Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,323 members, 7,829,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? (17134 Views)

I've Just Been Sacked / What Is The Shortest Time You Have Been Employed? / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2023
na2016:

Oboy abeg, go and start preparing your lesson notes and start teaching abeg. lol wink wink
cool
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2023
samsegs:
@OP,,u forgot to tell us the subjects ure given to teach,,with that we can give proper advice...
Computer and Geography embarassed
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
qtx:

Not your fault bro. Hunger no sweet for belle. When you resume scout around the school, look for a humble and experienced teacher , make her your friend, but do not expose the fact that you are inexperience. Once in a while ask her some questions stylishly to get some info and act on them. Make sure she is not the type that gossips. get notes from students, learn online also how to prepare lesson notes. Speak less but listen more and learn quickly. Goodluck.
exactly what I wanted doing, my ex is teaching there so I've already reached out expecting a nice response from her so she'll put me through

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
Emekus92:
Trustnone thank God for nysc I don Get small experience as a school teacher

1st when school resume. U will b provided with the scheme of work for that term. It will contain all the topic to teach. Each week a new topic
10 teaching weeks
1 revision week
2 exam week.

The school should provide u with text book if they have library much better

As for the assignment after 2 weeks or 3 weeks (on Friday)u can give them assignments to submit on Monday. That’s if u have strength to mark their script

Don’t forget u have to give them test every school has their test week. I think test is 2 or 3 times a term.

Ur main problem is lesson plan

Don’t b afraid to ask questions. (I’m new here please tell me how u people do this or that)
thanks so much boss.
I've documented all of these.
God bless you brother
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
phemmyfour:
Teaching is very easy. Don't be dogmatic, choose your style and make sure your students enjoy the class.

Assessment and assignments depends on the kind of feedback you get in class, time and the length of the syllabus .

Prepare for every class, teach yourself and answer every likely questions before meeting your students. Make your class interactive and support your lesson note with teaching aids.
thanks brother.
Please teaching aids, give me insight please
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Ayobeck(m): 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
Ese gan cool
Uwelcm, message me privately with dis WhatsApp nos 08148316840 to tell u more secret things u can even earn apart from ur salary.i mean it
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Billmos: 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2023
Once sch resume once u are assigned subjects and class to teach,get their scheme of work from the Hod n copy. U can get lesson note from edudelight.com or u form ur lesson note from textbooks using scheme of work as a guide.no panic as a graduate u can do it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:37pm On Aug 29, 2023
Youngpo413:
Teach French only, even your proprietor will be more confused than you.
lol this is funny though.
grin

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by pikechukwu6(m): 2:37pm On Aug 29, 2023
continue managing a pair of shoes until one side of the sole chop finishgrin grin grin grin grin
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2023
AmeLonRo:
Dress well. Video record your daily class teachings/lessons on phone. Start a YouTube channel and post all that you record daily.
Thank me later.
wow but why?
Thought before you monetize your YouTube channel you'll need a certain sum of viewers
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
Bfly:

You can't bulid true building on a false foundation

Just keep lying and be doing research to defend it. You won't fail in the short run. Maybe by then you have made enough money to leave or get another job.
grin
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:42pm On Aug 29, 2023
matm:
Be firm and stick to standard.
Teach from known to unknown with examples.3.Be professional in all you do with learners, parents and co-teachers.
4.Be patient with slow learners and see how you can assist them more professionally .
5.Passion is the key and not the pay.The is not worth d effort at all
thank you sir
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:50pm On Aug 29, 2023
fados4sure:

I have been teaching for the past 10 years now and I must say to you, first impression matters a lot

The students will be looking at your composure the very first time you enter their class

As per assignment, if you are teaching mathematics for example, class work are giving after at least four or five examples on a sub topic

You can get the scheme of work from the ministry of education curriculum which be giving to you by the school

The salary is very poor in PH! I take home 80k in Benin
80k as salary or 80k total including lessons?
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Rajosh(m): 2:58pm On Aug 29, 2023
The school is supposed to give you scheme of work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2023
Basseybruce:
Good afternoon bros, at first, I congratulate you on your new appointment, secondly, see ehh, some id*ot that don't even make up to half of that amount will come here and want to toy with ur self esteem... Blaa... Blaa.. Bla. Why did you accept such ridiculous offer, don't mind them, this can be a stepping stone for you...
lol hahaha thanks so much eyeneka mmi
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 3:01pm On Aug 29, 2023
Basseybruce:
as per the experience stuff, don't bother yourself just dress up, look nice and head to your new place of work feeling optimistic... They will be the one to administer class for you, give you textbooks, give you the curriculum for the class and other statutory documents... Be prepared and read ahead of the learners... There's nothing much. Giving you all these from experience. Education Officer from Ekiti State reporting... Thumbs up.
Omo thanks brotherly especially at bolded quotes
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 3:02pm On Aug 29, 2023
Ayobeck:

Uwelcm, message me privately with dis WhatsApp nos to tell u more secret things u can even earn apart from ur salary.i mean it
alright boss sure I will bro
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 3:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
Billmos:
Once sch resume once u are assigned subjects and class to teach,get their scheme of work from the Hod n copy. U can get lesson note from edudelight.com or u form ur lesson note from textbooks using scheme of work as a guide.no panic as a graduate u can do it.
thanks brotherly. God bless bro
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 3:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
pikechukwu6:
continue managing a pair of shoes until one side of the sole chop finishgrin grin grin grin grin
and na trek I go to take care of trek go work ooo
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by phemmyfour: 3:15pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
thanks brother.
Please teaching aids, give me insight please
Visuals are easy to students to remember. Use teaching aids like slides, charts, videos, objects etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by tonididdy(m): 3:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
Hello guys, I graduated earlier this year but couldn't serve as I wasn't eligible for NYSC as I was above 30 years of age when I graduated.

