Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,525 members, 7,812,637 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. (79218 Views)

Japa: I Need Assistance On My Planned Relocation To Denmark / JAPA: I Used To Enjoy A Comfortable Life Back Home - Man Laments In UK (video) / JAPA: I Want To Leave Nigeria To New Zealand Or UK (advice Needed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by olril17(m): 11:03pm On Sep 02, 2023
franchasofficia:
My candid advice to all Nigerians, especially the married men above 48yrs earning above 1million Naira in Nigeria in secured job or business is this:

If you are a Nigerian man living in Nigeria and earning above 1million monthly, and you are married and above 48yrs, please forget about relocating permanently abroad, it's a very bad move.

Plan your life well in Nigeria, invest wisely in real estate (secured lands mostly) and open trust accounts for your kids.

Plan for your kids to do their masters abroad if you couldn't afford sending them for undergraduate when they get to university education age.

Abandoning all you have worked for years to relocate abroad to start all over again at 48yrs above in an odd job or low paid career is not a good move. Forget all the nonsense talks of doing it for your kids, you should enjoy your own life too cos those kids may end up not remembering you nor Nigeria after you make all the sacrifice of moving them abroad at early age, what then becomes of you at old age?

Forget all these worries we have in Nigeria, a child that will excel will excel, it is our destiny that matters most, environment play second role.

Yes developed countries offer good opportunities for our kids to succeed, but it also makes it easier for your kids to forget you and forget their Nigerian root as they grow older abroad.

Make una de think this thing well oh, Japa is best for single guys below 30yrs and at worst those below 45yrs and those struggling financially in Nigeria with no visible change in sight.

Nigerians love jumping into every bandwagon without thinking it through.

Cryptocurrency trading came every Nigerian became a cryptocurrency trader.

All those HYIPs aka Ponzi came every Nigerian became an investor investing millions to triple their income overnight.

Yahoo came every Nigerian boy and girl automatically became Yahoo boys and girls.

POS business came, every Nigerian turned to POS business owner.

Mini importation came, every Nigerian turned to Mini Importer.

Skit making came, every Nigerian turned to Skit Maker and Content Creator overnight.

Linda Ikeji made money in Blogging, every Nigerian turned to Blogger wanting to hammer like Linda.

There was a time every Nigerian almost turned to kidnappers kidnapping even their own siblings.

Qatar opened door, every Nigerian wan Japa to Qatar without plans.

UAE opened door every Nigerian wanted to Japa to Dubai.

UK the same.

My people make una de use una brain small oh
God bless you sir
The comments are shocking and horrendous.
A 48 year old man should abandon certainty to Jump to an uncertain life. It’s like committing sucide.
An Accountant at 48 should go and learn forklifting or settle for care jobs.
The absolute state of these comments. Do they really think life anywhere is really that easy?
We are too gullible in this country.
The man will regret making such move for the rest of his life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by bomsilaga(m): 11:20pm On Sep 02, 2023
bejick:

I was a Piping Engineer in the Oil and Gas industry earning better 7 digit, Omo as a cleaner here I earn more than the Oyel and gas money oo grin grin grin. If God come help me now get same Oyel and gas work for this side oboy my balling no go be here. Abeg stay back for Nigeria to do what If you stay complete one year for better abroad come go back Nigeria you will see how chaotic Nigeria is. Omo no go fit stay again.
I tell you bros. The sanity is too deafening and when we say we miss Nigeria, apart from family and friends, truth be told na chaos we miss.
Honestly, the reasoning is valid, I encourage myself that imagine with blue collar jobs, one can do well small, how much more a professional job with some level of security.
However, after buying houses and all that, if you decide to remain na retirement homes go chop all the years of your hustle abroad
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by bomsilaga(m): 11:24pm On Sep 02, 2023
olril17:

God bless you sir
A 48 year old man should abandon certainty to Jump to an uncertain life. It’s like committing sucide.
The absolute state of these comments. Do they really think life anywhere is really that easy?
I doubt if anyone here said life is easy elsewhere, we are only here because someone asked and comments here affirming the move are obviously coming from the situation of our country.
Doing these jobs don't mean you are doing them forever and depending on your occupation, you might just get into your professional job within days or even sponsored.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Acidosis(m): 11:40pm On Sep 02, 2023
obaidan:

Will his his 1 month salary really conveniently cover his annual rent, If he lives in Lagos or Abuja. I agree with you that 1.1m a month is a great pay in Nigeria but the problem is that the world is becoming so interconnected that the man will still need to make spending in the international market. If he doesn't have to buy clothes and the rest, at least he will send his kids to school abroad at some point, if he wants them to be competitive for opportunities on the international stage. If he has a child attending a university abroad, he will need about 25%(more in most cases) of his 1.1m salary to pay for that child's accommodation in school every month. If he intends to visit his child in school, he will buy ticket with almost his 2months salary. We have not talked about tuition and general upkeep. Very Cheap schools cost around 12k USD per semester, that is already close to the man's annual salary, there are 2 semesters in a year. If u say weytin do unilag or OAU or covenant, I will now ask u, which kind opportunities u dey hope say make the child fit explore after school.

