Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,278 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter (35805 Views)

David Hundeyin Responds To Aisha Lawal After Claiming Yoruba Started Nollywood / Actress And Influencer Evanny Patrick Dazzles At 'glamour Girls' Premier In Abuj / #bbnaija: Yorubas Disown Tobi For Begging Cee-c Who Got Angry Over Lap Dance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:21am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:
This is common knowledge. Same as the music industry, media/journalism, literature, and many others. The yorubas are pioneers.
You people use Lagos influence to deceive yourselves. Do you know that first indegenous rap album was recorded in Enugu by Massai (onye kwulu oto) .this was many years before Dagrin. Also Mr. Raw and Sloow Dogg were hits in igbo rap before yoruba rap. But I have seen many yorubas laying claims to be pioneers of indegenous rap

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:25am On Aug 27, 2023
Ritchiee:

lol
You are laughable.
What do you mean by commercial,sir.
I told you that the movies that have made the most money are the ones made by Yoruba.
Either in the English Language or local languages.

These are the best commercially viable movies in the history of Nollywood.
All done by Yorubas.
Since Hubert Ogunde and co started it till date.
No other movies beat them.

Here are the top 5 highest-grossing Nollywood films of all time.

1. Omo Ghetto: The Saga
Released in 2020, Omo Ghetto is a comedy directed by Funke Akindele and her husband, Jjc Skillz. It stars Akindele as Lefty, who struggles between the choice of living life in the ghetto with her friends or enjoying the comfortable lifestyle offered by her wealthy adopted mother. It ruled the Nigerian box office for 10 weeks, grossing a total of N636 million.

2. The Wedding Party
When The Wedding Party was released in December 2016, it broke the record of the highest-grossing Nollywood movie. Directed by Kemi Adetiba, the rom-com follows the chaos and drama over a day as a wealthy family tries to prepare and pull off a lavish wedding. The film was a box office success, grossing over N453 million in total.

3. The Wedding Party 2
After the success of The Wedding Party, its sequel, The Wedding Party 2: Destination Dubai was released in 2017. Directed by Niya Akinmolayan, it’s set across Nigeria and Dubai as a British and Nigerian couple (Deirdre, the London bridesmaid and Nonso, Dozie’s elder brother from the first movie) plan to wed. It grossed over N433 million overall.

4. Chief Daddy
Another Niya Akinmolayan directorial smash was Chief Daddy, the fourth highest-grossing Nigerian movie of all time. The comedy-drama tells the story of the billionaire industrialist and polygamist, Chief Beecroft and the effects on his dysfunctional family after his sudden and unexpected death. When it was released in 2018, the film grossed over N387.5 million.

5. Sugar Rush
Directed by Kayode Kasum, Sugar Rush follows the three Sugar sisters as they discover $800,000 in the house of a corrupt man, Chief Douglas. After the sisters lavishly spend the money, they end up in serious trouble when the mafias come to claim their share of the money. The heist comedy was an instant success in 2019, grossing over N287 million.
Read the interview. The interview said that the new technology of streaming platforms is helping yorubas catch up. Before then it used to be igbo controlled distributors and marketers. (Idumota Lagos, Iweka road Onitsha and pounds road Aba). You are just trying to catch up from long years of absolute Igbo domination by taking advantage of new streaming technology

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 12:26am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

You people use Lagos influence to deceive yourselves. Do you know that first indegenous rap album was recorded in Enugu by Massai (onye kwulu oto) .this was many years before Dagrin. Mr. Raw, Sloow Dogg were hits in igbo rap before yoruba rap
They also don't want to admit that they've been listening to rap music by Nigga raw long before olamide and dagrin started music

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Putinofrussia: 12:31am On Aug 27, 2023
I don't even know why any sane person will dispute the fact that Nollywood was created by the Yorubas.
Movies like the ones made by Baba Salah,Hubert Ogunde etc were watched in cinemas,on tv etc.
It was from here that anything video or whatever began.
Most things entertainment,arts etc started in the SW especially in Ibadan and Lagos.

These are the best movies ever produced in Nigeria and they were all produced by Yorubas.

https://www.transfergo.com/the-top-5-highest-grossing-nollywood-films-of-all-time

15 Likes

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:33am On Aug 27, 2023
LagosPrince:

They also don't want to admit that they've been listening to rap music by Nigga raw long before olamide and dagrin started music
They like to deceive themselves with Lagos influence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 12:34am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

You people use Lagos influence to deceive yourselves. Do you know that first indegenous rap album was recorded in Enugu by Massai (onye kwulu oto) .this was many years before Dagrin. Also Mr. Raw and Sloow Dogg were hits in igbo rap before yoruba rap. But I have seen many yorubas laying claims to be pioneers of indegenous rap
You may lay claim to the first indigenous rap album but the first rap album in Nigeria was by DJ Ron ‘Ronnie’ Ekundayo.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:34am On Aug 27, 2023
Putinofrussia:
I don't even know why any sane person will dispute the fact that Nollywood was created by the Yorubas.
Movies like the ones made by Baba Salah,Hubert Ogunde etc were watched in cinemas,on tv etc.
It was from here that anything video or whatever began.
Most things entertainment,arts etc started in the SW especially in Ibadan and Lagos.

