need first aid oh.

7 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by DanielsParker(m): 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2023
Wish two people can share dstv sub , that’s the only thing that keeps me at home. I know subscribing to Netflix and using data to watch isn’t any cheaper .

I have reduced the amount of meat I cook with,
I have reduced my movements with car to avoid buying fuel always.
I have been saying no to unnecessary billing.
My data still remains 5k for 40GB airtel.
Also curtailed unnecessary outing for beer and meat and unnecessary dates with ladies. If you no Dey come house , or take a walk with me in the park, forget it.

Times are hard no doubts.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by ceejay80s(m): 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2023
Ate247:
Cancel unnecessary subscription. Eg. DSTV.
And gotv ....I cancelled mine 5months ago,
I prefer downloading movies at the office and watching on my tv at home than subscribing to repeat movies

8 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by gentleguy1975: 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

Since 1980s..

I still remember, even as a small boy then,austerity measure!

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by illicit(m): 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
If u are single (male)

Avoid sit outs or after parties

For now, anybody wan see u, come to ur house and have some smoothies

Stay at home

9 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by CodeTemplar: 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
Avoid impulsive buying.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Generator Fumes Kill Two Ladies In Edo (Photos) / Being Married To A Nigerian Is Hard Sometimes / Why Do Most Breadwinner Wives Deprive Their Husbands Intimacy In Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.