Are you saying that parents in Western countries are able to afford these things? Why do students abroad owe school fees? Are you also aware that, while the UK was increasing fees for international students, UK/EU students had their fees reduced? Every Nigerian student you see in the UK pay more than the average UK citizen. Yet these people still find themselves in debt.

Nothing is easy anywhere. I agree that the world has become a global environment but that's actually an advantage to people who want to stay back. I'm sure you're aware that some Nigerians now earn $$$ from Gbagada and Mowe. More so, the idea of education is fast changing.

We are in an era where Elon Musk will pay you $8000 for creating a s**upid content on Twitter.

Some children will grow up wondering why we box them into the 6-3-3-4 thing. As much as we desire the best for them and want to use them to achieve the dreams we couldn't achieve, we should be mindful, so we don't make the same mistakes our fathers made.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by bomsilaga(m): 12:29am On Sep 03, 2023
Acidosis:

Are you saying that parents in Western countries are able to afford these things? Why do students abroad owe school fees? Are you also aware that, while the UK was increasing fees for international students, UK/EU students had their fees reduced? Every Nigerian student you see in the UK pay more than the average UK citizen. Yet these people still find themselves in debt.

Nothing is easy anywhere. I agree that the world has become a global environment but that's actually an advantage to people who want to stay back. I'm sure you're aware that some Nigerians now earn $$$ from Gbagada and Mowe. More so, the idea of education is fast changing.

We are in an era where Elon Musk will pay you $8000 for creating a s**upid content on Twitter.

Some children will grow up wondering why we box them into the 6-3-3-4 thing. As much as we desire the best for them and want to use them to achieve the dreams we couldn't achieve, we should be mindful, so we don't make the same mistakes our fathers made.
Well spoken and I want to add that it really doesn't make common sense that everyone must travel abroad. Persons that have discovered a niche in Nigeria either legally or legally should just stay back and hold fort. Certain professions cannot feed let alone allow investment for the professional. And just so you know, if you are a lizard in Nigeria, abroad cannot automatically make you a crocodile.
That said, I also like to present migration as an investment in itself with dividends not necessarily in physical cash.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by obaidan: 12:56am On Sep 03, 2023
Acidosis:

I get what ýou are saying, i agree with you on a lot of things u said. I am not familiar with what happens in the UK. I am aware of what happens in the US. You are correct, the fees of citizens is far lesser than those of internationals. They also don't have restrictions on the number hours they can work. As a matter of fact, a lot of them earn much more than their semester tuition in the 4 months that make up a semester and top companies literally come to invite them for very well paid internship leaving behind internationals with better grades. A lot of them still on sport scholarship, all manner of funny scholarships at least in the US, yet they accumulate so much debt...I have realized that it is just a consequence of the lives they choose to live. A lot of them start with scholarships but fail and have low GPAs and those scholarship are dropped, so they are left with accumulating federal student loans which they can keep accumulating. When federal loan is paid to school, some of them drop some courses(which they registered initially and used to get federal loan paid to school) and that refund goes into their student account which they then cash out to enjoy life. I domt know if that is peculiar to some schools that i know or its like that in all schools across the US. The truth is that a lot of them will just shout student loan is killing me, please tell them to account for how the loan was used, you will start hearing nigbati. You earn 2k a month as a student, ur semester tuition isn't more than 6k which will still be reduced with side scholarships....how are you accumulating loans that will kill you. Some of them celebrate convocation with testimonies of graduating with zero debt or something very little, majority of the ones graduating with so much debt made their choices. It's not easy for real but if the right choices are made, it's not terrible, it's just growing up to be responsible early in life.

You are right, young people are taking advantage of tech, remote jobs and earning USD from ikorodu, but then don't forget not every discipline can operate remotely. Tech is just a small percentage of the entire bunch. A lot of middle aged people want their kids to do sports, it can't be done from gbagada or more, they are better off on ground. Medicine is better off on ground. Many more like that.

Yes content creation is the new money but what if my child has his talent in something else. I think the reason people say they are relocating abroad is so that when a child says daddy I want to be become this, there shouldn't be any reason why a parent should feel, will that be possible? Kids in Nigeria will tell their parents they want to become astronaut or pilot, parents will be like, oya say another one.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by damzy88: 1:27am On Sep 03, 2023
EduTechTainMent:
When it comes to jaapa-ing, Nigerians suddenly become motivational speakers, and become overly optimistic and sentimental.

What many fail to realise is that fingers are not equal and destinies differ. What worked for taiye may not work for kehinde.

What many also fail to understand is that having money is not the absolute solution to all the problems of life and doesn't guarantee happiness. We all have what makes us tick. Not all millionaires are happy. Happiness and richness comes from contentment of mind. That should not stop one from aspiring and striving to work towards the best

People are quick to recommend asking someone to start from the bottom of the ladder forgetting to factor in the mental stress and feeling of failure/depression that may result from that. Not everyone can withstand such. Not everyone can survive that. During such periods, the family you all based your actions on may eventually be lost due ones temperament.

