Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,423 members, 7,836,688 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? (18888 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by kkins25(m): 8:45am On Aug 26, 2023
Hope you're not looking for excuses to complete your hit and run game?

I haven't heard of such cultural practise before.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Akaegwu(m): 8:46am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.
You just fall my hand.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mayorwer: 8:46am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.
But death don do them part na.so what else than for her to move on with her life

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by MossLuv: 8:47am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

Many things have been going through my mind concerning her.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Because I’m considering cutting ties with her and go for deliverance.

Mention the tribe so that the people will you about their culture.
My own culture forbid widow from dating until they perform certain ritual and return bride price especially when she want to remarry
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by adioolayi(m): 8:47am On Aug 26, 2023
Will the widow be returned to her unmarried form after returning her bride price

Will her body be returned to original status prior to marriage if she returns the bride price

Radarada

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by IamAsiri: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:

And death has not done them part? Na wa o.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by nwakibe: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2023
It has nothing to do with return of bride price. In most cultures of the world, death of a spouse is the end of a marriage. Get to know what killed her husband. Some women has a very strong evil spirit hovering around them. If care is not taking, you may end up like the husband. Don't say I did not warn you.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Bahamas95(m): 8:50am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
Over sabi!

Even you sef nor understand am judging by your comment. grin

"Till death do us part" means you can't do any nonsense when your partner is alive, death is the only thing that can terminate the contract.... When oga die madam is free to fvck any shape, colour or size of gbola.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by mmadu5(m): 8:51am On Aug 26, 2023
in my place ondo state you will be shot and killed by the mans family before you can follow another man.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by RevenuesBoost(f): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2023
Stop feeding your fear

Nothing is happening, it's all in your head
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by uglodoh(f): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2023
TotoGame:

Igbo Culture! A widow that wishes to remarry must return her bride price to her husband's family
Why?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by billyG(m): 8:53am On Aug 26, 2023
U did not ask what kills her husband,U just saw a dark bushy hole & jump into head long not minding if a venomous snake is waiting for you.
In some cultures death did not entirely seperate her from deceased husband.....her husband immediate brother can still take her as wife to continue d lineage but few hardly do that,she still has d husband children to cater for in her late husband house,she can't sleep with other men without consequences to her or her children,to break that bond she has to return d bride price to d husband people.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by soloehis(m): 8:53am On Aug 26, 2023
Marriage is till death.. obviously death has separated her from her husband,the bride price refund is not necessary. But dude,what plan do u have for that woman? Life is beyond having fun..o. dont break that widows heart becauseGod dey answer their prayerswith speed of light
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Bfly: 8:54am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:

You are probably insane.
A widow is a woman whose husband has died.
Which death are you looking for again?

Or is it your own english that is too simple for us to understand?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 8:54am On Aug 26, 2023
AzizG550:

That’s not true. If a man dies, his wife is still his wife. Marriage does not end because of death of a spouse. Even if the man is dead, the woman is still legally married to the man and continues to bear the man’s surname. If she wants to remarry, then her family will have to return the dowry to the man’s family.

Marriage does not end because of the death of a spouse. The lady you are sleeping with is still somebody’s wife and somebody’s daughter in law.
If you want to marry her, then make enquiries on how the dowry can be returned and how the marriage can be ended traditionally and legally.

Which tribe or community is this applicable to?

My cousin (who is igbo) whose husband (igbo) died in 2016, remarried in December 2022 without us, her family refunding any bride price to her late husband's family as she just only informed them she was remarrying and she will be relocating with her new husband to the UK along with the son she had with her late husband who is now 9yrs and still retains his late father's name as his surname.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by eldoradoxx: 8:55am On Aug 26, 2023
In Africa, you dont marry just the man and when he dies, the woman moves on as if he was a piece of furniture that can be discarded easily. In most traditions in Africa you marry to the family, that is why they man's family address the woman as "Our wife". In many part of igbo land, it is forbidden for a widow to have an affair in the late husband's house. Spiritually, as along as she still lives in the home they shared together, it is like they are still married regardless of his death.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by boldsleek: 8:56am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
You are actually the one who finds English hard to understand.

read what you wrote again.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by einsteine(m): 8:57am On Aug 26, 2023
Stupid Nigerians and their stupid beliefs.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 8:57am On Aug 26, 2023
billyG:
In some cultures death did not entirely seperate her from deceased husband.....her husband immediate brother can still take her as wife to continue d lineage but few hardly do that,she still has d husband children to cater for in her late husband house,she can't sleep with other men without consequences to her or her children,to break that bond she has to return d bride price to d husband people.

Which tribe/community still practice marrying the late husband's immediate brother?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 8:59am On Aug 26, 2023
eldoradoxx:
In Africa, you dont marry just the man and when he dies, the woman moves on as if he was a piece of furniture that can be discarded easily. In most traditions in Africa you marry to the family, that is why they man's family address the woman as "Our wife". In many part of igbo land, it is forbidden for a widow to have an affair in the late husband's house. Spiritually, as along as she still lives in the home they shared together, it is like they are still married regardless of his death.

If she packs out of the home to another rented apartment or the one she built, what happens?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by xangerar: 8:59am On Aug 26, 2023
No! In death is the end of all things, including the marriage contract. Death supersedes the return of bride price in terminating the marriage.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by boldsleek: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2023
TotoGame:

Igbo Culture! A widow that wishes to remarry must return her bride price to her husband's family
Say your family and not "Igbo culture".

The widows that remarried in Igbo land that I come from...., didn't return bride price.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by aQUINandmore: 9:02am On Aug 26, 2023
Every woman has the right to date anybody even when she's still married.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mindlog: 9:02am On Aug 26, 2023
MossLuv:

Mention the tribe so that the people will you about their culture.
My own culture forbid widow from dating until they perform certain ritual and return bride price especially when she want to remarry

You didn't mention your own tribe/community.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by serverconnect(m): 9:03am On Aug 26, 2023
The bond is for better, for worst, till death ...
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Alonso91(m): 9:04am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:

It's obvious you don't understand English either
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Henix(m): 9:05am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

Upon all the women out there, a widow is whom you are attracted to. Continue entangling urself
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by FireUpNow(m): 9:05am On Aug 26, 2023
You try oo. Why didn't you ask her what killed her husband and what their culture is before sliding Into her kpekus? Death ends marriage so what pride p ice are you talking about? Go and ask elders and the wise me .
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Dididrumz(m): 9:05am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:

"Simple English", but, na you no even understand am pass sef.

Na wah for You oooo 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Death has done the said widow part from her husband, or do You want her to stay married to the dead body of her dead husband?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by pascal558(m): 9:06am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

Here in Benin there is a certain number of time she has to wait before she can be with another man, and I know it's same in Etsako too and the man's family have to kind of meet with her and there are some traditional rites from place to place. Some requires someone standing as her husband from the family and buying her some gifts and saying words like you are free to go or so.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Mayeldah(m): 9:06am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:

You are the one not understanding what you just quoted.

...'till death do us part' ... what does it mean? once a partner is dead, the other is free to start dating even the following week

Nothing wrong there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Monarchs Slam Gani Adams For Opposing Coronation Of Yoruba Traditional Rulers / People Build Better Houses In The Village: Why? / Eid Mubarak: Emir Of Ilorin At Prayer Ground. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.