Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times (27848 Views)

How Would You Handle A Partner's Drastic Personality Change During Hard Times? / Effective Ways Of Connecting With Your Kids After Divorce Or Separation / Woman's Wedding Ring Refuses To Be Removed, Finger Set To Be Cut - Facebook User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by intruder15(m): 2:37pm On Aug 12, 2023
GideonOludayomi:

There is no gainsaying that the current economic situation in Nigeria has forced many individuals and families to think of ways to cut costs, save money and what to do to earn more. As we all know, inflation is on the rise but income is in coma. However, saving money doesn’t have to be a difficult task. Here are six effective ways you can adapt in these hard times.

1. Cook and Eat at Home
This is very essential because it is most certainly one of the compulsory daily engagements you must have. Eating out can be tempting and convenient, but it can also be very costly. Cooking and eating at home not only saves money but also provides an opportunity to eat healthier. Cooking at home allows you to control the ingredients and portions you consume.

2. Use Public Transportation and Plan your Movements
Sentiments set aside, owning and maintaining a car particularly at a time like this, can be very expensive, but using public transportation can save a lot of money. Public transportation, though it comes with so much hassles, is not only cost-effective but also good for the environment. Carpooling or cycling can also save money while providing a good exercise routine.
Another important thing you should do is to plan your movements. Basically, this is not about avoiding to go to some places but more about synergising your movements. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where instead of stopping at the market on your way from office, you had to get home and then return again to the market. That is not smart. This is the time to have a plan book where you can itemize your to-do list.

3. Buy Smartly
Purchasing groceries in bulk, comparing prices, and taking advantage of sales and discounts can result in significant savings.
Shopping at local markets instead of supermarkets can also save money on groceries. Make a grocery list and stick to it to prevent impulsive buying.
For instance, do you know that there are very cheap and more voluminous data subscriptions that can save you money? Data is life and no doubt, many of us now spend a chunk of our income on data subscriptions. A smart buy would be to go for the more voluminous data plans at cheaper rates.

4. Cancel Unnecessary Subscriptions
Subscriptions for streaming services, magazines or other monthly services can add up quickly and become a significant expense. Take a closer look at your subscriptions and cancel any that you don't use or need. You should consider sharing subscriptions with friends or family to split the cost.

5. Repair Instead of Replacing
When something breaks, it's often tempting to replace it with something new. However, repairing items instead of replacing them can save a lot of money in the long run. Learn basic repair skills or take broken items to a repair shop instead of immediately buying new ones.
Recently, I was able to overhaul all my old shoes simply by taking them to a competent shoemaker to remake them with new leathers. Guess what, it only cost to fix three shoes the same amount it would cost me to buy just a single shoe. This is a time to get creative.

6. Negotiate Bills and Contracts
Negotiating bills and contracts can result in significant savings. I know some of us could be so tender-hearted when it comes to haggling but hey, this is not a time to turn father Christmas. Always do an on-the-spot analysis of value derived from any product or service you are billed for and negotiate accordingly.
Don't be surprised, many traders and service providers just indiscriminately adjust prices on hearsays. And without any thorough analysis, they wrongly inflate prices against the actual value being given. The truth is this, they are business men whose goal is to make profit. You are the one that needs to be smart by negotiating every bill in fairness to the value you are getting.

By implementing these six ways to cut costs in hard times in Nigeria, individuals and families can further reduce expenses and improve their financial situation. It takes some effort and discipline but cutting costs is an effective way to save money during tough economic times.

Number 1 is wrong in most part of Lagos. It's cheaper to eat outside than cook at home. Even with the inflation, with 1k, you go chop belle full. With 3k you may not have cooked anything meaningful.

Cooking at home is only profitable to a large family e.g family of 3 upwards.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Sequence23(m): 2:37pm On Aug 12, 2023
I don dey cut cost so tay there's nothing to cut again except for number 3. May this bulaba regime favor me and my family regardless

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by amanzejude(m): 2:54pm On Aug 12, 2023
THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE COST IS TO MAKE MORE MONEY IN US DOLLARS.

START TRADING FOREX TODAY TO EARN IN DOLLARS.

I TEACH FOREX TRADING FOR FREE.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2023
AllBlack:

you call person Boss on top 200. Your matter need first aid oh.

Perhaps he wanted to type #2000.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
intruder15:

Number 1 is wrong in most part of Lagos. It's cheaper to eat outside than cook at home. Even with the inflation, with 1k, you go chop belle full. With 3k you may not have cooked anything meaningful.

Cooking at home is only profitable to a large family e.g family of 3 upwards.

I'm sure you are living in those Okokomaiko, Ajegunle, Ijora Badia Area for you to say 1k food will belle full a healthy reasonable adult.

1k food is probably for Poverty Stricken People with no any form good nutrition.

Well as for me i reside around Magodo Area and Where i usually eat out, One Fish alone is #1000, Meat #500, I spend an average of #4000 on breakfast alone and this is just an Average Restaurant.