There aren't any guarantees in life. Not everyone will make it in Nigeria and definitely not everyone will make it abroad. Globally it's all about huzzling and jama jama. Till death comes knocking, man shall continue huzzling. Everybody dey hussle to make ends meet. Even the natural borns abroad.

Yes, as a family man, your family and kids are a top priority. Abroad doesn't automatically guarantee your kids will be successful in life. It also depends on what yardstick we use to measure our success or failure.

Bringing up your kids in Nigeria also doesn't guarantee your kids won't be successful in life. Many of those clamoring for jaapa were born and bred in Nigeria, and yet you can say they have a relatively comfortable life.

Money is important, very important Infact, but it isn't everything. Those who are pro jaapa are quick to point out the opportunities the kids will get by virtue of staying abroad. What about the inherent risks? LGBTQ, mental health challenges, peer pressure, loss of sense of family and heritage, etc. All these risks are also present in Nigeria but at varying degrees. So one has to be thorough in analysing the pros and cons of his/her japaa and most importantly do not be pressured into following the popular bandwagon effect- many are japaaing, let me do same.

There comes a time in a man's life when all he needs is stability - to grow, enjoy life, enjoy the fruits of his labour and dedicate his time to family. For how many decades will a man continue chasing the world. Personally I believe OP has gotten to that stage in his life where stability matters a lot and not uncertainties. What most people will want the OP to do is spend 2/3 of his life chasing winkthe ;Dworld. When manpikin wan rest.

I can understand the Ops dilemma. All I would advice is take your time and read through all the advises gotten from this thread both from the pro japaa and anti japaa gangs. There is lots of wisdom in what has been shared on here by both parties. Then ultimately seek divine guidance and take the leap hoping for the very best. Whatever you do though, have a positive and growth mindset and do not regret your decision. I wish you and your family the very best.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by damzy88: 1:31am On Sep 03, 2023
EduTechTainMent:
When it comes to jaapa-ing, Nigerians suddenly become motivational speakers, and become overly optimistic and sentimental.

What many fail to realise is that fingers are not equal and destinies differ. What worked for taiye may not work for kehinde.

What many also fail to understand is that having money is not the absolute solution to all the problems of life and doesn't guarantee happiness. We all have what makes us tick. Not all millionaires are happy. Happiness and richness comes from contentment of mind. That should not stop one from aspiring and striving to work towards the best

People are quick to recommend asking someone to start from the bottom of the ladder forgetting to factor in the mental stress and feeling of failure/depression that may result from that. Not everyone can withstand such. Not everyone can survive that. During such periods, the family you all based your actions on may eventually be lost due ones temperament.

There aren't any guarantees in life. Not everyone will make it in Nigeria and definitely not everyone will make it abroad. Globally it's all about huzzling and jama jama. Till death comes knocking, man shall continue huzzling. Everybody dey hussle to make ends meet. Even the natural borns abroad.

Yes, as a family man, your family and kids are a top priority. Abroad doesn't automatically guarantee your kids will be successful in life. It also depends on what yardstick we use to measure our success or failure.

Bringing up your kids in Nigeria also doesn't guarantee your kids won't be successful in life. Many of those clamoring for jaapa were born and bred in Nigeria, and yet you can say they have a relatively comfortable life.

Money is important, very important Infact, but it isn't everything. Those who are pro jaapa are quick to point out the opportunities the kids will get by virtue of staying abroad. What about the inherent risks? LGBTQ, mental health challenges, peer pressure, loss of sense of family and heritage, etc. All these risks are also present in Nigeria but at varying degrees. So one has to be thorough in analysing the pros and cons of his/her japaa and most importantly do not be pressured into following the popular bandwagon effect- many are japaaing, let me do same.

There comes a time in a man's life when all he needs is stability - to grow, enjoy life, enjoy the fruits of his labour and dedicate his time to family. For how many decades will a man continue chasing the world. Personally I believe OP has gotten to that stage in his life where stability matters a lot and not uncertainties. What most people will want the OP to do is spend 2/3 of his life chasing smiley the world. When manpikin wan rest.

I can understand the Ops dilemma. All I would advice is take your time and read through all the advises gotten from this thread both from the pro japaa and anti japaa gangs. There is lots of wisdom in what has been shared on here by both parties. Then ultimately seek divine guidance and take the leap hoping for the very best. Whatever you do though, have a positive and growth mindset and do not regret your decision. I wish you and your family the very best.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Cromagnon: 1:49am On Sep 03, 2023
Usefulsense:

I earn a little less than, N1.1m monthly net.
I am a qualified accountant.

But you see, working for a private company in Nigeria, not easy bro.
Omo guy
Unless you ready to humble yourself for your children's citizenship sake, 1.1 is good money in Nigeria o. Everywhere has it's ups and downs
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by klawaaa: 3:02am On Sep 03, 2023
Hmmm... This move is dicey! Pray wella and also have a backup plan. Driving forklift would be more physical for you considering your age. I would suggest you lean on high demand tech skill related to finance. Tech skills like business / financial analytics. I have met Aussie in the states that left Australia to marry in Yankee. He complained of high cost of living and how Australia has lesser opportunities compare to the states, reason for his relocation to the states. Shalom!
Usefulsense:

I earn a little less than, N1.1m monthly net.
I am a qualified accountant.

