Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,357 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience (17019 Views)

Please, Advise Me On This Banking Job I Got / Advise Me On This Job Offer, I Am Confused And Sad / N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Fullfledged(m): 11:39am On Aug 19, 2023
Sucre6:
-Mind ya business,
-Don't engage in office gossip
-Be puntual and Finnish any task assigned to u

-Don't ever complain unnecessarily
-Bring your food to work, so u won't be seen going to the canteen every now and then leaving your work station.
-Respect everyone u see there no matter their age, they are there before you and they know better

- Try to be friendly but know your boundaries.

- No unnecessary compliment to the other gender, they might see it as u crossing boundaries most people though.

-Always be in your best behaviour even when u are all alone in the office, a cctv might be monitoring and watching you.

-Lastly, no office romance, avoid it with all your might

OP this is your best advice. Try and adhere to all that have been stated here.
I want to add that you always try and compliment your colleagues at their back. Make it a habit to always focus on the positive sides of people.
Lastly you must always be in good terms with your line manager, that is, the person you report to. Take it as a kind of commandment at your office. This is the person that appraises you and will go a long way to determining your growth in your office.
I have been there.
Congratulations.

8 Likes

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Chikebranny123(m): 11:41am On Aug 19, 2023
For every fund that comes into your possession...
Verify before accepting...
No matter how tired or worthy the person is count the money...
Verify the signature...

Reputation is an illusion...

Protect yourself...

2 Likes

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by soik(m): 11:45am On Aug 19, 2023
Eye service
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by OlujobaSamuel: 11:47am On Aug 19, 2023
DiamondPant:

I've never worked in a financial institution but generally, don't do shady deals and avoid office romance.
Work harder than your employer expects and as much as possible, do not complain.
If you complete a task assigned to you and still have time, don't play games or chit-chat in the name of free time, ask your boss if there is something else they'll want you to do. There'll always be something to be done.
From time to time, offer to take up tasks that are above your pay grade if you have the time.
Good luck.
Hmmmm, don't try this except the organization is a start-up, you will trap yourself.
Remember that it's not the company owner that is monitoring your activity, it's an employee like you with just a superior power, you might get trapped in office politics.
It's better you get your task done, but don't front for more work. Such action portray others as lazy, or you are being overpaid (over valued)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Aklee4994(m): 11:53am On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

I got my dream job in a financial institution, I will be resuming on Monday.

From your experience, kindly share the things I must and must not do in a professional setting.

NB: This is my first professional job hence the reason for the question.
Do your work go home and get paid...pls don’t make friend at work place e get y and am talking from experience.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by lolaxavier(m): 11:53am On Aug 19, 2023
1. Be polite and respectful. These don't mean you will be bowing and submitting to everything. You should learn to discern between office policies and colleagues' personal agenda. Study your office policies carefully.

2. Avoid corridor talks, also known as office gossips. One who gossips to you about someone else is also capable of gossiping about you to another.

3. Always ensure all your dealing and transactions are documented. If your manager verbally says you should carry out an action, politely tell him or her to drop you an email so that you can understand all points and act on it. If the person is difficult to approach, use reverse psychology. Outline what you've been asked to do in an email in bullet points and share with him to confirm if you've not missed out anything. For example:

Following our earlier discussion, I thought to cross check what I captured with you to be sure I did not miss out anything. Please could you confirm if x,y and z are correct, so that I can act quickly.

E get why...so that when any issue arises, you can reference such mail and save yourself. People will save themselves first and push you under the bus.

4. Get a notepad. Always listen, pay adequate attention to details and take notes in meetings either formal or informal.

5. When in meetings, only speak when you have meaningful contributions. Don't just talk so that you can be noticed. At the same time, don't always be quiet in meetings or else you will be perceived to be clueless.

6. Take feedbacks constructively. If positive, thank the person. If negative, thank the person and ask what you can do to remedy the situation and inprove. If someone gives you a feedback in a rude manner, find time to speak with him or her one on one and let your thoughts be known to the person in a polite manner.

7. Be friendly to everyone. This doesn't mean you will be friends with everyone and vice versa. Accord respect to both senior and junior colleagues. You will be liked when you are always there to show support and share Knowledge with others.

8. Learn soft skills - effective communication, listening, attention to details, eye contact etc.

9. Always see all opportunities you engage with colleagues as learning platforms. Be open to learning and improving yourself even out of your current job descriptions .

I hope you find the above points useful.
Adhere to them and you will find work enjoyable. These are all coming from my experiences working in 3 different countries.