2 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by vickydevoka(m): 3:05pm On Aug 12, 2023
GideonOludayomi:

There is no gainsaying that the current economic situation in Nigeria has forced many individuals and families to think of ways to cut costs, save money and what to do to earn more. As we all know, inflation is on the rise but income is in coma. However, saving money doesn’t have to be a difficult task. Here are six effective ways you can adapt in these hard times.

1. Cook and Eat at Home
This is very essential because it is most certainly one of the compulsory daily engagements you must have. Eating out can be tempting and convenient, but it can also be very costly. Cooking and eating at home not only saves money but also provides an opportunity to eat healthier. Cooking at home allows you to control the ingredients and portions you consume.

Sentiments set aside, owning and maintaining a car particularly at a time like this, can be very expensive, but using public transportation can save a lot of money. Public transportation, though it comes with so much hassles, is not only cost-effective but also good for the environment. Carpooling or cycling can also save money while providing a good exercise routine.
Another important thing you should do is to plan your movements. Basically, this is not about avoiding to go to some places but more about synergising your movements. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where instead of stopping at the market on your way from office, you had to get home and then return again to the market. That is not smart. This is the time to have a plan book where you can itemize your to-do list.

3. Buy Smartly
Purchasing groceries in bulk, comparing prices, and taking advantage of sales and discounts can result in significant savings.
Shopping at local markets instead of supermarkets can also save money on groceries. Make a grocery list and stick to it to prevent impulsive buying.
For instance, do you know that there are very cheap and more voluminous data subscriptions that can save you money? Data is life and no doubt, many of us now spend a chunk of our income on data subscriptions. A smart buy would be to go for the more voluminous data plans at cheaper rates.

Subscriptions for streaming services, magazines or other monthly services can add up quickly and become a significant expense. Take a closer look at your subscriptions and cancel any that you don't use or need. You should consider sharing subscriptions with friends or family to split the cost.

When something breaks, it's often tempting to replace it with something new. However, repairing items instead of replacing them can save a lot of money in the long run. Learn basic repair skills or take broken items to a repair shop instead of immediately buying new ones.
Recently, I was able to overhaul all my old shoes simply by taking them to a competent shoemaker to remake them with new leathers. Guess what, it only cost to fix three shoes the same amount it would cost me to buy just a single shoe. This is a time to get creative.

Negotiating bills and contracts can result in significant savings. I know some of us could be so tender-hearted when it comes to haggling but hey, this is not a time to turn father Christmas. Always do an on-the-spot analysis of value derived from any product or service you are billed for and negotiate accordingly.
Don't be surprised, many traders and service providers just indiscriminately adjust prices on hearsays. And without any thorough analysis, they wrongly inflate prices against the actual value being given. The truth is this, they are business men whose goal is to make profit. You are the one that needs to be smart by negotiating every bill in fairness to the value you are getting.

By implementing these six ways to cut costs in hard times in Nigeria, individuals and families can further reduce expenses and improve their financial situation. It takes some effort and discipline but cutting costs is an effective way to save money during tough economic times.
Na una put us dis mess come de give us usles idea

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by worksmart(m): 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2023
How is the economy going to survive ?
If we stop going out and spending businesses will close down, then many people would become jobless and the downward spiral continues.

We need to try and maintain our normal lifestyles, we have to find innovative ways to get what we need despite higher prices.

I think bartering is the future because the money system is open to abuse by politicians like Bola The Virus

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Goldbw122(m): 3:16pm On Aug 12, 2023
GideonOludayomi:

1. Cook and Eat at Home

3. Buy Smartly

Ai suggestion, well if you want to survive, look for opportunity and work hard and work smart..
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by RosyIsBlessed: 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2023
Versal:

Your Bible horror messages are only true in Africa Nigeria.
Developed nations do not give a phuck about your Bible.

This is only in your imagination.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by DaRuud(m): 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2023
[color=#990000][/color]
Chijeep:
the most hardest thing I've done ever since Tinubu put himself 4 aso rock was the day I saw LIKE for OBI and SHARE for TINUBU. I Mistakenly press share but immediately; I UNSHARE, LOGOUT ON NL, OFF MY PHONE AND ON IT BACK TO ENSURE THAT THE SHARE DIDN'T TAKE EFFECT
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by DaRuud(m): 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2023
[/color]
Chijeep:
the most hardest thing I've done ever since Tinubu put himself 4 aso rock was the day I saw LIKE for OBI and SHARE for TINUBU. I Mistakenly press share but immediately; I UNSHARE, LOGOUT ON NL, OFF MY PHONE AND ON IT BACK TO ENSURE THAT THE SHARE DIDN'T TAKE EFFECT
grin grin grin

I see you there [color=#990000]

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by DaRuud(m): 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2023
[s][/color]
Chijeep:
grin grin grin

I see you there [color=#990000]
[color=#550000][/color]

I am watching you [/s]

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by fineboynl(m): 3:30pm On Aug 12, 2023
Most of you don’t know how economy works.

What you described there is epitome of recession.

