Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,486 members, 7,830,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? (17157 Views)

I've Just Been Sacked / What Is The Shortest Time You Have Been Employed? / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by KarinaSlim(f): 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2023
Swagk101:

Can you give him a better paying job? If no is your answer, then keep quiet.

If he can reach out, I will not just give him a job.

Infact, I will put you and him on my monthly payroll.
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by mrksquare: 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
Hello guys, I graduated earlier this year but couldn't serve as I wasn't eligible for NYSC as I was above 30 years of age when I graduated.

Coming back to Port Harcourt, I applied as a Subject Teacher in several schools, went through several interviews and made it, after going through their salary rates, I had to go for the highest bidder which is 40k and I'll be Teaching two subjects..

Now the thing is, I lied heavily that I'm a experienced Teacher during the interview and added imaginary and non existent schools to my CV, what made me scaled through the interview here was that I researched and also went through several threads and noted down all what could possibly be asked and I also obtained lesson notes and lesson plan samples from one lessonnotes moniker, researched, practiced, found a topic and revised and scaled through the micro teaching, the next day I was offered the job.

Now schools would be resuming two weeks from now and I don't need to fumble, guys please any insight on what is expected of me as teacher?

How often should I give assignments?
Where do I get the syllabus and textbooks?
How often should I teach a topic, should it be one week per topic?
Any other thing I need to know?
Your inputs would be so highly welcomed.

At the end of every class always ensure you give them assignment.

Also, always assess the students by asking them questions based on what you have taught them at the end of the lesson.

As for the scheme of work, it is online. Just do a Google search. The good thing is that the scheme of work is broken down into the various weeks in a term.

But of course, when arranging it on your note always ensure it is based on the time duration that was allocated to you for the week.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Malawian(m): 4:52pm On Aug 29, 2023
teach
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Emekus92(m): 5:06pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
thanks so much boss.
I've documented all of these.
God bless you brother
Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Jewessgratitud3: 5:12pm On Aug 29, 2023
You don't need to worry.
The school will provide you with a scheme of work and the text books or instructional materials you need to plan and work with.

What you need to learn from colleagues or a pro outside your school is how to plan your lesson note on any topic. Once you know how to do that, it will make the work easier for you. Then follow the schools timetable to know what subject comes up in first, second and third periods and flow with it. Each period normally lasts 40mins.
From introduction of topic to question and answer session, then finally classwork or assignment to be given to them.

Also observe other teachers the way they go about theirs and learn.

Make sure your lesson note is complete and ready. Anyways your head teacher will let you know about that because you'll be required to submit it at a given time. Don't worry, you'll get by.

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by ayula44(m): 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:

Computer and Geography
Ok then, what you need to do is to prepare your lesson plans. By now I hope you know your scheme of work. You ll need to fill it in the diary in school.
Your lesson plans will guide you on everything you ll do in class including time management.
You are free to ask further questions. God bless you
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Swagk101(m): 5:17pm On Aug 29, 2023
KarinaSlim:

Lol...sorry you can't pay what I earn in an hour, abeg rest. grin
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by ayula44(m): 5:18pm On Aug 29, 2023
KarinaSlim:

Not everyone is enjoying/enduring same situations. It takes a lot for a person to come forward and ask for help let alone publicly - on nairaland.
I don't think up to 30 percent o teachers are happy teaching in Nigeria.
Hence, rather than make fun of the issue, you can reach out if you genuinely have something better to offer.

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Lovelydaisies: 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2023
I must first condemn your lying to get in.

But as a teacher myself, I'll add some ideas.

- Ask for a leason note from the former teacher or start to write them now you are on holidays.

- Prepare to wake up early and be in school on time, since it's a private school.

- They might want to take advantage of you, na dia way. From two, it'll become three, without extra pay.

- You can ask for a code of conduct from them now or upon resumption.

- Ask your new colleagues how things are done there or who's who.

- Submit materials required of you on time and carry out tasks swiftly. You don't want to be seen as new and inefficient. Still, don't overdo. Dem go carry work kill you.

- Avoid gossips and bad company, especially gossips. Some are in relations with the principal or high powers and may relate to them whatever you say that's not in their favour.

- Eventually, you will learn on the job and build your own persona. Just don't allow anybody - staff or student - belittle you. Stand your ground.

- Good luck!

3 Likes

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:33pm On Aug 29, 2023
I wish u d best bro
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by PINKYandBRAIN: 6:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
PINKY: Brain, Come See Question ooo?

BRAIN: Wonders Shall Never End in This Zoo Nation. grin
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by donMIG(m): 6:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
Lesson plan shits
But as a sharp guy...just meet one of the guy dia n ask them to put u Tru
The hard part na to get work the rest na play
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Thattallgirl(f): 6:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
Omameji:
is own is even better I could recall vividly one school that I taught 40k 5 subjects.
embarassed
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Godmind2022(m): 6:10pm On Aug 29, 2023
jackmrandy:

ask for past note. once school resume, look for the best student in that school, that is a class above the one you will be teaching and collect his or note or get in touch with the principal and collect their old lesson note. And all in all , read to get your self equipped in that subject area that you will be teaching in.

