Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter (35438 Views)

David Hundeyin Responds To Aisha Lawal After Claiming Yoruba Started Nollywood / Actress And Influencer Evanny Patrick Dazzles At 'glamour Girls' Premier In Abuj / #bbnaija: Yorubas Disown Tobi For Begging Cee-c Who Got Angry Over Lap Dance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by FreeStuffsNG: 10:51pm On Aug 26, 2023
Aisha Lawal is an actress, a scriptwriter, a filmmaker and an event host. She is popular in the Yoruba movie industry and has been featured in many movies. In this interview by ROTIMI IGE, she speaks about her role in the biopic ‘Awujale’ and the importance of documenting history.

When you received the script for the film ‘Awujale’, how did you feel?

I am playing the role of ‘Olori Iyabo’ in this movie and am ready to ‘pepper’ people’s faces as the number one olori. When I received the script and read it. I noticed there is something about biopics and autobiographies — it’s like going through someone’s memoirs or something like that. It was so captivating. It was enlightening. There were some things I didn’t know about the king that I just got to know via the script.

I feel good to be a part of it — being a part of someone’s history means you are a part of an icon. I don’t want to mention names, but you know Awujale is one of the first-class kings in Yoruba land. So, it’s a privilege to be a part of the biopic.

Why do you think it’s important for us to document history with biopics like this?

I think it’s important because if people didn’t document books like the Psalms, Genesis, and the Synoptic Gospels, there may not be a Bible. These are the ways to preserve histories and stories through movies, folktales and the like. So, now that it’s even more modern, you don’t need to look for a scroll or base stories on ‘my grandfather said’. When we have things documented in scripts, movies, books, etc., in the next 100 years, people can go to the library to access them, pick them up, watch them as movies, or Google them. With this, you get to know all about traditions. It preserves tradition.

How did you prepare for the role?

The first thing I did was to reach out to my mum. My mum is half Ijebu. So, I asked a couple of questions from her and she was able to answer me. I knew a little of Ijebu because I’ve been to Ojude Oba a couple of times. But I know the Ijebu people and the way they carry themselves. I had to ask a couple of questions like: Do they all speak the same way, or is it different? Can I have an idea of the way they speak? Does anybody know Olori Iyabo? Can they tell me what her lifestyle was like? How did she cope with situations? How does she accommodate people? How does she relate to people? Her carriage, manners, and the like. This was so that I can have an idea. I didn’t intend to copy her manners from A to Z. I just wanted to have an idea so that I can understand the character herself.

What elements appeal to you before taking on a role? And, what do you look for in scripts?

I look for challenging roles majorly. And if the role is not challenging, I want to know how the movie can add to my profile. So, it’s either you are adding to my profile or the character itself is challenging. That would make me showcase myself in another dimension.

In your career as an actress, what do you think prepared you for the role of an Olori Adetona?

That question is coincidental because when we shot a scene and I posted a picture of myself on my status, my husband was the first person that commented. He said, “You will soon become an olori in real life.” I have played the role of olori in a couple of big-screen movies. So, when I got this script, it was not too difficult. In fact, there are some movies that I play roles in that I have to travel in time — I’ll play the younger version and the older version too. But, they are not yet out. There are movies like ‘Ashiri Ade’ and the like that are big-screen cultural movies that I played something similar in it. Being an actor, you should be able to flow with whatever characterisation you are given — mad woman, religious woman, whatever, you should be able to do it.

From what you have read and the research you have done on the personality of the role you are playing, what is your takeaway from the film?

I grew up hearing about ‘Awujale’. So, even before I received the script, I knew that he is someone that everyone would want to know more about. When I read the script and saw his journey and the trials he passed through, I understood that some people have grace added to their journey and there is faith at the same time. So, whatever happens, that grace and faith would keep working for you. I think that has been the major thing that has been working for the man. God has been so good to him. With all the obstacles he has faced, he comes out better. From what we have read about him, he is not the best — he is just like Daniel in the Bible. I think he is just lucky and God loves him a lot.

Critics are saying that streaming platforms have come on board and are now pumping money into the industry and that the Yoruba aspect of Nollywood is playing catch-up. What can you say about that?

We own the industry. Go back to research. The industry belongs to the Yoruba people. If you go back to research, you will hear from people like Hubert Ogunde and Ade Love. I don’t want to go into details. But, if you go and research very well, you will discover that Yorubas own this industry, we started this industry. We messed up at some point, but we are not playing catch-up. We are there already. Now, everybody wants to shoot a Yoruba movie.