But you see, working for a private company in Nigeria, not easy bro.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Gerrard59(m): 3:26am On Sep 03, 2023
Smartguyboy:

Even with they citizenship they will still live the rest of they life paying student loan 💵 while parents who can afford it they kids won’t have to pay any student loan.

Many Nigerian parents in Nigeria cannot afford American tuition fees except through scholarships, which second-generation Nigerian-Americans have access to many right from a young age. There are too many stories of such people getting at least 6-8 scholarships to study at top schools. Most importantly, even with the loans, they have the right to work in the US, unlike someone with just a Nigerian passport who has to battle the H1B visa lottery.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by yemmie(m): 4:19am On Sep 03, 2023
@ poster .. Don't abandon your good life at 48 to Australia.
Shuttle between Australia and Lagos
Don't ever sell your house or investment to relocate at this age .. it is like committing suicide

Australia employers pays superannuation 11% per your base income. You can't access that money till you are 65 years, they want to pass a law to move to 70 years.

To live a comfortable life ( not luxury life) in Australia in Perth, you need $5000 monthly to pay mortgage and other bills. A gross salary of $180k Australia is $10,340 monthly.. only 10% of Australia professional working class earn that much.

$ A 200k - $ A 250k gross annual only 5% of professional work force earn that ..above $A250k only 1% of the work force earn that.

Tax bracket change to 45% above $A180k

Median house price for 4 bedroom house is A$650k now to purchase mortgage loan .. you deposit 20% to avoid LMI

So look at your future and think about retirement plans .. your kids have the time but not you

By 50 years of age - Nigerian with dual citizens in Australia / Canada /America should be planning of retirement ...go enjoy life with fresh palm wine, correct ponded yam in mortal -- with your childhood friends back at home in your palace ( a king in your domain) .. otherwise setting up yourself to work like clock forever

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Babaelemu: 4:23am On Sep 03, 2023
Omo at 48 with lucrative job you won leave am go start afresh for foreign land... in 12 years time you'll be 60 years as a migrant with that age there's little you can do! You should be working towards retirement and not for employment. He sure for me say when you hit 60 years for abroad niger go dey hungry you na that time you go dey see life from another angle.
juman:
Don't leave your lucrative job and face uncertainty in foreign land.

Making money is really really tough in abroad.

You will cry if you travel abroad for your grave mistake.

Mostly travel abroad is for sapa people.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by juman(m): 5:57am On Sep 03, 2023
Babaelemu:
Omo at 48 with lucrative job you won leave am go start afresh for foreign land... in 12 years time you'll be 60 years as a migrant with that age there's little you can do! You should be working towards retirement and not for employment. He sure for me say when you hit 60 years for abroad niger go dey hungry you na that time you go dey see life from another angle.

You are right.
He should not throw away his grace, success and happiness to embrace defeat, failure and sadness.

Over a million naira job is big job most people in abroad would jump onto to grab if they have the chance.

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by emmaodet: 6:11am On Sep 03, 2023
Acidosis:

Gbam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EduTechTainMent: 6:20am On Sep 03, 2023
yemmie:
@ poster .. Don't abandon your good life at 48 to Australia.
Shuttle between Australia and Lagos
Don't ever sell your house or investment to relocate at this age .. it is like committing suicide

Australia employers pays superannuation 11% per your base income. You can't access that money till you are 65 years, they want to pass a law to move to 70 years.

To live a comfortable life ( not luxury life) in Australia in Perth, you need $5000 monthly to pay mortgage and other bills. A gross salary of $180k Australia is $10,340 monthly.. only 10% of Australia professional working class earn that much.

$ A 200k - $ A 250k gross annual only 5% of professional work force earn that ..above $A250k only 1% of the work force earn that.

Tax bracket change to 45% above $A180k

Median house price for 4 bedroom house is A$650k now to purchase mortgage loan .. you deposit 20% to avoid LMI

So look at your future and think about retirement plans .. your kids have the time but not you

By 50 years of age - Nigerian with dual citizens in Australia / Canada /America should be planning of retirement ...go enjoy life with fresh palm wine, correct ponded yam in mortal -- with your childhood friends back at home in your palace ( a king in your domain) .. otherwise setting up yourself to work like clock forever

Many of the japaa gang are actually not considering the fact that productivity decreases with age. It's a natural process that can only be delayed but not totally avoided depending on ones state of health and access to quality healthcare. As the OP ages, he begins to discover he will get tired easily and his bones aren't as strong as they used to be. Physical demanding jobs may not be suitable.

Some opined that his current job for a private firm is no guarantee and there is the risk of being sacked. Yes I agree. But all this downsizing and capitalism was copied from the west. A lot of firms, agencies and corporations in the west downsize without any consideration for the affected as well. Infact I dare say they do this more. Shey recently twitter no do shege for their staff ni. My point is people are at risk of loosing their jobs everyday and every year. It's not peculiar to only Nigeria.

