Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,071 members, 7,814,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? (18679 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Osobi32(m): 11:30am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.
Till death do them apart ABI.... Then understand that death has separated her from the husband. Very simple English

3 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by findel: 11:30am On Aug 26, 2023
Death vitiate marital relationship, at the point of death every one vow becomes cancelled. She does not need to return bride price or anything. If she is leaving for another relationship, all she has to do is to make that intention known and follow the custom of the place, if requirement for return of bride price is necessary, she can do but that is not a requirement under law.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by thebar: 11:35am On Aug 26, 2023
NoToPile:
I believe death ends all marital ties in Yoruba land too.

Not true

If a man dies, the family have Rright to give the lady to a younger guy in the family

They believe if the lady take her children o another man's house in the name of marriage, the children won't get the proper care they deserve. So they'll give the lady to another guy in the family..

And bible also talk about this in Deuteronomy 25:5 (KJV) If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead[b] shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her[b][/b]
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by dom(m): 11:36am On Aug 26, 2023
Prima facie, death severs every conjugal tie between a married couple. That is even why the marital vow says "till DEATH do us PART". The severance of the marital ties is so strong that after I buried my Dad, my mum symbolically went to her hometown. I, as the first son, had to symbolically come with drinks to her eldest brother to bring her back. This is Owerri native law and customs.
Make enquiries about the customs of the deceased (and the woman)..
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Yankee101: 11:39am On Aug 26, 2023
For what?

Till death do you part has happened

She’s free
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by fx45(m): 11:42am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

Many things have been going through my mind concerning her.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Because I’m considering cutting ties with her and go for deliverance.
You first of all have to tell us your own culture. Who amongst the both of you is Igbo and who is Yoruba? We can't advice you when we don't have the basic information

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Father4all: 11:43am On Aug 26, 2023
samwash:
If the woman wants to remarry, she has to return the bride price, and inform the late husband's family of her decision.
maybe in your own culture only
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by BePrepared: 11:46am On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:
For better for worst till death do us part. Simpl English but hard to understand. I don’t know why a widow who swore till death do us part wants to still chop gbola. It’s just insane.

Read b4 commenting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I’m in a serious situation. i have been dating this young widow for a while now without any issues.

But From the day I slept with her i have been noticing some things i don’t want to talk about.

From the igbo/Yoruba and all other cultures in Nigeria. What should a widow do before she start sleeping with another man? Should she returned the bride price?

Sighs....
This is why I say there is nothing like love in the world. It is yet another vanity people chase in vain.

" Young widow "
Now, she is already receiving your " pipe " inside her chamber.
Probably, her husband thought she would love him till the end of time. They move on fast.

No one loves you in this world, man. If you die (God forbid) tomorrow, she'll equally move on to the next available dikk and home.
I'll enjoy my self-love to the fullest. I'll never love a woman above myself, or, put her first, because I know this game all too well.
Only God can love a person. All we do as humans is just manage, or endure, or compensate one another. Not real love.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Morbeta11(m): 11:48am On Aug 26, 2023
DaddyRochie1642:
Better go for deliverance

Abegi....that's mindset, my babe is a widow and we are both doing well.

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Farfalla(f): 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

people dey try o!

did you bother checking what caused her to be a widow at a very young age, I guess NO

So you've never heard of people who die young and leave young widows behind? Is it only old people who die?

The way some of you reason...SMH. angry

4 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by bassey08: 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2023
Something must kill a man....oga go and see her people and do the needful.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Farfalla(f): 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
PaulOtl:

Sighs....
This is why I say there is nothing like love in the world. It is yet another vanity people chase in vain.

" Young widow "
Now, she is already receiving your " pipe " inside her chamber.
Probably her husband thought she would love him till the end of time. They move on fast.

No one loves you I'm this world, man. If you die (God forbid) tomorrow, she'll equally move on to the next available dikk and home.
I'll enjoy my self-love to the fullest. I'll never love a woman above myself, or put her first, because I know this game all too well.
Only God can love a person. All we do as humans is just manage, or endure, or compensate one another. Not real love.

grin grin

Your issue is that a woman is moving on with her life.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Jonegonu: 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

from my tribe and culture which is ikwerre culture there is a ritual she need to perform that will give her room to sleep with another man or remarry if she desires. but if she have not done that ritual and you have slept with her I think sorry will be your name no amount of deliverance will save you. We don't return bride price once the man is dead, just the ritual is ok.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Kazim88: 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
The issue obviously is not about bride price because marriage is nullify by death in all religion and culture.

