Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? (18808 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by eldoradoxx: 9:12am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:

If she packs out of the home to another rented apartment or the one she built, what happens?
Nothing, but she cannot bring another man to her matrimonial home especially where she has kids for the late husband

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by IamAsiri: 9:12am On Aug 26, 2023
mmadu5:
in my place ondo state you will be shot and killed by the mans family before you can follow another man.

Where in Ondo state is this? shocked
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by mosaicafrique: 9:13am On Aug 26, 2023
So after sleeping with her it's now you want to cut ties, after enjoying your self it's now that things are running through your mind. Just tell us you didn't see her the way you expect and you want to dump her and move to the next woman. Fear God, From what I know once a man dies, the ties is broken after she has performed the mourning rites to her late husband, except she didn't do the needful and who knows if she has a hand in the man's death. Just discuss with her to know if she did all that was required after the demise of her husband.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 9:14am On Aug 26, 2023
eldoradoxx:
Nothing, but she cannot bring another man to her matrimonial home especially where she has kids for the late husband

Matrimonial home, I guess you mean the house the man built because if she is moves into another rented house or a house she built, there is nothing matrimonial about it anymore.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by id4sho(m): 9:15am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

Many things have been going through my mind concerning her.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Because I’m considering cutting ties with her and go for deliverance.

What killed the husband?? B4 it kills you too!!!!!

Think deep
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by fineboynl(m): 9:17am On Aug 26, 2023
mariahAngel:

How long has her late husband been dead before you slept with her?
Does she have children (by her late husband)?
she has children and she keep tie with the family as they still assist her.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Harrynight(m): 9:17am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.

Did you even understand what you typed

Till DEATH do us part not FOREVER.

after death, nothing bind you with the person irrespective

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by yesloaded: 9:18am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.

Widow: woman wey her husband don die

Till death do us part: D death of her husband already separated them
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Integrafamoo: 9:19am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Return to who?
The dead?
The husband paid bride price, not family members.
My answer is NO
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by mmadu5(m): 9:20am On Aug 26, 2023
IamAsiri:

Where in Ondo state is this? shocked

Ikare Akoko to be precise
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Zinpat: 9:26am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

She should let her late husband's family know about her intention and also the bride price should be returned

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by alizma: 9:26am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
You typed the commitment promised by both party yet you do not understand what you typed, death of either party automatically set the other person free from the commitment.
Come to think of it, if you are in her shoes, will you keep out of sex forever? Witchcraft is not by flying at night alone, it also involved forcing others to do what you can't do half of

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Exceed15: 9:31am On Aug 26, 2023
Death ends it all. Start afresh.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by godofuck231: 9:38am On Aug 26, 2023
She refused some burial rites to detach the husbands spirit form her , a soul tie is present and its dangerous, she should go back to his family and redo or complete those rites or the malevolent will strike
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Badgers14: 9:42am On Aug 26, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Hmmm... This is weird, I think you should discuss with her, she should open up, perhaps she's hiding something.

@Op, listen to this post here.

I will also add, her family should return her bride price if she wants to move on with her life.

Although I don't know if I agree with this next line buy returning the bride price, the late husband's family could collect everything that their brother bought for her.. if she is living in the late brothers house, they could kick her out , some might even go to the extent of collecting the kids from her (if they have a kid together).

But yet still, the first thing first. Have a candid conversation with her and you both can figure a way forward.

Cheers!!

@fineboynl
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by gare2510(m): 9:43am On Aug 26, 2023
In some cultures if the widow as much as cook for the children she had with the late husband with money from the new man without returning dowry and prayer, the children will fall sick and might lead to their death if not discovered and addressed quickly. When it comes to married women and widows, tread with uttermost caution.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by centpado(m): 9:43am On Aug 26, 2023
author=TotoGame post=125366508]

Igbo Culture! A widow that wishes to remarry must return her bride price to her husband's family [/quote]

Brideprice must be returned

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Badgers14: 9:46am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:
In Igbo culture, the widow and her family do not return any bride price upon the death of the husband as the marriage ended with the death of the husband, not divorce.

That's incorrect.