We can not claim to know rome more than the Romans themselves. Many seem to live in an utopia. A visit to quora online forum will reveal how hard it is and how desperate people are trying to make ends meet even abroad. Many are still struggling to pay up students loans. Many are contemplating a change to another environment from their counties. These are naturals who citizens by right.

At a certain age in life , one needs to critical appraise his needs. We cannot work our entire lives. People chase the world for their kids as they claim and the kids may end up being lost. The western society is great, yes, but it comes at a cost. The society is designed to even make many live an average life. No be everybody go become bill gates or Elon must because they are opportune to be in Yankee. Raising up kids is a very delicate venture in this modern age, both in 9ja and any other country, more so now that the world has become a global village. The western world makes this risk more pronounced.

Me sha i wish everyone the very best in what ever they decide to do. May we all succeed and thrive, irrespective of our location and age limitations.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EduTechTainMent: 6:30am On Sep 03, 2023
obaidan:

Will his his 1 month salary really conveniently cover his annual rent, If he lives in Lagos or Abuja. I agree with you that 1.1m a month is a great pay in Nigeria but the problem is that the world is becoming so interconnected that the man will still need to make spending in the international market. If he doesn't have to buy clothes and the rest, at least he will send his kids to school abroad at some point, if he wants them to be competitive for opportunities on the international stage. If he has a child attending a university abroad, he will need about 25%(more in most cases) of his 1.1m salary to pay for that child's accommodation in school every month. If he intends to visit his child in school, he will buy ticket with almost his 2months salary. We have not talked about tuition and general upkeep. Very Cheap schools cost around 12k USD per semester, that is already close to the man's annual salary, there are 2 semesters in a year. If u say weytin do unilag or OAU or covenant, I will now ask u, which kind opportunities u dey hope say make the child fit explore after school.

Are you implying students who attend OAU or covenant have limitations in job opportunities or how they get to explore life after school?

Education is not meant to cage you or limit your thinking. Rather education is meant to make you think out of the box. A child who not is brought up to critically think and explore the world of opportunities around him will be limited wherever he/she goes.

Not every child that schooled abroad is intellectually better than 9ja schooled kids. There is also the issue of innate intelligence. I agree the western world may better mould the education but that education may also push the child to the brink of destruction.

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Ojey1234: 6:33am On Sep 03, 2023
Usefulsense:
This is my story. Please advice.

I sent my wife to Australia in 2021 on student visa.

She has invited us, myself and our children aged 12 and 9 and our visa is out. I have also paid like 6 months fees for my children school which was a requirement for the visa.

Owing to her performance at her work place, the company she works for has promised to sponsor for PR. Infact, the process just began and we are sure of having the PR.

I am currently 48 and won't be able to support my family working in Nigeria. Wify has encouraged me that we will be fine that abroad is meant for 2 people.

My only constraint is my age, hence my question. If you are in my shoe, will you travel?

By the way, I work for a private firm here in Nigeria and you know what it is working for a family company.

He be like say your head no correct, oga I wish I was in your shoe, I for don japa since, before she even invite me and my kids, see oga no come dey play with our intentions for here, if you no won japa then give me the opportunity since you over age, I beg you make water fall for my eye this early morning, you know how much I don Spend on top japa, my wife was given Australia visa in 2016, her brother wife set fire on the passport burn it ( what a wicked life), up till date she no get that opportunity again and he dey affect me like mad.

So bros I wish you well, Australia is a good country, pls go, to start alover won't take much from you, you are still young oo bros, pls go, and be focus, moreso your wife is a good woman, hold her thight.

I wish you well

No forget me ooo hmmm

I wish you well once again
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EduTechTainMent: 6:44am On Sep 03, 2023
obaidan:

This is not correct at all. The school you attend doesn't necessarily limit how far u go or the kind of jobs u get. Your mindset and quality of the skill you acquire determines that. Particularly in this age. I get the living comfortably on 1.1m in naija but so it seems until you are the one earning that money and picking the bills. About living paycheck to paycheck abroad, that's fallacy of hasty generalization. See a lot of Nigerians abroad are living well above their means and that's why it appears like they live paycheck to paycheck. If you run this shit with ur reasonable partner, if you guys run your lives according to your income level, you won't live paycheck to paycheck and you don't even need a fantastic job. Abroad no be wahala, na u wan drive Tesla, buy d type of your friend house when u never really reach.

Still goes to buttress my point - it's all about huzzling to survive. Even those abroad are trying hard daily, weekly, monthly, yearly to make ends meet. It's an unending circle of work, work and more work just to be comfortable and put bread on the table for the family. It's relative though and that's why I said in my earlier post that contentment of heart is the true richness.

Some of those people you mentioned live above their means and end up living from paycheck to paycheck had thesame mindset/attitude back home in 9ja. Moving abroad they most likely want to ball. Most Nigerians are used to working, earning a living and either huzzling to build a house or buying one. When they get abroad it's only natural they strive to do this. Some succeed but some of them don't. Some end up living on mortgages till they die and their families likely continue in thesame path. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I agree with you though to some extent. What the western world has and we don't have in here is a functional system. A system designed to ensure most people get what they need to survive. That's another reason why many westerners don't bother about going to college/University. Asides from the cost implications, some are satisfied with their technical jobs that gets their bills paid. Them go dey reason am say Who college help. smiley
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by obaidan: 7:53am On Sep 03, 2023
EduTechTainMent:

Are you implying students who attend OAU or covenant have limitations in job opportunities or how they get to explore life after school?

