Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,193 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? (18893 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by tunwumi: 8:28am On Aug 26, 2023
Nipe
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by SWATMan: 8:28am On Aug 26, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Hmmm... This is weird, I think you should discuss with her, she should open up, perhaps she's hiding something.

Oko orun stuff
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by tofolo(m): 8:28am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.
death has parted Dem na, so life goes on.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by CILAX: 8:28am On Aug 26, 2023
You have been noticing some things you don't want to talk about? Oga give full details or rest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by TotoGame(m): 8:29am On Aug 26, 2023
Nazgul:

Under which culture in Nigeria?

Igbo Culture! A widow that wishes to remarry must return her bride price to her husband's family

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Whalis: 8:30am On Aug 26, 2023
samwash:
If the woman wants to remarry, she has to return the bride price, and inform the late husband's family of her decision.
The same with my tradition.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Olu1000: 8:30am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

Many things have been going through my mind concerning her.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Because I’m considering cutting ties with her and go for deliverance.

Dating her should not be an issue but the young woman should inform her late husband’s family before remarrying.There is no return of bride price for a marriage that ended with the death of a husband.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by descartes400: 8:31am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:
In Igbo culture, the widow and her family do not return any bride price upon the death of the husband as the marriage ended with the death of the husband, not divorce.

That's why dem talk am say " till death do them apart"
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Popesuccess(m): 8:31am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

In my tribe, she will return the bride price before having anything with any man.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Chukkychukky(m): 8:32am On Aug 26, 2023
This one na medicine after death. U chop food finish u come dey ask wetin be the food name

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by AntiChristian: 8:32am On Aug 26, 2023
You are a fornicator!

Why sleep with her without a fresh marriage?

fineboynl:

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by oluwaseyi0: 8:32am On Aug 26, 2023
samwash:
If the woman wants to remarry, she has to return the bride price, and inform the late husband's family of her decision.

Death ends the marriage automatically
She is automatically legally and traditionally divorced by death

She can inform her late husband family of her new marriage out of respect not out of necessity

As for bride price it has served it's purpose so you can't eat your cake and have it ...no returning

3 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by jackmrandy: 8:36am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

Tell us the tribe. What you noticed, only then we can know how to channel the advice. Every culture with their own

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Kobicove(m): 8:38am On Aug 26, 2023
Death automatically terminates all marriage contracts

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Nazgul: 8:38am On Aug 26, 2023
TotoGame:
Igbo Culture! A widow that wishes to remarry must return her bride price to her husband's family
That's not Igbo culture. And you're clearly not of the Igbo extraction. If you were and you frequent your village, you would have come across several Igbo widows who remarried without returning any bride price.

And if you must know, the only person that has the right to demand for a refund of bride price is the person who paid for it which is the man. So if the man is dead, who has the right to demand for it?

If you tell me divorce, I wouldn't argue cos the man is alive to demand for the money he paid for. But death, no way. The woman is free to remarry.

4 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by samwash(m): 8:39am On Aug 26, 2023
Whalis:

The same with my tradition.

That's the normal practice in many Culture.
I don't want to reply that fellow asking which tribe?.
It's either he doesn't know his tradition so well or they are not rooted in Africa culture.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by sajiwere(m): 8:40am On Aug 26, 2023
thorpido:
You don't seem to understand the English,'till death do us part'.smh
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by AzizG550(m): 8:40am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:
In Igbo culture, the widow and her family do not return any bride price upon the death of the husband as the marriage ended with the death of the husband, not divorce.

That’s not true. If a man dies, his wife is still his wife. Marriage does not end because of death of a spouse. Even if the man is dead, the woman is still legally married to the man and continues to bear the man’s surname. If she wants to remarry, then her family will have to return the dowry to the man’s family.

Marriage does not end because of the death of a spouse. The lady you are sleeping with is still somebody’s wife and somebody’s daughter in law.
If you want to marry her, then make enquiries on how the dowry can be returned and how the marriage can be ended traditionally and legally.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by lolu2019: 8:40am On Aug 26, 2023
Favorisieren:
Lol

Very strange cultures and ways of thought in Nigeria. Las las...na poverty dey make people think this way.

