Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,274 members, 7,829,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? (17133 Views)

I've Just Been Sacked / What Is The Shortest Time You Have Been Employed? / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 11:58pm On Sep 03, 2023
MalaikaEH:
Trustnone,
As an experienced teacher, the following are expected of you:

1. Report to duty on the day of resumption. Some schools may ask teachers to report on Friday prior to Monday resumption day to prepare their notes.

2. When you get there, ask the principal or headteacher for the scheme of work. The scheme of work contains topics to be taught each week.

3. The school will also give you a lesson note. So you should write the lesson plan for each week based on scheme of work for each week.

4. You go to class and teach depending on the time table.

5. You are expected to issue assignment to students after teaching every topic. Make sure you mark assignments , because students won't take you seriously if you overlook marking them.

6. Issue tests based on the school method of doing it. Some schools set first, second and third tests for students every term. Others may give only one test or two.

7. Jot down your examination questions as you write lesson notes on each topic. This will make it easier for you to provide the questions towards the end of the term.

8. After exams, mark the students' scripts and submit the scores to their form teachers. If you are made a form teacher for any of the classes, your work continues until the time you release termly results to your students.

In conclusion, you have nothing to fear. Be inquisitive when you resume at the school. Ask questions. Every school has its own culture and they will be willing to make sure that you follow their culture.
oh my God this is perfectly what I've been looking out for.
God bless you ma'am.
This is so deeply insightful and thanks for using your experience to pass this information across.
From the way you've relayed this, seems this teaching job is gonna be an interesting one

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:02am On Sep 04, 2023
KingLion007:
My broda, have taught two subjects and even more for 25k.buh today oluwa don pick my calls. Naija no easy ooo just keep pushing.
it's a stepping stone boss cool

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:03am On Sep 04, 2023
Munzy14:

Teaching is a noble profession.

When school resume, The principal or VP will provide you with some materials like; Text books, chalk/Maker, and other necessary things including syllabus in accordance to general waec standard, be it Junior or senior.

On your own, you will read alot, meet the class above, and collect notes from some students.

Assignments should be fun..And competitive..If you make it boring , students will find your class unattractive.
boss this is so insightful.
Thanks a lot, seems this teaching job is gonna be an interesting experience from the way you've narrated it
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:06am On Sep 04, 2023
ChengHun:
1. Always dress corporate
2. Give class work and do correction after every class, don't forget to mark.
3. Give assignment after every class mark before next class and do correction at beginning of next class
4.Be firm, don't be too friendly with your students and don't be too harsh
5.prepare before teaching any topic- don't assume you know it.
6.Keep your records up to date- lesson noes, dairy, register etc.
7.Attend classes punctually.
8. Depending on the volume of a topic, don't move to a new topic until you finish the current one. Not necessarily one topic per week. Just ensure you are not wasting time.

wow thanks so much boss for this insights.
I so appreciate brother

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:07am On Sep 04, 2023
Godsonkemz:
What attracted my attention wasn't how you secured the job but the low salary attached to the job and my question which you ought to have considered before accepting the offer was;
How can 40k sustain one in ph where cost of living and rent are on the high side? During the late Buhari's administration when life was easier compared to the current shege, I rejected an offer of 70k in ph because it could not be able to sustain me. How much more now when the economy has gotten worse.
kinda staying with my parents so the bill for feeding and other necessities are covered
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:08am On Sep 04, 2023
icankel:
In as much as there is no job in the country but accepting a job offer of 40k in PH shouldn't motivate u. Am sure u gonna pay for transport buy urself a lunch, conduct lessons after sch period. Well, I wish u the best cos I really enjoyed teaching during NYSC year in Abak, Akwaibom State
kind of staying with my parents, so the bills for rent, feeding and even transportation is covered cos it's trekkable.
I'm actually from the said local government of your ppa though
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:10am On Sep 04, 2023
captaininiobong:
The 40k job I ran away from because it was too stressful is what someone got and his happy over it.
eyeneka jobs no dey oooo.
At least I just dey find something to start with and save to start a business since i dey on mummy thank you levels grin
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 12:11am On Sep 04, 2023
fados4sure:

If you are in Benin, PM me so that I can connect you
And I just left Benin to come job hunt in PH.
mehn life no balance.
Maybe the area where this school of yours pay also matters, like GRA and Airport Road.
Mine was 15k at BDPA (ugbowo area)
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by icankel: 3:22am On Sep 04, 2023
My PPA was at St Mary's Science college Ediene Abak. Meanwhile, is a good start from u ok
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by DKM123: 3:36pm On Dec 02, 2023
TrustNone:
Hello guys, I graduated earlier this year but couldn't serve as I wasn't eligible for NYSC as I was above 30 years of age when I graduated.

Coming back to Port Harcourt, I applied as a Subject Teacher in several schools, went through several interviews and made it, after going through their salary rates, I had to go for the highest bidder which is 40k and I'll be Teaching two subjects..

Now the thing is, I lied heavily that I'm a experienced Teacher during the interview and added imaginary and non existent schools to my CV, what made me scaled through the interview here was that I researched and also went through several threads and noted down all what could possibly be asked and I also obtained lesson notes and lesson plan samples from one lessonnotes moniker, researched, practiced, found a topic and revised and scaled through the micro teaching, the next day I was offered the job.

Now schools would be resuming two weeks from now and I don't need to fumble, guys please any insight on what is expected of me as teacher?

How often should I give assignments?
Where do I get the syllabus and textbooks?
How often should I teach a topic, should it be one week per topic?
Any other thing I need to know?
Your inputs would be so highly welcomed.

See who dey call person jobless and has car. Hahahahahahha. My belle o!!! This Nairaland is hilarious! Hahahaha!!!!

You know I have dealt with you before Victor omerigwe. You wan show yourself again.
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Verbtips(m): 11:19am On Mar 31
You talk as if the sch don't have the scheme of work
during my time my school uses
certificate maths
but then
after teacher meeting and complain from student like me
the school then change it to
general mathematics,even i a student i don't read one text book
so as a teacher to create a lesson try to broad the topics so even a stone headed person will understand

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is 30k Enough For A Fresh Graduate? / 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Slams Lawmakers For Demanding More Slots / How To Decode An Invalid N-power Text Message/sms/email

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.