Education is not meant to cage you or limit your thinking. Rather education is meant to make you think out of the box. A child who not is brought up to critically think and explore the world of opportunities around him will be limited wherever he/she goes.

Not every child that schooled abroad is intellectually better than 9ja schooled kids. There is also the issue of innate intelligence. I agree the western world may better mould the education but that education may also push the child to the brink of destruction.
You know, to be successful, there's the part of intellectual capacity or ability and then there's the part of effective network or proper positioning. I just think students schooling abroad are better positioned to tap into the global/international opportunities, doesn't mean they are more intelligent. This is just me trying to say it makes sense when parents say they are relocating because of kids.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EduTechTainMent: 8:00am On Sep 03, 2023
obaidan:

You know, to be successful, there's the part of intellectual capacity or ability and then there's the part of effective network or proper positioning. I just think students schooling abroad are better positioned to tap into the global/international opportunities, doesn't mean they are more intelligent. This is just me trying to say it makes sense when parents say they are relocating because of kids.

You seem to be contradicting yourself sir. Weren't you the one whose post I read above stating the world is now more of a global village? If you weren't the one, then I apologise. My bad!!

Yes networking is good, but you don't need to be abroad to make/have the right network. LinkedIn and other social media platforms have changed the narrative in this regard. What global opportunities exist can be harnessed by all irrespective of location. All you need is the right minimum education, guide, skillset and grace.

Like I said it's all relative anyways. We all have varying yardsticks with which we measure success or failure. Personally for me, going abroad to work or schooling abroad isn't a recipe for success in life.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by obaidan: 8:09am On Sep 03, 2023
EduTechTainMent:

Still goes to buttress my point - it's all about huzzling to survive. Even those abroad are trying hard daily, weekly, monthly, yearly to make ends meet. It's an unending circle of work, work and more work just to be comfortable and put bread on the table for the family. It's relative though and that's why I said in my earlier post that contentment of heart is the true richness.

Some of those people you mentioned live above their means and end up living from paycheck to paycheck had thesame mindset/attitude back home in 9ja. Moving abroad they most likely want to ball. Most Nigerians are used to working, earning a living and either huzzling to build a house or buying one. When they get abroad it's only natural they strive to do this. Some succeed but some of them don't. Some end up living on mortgages till they die and their families likely continue in thesame path. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I agree with you though to some extent. What the western world has and we don't have in here is a functional system. A system designed to ensure most people get what they need to survive. That's another reason why many westerners don't bother about going to college/University. Asides from the cost implications, some are satisfied with their technical jobs that gets their bills paid. Them go dey reason am say Who college help. smiley
It is not difficult to be hardworking and have contentment. Whoever doesn't have contentment abroad will most likely have issues even if he was earning 3million naira a month in Nigeria. Yes there are bills abroad but the same abroad pays you well to be able to cater for those bills, it's not like u are on naija minimum wage to cater for abroad bills.

Abroad makes it possible to buy a house within your means. You will live very okay, enjoy good amenities, the size of your house doesn't have to be like ur friend's. Lots of Nigerians still live within their means abroad. The problem is that bad and negative story is already flying around while the good story is still trying to develop wings. No one talks about a man struggling using most of his funds to support his child's aspiration in sport academy, medical school, aviation school...we only get to hear about the man spending most of his earnings on mortgage for a home, which is not an entirely bad thing if well planned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Firefunmi2014: 8:22am On Sep 03, 2023
franchasofficia:
Reading all these chilling comments makes me more angry with APC and all their useless supporters.

Just imagine what Nigerian men are going through just to escape APC's 8 years of untold failure, kai.

Na wa oh, it is well oh

The problem with some Nigerians is that we assumed a lot and quickly pass a wrong judgement without having full information.

We tend to believe Nigeria problem is Apc, until we all realize that our common enemy is the elite not Apc and Pdp the better for us.

The decision to join my family abroad is purely my decision and not influence by any Apc economic issues, as a matter of fact, between 2015 and 2022 was my best years in my career, during this period, I have 2 houses and 2 landed properties that worth millions. In the couple of months, I will collect my rent which will cover my ticket money to visit naija on December. It is the way you plan your life that matters and stop blaming people for your unfortunate situation.

I have no regret living my job and settle in a foreign land with my family, my family take priority over any other things. one good thing a man can do for the his children is to give them that exposure and second passport. My journey in this foreign land is maximum of 15yrs and be back to Nigeria to enjoy the rest of my life in peace.
Life is too short for one to dwell in negativity.