Coming back to Port Harcourt, I applied as a Subject Teacher in several schools, went through several interviews and made it, after going through their salary rates, I had to go for the highest bidder which is 40k and I'll be Teaching two subjects..

Now the thing is, I lied heavily that I'm a experienced Teacher during the interview and added imaginary and non existent schools to my CV, what made me scaled through the interview here was that I researched and also went through several threads and noted down all what could possibly be asked and I also obtained lesson notes and lesson plan samples from one lessonnotes moniker, researched, practiced, found a topic and revised and scaled through the micro teaching, the next day I was offered the job.

Now schools would be resuming two weeks from now and I don't need to fumble, guys please any insight on what is expected of me as teacher?

How often should I give assignments?
Where do I get the syllabus and textbooks?
How often should I teach a topic, should it be one week per topic?
Any other thing I need to know?
Your inputs would be so highly welcomed.

Hmmm… where do I start from? 🤔

Ok I’ll take your questions instead:

1: assignments are usually at the end of a particular topic.

2. Syllables and textbooks should be provided by the school, it’s from this you form your lesson note.

3. A topic duration depends on how lengthy the topic is, for example you can’t teach “reproduction” in a day or even two because it entails two parts, the mail e and female.
So each topic should be detailed in your lesson note according to duration of each daily class ( max 45mins otherwise it becomes boring) and a topic can last a week since you only get to teach most subjects 3 or 4 times a week unlike English and mathematics that is daily.

4. Other things you should know; be playful with kids but apply wisdom esp with the females. Avoid anger that can cause you to harm a child.
When teaching try as much as possible to familiarize it with their daily life. Eg if I want to teach “hygiene” as a topic, I have to create a picture of their household and how some of them act at home, when they laff and can relate, you know they are learning.

Any other thing be free to mention me.

PS: I was an English/ computer studies teacher for 10 to 12 years ( I’m in my early 30s now) before I left Nigeria.
As a teacher without studying anything close to EDUCATION parents always complimented my teaching techniques.
No exaggeration but several parents said “my name was stuck on their kids lips even back home after school”, some mentioned me in their sleep, I was popularly called uncle Toni.
EVERYONE SAID I HAD A GIFT WITH KIDS.

In summary: leave an impact!

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Dracula123: 3:29pm On Aug 29, 2023
Whatsapp me and I'll guide you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by OKUCHI11(m): 3:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
Hello guys, I graduated earlier this year but couldn't serve as I wasn't eligible for NYSC as I was above 30 years of age when I graduated.

Coming back to Port Harcourt, I applied as a Subject Teacher in several schools, went through several interviews and made it, after going through their salary rates, I had to go for the highest bidder which is 40k and I'll be Teaching two subjects..

Now the thing is, I lied heavily that I'm a experienced Teacher during the interview and added imaginary and non existent schools to my CV, what made me scaled through the interview here was that I researched and also went through several threads and noted down all what could possibly be asked and I also obtained lesson notes and lesson plan samples from one lessonnotes moniker, researched, practiced, found a topic and revised and scaled through the micro teaching, the next day I was offered the job.

Now schools would be resuming two weeks from now and I don't need to fumble, guys please any insight on what is expected of me as teacher?

any topic you can't teach check YouTube

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Realist777: 3:39pm On Aug 29, 2023
[/quote]
OP, if the school is standard, they should have the national curricula for all subjects in both junior and senior classes. They should also have weekly diaries where the plans of action for each term are segmented into weekly topics and subtopics for all subjects.

Even if you had told them that you are an experienced teacher in the course of the interview, you have not taught in their school before so they should not expect you to hit the ground running without putting you on their academic track.

Meet the teachers that were taking the subjects you are about to take to give you a headstart I.e know where they stop and where to continue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by BALLOSKI: 3:52pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:

Every school has syllabus given to them from the ministry of education or so, what to do in every week of the session is stated there. You have to check it and prepare ahead.
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Omameji: 3:55pm On Aug 29, 2023
Thattallgirl:
40k? Two subjects? I pray for better opportunities for you.
is own is even better I could recall vividly one school that I taught 40k 5 subjects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by AnI77: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2023
Then teach!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Omameji: 4:00pm On Aug 29, 2023
Calm down guy... Nothing big in teaching, just know how to handle your subjects allocated to you. Prepare very well before entering classes.Also learn how to maintain eye contact with your students in order to impact good knowledge. Yours is even better then I was collecting 40k for 5 subjects. They want to kill me I run commot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by akezn: 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
Except you are new to teaching, there is really nothing to fret about. All you need to do now is to deliver in class, and that you can do by preparing very well for each class. Even as a new teacher you can start well from day one by showing mastery of your subject. As far as lesson note and lesson plan is concerned, we learn everyday.
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by BennyDGreat: 4:09pm On Aug 29, 2023
Karleb:

Let me make it clearer, teaching is the most useless professional job in Nigeria, not because it's bad but because it's not rewarding.

Teaching in the private sector is even worse.

I don't hate teachers, I come from the lineage of teachers but their lives could have been better if they chose a better profession.

Teachers in international schools can't relate with what you wrote. Some earn as much as 1k USD a month from Nigeria bro
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by dilicond: 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
Keep researching, you will find the solution to everything. But next time, try not to lie when applying for a job because it might come back to haunt you someday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by KarinaSlim(f): 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2023
Swagk101:

Can you give him a better paying job? If no is your answer, then keep quiet.

If he can reach out, I will not just give him a job.

Infact, I will put you and him on my monthly payroll.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is 30k Enough For A Fresh Graduate? / 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Slams Lawmakers For Demanding More Slots / How To Decode An Invalid N-power Text Message/sms/email

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.