These are the best movies ever produced in Nigeria and they were all produced by Sweeteners.

https://www.transfergo.com/the-top-5-highest-grossing-nollywood-films-of-all-time

Cinema and TV no be Nollywood. How many times can we correct you? Nollywood is the commercial production of recorded home videos

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:36am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

You may lay claim to the first indigenous rap album but the first rap album in Nigeria was by DJ Ron ‘Ronnie’ Ekundayo.
I'm talking about indegenous rap. Igbos introduced that local content into rap. We have native intelligence. You copy oyibo people without any local ingenuity

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 12:40am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

I'm talking about indegenous rap. Igbos introduced that local content into rap. We have native intelligence. You copy oyibo people without any local ingenuity
Wait a minute. What year was Massai (onye kwulu oto) released?

I want to check something.

4 Likes

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Putinofrussia: 12:40am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

Read the interview. The interview said that the new technology of streaming platforms is helping yorubas catch up. Before then it used to be igbo controlled distributors and marketers. (Idumota Lagos, Iweka road Onitsha and pounds road Aba). You are just trying to catch up from long years of absolute Igbo domination by taking advantage of new streaming technology
lol
How would somebody beating you black and blue and producing the best ever movies catch up with you that you are nowhere close?

Google all the most grossing movies ever in Nigeria and you will see that out of 100,Yorubas have up to 90 grin

You are not even catching up with the Yorubas,you are almost virtually asleep. cheesy

20 Likes

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:47am On Aug 27, 2023
Putinofrussia:
lol
How would somebody beating you black and blue and producing the best ever movies catch up with you that you are nowhere close?

Google all the most grossing movies ever in Nigeria and you will see that out of 100,Yorubas have up to 90 grin

You are not even catching up with the Yorubas,you are almost virtually asleep. cheesy
Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:47am On Aug 27, 2023
Putinofrussia:
lol

You see your life? What happened to movies produced before grossing? I laugh at the list filled with recent movies. Why not list from the beginning of Nollywood and see that you are far from catching up? Secondly, it's not about first five or first ten, it's about the total.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by opamoses1: 12:47am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

This is not true.

AY, Rasqui, Mentho K e.t.c were all Yoruba rappers that were in the game before those Igbo rappers you listed.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by FreeStuffsNG: 12:48am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

Aisha's revelation of the fact really peppered you and entered your body o grin. See how you are all over the thread and without shame, struggling hard to revise history set in facts with your lies and dubious definition of Nollywood.

Hollywood is the term for the film industry of USA, same as Nollywood as the term for Nigeria film industry and Bollywood for the Indian film industry.

You don't even know that Ibadan Yorubaland with the first TV in Africa is where Nollywood was first showcased to the world and not Lagos Yorubaland. You don't even know that most of those Nollywood star actors in Yoruba films like Odunade, Mr Latin etc don't even live in Lagos!

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 12:50am On Aug 27, 2023
opamoses1:

This is not true.

AY, Rasqui, Mentho K e.t.c were all Yoruba rappers that were in the game before those Igbo rappers you listed.
Thank you. That's why I was waiting for him to reply grin

I remember grooving to Rasqui "soji" in high school in the late 1990s. Even the Ibo boys in my school were all vibing to soji back then.

13 Likes

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Putinofrussia: 12:50am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

Cinema and TV no be Nollywood. How many times can we correct you? Nollywood is the commercial production of recorded home videos
lol
I bet you are intelligent or you can at least pretend to be.
Hollywood, Bollywood and others all over the world all started from cinemas then into videos and so on.

There is a reason the world wouldn't forget the inventors of most tools we use today like cars,phones etc.

In simple words,Yorubas invented cheesy Nollywood before you know what acting is all about..

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:52am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

Wait a minute. What year was Massai (onye kwulu oto) released?

I want to check something.
2006. Three years before Da Grin. Listen to the jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u7gZdxsJfQ&pp=ygUUT255ZSBrd3V1IG90byBNYXNzYWk%3D

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 12:54am On Aug 27, 2023
Putinofrussia:

lol
I bet you are intelligent or you can at least pretend to be.
Hollywood, Bollywood and others all over the world all started from cinemas then into videos and so on.

There is a reason the world wouldn't forget the inventors of most tools we use today like cars,phones etc.

In simple words,Yorubas invented cheesy Nollywood before you know what acting is all about..
So yoruba started acting? No. Yoruba started showing acting on TV. Igbo started recording acting as home videos. Nollywood is the commercial aspect which goes beyond acting. Igbo dominated marketing and distribution, the livewire of Nollywood

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:01am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

2006. Three years before Dark Grin
"Soji" by rasqui was already on the airwaves in 1999. And there were even other Yoruba rappers like Lord of Ajasa with "ma yi lo" released in 2000.

And before those guys, there was AY - hard to survive/Eko si London was even around before year 2000..