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by davolas(m): 8:49am On Sep 03, 2023
Wat a very good woman u av got, besides y do nigeria makes some age too old, at 48 u re regarding yaself as at my age, uncle u just start life self, explore, Am sure that familizy business u talking about u will be marvel if u can add or explore ya skills, expecially that forklift she advised you to learn, it pays so so good

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by franchasofficia: 8:55am On Sep 03, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

The problem with some Nigerians is that we assumed a lot and quickly pass a wrong judgement without having full information.

We tend to believe Nigeria problem is Apc, until we all realize that our common enemy is the elite not Apc and Pdp the better for us.

The decision to join my family abroad is purely my decision and not influence by any Apc economic issues, as a matter of fact, between 2015 and 2022 was my best years in my career, during this period, I have 2 houses and 2 landed properties that worth millions. In the couple of months, I will collect my rent which will cover my ticket money to visit naija on December. It is the way you plan your life that matters and stop blaming people for your unfortunate situation.

I have no regret living my job and settle in a foreign land with my family, my family take priority over any other things. one good thing a man can do for the his children is to give them that exposure and second passport. My journey in this foreign land is maximum of 15yrs and be back to Nigeria to enjoy the rest of my life in peace.
Life is too short for one to dwell in negativity.
Good luck my brother, I wish you all the best, but will I do what you did? Definitely NO! Its insane and forget whatever you want to say, the reason Nigerians are migrating out of Nigeria in droves is not the elites, it is because of the woeful performance of Buhari and APC since 2015. Nigerians use to migrate but it wasn't a mass exodus like it is now.

Many Nigerians have become hopeless about Nigeria and its mostly the middleclass that are leaving Nigeria in droves because they are scared of the future of Nigeria as being managed by APC since 2015 which makes even high income earners to be scared of tomorrow in Nigeria, it wasn't this bad before Buhari came to power.

Yes you may have earned more or excelled more under Buhari's regime, but you are scared of the future knowing that Nigerian leaders can be useless and turn things south in a glimpse haven seen how Buhari and APC destroyed Nigeria within 8 years, you cannot deny that.

I can sense you are one of those that voted APC into power so you are stylishly trying to absolve them from the woes they have brought Nigeria to, continue oh but always tell yourself the truth, where you live abroad, are the leaders doing things the way Buhari, APC and now Tinubu are doing it in Nigeria? It takes one bold President to start a positive change in Nigeria, and a known corrupt criminal with too many shady past like Tinubu can never be bold enough to initiate that positive change we desire in Nigeria, so don't blame the elites, blame Buhari, Tinubu and APC who are in charge of charting the course Nigerians are following. If Tinubu wants to jail any corrupt politician or civil servant today, he has all the power to do it. If he wants to open past book of any corrupt politician or individual or elite that contributed in putting Nigeria in a mess, he has all the power to do it, so stop absolving useless corrupt leaders by blaming the elites cos indirectly you could be part of the elites, I could be one and but do we have the political power to effect any change? NO! So blame those who have the political power to effect positive changes but are too corrupt, too drunken with criminality and too attached to corrupt and criminal politicians to start any positive change that will transform Nigeria.

As for most Nigerian middleclass decisions to resign from their good paying jobs and some shutdown their viable businesses to migrate abroad in the name of paving way for their kids to have a brighter future, it is a grave mistake when done at close to retirement age when they ought to be planning their retirement, they want to go abroad to start hustling again like teenagers at close to retirement age, to the detriment of their health, instead of planning their life well in Nigeria and how to send their kids to study abroad.

This was what my eldest brother did, he had the opportunity to migrate abroad at almost 50yrs, but it meant he would shutdown his small company to migrate, he thought of it and rejected the urge but rather started planning ahead to still give his kids that same good future he planned to give them by migrating abroad, so he stayed back and continued with his company.

Today his company is a big firm employing many and earning huge such that he and his family goes on vacation to different countries twice a year and his 2 kids all studied abroad, except the last child who is still in secondary school.

Guess the advantages?

His kids grew up in Nigeria, embracing Nigerian culture and knowing their Nigerian root, so even as they are studying abroad they will never forget their Nigerian root to claim abroad which was the case of many Nigerian kids trained abroad from early age; most never return back to Nigeria, some become unruly and end up at the lowest part of the ladder of life due to excess freedom abroad gives to kids. which is the reason many Nigerians who gave birth to their kids abroad usually send them back to Nigeria to complete their secondary school education to give them Nigerian background and orientation.

Another advantage is that at 50something, my eldest brother no longer work his ass off trying to pay bills, he is a owner of his own successful company that employ people, and he will enjoy his retirement free of bill paying worries at old age.

Migrating abroad is good for the below class of people:

Financially broke and struggling Nigerians who have nothing much going for them in Nigeria.

Young unmarried graduates who are below 30yrs.

Newly married couple who are below 45yrs and not doing so well in Nigeria.

People in medical field being paid low or being shortchanged by the Nigerian healthcare sector, and they must migrate with a sure good paying job with sponsorship.

Anybody that is not in the above category migrating abroad solely to pave way for his kids future he can still plan while in Nigeria is making a mistake, he is gambling cos those kids may grow to forget him. The kids may grow to forget and reject Nigeria and that means they may never take care of you at old age after sacrificing your own life for them. Those kids may end up becoming one of those unruly kids who end up as nodowells abroad due to too much western culture exposure at early age.