Including asking other teachers for help, then ask God to forgive you and go and sin no more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Bukola94: 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2023
pcagbaji:

So on top 40k you day happy
Una day try
what of we who were paid 20k and 30k for taking 3classes nko? Everything starts from something, I pray he get a better offer in the next year or two.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Bukola94: 6:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
MrDoGood:
40k for two subjects?

The pay won't motivate you
before u see 25k to 30k teaching job here, is like traveling from Lagos to Jos. Over 500 people go apply for 10slots of teaching job. Others private school pay 15k to 18k. U hardly see 10school that pay 40k
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Faithy04: 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2023
1. Timetable will decide how often you teach your subjects, school should provide that.

2. Syllabus and books for lesson plan/biros/chalk/textbooks for the lesson plan planning should be given my VP admin or whoever is in charge of it.

3. Classwork and assignment once per week (make sure to mark and record these)
4. Be confident in yourself and be ready to take corrections from the high people and even some of your colleagues
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by pcagbaji(m): 6:38pm On Aug 29, 2023
Bukola94:
what of we who were paid 20k and 30k for taking 3classes nko? Everything starts from something, I pray he get a better offer in the next year or two.
Though it's small maybe side hustle will be included
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by NaijaCover(m): 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
Hello guys, I graduated earlier this year but couldn't serve as I wasn't eligible for NYSC as I was above 30 years of age when I graduated.

Coming back to Port Harcourt, I applied as a Subject Teacher in several schools, went through several interviews and made it, after going through their salary rates, I had to go for the highest bidder which is 40k and I'll be Teaching two subjects..

Now the thing is, I lied heavily that I'm a experienced Teacher during the interview and added imaginary and non existent schools to my CV, what made me scaled through the interview here was that I researched and also went through several threads and noted down all what could possibly be asked and I also obtained lesson notes and lesson plan samples from one lessonnotes moniker, researched, practiced, found a topic and revised and scaled through the micro teaching, the next day I was offered the job.

Now schools would be resuming two weeks from now and I don't need to fumble, guys please any insight on what is expected of me as teacher?

How often should I give assignments?
Where do I get the syllabus and textbooks?
How often should I teach a topic, should it be one week per topic?
Any other thing I need to know?
Your inputs would be so highly welcomed.

Studied Educational Management And Policy
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by youngtee5(m): 8:01pm On Aug 29, 2023
[quote author=Dracula123 post=125441361]Whatsapp me and I'll guide you
09078537883[/quot😏
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Clinghton: 8:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
I don't think if you would last.

Goodluck
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by youngtee5(m): 8:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
Bukola94:
before u see 25k to 30k teaching job here, is like traveling from Lagos to Jos. Over 500 people go apply for 10slots of teaching job. Others private school pay 15k to 18k. U hardly see 10school that pay 40k
It all depends on location ur experience and how u package yourself. We have private schools that pay 150- 200k per month in Nigeria. Lagos. Ogun Abeokuta. Have the courage to apply to international schools don’t limit yourself to local schools.
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone:
80k as salary or 80k total including lessons?

They don't do extra lesson in Benin. Closing time is 3:00pm
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Antai123(m): 8:38pm On Aug 29, 2023
TEACH! TEACH!! AND TEACH!!!

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by WesternPanzer: 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2023
TrustNone, head to chat gpt and all your answers are there.

Use openai chatgpt free version. Google this.

Simply type "how to prepare a lesson note on animal reproductive system". This is just an example. You can still use other questions. You will see the magic.

Whatever results you get, develop it by asking further questions one by one on the answers provided. Thanks.

Also use YouTube and see what other teachers in Nigeria are doing.

Thank me later. Good luck.
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by MrDoGood(m): 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2023
Bukola94:

Hmmmm

Relocate

I know it's not easy

But please try
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Bukola94: 9:02pm On Aug 29, 2023
youngtee5:

It all depends on location ur experience and how u package yourself. We have private schools that pay 150- 200k per month in Nigeria. Lagos. Ogun Abeokuta. Have the courage to apply to international schools don’t limit yourself to local schools.
To God be the glory, I am working for FG now. Private schools need to up their salaries. They are about profits making

1 Like

Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by soccerlite: 9:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
Your matter get K - leg

Lying to get teaching job of 40k

You better go learn a vocation
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by Bukola94: 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2023
pcagbaji:

Though it's small maybe side hustle will be included
he may not have the time for side hustle. U forgot that school is 8AM to 5pm in most of the schools
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by youngtee5(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2023
Bukola94:
To God be the glory, I am working for FG now. Private schools need to up their salaries. They are about profits making
Oya OG show me way
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by TrustNone: 9:51pm On Aug 29, 2023
fados4sure:

They don't do extra lesson in Benin. Closing time is 3:00pm
but I was in Benin City looking for a job but all I could get was a 15k teaching job embarassed
Re: I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? by kareemkamil(m): 9:55pm On Aug 29, 2023
Broz abeg, just have ur target. Teacher for Nigeria. No be work oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dear Job Seeker, Don't Think Yourself Into Depression / This Company Keeps Sending Regret Messages To All My Application. / Edo Jobs: Edo State Government To Recruit Unemployed Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.