The issue is that the woman has some super natural issues that most likely took her husband and now you are in the same bus, seat a dead man once rode.

Good luck
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by doublestar21(m): 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2023
Ishilove:

It seems you typed without understanding what you typed

This is what you get when an illetrate copies from you in the exam hall. He will even copy your name join.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by bestman09(m): 12:22pm On Aug 26, 2023
ehissi:

Taaaaaaa!!

Who dey collect official bride price for Nnewi.......nobody dey collect official bride price for Nnewi, all of them na padded budget them dey give man whey wan marry from their side

Ignorance is a disease. You think everything you read online is true. I'm telling you what is happening in my town and you are spewing nonsense.
You are allowed to say whatever you want.

I repeat, official bride price in Nnewi south LGA, as a whole in Anambra state is N5000 and the parents will still give you some money out of it. I'm in the village right now and the marriage we celebrated 2 days ago, the father of the bride took N200 out of the bride price and returned the rest to the groom.
However, drinks and other things involved may take up to N200k depending on how you want it but official bride price is N5000. Thanks
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by powerhouse3(m): 12:28pm On Aug 26, 2023
Hope she's not from idoma in benue

If she's from there ...then she need to return the bride price
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by phemmyfour: 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

From the Yoruba culture...No, cos the bride price was returned to the woman's family on the day of her wedding.

She has the right to remarry but you have to meet her people for the necessary marriage rite before sleeping with her. What you're doing is an abomination
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by RALPHOW(m): 12:54pm On Aug 26, 2023
You do not need to return her bride price, but pay another bride pri ce to her parent.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by nextstep(m): 12:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
How so? Well, since we want to be treating women like property as if it's 200 years ago in Europe, riddle me this:

Man buys car, rides it for 10 years. Man dies. Should the person that sold the car in the first place get full price back before we can sell the car to another man?

If the wife is to return bride price, let the dead man's family also compensate her for all the free labor she did for her husband and his family.

Shior!
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by nextstep(m): 1:00pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

She should do nothing. The same church you want to go to for deliverance, does not recognize bride price or any of this crud. Woman is a widow, and released from marriage, afterall the vow does say "till death do us part".
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by kevwemike: 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2023
In Delta the woman must return the bride price b4 she can marry another man and after the return she must not touch anything related to the man's property again bços if she does the consequences might lead to death.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by LordReed(m): 1:25pm On Aug 26, 2023
Berrityga:

Wait you think a widow should not remarry or have relations with another man till she dies?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by LordReed(m): 1:26pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

Are you sure nobi STD you don go carry so?
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by Ishilove: 1:46pm On Aug 26, 2023
kevwemike:
In Delta the woman must return the bride price b4 she can marry another man and after the return she must not touch anything related to the man's property again bços if she does the consequences might lead to death.
What area of Delta?

1 Like

Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by ibinaboonline: 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
In Portable's voice: wahala, wahala, wahala, wahalaaaaa
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by diamondbody(m): 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2023
Silly superstitious slowpoke. You had sex with a young widow, and you are less concerned about your own morals, you choose to blame her on based on some vague and intangible premise from your irrational mind. You sir are a fool and may your problems be multiplied. Please let that innocent widow be and cut off ever tie with her , for her sake , not yours. God is the husband to the widows. She doesn't need your Inquiry. I just pity the idiots responding to your request on this platform. Country of slowpokes
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by kevwemike: 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uhrobo quote author=Ishilove post=125372877]
What area of Delta? [/quote]
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by iamjavadem(m): 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2023
Till death do us apart, he is dead so contract don end.
Re: Does A Widow Need To Return Bride Price For Her To Date Another Man? by lomprico(m): 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2023
fineboynl:

No

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi-Telu Visits Obasanjo In Abeokuta / Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong / Emir Of Dutse, Nuhu Muhammad Sunusi Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.