Are there areas we need to improve on?

There are a lot of areas — basically in technical areas. But, I think we have also done that. Please, see ‘Jagun Jagun’ before you say we are playing catch-up.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/yorubas-started-nollywood-own-it-aisha-lawal-actress-and-scriptwriter/

111 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by FreeStuffsNG: 10:51pm On Aug 26, 2023
doctorbabs:
GET YOUR FACT RIGHT... YORUBA STARTED HOME VIDEO IN 1988, EKUN BY TITLE AND PRODUCED BY LATE PRINCE MUYIDEEN ALADE AROMIRE. LIVING IN BONDAGE WAS PRODUCED IN 1992

Some people actually think that Nollywood started with 'Living In Bondage ' and 'Domitila'. Smh.

Aisha is even schooling them for free when they should be paying to recieve this kind of knowledge.

Everything about entertainment in Africa, from the first TV station to the first stadium etc, has its root in Ibadan, the heart of Yorubaland through the vision of our forebears. Thank you Aisha for the free education you are giving them.

Entertainment business is total package and it's bringing in billions into Nigeria through the Nigerian music, sports and film industry pioneered by the Yoruba and still owned by the Yoruba.

The chart bursting Nollywood films are produced in Yoruba but subtitled in English, Asake sings in Yoruba, all the Nigerian music Stars that performed at his UK show, including Tunde Baiyewu of Light House, are Nigerians and Yoruba with link to Nollywood. Most of those sound tracks in Yoruba films come from these Yoruba global Musicians.

Even Gospel musicians like Tope Alabi and Mike Bamilloye's Mount Zion films are connected to Nollywood while World Boxing Champion Anthony Olufemi Joshua, World Athletics record-holder Tobi Amusan, along with Odunlade Adekola, Olamide, Teni and others are Glo Ambassadors, Iya Rainbow, Lateef Adedimeji, Dele Odule from Nollywood as Airtel Ambassadors, with their faces all over local and international Nigerian entertainment contents sponsorship.

Yoruba started Nollywood when the rest of Nigeria and Africa had not even seen or watched a TV in their lives and the Yoruba still own Nollywood till date.

The Yoruba can teach others in Nigeria and Africa how they sustain this global feat and dominance of entertainment if others are humble enough to learn from the Yoruba. We are all Nigerians/Africans and we can learn from one another. Check my signature for free stuffs!

503 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Acekidc4(m): 10:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
She is saying the Confirmed Truth!! Yoruba Lagba anytime anyday 🤗🤓

292 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 10:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
Yoruba started Nollywood yet, most Yoruba actors and actresses didn't break through the English version of Nollywood from baba suwe to Mr latin down to Femi adebayo.

The Igbos gave Nollywood life and since Yoruba actors and actresses couldn't break through the English version of Nollywood probably because their english sucks, Dem kuku create Nollywood Yoruba to console themselves.

416 Likes 55 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Taylor90: 10:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Some people actually think that Nollywood started with 'Living In Bondage ' and 'Dormitila'. Smh.

Aisha is even schooling them for free when they should be paying to recieve this kind of knowledge.

Everything about entertainment in Africa, from the first TV station to the first stadium etc, has its root in Ibadan, the heart of Yoruba. Thank you Aisha for the free education you are giving them.

May this movie Aisha started favor me and my family

105 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Babaken(m): 10:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
Who dey drag am with Una, una think say na everytime person dey get time dey argue for waiten no get head.

334 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by funmijoyb(f): 10:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
Who doesn't know Yoruba started Nollywood and Music in Nigeria.
South Westerners are the pioneers entertainments including skits and comedy

288 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by GoodLife4live: 10:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
Herbert ogunde movie in 1973... No play ooo

Things fall apart 1983 .haha the gap is much to justify..

But things fall apart is more recognized than all Herbert ogunde's film

268 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 10:59pm On Aug 26, 2023
funmijoyb:
Who doesn't know Yoruba started Nollywood and Music in Nigeria.
South Westerners are the pioneers entertainments including skits and comedy
Una don from Nollywood to music now?

Always measuring dicks with the Igbos .

Inferiority complex

319 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Westerhoffe(m): 11:01pm On Aug 26, 2023
GoodLife4live:

Says who?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by funmijoyb(f): 11:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
LagosPrince:

Una don from Nollywood to music now?

Always measuring dicks with the Igbos .

Inferiority complex
So where did I mentioned Igbo?

312 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 11:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
The lady in picture is pained because nobody calls her for English films except for Yoruba movies .