Its more like a gamble, Nigerians should stop following the bandwagon and think for themselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EduTechTainMent: 9:44am On Sep 03, 2023
obaidan:

It is not difficult to be hardworking and have contentment. Whoever doesn't have contentment abroad will most likely have issues even if he was earning 3million naira a month in Nigeria. Yes there are bills abroad but the same abroad pays you well to be able to cater for those bills, it's not like u are on naija minimum wage to cater for abroad bills.

Abroad makes it possible to buy a house within your means. You will live very okay, enjoy good amenities, the size of your house doesn't have to be like ur friend's. Lots of Nigerians still live within their means abroad. The problem is that bad and negative story is already flying around while the good story is still trying to develop wings. No one talks about a man struggling using most of his funds to support his child's aspiration in sport academy, medical school, aviation school...we only get to hear about the man spending most of his earnings on mortgage for a home, which is not an entirely bad thing if well planned.

You are making sense.

May we all succeed in our endeavours.

May God grant us kids and spouses that will be the comfort of our eyes. Amen

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Emmanuel909090: 10:15am On Sep 03, 2023
Travel, it's time for you.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by aliucity1: 10:44am On Sep 03, 2023
Relax my brother.Your write up made me remember how it was for me last year May when I was about relocating to the UK with my kids.

My wife is a nurse.When we were planning relocating,I was the one who motivated my wife to read and study for all the exams that she needed to write for us to relocate.Infact,I was the one who sponsored my wife in school of nursing after searching for job as a human physiologist to no avail.

When God eventually opened the way and my wife had gone to the UK,it was time for me to join her.Meanwhiel,the kids were with me and my wife s cousin who was staying with us at that time.

The pressure was mounting from my wife to come over with the kids.She had rented 3 bedroom apartment,made everything set for us to come but all of a sudden,I developed cold feet.

I remember I also came in here to seek for advice. Alot of people advised that I take the step and start a new life in the UK.Finally,I made up my mind and I came here with my family.

Lest I forget, I wasn't earning anything close to what you are earning because I was just a federal civil servant with a monthly pay of about 150k.My age as at then was 40 years.

Fast forward to today,I thank the Lord for making me to take that bold step.I haven't gotten my desired job but I have been able to change jobs as often as I love.Currenrly,I work in the NHS as a pharmacy assistant and I tell you bro,it is worth it FINANCIALLY. What I get in a month with my wife's earning is boom.

The point is,please take this step and help yourself as well as your children.They will forever be grateful to you for this breakthrough. I have 3 kids and they are always grateful to us for bringing them to the UK.They have sound and undiluted education and it is FREE from nursery to secondary education.

Weigh your options and decide what you want.I believe you will be okay if you conquer your fears and run with FAITH.

God bless you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by ocelot2006(m): 11:19am On Sep 03, 2023
Offpointng:

Adding to your skills also, Learn how to kill snakes in Nigeria, starting from, Boas to Pythons, Vipers and the likes It'd be an essential skill when you get to Australia

Like this like this, I don make like $250 today alone killing snakes for my neighbours. I not only have free money from this skill, I also have free meat for the whole of September. Thank allah for my blasting freezer

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by chukzyfcbb: 12:24pm On Sep 03, 2023
mokset123:
how much do you earn monthly, if is not in the range of 600 and above. Just kukuma join her. She is right oh, abroad is meant for 2 except you want to loose her
Wtf!

600k is not enough reason to jettison abroad plans, shey u dey whine me? Wetin be 600k for Australian PR.

Na PR We dey talk o, legitimate stay. Bro quit playing

600k KO

Even 1m sef is not enough

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by psylliumhusk1: 12:38pm On Sep 03, 2023
Acidosis:

I tell you! Bad leadership is one of the main reasons middle age men and women are migrating to start all over.

N1.1m (Nigerian value) is a great pay anywhere in the world. There are only a few jobs/countries where your one month salary will conveniently cover your annual rent (12 months). This is the privilege this man wants to leave behind because of bad leadership.

Apart from corruption and stolen money, no governor, senator, or house of rep member in Nigeria earns N1.1m as basic monthly salary. Corruption is the reason this country is dying. On a normal level, this man ought to live larger than a commissioner and house of rep member.

When i see comments like this, I feel bad. I earn much much than 1.1m but but i dont see how im living large. I feel like maybe im soo wasteful. I also need to leave this country cos i know i will earn much more without location restriction and the profiling we get as freelancers from nigeria. Biko nwoke japa abeg!
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Firefunmi2014: 12:48pm On Sep 03, 2023
olril17:

God bless you sir

You made a valid point and you are right . For every decision taken in life there is always a consequence whether positive and negative. It is not everyone that goes to abroad that is going to do a carer job.

Some people got a job from Nigeria and traveled, will you say they should have turned down the offer? Let everyone lives with the consequences of their decisions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Visa To Mexico Is Not As Difficult As You Think ! / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Aerial Photos Of Ogbaru, Onitsha From Second Niger Bridge Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 223
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.