Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? (18734 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by etrange: 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2023
You should cut ties with yourself, oga. You guys will not keep prick one place. The moment something goes wrong, you'll start looking for another party to blame.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by b4ball: 2:50pm On Aug 26, 2023
gare2510:
In some cultures if the widow as much as cook for the children she had with the late husband with money from the new man without returning dowry and prayer, the children will fall sick and might lead to their death if not discovered and addressed quickly. When it comes to married women and widows, tread with uttermost caution.

Exactly this happened in my family. My late uncle’s wife nearly lost her first son as a result of this. Although she claimed ignorance, she was later released and she is happily married to her new man now.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by cococandy(f): 3:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
Because she’s not a person right?
thebar:

Not true

If a man dies, the family have Rright to give the lady to a younger guy in the family

They believe if the lady take her children o another man's house in the name of marriage, the children won't get the proper care they deserve. So they'll give the lady to another guy in the family..
]

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by stevups(m): 3:04pm On Aug 26, 2023
cococandy:
how long is the period of mourning

It differs from culture to culture
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by IronSponge23(m): 3:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.

You no wise 🤣
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Charly68: 3:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:
In Igbo culture, the widow and her family do not return any bride price upon the death of the husband as the marriage ended with the death of the husband, not divorce.
This is biblical ..
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Farfalla(f): 3:24pm On Aug 26, 2023
thebar:

Not true

If a man dies, the family have Rright to give the lady to a younger guy in the family

They believe if the lady take her children o another man's house in the name of marriage, the children won't get the proper care they deserve. So they'll give the lady to another guy in the family..

And bible also talk about this in Deuteronomy 25:5 (KJV) If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her[b]

Stop it. Just stop it...!!

Everytime people want to justify nonsense they must quote the Bible or the Qur'an. Just stop that nonsense.

A man's family has no right over a widow and that's that. Nonsense...!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by thatigboman: 3:28pm On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.
death has done her part with her late husband naa
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by obotematics: 3:29pm On Aug 26, 2023
If you like no go return the money
Body go tell you

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by cococandy(f): 3:33pm On Aug 26, 2023
stevups:

It differs from culture to culture

Gimme a range . I’m checking something
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Expanse2020(m): 4:29pm On Aug 26, 2023
In Islam also in Yoruba culture when the husband is dead.. the woman will be in the house for like 3 to 4months just to make sure she is not pregnant and after the confirmation that is not pregnant she can decide to remarry if she is still young.. but she will be notify her late husband family..
For you marrying a widow is not bad Idea and God can still use her make ways in many ways. Trust me as long as you have good intention..
Note: if you are seeing strange thing maybe you asked her if her late husband is not priest, king,or spiritual tittle person because they used to have something in the body oio

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by riczy(m): 4:46pm On Aug 26, 2023
Death ends all marital ties, as a Bini man, ask d wife wat her late hubby's culture is like, but unfortunately all these ladies will never tell u d truth, she may even tell u ur ordeal has nothing to do with her! Start praying with Act 16. Num 23, psalm 70,31&51. Let her go.May God Almighty set u free (jn 8:36)

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by zakkxx: 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2023
You are a very stupid man; marry her if u love her. You cannot be fornicating, is your spiritual sense death? This is how foolish men bring bad luck to them selves.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mypeople2(m): 5:00pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

Many things have been going through my mind concerning her.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Because I’m considering cutting ties with her and go for deliverance.
Ask about her culture and tradition. Also ask her what led to her husband's death
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by oyebanji(m): 5:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
Death ends the agreement...#
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by rezzy: 5:38pm On Aug 26, 2023
Nazgul:

Under which culture in Nigeria?

Isoko in Delta state returns bride price if the widow wants to remarry or she can marry within the family.

I confirm that when my former landlord's son died and the wife people returned the bride price.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Deebami: 6:22pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

You don't need to return any bride price to the late husband's family. It would have been more honorable you marry her before sleeping with her. Whatever you are experiencing may not be connected with her being a widow, but some other things. If you know you don't want to marry her, please don't play with her emotion, losing a spouse is enough pain!!