Enjoy your work.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by ugodson(m): 11:54am On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

From your experience, kindly share the things I must and must not do in a professional setting.

I WILL WRITE IT IN CAPITAL LETTERS, DONT SHARE YOUR PASSWORD OR NUMBERS EVEN TO YOUR BOSS NOT TO TALK ABOUT YOUR COLLEAGUES, WELL YOU CAN HAVE FUN/ Bleep ANY BODY BUT DONT TRUST ANYONE
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Rockstar07: 11:54am On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by complexstuffs(m): 11:58am On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

1) Avoid office romance
2) Talk less and listen more
3) Be courteous
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Miyachi: 12:01pm On Aug 19, 2023
siofragspot:
Congratulations!

AVOID fvcking a female colleague unprofessionally, so you won't get sh!t rubbed all over your face someday at work place.

Do it professionally.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by SavageResponse(m): 12:03pm On Aug 19, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Is there a way you can fvck a female colleague "professionally"?

grin
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Eriokanmi: 12:06pm On Aug 19, 2023
BabaOfLagos:

Listen to this man,

Integrity can never be overrated.

80% of finance workers lack integrity.

They might portray a positive public image to hoodwink clients and superiors but their integrity is reprehensible.

Under no circumstances should you exchange your reputation and values for monetary benefits.

A person with zero integrity has a detestable character.

2. Avoid bedding a colleague or boss, If you do sooner or later, the mess would hit the fan and you know what comes next.

3. Work daily to improve and expand your knowledge in the finance niche.

4. Join a tribe of men with high values, I would recommend you to search and join IAJ ONLINE on Telegram.

Join the tribe of men there.

Get better Daily.
All your points are embedded in moral principles moral principles are integral part of integrity

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by MrAbufayed: 12:07pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

No,go and get your own experience and learn!!!
I'm joking ooo.... avoid office sex and relationships, don't be too attached to the job,be polite punctual remember respect is reciprocal
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by DiamondPant(f): 12:10pm On Aug 19, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Hmmmm, don't try this except the organization is a start-up, you will trap yourself.
Remember that it's not the company owner that is monitoring your activity, it's an employee like you with just a superior power, you might get trapped in office politics.
It's better you get your task done, but don't front for more work. Such action portray others as lazy, or you are being overpaid (over valued)
The superior power is the key phrase.
And hey!
You can never run away from office politics.
The earlier you learn how to play it, the better for your career.
I avoided it for a good part of the earlier years of my career until I learned the hard way.
Now I know better.
The rules are simple.
Warm yourself into the heart(s) of your superior(s) be it the owner or another employee and you'll climb the ladder.
Do you know that someone can move 3 steps on the career ladder at a go?
I did!
And that was because I was already familiar with what they do at that stage.
When a vacancy appeared there and the board of governors asked my superiors for recommendations, it was me.
I'm sure you can already figure out why I got recommended.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by glingev(m): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2023
Begin with the end on mind.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by lavylilly: 12:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
[quote author=Kelvindate post=125210936][/quote] You will never enjoy it as it will always bring problem with you and your clients/customers and complaint will be too much from customers. I am talking from experience.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by FuckTheMod: 12:31pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

There's no permanent dream job. In few months, the euphoria will fade and you'll start aspiring for another "dream" job or position...

In whatever you do, DO IT WITH HONESTY AND INTEGRITY.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Originalsly: 12:32pm On Aug 19, 2023
Know your superiors ... only they can give you instructions and tasks ... focus on the tasks given and don't be sidetracked. There may be cliques in the company ... take no sides ... be neutral. If have to face the public ... always be calm and courteous.... people will show up to test you. Most important ... be honest in all your dealings regardless of what others are doing.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by ednut1(m): 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2023
What is the job title
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by opribo(m): 12:50pm On Aug 19, 2023
Learn how to save and be prudent the job is not secure you will see be people being shoved out of the job take that as lesson while you wait for your time. When that time comes that's when you understand the reason for prudence. Job in financial institute now is a waste of time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by golbe1972: 12:53pm On Aug 19, 2023
lavylilly:
Never work for a man who is CHRONIC womanizer, it always ends in regrets.

Don’t be fooled by what they portray outside (social media).

Set clear boundaries in the workplace.

Avoid or run FAR from organization that uses crack version of softwares.

Learn to short change your employers (VERY necessary) because the "take home" will NEVER take you home.

Don't stay in company accommodation, they turn you to their slaves.