😂 😆 😂

176 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Validated: 11:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
Abeg what is the title of the first Nollywood film by Yoruba? We know of living in bondage ooo.

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 11:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
funmijoyb:

So where did I mentioned Igbo?
That's where you're driving at including the OP.

You people are obsessed with the Igbos so much that you want to measure dicks with them at any given opportunity.

Stop this inferiority complex.

The Igbos gave Nollywood life. Even the OP admitted that some Nigerians think that Nollywood started with "Living in bondage" which we all know Actor Kenneth okonkwo was the lead actor.

161 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by kettykin: 11:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
Yoruba started yollywood, hausa started hausahood , igbos started nollywood .

226 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by GoodLife4live: 11:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
Validated:
Abeg what is the title of the first Nollywood film by Yoruba? We know of living in bondage ooo.
Dem never even born u our mum talkless u... First televised movie was in 1973... A Yoruba film..

Jaguar in 1978 in bronkin English..

290 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 11:07pm On Aug 26, 2023
Validated:

Yoruba don't have any film that one can remember the name.

But everyone remembered Living in bondage

90 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Ola9ja23: 11:08pm On Aug 26, 2023
This people and their nonsense argument

We are proud of our Yoruba movies as it promotes our culture and heritage that's why you see many of them doing great on Netflix and attracting international attention. I can't remember any ibo movie on Netflix that gain attention as Yoruba language in Africa.

We don't need to brake into local English movie of IPOB 😂 the way we started our Afrobeat and Afromusic that's recognized internationally today is the way we want Yoruba movies from Africa to the world.

Yoruba is greater than Africa

90 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 11:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
Yet, Desmond Elliot dumped his yoruba name to get a role in Igbo dominated Nollywood

109 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 11:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
GoodLife4live:
Dem never even born u our mum talkless u... First televised movie was in 1973... A Yoruba film..

What is jaguar ?

Probably one of those stage play that they usually act in primary schools sometimes around 1995

70 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by LagosPrince: 11:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
igwebuike01:
Yet, Desmond Elliot dumped his yoruba name to get a role in Igbo dominated Nollywood
Na Igbo get Nollywood

Yoruba get Nollywood yoruba since they couldn't break into the English version of Nollywood Epic

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Obagreatdatoye(m): 11:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
GoodLife4live:

School them biko...they like to argue too dumb, a people.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 11:12pm On Aug 26, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Some people actually think that Nollywood started with 'Living In Bondage ' and 'Domitila'. Smh.

Everything about entertainment in Africa, from the first TV station to the first stadium etc, has its root in Ibadan, the heart of Yoruba. Thank you Aisha for the free education you are giving them.

Nollywood is about recorded home videos which was started by Igbos. TV series no be Nollywood

94 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 11:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Obagreatdatoye:

School them biko...they like to argue too dumb, a people.
These are not Nollywood. They are not recorded for commercial distribution till Igbos entered and changed the game

84 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Oxb90: 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2023
I no free naim dey year shirt.
May God help this country with tribalism.

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by MrBiGGEST(m): 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2023
🧘🏾‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2023
LagosPrince:

What is jaguar ?

Probably one of those stage play that they usually act on primary schools sometimes around 1995
Those TV televised stage play are not Nollywood

48 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 11:16pm On Aug 26, 2023
GoodLife4live:

Was it recorded and produced for Mass distribution? Oga una lack business sense. Na we be the first to record film. Iweka Road Onitsha

95 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by oyeludef(m): 11:21pm On Aug 26, 2023
igwebuike01:

Was it recorded and produced for Mass distribution? Oga una lack business sense. Na we be the first to record film. Iweka Road Onitsha
Alaba business sense wey the rest of the world know as piracy

43 Likes

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by Ritchiee: 11:22pm On Aug 26, 2023
GoodLife4live:

Technology became better with time and more especially,Yorubas like to project their language more than anything.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Started Nollywood, Own It —Aisha Lawal, Actress And Scriptwriter by igwebuike01: 11:24pm On Aug 26, 2023
LagosPrince:

Na Igbo get Nollywood

Yoruba get Nollywood yoruba since they couldn't break into the English version of Nollywood Epic
They don't know the meaning of Nollywood. They think any acting on screen is Nollywood

54 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Cherie Okolisa Tattoos Symply Tacha's Name On Her Breast / Profile Of Hermes, BBNaija Season 7 Housemate / List The Popular Movies You Feel Ashamed To Tell People You Have Never Watched

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.