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:05am On Aug 27, 2023
The only earlier rappers of Ibo origin that I could think of were Junior and Pretty but they rapped in pidgin with some yorubas in their lyrics.
Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 1:08am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

"Soji" by rasqui was already on the airwaves in 1999. And there were even other Yoruba rappers like Lord of Ajasa with "ma yi lo" released in 2000.

And before those guys, there was AY - hard to survive/Eko si London was even around before year 2000..

I'm talking about hip hop rap oga. Una don start again oo. Did I say yoruba songs?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:08am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

I'm talking about hip hop rap oga. Una don start again oo. Did I say yoruba songs?
Lord of Ajasa, AY, Rasqie all rapped in Yoruba. They were rappers. Lord of Ajasa and AY rapped 100% in Yoruba.

I don't know where you lived but these guys were popular Yoruba rappers in the late 90s. And like I mentioned earlier, junior and pretty rapped as well but they rapped in pidgin and added Yoruba to it like in their track "bolanle" .

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 1:10am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

Guy I'm talking about modern naija hip hop. There were uncountable old skul igbo "raps"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 1:12am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

Lord of Ajasa, AY, Rasqie all rapped in Yoruba. They were rappers. Lord of Ajasa and AY rapped 100% in Yoruba.

I don't know where you lived but these guys were popular Yoruba rappers in the late 90s. And like I mentioned earlier, junior and pretty rapped as well but they rapped in pidgin and added Yoruba to it like in their track "bolanle" .
I'm talking contemporary hip hop. There are many Igbos "rappers" in the 90s

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:12am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

Guy I'm talking about modern naija hip hop. There were uncountable old skul igbo "raps"
LMAO. How far is year 2000 to 2006.
Dude. They are all modern naija hip hop. Lord of Ajasa rapped all through till the mid to late 2000

This Yoruba rap below was released in year 2000. Hard core hip hop grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm7JY85ooDc?si=Wxpir7GRiDJLP8T5

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Putinofrussia: 1:13am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

You see your life? What happened to movies produced before grossing? I laugh at the list filled with recent movies. Why not list from the beginning of Nollywood and see that you are far from catching up? Secondly, it's not about first five or first ten, it's about the total.
Why don't you post a list to contradict the one posted?
Nowhere can you see a list of the best movies in Nigeria that Igbos will have even 20 out of 200 but you will see the one that Yorubas will pick 170 or more out of 200.
They are the owners and pioneers of arts,movies etc in Nigeria.
The Afrobeat created by the Yorubas is what what is making waves even abroad now.
The problem with you Igbos is you are too emotional to accept that Yorubas are your benefactors,helpers and senior brother in achievements.. I don't want to use superior because it sounds demeaning.
You are lucky that you have somebody..a people..that you are looking up to and trying to catch up with in Africa cohabiting with you in Nigeria. cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:15am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

This is another hardcore rap released by AY in 1999. Yorubas lead while others follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIH9CrrE2Q?si=6xijJo-LH9cf5W07

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 1:16am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:
The only earlier rappers of Ibo origin that I could think of were Junior and Pretty but they rapped in pidgin with some yorubas in their lyrics.
Na you know 19BC songs you are mentioning. Modern hip hop raps as we know was popularized by idris and Rugged man. Any song before then is old skul.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Putinofrussia: 1:18am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

So yoruba started acting? No. Yoruba started showing acting on TV. Igbo started recording acting as home videos. Nollywood is the commercial aspect which goes beyond acting. Igbo dominated marketing and distribution, the livewire of Nollywood
lol
You are behind the Yorubas in making money in Nollywood because they have the best and most selling movies ever in the history of Nollywood.
Both in English language and local language.
Igbos don't come close. cheesy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:25am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

Na you know 19BC songs you are mentioning. Modern hip hop raps as we know was popularized by idris and Rugged man. Any song before then is old skul.
You are confused. Idris started rap his broken English rap also around 99/2000.

You are jumping around like an headless chicken.
1st you said indigenous, I gave you indigenous, now you have gone to broken English rap.

Rugged man is a baby that came much later with his American style copy type of rap. Even at that, da tribes were earlier than rugged man when it comes to American copy style of rap.

I feel I am discussing with a baby in the Nigerian hip hop arena grin

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 1:26am On Aug 27, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

This is another hardcore rap released by AY in 1999. Yorubas lead while others follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIH9CrrE2Q?si=6xijJo-LH9cf5W07
You just de browse de post. Nobody knows these people. Day Nigga Raw was a hit he actually started before Massai. Da grin is first yoruba contemporary rapper
Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Raskimonojendor: 1:27am On Aug 27, 2023
igwebuike01:

You just de browse de post. Nobody knows these people. Day Nigga Raw was a hit he actually started before Massai
Lagosians know them. Maybe Ibo boys from the hinterland do not know them. You can see AIT on the video. You probably don't even know what AIT is
🤣🤣🤣

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Genevieve Nnaji: A True Star / BBNaija: Lady Rocks 'Vote Frodd' On Her Chest (Photos) / BBNaija: Frodd Bonding With His Mother (Throwback Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.