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by asanausana91: 7:27pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

how long the husband died? In their marriage has they undergo blood convenant.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by asanausana91: 7:30pm On Aug 26, 2023
There are some culture that will expect her to marry another man from the family of the ex husband.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Blackmercyvelly: 8:38pm On Aug 26, 2023
That one can only happen in ijebu land and entire igboland , 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by frozen70(f): 8:50pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

I think the most important thing is for her to mourn her late husband and after that she is free

It could be for 6months or 1yr as the case maybe

Unless there are other issues which you don't know about

Then you need to find out from her family

As you may not be willing to find out that from her late husband family

As for the bride price, the person who paid for it is late so that one is gone with him
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 26, 2023
Farfalla:

grin grin

Your issue is that a woman is moving on with her life.
And your own issue is that you only craftily picked out the part of her moving on, to make a statement, to whip up sentiments from onlookers. grin grin
You're a woman , after all. It's expected.

I said what I said. You felt triggered and hence, felt you needed to clap back at my comment.
Or are you the woman in the OP's narration?
Lol.
Shift
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
Don't mind these women.
They never ever get tired of sexx and attachments.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by EndRape2(f): 10:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
It is only death that can seperate a man from a woman. Let no culture deceive you, as along as the hus and is dead you should not be afriad of anything .

She does not need to return.any bride price

Your mindset is what is affecting you.

quote author=fineboynl post=125319930]I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

[/quote]
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Knetpro(m): 10:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
Han han!
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Chizim1: 2:18am On Aug 27, 2023
She will go back to her husband family to tell them that she wants to move on with her life then she will buy goat and cook food for her husband family after eating they will pray for her to be free from the marital bound

Notting more
Ika land, if you know, you know
Delta states
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Chizim1: 2:36am On Aug 27, 2023
Tell her to go back to her husband family to asked if there's any ritual rite she have to perform before getting into any relationship

in my place is very important especially if she have children with her late husband

Delta states

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by sharone21(f): 7:37am On Aug 27, 2023
Chizim1:
Tell her to go back to her husband family to asked if there's any ritual rite she have to perform before getting into any relationship

in my place is very important especially if she have children with her late husband

Delta states

Death terminates all the ties in Ika land unless individual, illiterate families. Besides, being a Christian cancels all that.

Returning of bride price is more for divorce cases.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mazeepac(m): 9:33am On Aug 27, 2023
The same power that prevailed over the poor lady's husband is the one that has started tormenting you. If you have spiritual strength you can help her seek for deliverance. Most of the time the ladies are inocent.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Bankowner: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2023
The marriage vow is "till death do us part". The moment one partner is gone, the marriage is legally over, and the living partner has every right to move on without recourse to his or her in-laws except where tradition stipulates something else which may be for the partner (especially the woman) to marry someone else in the family.
fineboynl:

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by noblebright1: 2:09pm On Aug 27, 2023
Your mind is playing games with you n that game will only end when your heart is cleared. You're the one who have problem not the lady itself so do what you mind tells you n be free. Tell death do us part is what it is
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by scantee(m): 5:57pm On Aug 27, 2023
bestman09:
Every tribe with their traditions. In Anambra state where I came from, at the death of a husband, the wife is still married to the family. If the woman wants to leave or remarry, the bride price must be returned. If the woman bears a child with another man without returning the bride price, the child legally belongs to the dead husband.
BTW, official bride price in my area, nnewi south is N5000, and the bride's family may take N200-N2000 and return the rest to the groom because we're not selling the woman.

In my place in Enugu this is exactly the same.

If the pride price isn't returned, any kid the lady bears for the new husband automatically belongs to the late husband's family.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Covers Thisday Style Magazine / Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. / Are You Addicted To 'nzu' White Clay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.