Respectfully speaking, may be in your hometown that's how it is done.

But I have seen a scenario in igbo land were after the mourning period they ask the widow if she wants to stay with the husband family or move on and go back to her parents house.

Then if she chose to move on and move back to her parents house. Bride price is returned (at a later date).

Generally, one cannot pay a bride price twice on top of one lady. The old bride price have to be returned before they can pay the new bride price.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:47am On Aug 26, 2023
Whalis:

The same with my tradition.
wait. For example, we know that Igbo bride price could be high running into millions. Are you saying if she is Igbo she should return every dime, when she is probably not in a good place financially?
@ badgers14
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Leebeedo(m): 9:50am On Aug 26, 2023
In Urhobo tradition, the family of the woman will return the bride price to the late husband's family and then she can move on with her life.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by gare2510(m): 9:51am On Aug 26, 2023
Omoluabi16:
wait. For example, we know that Igbo bride price could be high running into millions. Are you saying if she is Igbo she should return every dime, when she is probably not in a good place financially?
@ badgers14

Aside all the items there is usually an amount specifically called bride price
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by cococandy(f): 9:52am On Aug 26, 2023
Death did them part. Nothing else matters
fineboynl:

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Blitzking: 9:52am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

When did her husband die
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 9:52am On Aug 26, 2023
Badgers14:

That's incorrect.

Respectfully speaking, may be in your hometown that's how it is done.

But I have seen a scenario in igbo land were after the mourning period they ask the widow if she wants to stay with the husband family or move on and go back to her parents house.

Then if she chose to move on and move back to her parents house. Bride price is returned (at a later date).

Generally, one cannot pay a bride price twice on top of one lady. The old bride price have to be returned before they can pay the new bride price.

Cheers!

It will be interesting to know the community or communities in igboland that practices such.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Badgers14: 9:54am On Aug 26, 2023
Omoluabi16:
@ badgers14

Igbo bride price is not that high.. what could be high there is other things requested in the list like 20 tubers of yam.. 10 carton of this and that ..

But the actual bride price is usually not that high. And typically what the girls family normally do is, if the bride price was say 20k, the father of the bride will take 2k and give the rest back to the inlaws and tell them , his daughter is not for sale.. let them take care of his daughter etc...

(At least thats what my father did and I have been at other places in igbo land where the same was done as well).

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Badgers14: 9:55am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:

It will be interesting to know the community or communities in igboland that practices such.

Where do I start grin

I have witnessed that in Imo and Anambra state, heard about it in Abia state as well.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:55am On Aug 26, 2023
gare2510:

Aside all the items there is usually an amount specifically called bride price
wow. Okay..
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 9:57am On Aug 26, 2023
Badgers14:

Where do I start grin

I have witnessed that in Imo and Anambra state, heard about it in Abia state as well.

Name the communities in Imo and Anambra that do that, so I can enquire further.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by tfelicityk(m): 9:57am On Aug 26, 2023
This is oddball.
It is better you discuss it with her. she may be ignorance of your own assumption and whatever you envisage.
However, she may open up to you if she is hiding anything from you the moment you tell her your own observations.
Good luck
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:57am On Aug 26, 2023
Badgers14:

Igbo bride price is not that high.. what could be high there is other things requested in the list like 20 tubers of yam.. 10 carton of this and that ..

But the actual bride price is usually not that high. And typically what the girls family normally do is, if the bride price was say 20k, the father of the bride will take 2k and give the rest back to the inlaws and tell them , his daughter is not for sale.. let them take care of his daughter etc...

(At least thats what my father did and I have been at other places in igbo land where the same was done as well).
okay. Thank you for your response.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Bullfallo(m): 9:59am On Aug 26, 2023
Death do them apart is a white man wedding.

Africa wedding is marriage to the family that's why bride price are paid.

The white people don't pay bride price.

As far as she is still using her late husband surname. She is still married to that family.

And each family with their culture and traditions.

The white people culture the marriage ends. But Africa culture is different.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why do Nigerian Women Bear Their Father's Name, After Marriage? / Architectural Wonders From Pre-colonial Africa - Pics / How To Know An African From Another African!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.