Leave organization that doesn't give you chance of improvements

If by any chance your salary is delayed even for a day or not paid as agreed (without communicating to you why it's been delayed) on the offer letter, activate exit plan ASAP.

Lack/inadequate medical services for staff - If the medical services (HMO) does not cover you ONLY or you & your family, don't run, disappear!!

No Ieave allowance (you work 24/7 & 365 days) Just resign ASAP

Learn never to short-changed your employer because you knew the salary before accepting the job, otherwise forget it and allow those who will be contented take the job.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Bluntemperor: 12:56pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

Please,come out clean!
Which Financial Institution- is it bank or Insurance or Pension fund Coy? More Clarification, please!
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Myer(m): 12:59pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

Be enthusiatic but learn to control it. Take your first few months to ask questions. On-the-job learning from the best in your office.
Be excellent and honor everyone including your colleagues and customers.
Don't try to outdo everyone so that you'll be seen as better than them. At the same time give your best. It's a thin-line that wisdom will guide you.
Know your stakeholders. (The most powerful person in your office might not be your Manager but one of your colleagues).
Be loyal to the company and your boss with customers satisfaction as your goal.
Don't make the wrong enemies. And don't try to be friends with everyone.
It's a job, you're not there to make friends but be friendly. If you're lucky you will make few friends.

Above all, as a believer (if you are), do every thing as if you're working for God and not man. Knowing that it is God who provided the job for you. Don't let the job take the place of God. Put God first.
Congrats and all the best.

Col.3.22 -25
Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God.
And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,
knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality.

2 Likes

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Authur729(m): 1:36pm On Aug 19, 2023
Congratulations, avoid I know it all
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by OlujobaSamuel: 1:40pm On Aug 19, 2023
DiamondPant:

The superior power is the key phrase.
And hey!
You can never run away from office politics.
The earlier you learn how to play it, the better for your career.
I avoided it for a good part of the earlier years of my career until I learned the hard way.
Now I know better.
The rules are simple.
Warm yourself into the heart(s) of your superior(s) be it the owner or another employee and you'll climb the ladder.
Do you know that someone can move 3 steps on the career ladder at a go?
I did!
And that was because I was already familiar with what they do at that stage.
When a vacancy appeared there and the board of governors asked my superiors for recommendations, it was me.
I'm sure you can already figure out why I got recommended.
There is a thin line between being exceptional and fronting for more task.
I concur that you can't avoid office politics, that's why I used the word getting trapped in it.
If you have not played well, your exceptional traits will be seen as a threat rather than skill

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Blitzking: 1:56pm On Aug 19, 2023
Be respectful cos you don't know who is who...let ppl also know where you stand..be security conscious too..avoid office romance and customers romance.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by samdaisi: 2:21pm On Aug 19, 2023
Pride kills dream, please beware of it
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by biz2get(m): 2:25pm On Aug 19, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Stay focus

Don't let any figure eight manipulate you

There are alot of fine figure eight as staff in financial institutions especially those zenith bank female staff

If you are a real niggar after the close of work around 4pm or 5pm depending on the workload that day
Head to a near bar and get some beer in your system to clear your head
Ensure you carry football sure odd every weekend to augment your salary

Never seen a bad advise nicely and well put together.. Weldon senior cheesy
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by uuzba(m): 2:58pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

If the job is really your dream job, then you go there and ask them how to comport yourself.
I've not done your job before. So what do you want from me?
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by uuzba(m): 2:58pm On Aug 19, 2023
Blitzking:
Be respectful cos you don't know who is who...let ppl also know where you stand..be security conscious too..avoid office romance and customers romance.
No O.
It's his dream job. Let him go there and be shouting at everybody.
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by BirtherOfKings(f): 3:22pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

Improve yaself
Build relationships with your bosses
Be patient and not running to the next job cos of money-. Do not japa
Re: Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience by Juliearth(f): 3:35pm On Aug 19, 2023
AdeoyeAdefemi:
Good Morning All

Congrats!
Mind your business;
Do every task to the best of your ability;
Don't entertain gossips. Most gossips relate your feedback to the sources concerned;
Don't join a caucus and even if you must, let it be that which would be beneficial to you;
Be humble and relate well with everyone, but do not be overly friendly;
That snake who would come to you pretending to be a friend bro/sis is not a friend, but a foe. 0lay along, but do not fall for their antics.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? / Job Interveiw From Zis / Ten Mistakes You Must Avoid In Your CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.