If people are unable to spend money. It means the economy will stand steal and a inevitable collapse.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Whoknow: 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2023
Eat twice or once in a day
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Epicji: 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2023
Avoid girls that bills
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Kemadealadire(f): 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2023
My oga will say make more money as things to spend on will always come.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by samcolee(m): 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2023
DanielsParker:
Wish two people can share dstv sub , that’s the only thing that keeps me at home. I know subscribing to Netflix and using data to watch isn’t any cheaper .

I have reduced the amount of meat I cook with,
I have reduced my movements with car to avoid buying fuel always.
I have been saying no to unnecessary billing.
My data still remains 5k for 40GB airtel.
Also curtailed unnecessary outing for beer and meat and unnecessary dates with ladies. If you no Dey come house , or take a walk with me in the park, forget it.

Times are hard no doubts.
There are some free to air channels you could watch without paying
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by samcolee(m): 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
Georgejeez:
Also as a Man , stop dating more than one or two ladies ..

Stop writing any fine girl you see on Facebook, IG or Dating App and inviting them to come over .

Stop investing your funds inside "bear bear bank"
Resist Womanising and watch your savings grow .

Life savings Bro
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by DanielsParker(m): 4:00pm On Aug 12, 2023
samcolee:

There are some free to air channels you could watch without paying

On dstv? There are none, except NTA
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by samcolee(m): 4:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
DanielsParker:

On dstv? There are none, except NTA

No, you've multi TV channels, some MBC channels channels TV and some other goodies that show EPL not often tho
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Afodot0022(m): 4:44pm On Aug 12, 2023
Stop paying unnecessary subscription like gotv and dstv. I stop using their service and now i only watch free to air terrestrial station in lagos and have not regret it. The likes of tvc, ontv and wazobia max will give u the entertainment you crave for. Gotv and dstv na waste of funds

2 Likes

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by 9182736455O1999(m): 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
AllBlack:

Bros. Only if you know what people are going through.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by 9182736455O1999(m): 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
AllBlack:

Bros. Only if you know what people are going through.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 12, 2023
Supporters and voters of Tinubu, how market? Don't cry.

1 Like

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 12, 2023
elevy:
7. Don't date a broke girl.
the advice is spot-on👍🏾 A broke girl no any girl that adds no value to a man's life is a huge liability.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
jojothaiv:
For me,

1. Trek a lot.
2. Avoid anything that have to do with flexing, alcohol or carbonated drinks is a no no now.
3. The three square meal/balanced diet is a myth now, 1-0-1, 0-1-0, 0-0-1 and 1-0-0. Groceries is now the mainstay, once in a while we dey bust am with protein.
4. Not in a committed relationship for now, LDR cut it for me, I don't want anybody using love as bait to extract money wey no dey from my hand.
5. Freebasics, night plans and *121# is handy, big shout to MTN for that life saving data plans.
6. Once I help my neighbor carry or play with their children, a sumptuous dinner is guaranteed.

At the end, man will be okay.
True. The advice is easy to follow. The *121*2# that is sometimes, 1.5GB @ ₦300 makes sense. That has always been my data plan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by bigiyaro(m): 8:14pm On Aug 12, 2023
A post by a typical Nigerian, they will never demand for accountability from their leaders, they die of thirst in the middle of the river, they prefer an incompetent imp to lead them as far as the imp is of the same tribe or religion. No be only cost una go cut, una go soon cut una stuupid heads join.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2023
Stay away from Night Clubs except the place is your direct or indirect source of income.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 12, 2023
bigiyaro:
A post by a typical Nigerian, they will never demand for accountability from their leaders, they die of thirst in the middle of the river, they prefer an incompetent imp to lead them as far as the imp is of the same tribe or religion. No be only cost una go cut, una go soon cut una stuupid heads join.
Myopia and sentiments is the bane of this country.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by BALLOSKI: 8:28pm On Aug 12, 2023
nurey:
Since I was wise after coming into this world all I hear is Nigeria go better. 55years after, nothing has changed, it even got worse.

Buhari supervised the destruction of the economy now Tinubu would put a nail to the coffin. As dog no dey eat dog, Tinubu won't make Buhari and his gang of thieves vomit our yam after all nah Buhari conjure am for there.
dem say make I contact you.
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by Ate247(m): 8:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
DanielsParker:
Wish two people can share dstv sub , that’s the only thing that keeps me at home. I know subscribing to Netflix and using data to watch isn’t any cheaper .

Also curtailed unnecessary outing for beer and meat and unnecessary dates with ladies. If you no Dey come house , or take a walk with me in the park, forget it.

Please can you tell me the Code for the 5k for 40GB
Re: Six Effective Ways You Can Cut Cost In These Hard Times by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
DanielsParker:

please how did you subscribe to this Airtel 40GB for 5k? Please kindly reply

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Pregnant Ladies Act Funny? / Man Loses Marriage For Accusing Wife Of Making Love With Son / Being Married To A Nigerian Is Hard Sometimes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.