Once a man/woman dies, that is the end. Which one is returning dowry or bride price or whatever again?

The dead is dead and he is gone.

Man wan go for deliverance. Lol. Superstition in Africa is the reason we are backward. The deliverance we need is from poverty. Period.

Poor people have a backward way of thinking.

OP should get a digital skill and he will be delivered from poverty. Only failures associate their failed businesses to spiritual issues, culture and tradition that are non existence.

That thing nor dey make man move forward.too much superstitions.normally,if u dey do the right thing.God go bless u.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by mariahAngel(f): 8:40am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

How long has her late husband been dead before you slept with her?
Does she have children (by her late husband)?

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Daniel058(m): 8:40am On Aug 26, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Hmmm... This is weird, I think you should discuss with her, she should open up, perhaps she's hiding something.
@ fineboynl, also make sure yo find out what killed her husband.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by stevups(m): 8:40am On Aug 26, 2023
The period of mourning should elapse before you climb her, if not, gbadogbado ma gbowo lowoe

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by bugatti02(m): 8:41am On Aug 26, 2023
It’s a serious question and matter. You’re to ask her more questions. And I’ll advice you to withdraw from her they’re lots of free ladies out there…. Some battle doesn’t worth it at all.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by sajiwere(m): 8:41am On Aug 26, 2023
After saying many reasonable things and later scattered it with terrible comments
thorpido:

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Angelfrost(m): 8:41am On Aug 26, 2023
Nope... Death has taken care of that.

The return of bride price signifies divorce.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Opanka44(m): 8:43am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

Does she have children with her late Husband?
How long has the late Husband died?
What are the strange things you're experiencing that u don't want to tell us about? If u don't open up, how do the Elders here help you?
You messed up big time. How do you even feel dating someone you know her ex-Boyfriend let alone dating someone who lost her husband? Don't u think there are still some Spiritual ties between the living woman and the dead husband? Sex has some Spiritual inclination if u don't know.
Until she returns the Bride Price to her late husband's family, she's still answerable to her late Husband even in spirit cos that's a Serious connection btw them.
Better go for cleansing and deliverance Bro, else na bad luck go dey follow u upandan.
You can still go ahead to marry her if u so desire. But the rites must be carried out.
God be with you.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by oluxy(m): 8:43am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

No. Death has already paid it and separated them from marriage convenant.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by TotoGame(m): 8:43am On Aug 26, 2023
Nazgul:

That's not Igbo culture. And you're clearly not of the Igbo extracted. If you were and you frequent your village, you would have come across several Igbo widows who remarried without returning any bride price.

And if you must know, the only person that has the right to demand for a refund of bride price is the person who paid for it which is the man. So if the man is dead, who has the right to demand fof it?

If you tell me divorce, I wouldn't argue cos the man is alive to demand for the money he paid for. But death, no way. The woman is free to remarry.

I am from Anambra state oga, my Town Does that! I don't know for other parts of igbo land

4 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Obuugama: 8:43am On Aug 26, 2023
"If you are not careful, what killed the husband of the woman will kill you".
Above is an adage from my elders. Men should be very very careful while going intimate with widows because some of their husbands were killed by strange diseases.
Most times, it is very risky to climb them. Do extra medical examinations on widows to confirm that they are not infected. Afterwards, you can treat them as the case may be and maybe marry them. I don't support flirting with widows.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by grandstar(m): 8:44am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.

Death as ended the marriage so she can go on with her life
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by CaptainFM1: 8:44am On Aug 26, 2023
I guess poor and demented family would demand that

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by FashionCookie(f): 8:45am On Aug 26, 2023
thorpido:
Obviously...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

People Build Better Houses In The Village: Why? / Eid Mubarak: Emir Of Ilorin At Prayer Ground. Photos / Eze Chukwuemeka Eri, Nnia Nwodo Arrive USA For World Igbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.